Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hello my friends. Today my mom asked me to fix her soundspeakers. When I did, she put up Terra's theme to play. Final Fantasy is great and I hope all y'all have a great day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I have an uncle who works at Nintendo and he managed to record the new animation for Supernova in FFVIIR:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi7egXgYcgk&t=26s

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

It isn't. Which brings us to the Official tier list.

S: 4, 5, 6, 7
A: 9, 10-2, 13: LR, Tactics
B: 3, 10, 12, 13, 13-2, 14
C: 1, 8, 15, CC
D: 11, MQ
F: 2

S tier doesn't contain Vagrant Story, not official enough.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

seiferguy posted:

If you've had a friend who's never played a final fantasy game, which one would you have them play? Gut instinct for me is 9, basically something that isn't too complicated and also wouldn't make you miserable?

I'll be honest, I would not recommend 9 as a first FF to anyone, even if I love it, because it's just so slow-paced. In my personal experience I've seen some weird-rear end poo poo from people who never FF'd before. The usual suspects (6 through 10) don't seem to click with non-fans very much. I have a friend who's a console gamer who tried 7 and loved it but found the combat insufferable, tried 15 and loved the combat (which I don't) but found the story insufferable, tried 6 and found everything about it bad, then he played 4 and it made him feel nostalgic for... games he never played before (he never played JRPGs from that era), for some odd reason, and after beating 4 he played 6/7/10 in that order.

Everyone I know who got into FFs from scratch in their 30s had to undergo some really strange story or game order.

I think it's completely random, and at this point I just say "try any of them for 5 minutes until one of them clicks".

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ItBreathes posted:

Can't you have every character quad-cast kotr every round in FF7?

kotr doesn't work with quadra magic

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You can of course just bash Emerald Weapon to death

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLufKvNxoMM

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

If you could leave the real world to go to Ivalice, would you?

I’ll be kind and let you choose which version of Ivalice to go to.

Ivalice is probably the FF world I'd like to go the least. The closest I see to Ivalice being a nice world to live in is if you're like a citizen of the evil empire living in an utopic futuristic paradise during some time frame where wars aren't happening because it just looks like they're living in a cleaner prettier healthier version of Coruscant.

Actually nevermind, now that I'm giving it some thought every FF world really sucks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Let's take a look at FF worlds and rate them in terms of how miserable life must be statistically speaking for you.

FF1: You never need to know all the crap that happened but you still live in a generic fantasy world. I rate it one and a half closed time loops out of five.
FF2: Hell literally exists. I rate it five Amano paintings out of five.
FF5: You have the chance of witnessing a black hole sucking your city firsthand and you didn't even need a worldwide effort for that. And then your world merges with another which probably telefragged a few folks even if they were already one in the first place. I rate it five nihilistic speeches out of five.
FF6: Average life seems to be fine until the world goes to complete poo poo. At which point you get a cinematic of the world cracking and going to poo poo. I rate it five Outlands out of five.
FF7: Heavy pollution and a worldwide panic but at the end most people are reasonably safe. Statistically speaking there's a good chance of you being born as a normal Joe in some random town. I rate it two 1938s and one IT out of five.
FF8: No.
FF8: For real, let's see, time compression that affects everyone in every point in time, radio doesn't work because there's a crazy witch screaming from the moon. Moon bleeds monsters into the Planet which is some truly horrifying poo poo. Child soldiers being hired by governments. Governments being manipulated by witches and general violence all around. And there's a gigantic futuristic civilization that is hiding from you just because. OVNIs fly around. I rate it five 1938s out of five.
FF9: Everyone is involved in a psychotic war, there's the mist. Otherwise life seems to be decent if you live pre or post the game events. I rate it two Legends of Legaia out of five.
FF10: You're stuck in a strange middle age where sacrifices are constantly needed and monsters assault people but it seems like to an average citizen nothing too bad is going on other than the worldwide panic that Sin will gently caress things up. FF10-2 seems to be the best world around. I rate FF10 three out of five Junji Itos and FF10-2 one out of five Disney Musicals.
FF12: There are multiple variants of oppressed people you can pick, mad max gangs, and then there's the evil empire that looks pretty drat utopic. I rate it two and a half Dredds out of five.
Vagrant Story: We don't see much of the world, they seem to live in a... like almost but not quite modern environment? Most of the game is spent in ruins of the old world, but the rest of the world seems like London a century ago. I rate it two assless chaps out of five.
FF13: "I'd say that qualifies as a demolition" is what one of the characters says about the state of the world you lived in. I rate it six "Cocoon has seen better days, that's for sure" out of five.
FF14: Every realm is in a constant red alert and state of war. Civilizations are constantly destroyed. Very hard to imagine what an average life is like but it seems like the best life would still be of someone dreading a gigantic dragon or an end-of-world-causing-amnesia or an invasion of the evil empire at any time. Thinking too hard about evil gods make them exist. On top of that if things get too good things to go poo poo too so it's FF3 all over. I rate it three benzodiazepines and half a painkiller out of five.

And the winner for world least likely to gently caress you up is FF10-2.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 12, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FFV: The world is being destroyed by Cloud of Darkness Mk 2. It's a gigantic tree made of all evil that wants to destroy the entire universe. Standing between you and annihilation is a guy named Butts who looks like this:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mateo360 posted:

why are 3 & 4 missing?

Because I honestly don't remember them enough. I mention 3 just to make sure it's not entirely missing but 4 was one I played a long time ago and unlike the others I never got to replaying it as an adult so I don't remember enough of it to joke about its world.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fightwithcrayons posted:

Feel like most of the population was in the city that got obliterated at the end.

They just moved to the edge.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Xad posted:

Dunno if anyone else in this thread has been following this series, but it's not dead and there's a new video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5f4-m77O90

The foreshadowing stuff was super interesting.

Also, Aeris rocks.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 16, 2019

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Whenever I talk about FF and nihilism (Exdeath, Kefka, Kuja, etc) I always skip 7, but the truth is that 7 is also part of it. Only a true hardcore metalocalypse-level nihilist would be the president of a company surrounded by soul-sucking reactors and be able to soundly sleep at night thinking "As soon as I die, my soul will be converted into electric power".

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I cannot believe that I'm going to both argue with twd my homie and defend nomura on the same post so this must be the fever

But it kinda made sense to me how an extreme idealist like Barret who firmly believed in his cause would want to take leadership after his victory, especially because the world would still need power coming from somewhere and he was a disenfranchised entrepreneur in the power industry in the first place.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

Aeris's soul powers Palmer's toilet.

It's an electric toilet because it needs the power from all the lard Palmer eats.

Aeris' soul is still being used to counter the black materia I see.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I mean

So did Midgar :stare:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

The White Dragon posted:

i guess you'd need coal for a big city like midgar but cosmo canyon has green energy

On a serious note post-FFVII they're operating on oil, not coal I believe.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fister Roboto posted:

They probably could have added a little flavor to show that the world was hosed. Like farmer NPCs complaining about their crops failing for no reason, or doctors saying that like half of the pregnant women they treat have stillbirths. Literally anything substantive beyond grandpa glowworm telling you "mako is the souls of the dead, also souls are real btw."

I mean, I suppose it could be more on the face, but it's not completely invisible - Midgar is surrounded by a dead barren wasteland for kilometers where mad max gangs roam. People in about every town comment about how trees are withering. Aeris sells flowers for a premium to businessmen because flowers just don't grow. Nibelheim Mountains look dead, grey, and are filled with monsters. It's mentioned multiple times that monsters start appearing around the reactors. I don't think they assume "oh it has to do with the planet's soul" but the effects of mako pollution are frequently commented.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I also read Barret going into oil as a throwaway ironic comment. "We dug deep and found a liquid we can convert into power" - no gently caress that, that is evil. Instead, we dug even deeper and found a different liquid we can convert into power.

What can go wrong :shepface:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is a bit of a random point but it's fun to think of Shinra from the PoV of anyone else: We in the real world also have to deal with pollution all the time and whether or not we're sucking souls to do that is not something we even consider because of how out-of-place it is. From the PoV of an average Joe Shinra are the evil guys and their story is not exactly great - Bugenhagen can be easily portrayed as a cult leader, and the entire crew is basically (as Reeve himself points out to Barret's hypocrisy) completely disregarding human life in pursuit of what they believe to be a spiritual goal. Even within the boundaries of FFVII's world and considering their "normal" is different than ours (it involves Materia, etc), the moment you take anything supernatural out of the equation they face a pretty obvious ending. You're all captured and arrested and realistically speaking you're all going to die just like Jesse Biggs and Wedge did. Even within the fantastic world of Gaia the party's decisions lead to a game over reasonably quickly.

The only difference is that Bugenhagen was right, Aeris was right, and beyond the boundaries of the fantasy in the player's world there was also an alien invasion that had taken root that superseded all the political turmoil.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The silent, sleeping, staring houses in the Sector 6 always dream. It would be merciful to tear them down.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

http://www.bogleech.com/ffvii.html

FFVII has always had the best and most diverse monster designs in the series so far as I know.

Although, while we're vaguely on the topic, FFX's Behemoth was always my favorite incarnation of this staple monster.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I think Aeris' Deus Ex Machina at the end of AC means she cleansed the Lifestream of Jenova and that's why people's diseases got away.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Remember the whole FF7 and FF10 share the same world thing.

Let's use our heads for a second.

Sephiroth is Yuna.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I love Gackt but for the exact reason that he made licensing his horrible character impossible.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
In the opening cinematic you see silhouettes moving in a building in the streets where Aeris is. As soon as you leave the reactor you pass by that same building, except it's now entirely destroyed. The very first building you reach in the very first screen you have access to once you leave the reactor is basically a symbol that you just killed innocent people.

It's like I said in my thread, FFVII is a game that would not have been made a few years later. It's a very raw, brutal deal and all of that went completely over people's heads. The moment you change the camera and the storytelling all of that will come in like a wrecking ball and you'll either have the most controversial game released in a while, or they'll have to cut everything and the game will be tone deaf.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

YggiDee posted:

For some people, the monsters are the opponents and the challenge is fighting them on even ground. For others, the mechanics are the opponent, and the challenge is making each and every variable yours to manipulate. In the latter case, monsters are just for keeping score.

I'm the kind of player who's way more interested in the planning than the execution. It's why I prefer TRPGs to whatever it is we're having right now, and even the mobile games in a way offer more of that than the main series. The two things that interest me the most in games are solving and optimizing complex decision trees, and finding the best combination of variables.

A game like FF13 which I know a lot of people love the combat just doesn't work for me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My personal experience with FF13 was not having fun with the combat, doing 5 min of Excel to figure out an optimal strategy, being extremely underwhelmed by it and then just cruising through the game more out of a dare because of my friends tried to play it and found it a miserable experience and to be honest so did I, which is why I seldom bring the game up.

I prefer to keep my unpopular opinions to myself and I remember at the time even as people shat on the game's story a lot of people found it to have a great battle system so it was transparent to me from the go that I was in the minority, but it's very hard to overstate how unappealing FF13's combat was to me.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I already did it and I refused to eat Turd-2.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

I don't really understand the 5 minutes of excel to optimize combat if only because 13 does quite a lot to differentiate enemy types to make different paradigms more or less effective and to alternate when you need to be swapping and if there are opportunities for using incomplete ATB gauges to throw off enemy attacks. To me it takes the obvious enemy typing of 10 (but with significantly more variation and better palette swaps) with X-2's in-battle class swapping and then sped the whole thing up which is basically the perfect system to enjoy engaging with each and every fight as a new puzzle and thing to beat.

I really, really like excel.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AFashionableHat posted:

Turd-3 fixes all the problems though

(it does not, I actually really non-ironically like Turd-1 but Turd-3 is WOOF)

The best part about FFXIII is not anything in-game, but how it acted as a cursed idol.

Once I beat the game I sold it to Raine, a friend of mine who was living in a different state. When asked about what I thought of the game I told him it was great. He said he tried to play it, played for 4-5 hours, and hated it tremendously.

A few years later I'm in a friend's house and I'm looking through his collection of games and find FFXIII. I ask him "oh wow, I did not picture you for someone who'd buy a final fantasy game" to which he replied "oh yeah, I don't. Raine just hyped the game up a lot and I believed him and bought it. I played it for some 5 hours and had to stop."

The thing had returned to my hometown. Cue doomhouse flashbacks.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

I mean, I do too but I guess to me other FF games take mere seconds to type into a cell A1 "Literally any Random Encounter" and cell A2 "Use Attack Command".

Sure, you can look back at my post history and you'll see how underwhelmed I was at doing a blind run of FFXII fairly recently. Or how much I dislike the simplicity of the decision tree of FFXIV rotations.

I guess what bothers me about FF13 is that yes, it's a puzzle, but it's not a particularly difficult one and it's not one I found enjoyable, which I as I said I understand to be in the minority. There's nothing about it that makes me particularly satisfied, and nothing about it that makes me curious to try new things. There was also nothing about it that made me want to get back to a second playthrough and break it some different way, which FF8 provides a lot. It wasn't hard enough to provide a challenge, and it wasn't an interesting feast of malformed systems that I could have fun breaking apart. It wasn't satisfying to shut down my brain while playing it, and it wasn't satisfying to excel it either. It was just very unfun. Even a game like FF5 has a huge horizontal diversity and a charming simplicity that makes me want to get back to it in a 4JF. Some games might interest me because they're hard, some might interest me because they're charming and simple, some might interest me because there's a nice impact and punch in the combat system and it feels visceral. Some games interest me because I have to stop and think hard and it's fun to do that, others just have such a pleasant combat that I can shut off my brain and grind to relax after hours of work. When playing FF13 I felt none of that, just a profound sense of boredom with the nice battle theme preventing me from falling asleep.

Looking at it I can see it represents a very pure streamlining of a certain type of design that in its purest form might appeal to a lot of people, but to me it was just joyless. It's a pretty unpopular opinion but alas, that's how I felt. It certainly isn't alone in the Final Fantasy room when it comes down to that.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

I feel like I get where you're coming from, and I think the issue here is we'd use excel in vastly different ways to "solve" these systems since we're interfacing with the the way these games combat systems are presented from opposite ends.

FFXII's is garbage on my side too.

The "I used excel for 5 min" wasn't supposed to be a big point of my post, if you also enjoy theorycrafting then you probably get it that it is not something I have to go out of my way to do. The point is that I didn't really feel any satisfaction at any point of the process, and feeling satisfaction from a game's combat is very subjective.

It's very easy for me to see why the game can be appealing to others.

I got a different vibe from FFXII. I don't feel like I can complain a lot about FFXIII's combat other than "I really, really don't like it" but holy poo poo do I have words to say about FFXII.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

zedprime posted:

I want to see the FF13 spreadsheet.

The last time someone asked me to see a FF spreadsheet I made it crashed their Excel.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mega64 posted:

She returned.

:psyboom:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I remember when they were asking people for name suggestions a long time ago, I believe it was in their FFX LP. Makes one feel old :v:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Half the money should go to me so I can make a FFVII remaster, half the money should go to the production of Vagrant Story 2, and half the money should go for FFVIR so you folks who want it can feel the pain.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The only proper translation of the game would involve completely removing Cait Sith from the game in favour of a new human character called Iscar Matthias.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NikkolasKing posted:

We must hear "this guy are sick" spoken aloud.

Aerith is from a slum you guys, check your privilege.

Hearing this guy are sick spoken aloud would be so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Onmi posted:

FFVII isn't an action rpg because it's the future. It's an action RPG because those are the only games nomura directs. He was very adamant about how he shouldn't direct an ff7 remake because he didn't see ff7 as his project. I knew from the moment he was announced as director what kind of game it would be.

It's pretty much this. Turn-based RPGs still sell, but Nomura has been adamant about action-based games and how he dislikes turn-based games.

If this was Persona 6 or a new Pokemon game, he would still direct them as an action game.