Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

porfiria posted:

Based on listening to Greenwald a little bit recently, he's talked about how Bolsanaro won in Brazil because people (including many of Greenwald's own gay/poor/brown friends) were so disillusioned by the reigning neoliberal order that in their desperation they turned to the one guy who was promising Change.

I can't speak to how accurate that is for the Brazilian situation, but I think it's pretty clear he's extending that view to the USA--that the Nazi Chuds are just the inevitable, and perhaps genuinely desperate and downtrodden, fruit of the evil soil of neoliberalism. I think that's a pretty blinkered view in a lot of ways; for the most part Trump's people are the same old middle class GOP assholes who voted for Romney and Bush. And I wouldn't call those racist scumbags the "least powerful" constituency; they're all part of the same system that's, you know, putting people in concentration camps.

In any event I can hardly blame someone for getting more worked up over the dudes talking about wanting to murder them than Google having contracts with the DOD or whatever the gently caress Glenn's on about. Greenwald's major problem from what I can tell is he has no real broader political philosophy so he just kind of goes off on his particular bugbears; those bugbears are valid targets but his dumb rear end contrarianism causes him to then dismiss anything he's not currently mad at.

That's an unfair characterization. His position is that Bolsanaro won, obviously, because the candidate leading by a long shot, Lula, has been eliminated in a judicial coup. So many people voted Bolsonaro or did not vote not because he was their first choice, but because all other choices that weren't discredited, unelectable neoliberals were taken away from them.

So to extend that to the US suicide did, somebody other than Trump would have won instead of the right, had the left not been depressed by the lack of a leftist candidate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
That's not his position and it's not why Bolsonaro won.

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1107718669453414405

http://www.brasilwire.com/in-plain-sight-bolsonaro-moro-and-the-cia/
https://www.truthdig.com/articles/the-cia-has-its-fingerprints-on-brazils-election/

He additionally maintains rampant voter suppression.

https://theintercept.com/2018/11/07...ion-in-the-u-s/

I don't even like Greenwald, who's a total shill and imperialist puppet (if not plainly, knowledgeably, aiding imperialism), but that's a total mischaracterization.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I forgot to mention suppression, but the plot between Bolsonaro and Moro is the Lula "coup" I mentioned. Also imperialist puppet, seriously, can you be more of a bad parody of a tankie

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You mentioned it but made it seem like the Brazilian judicial system was taking a natural course rather than executing a deliberate plot. As for Greenwald's imperialist puppetry you can hear it from the man himself:

quote:

Say what you will about the death penalty – reasonable people can certainly disagree about it, and it’s one of the issues to which I confess an irresolvable ambivalence, usually leaning against it.

quote:

The countries which the European Left makes a passionate cause of defending – from the Palestinian Authority to Iran and Syria, not to mention Cuba, China and multiple other historic Communist regimes –- routinely imprison and/or execute people without any due process, for reasons ranging from criticism of the Government to adultery and homosexuality. None of that sparks “outrage among Europeans,” because none of that provides an opportunity to depict the United States as the world’s real evil. As a result, the European Left is uninterested in it.

quote:

Right under the noses of the European Left, European Muslim extremists – whom the European Left instinctively defends -- have been systematically executing scores of people for the last several years: innocent people, not mass murderers, who have been randomly slaughtered, without any due process or judicial appeals of any kind.

http://glenngreenwald.blogspot.com/2005/12/true-character-of-european-left.html?m=1

quote:

No decent human being would possibly harbor any sympathy for Gadaffi

https://www.salon.com/control/2011/08/22/libya_13/

Plenty of anti-Assad, pro-Rojava (intervention) stuff abounds from Greenwald and The Intercept as well but I don't feel like digging.

Perry Mason Jar fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Aug 19, 2019

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
do you consider chomsky an imperialist puppet too. im just curious how far the tankie mind can go

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Chomsky has never been on the far left and I imagine he wouldn't place himself in it if you asked, or would do so with caveats if he did. Chomsky supported Obama and Clinton in her 2016 run. Angela Davis did too. They both did so with reservations but their aim was of course to encourage the left's votes in their favor.

If you want to know how far a principled mind can go I'd suggest developing one of your own. It's hard work, much harder than ambiguously deriding other's positions while hiding your own behind empty gestures into which a cogent position can be projected, but you can do it.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

steinrokkan posted:

That's an unfair characterization. His position is that Bolsanaro won, obviously, because the candidate leading by a long shot, Lula, has been eliminated in a judicial coup. So many people voted Bolsonaro or did not vote not because he was their first choice, but because all other choices that weren't discredited, unelectable neoliberals were taken away from them.

So to extend that to the US suicide did, somebody other than Trump would have won instead of the right, had the left not been depressed by the lack of a leftist candidate.

I think he conflates the voting constituencies of the two in a way that's pretty ridiculous (or he's just wrong about Brazil) and it leads him to make bizarre claims about how frivolous it is to march against Nazis. What you're talking about isn't really germane to my point.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

porfiria posted:

Based on listening to Greenwald a little bit recently, he's talked about how Bolsanaro won in Brazil because people (including many of Greenwald's own gay/poor/brown friends) were so disillusioned by the reigning neoliberal order that in their desperation they turned to the one guy who was promising Change.

I can't speak to how accurate that is for the Brazilian situation, but I think it's pretty clear he's extending that view to the USA--that the Nazi Chuds are just the inevitable, and perhaps genuinely desperate and downtrodden, fruit of the evil soil of neoliberalism. I think that's a pretty blinkered view in a lot of ways; for the most part Trump's people are the same old middle class GOP assholes who voted for Romney and Bush. And I wouldn't call those racist scumbags the "least powerful" constituency; they're all part of the same system that's, you know, putting people in concentration camps.

In any event I can hardly blame someone for getting more worked up over the dudes talking about wanting to murder them than Google having contracts with the DOD or whatever the gently caress Glenn's on about. Greenwald's major problem from what I can tell is he has no real broader political philosophy so he just kind of goes off on his particular bugbears; those bugbears are valid targets but his dumb rear end contrarianism causes him to then dismiss anything he's not currently mad at.

yeah dont get me wrong i totally understand the connection between usa imperialism and fascism both global and domestic, its the rest of the tweet and the context of it that bothers me

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The thing about Greenwald is that he only receives the negative attention he does because he has taken positions that run contrary to the bipartisan aims of the US government. He has some dumb views, but not to an extent any greater than pretty much literally any other journalist or public figure you can think of. In the greater context of US (or Brazilian in the case of his recent publishing of the Sergio Moro whistleblower stuff) journalism/politics, it doesn't make sense to consider him anything but a positive figure who has done good things outweighing any random dumb views he might have (and in the case of the Brazilians stuff, he is genuinely putting his life at risk).

He's basically a good example of how public sentiment can often be controlled and influenced without the need to tell lies (though that often happens too). All the media has to do is focus negative attention on the people (or topics) they want to attack or discredit, and that puts those people (and their defenders) on the defensive. It helps that harmful/bad mainstream views aren't perceived in nearly the same negative way. For example, Barack Obama is unquestionably a far worse person who has done and believed far worse things than Glenn Greenwald, but (at best) he gets more of a "yeah I disagree with him about some things" treatment instead of a 'lol look at this libertarian wacko" one. People just don't notice that double standard and how unreasonable it is, because any individual part might seem like it makes sense and they've been preconditioned to always assume good faith on the part of "credible" public figures.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

that's over-instrumentalizing him imo

he's not so important or heroic that he's above reproach for saying stupid poo poo

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Ytlaya posted:

The thing about Greenwald is that he only receives the negative attention he does because he has taken positions that run contrary to the bipartisan aims of the US government. He has some dumb views, but not to an extent any greater than pretty much literally any other journalist or public figure you can think of. In the greater context of US (or Brazilian in the case of his recent publishing of the Sergio Moro whistleblower stuff) journalism/politics, it doesn't make sense to consider him anything but a positive figure who has done good things outweighing any random dumb views he might have (and in the case of the Brazilians stuff, he is genuinely putting his life at risk).

He's basically a good example of how public sentiment can often be controlled and influenced without the need to tell lies (though that often happens too). All the media has to do is focus negative attention on the people (or topics) they want to attack or discredit, and that puts those people (and their defenders) on the defensive. It helps that harmful/bad mainstream views aren't perceived in nearly the same negative way. For example, Barack Obama is unquestionably a far worse person who has done and believed far worse things than Glenn Greenwald, but (at best) he gets more of a "yeah I disagree with him about some things" treatment instead of a 'lol look at this libertarian wacko" one. People just don't notice that double standard and how unreasonable it is, because any individual part might seem like it makes sense and they've been preconditioned to always assume good faith on the part of "credible" public figures.

Look at this massive believer in bourgeois journalism.

Zas posted:

that's over-instrumentalizing him imo

he's not so important or heroic that he's above reproach for saying stupid poo poo

Yeah, if you need Glenn Greenwald to know that imperialism is bad, you're pretty hosed.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, if you need Glenn Greenwald to know that imperialism is bad, you're pretty hosed.

*gestures at America, England, France, Germany, and Brazil in no particular order*

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

i agree with him most of the time, it just sucks that you can't say he said something stupid without having to like, discuss imperialism in the abstract a bunch. i know all that poo poo already

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

porfiria posted:

I think his practical side is obsessed with abuses of power by corporate and state entities and where those entities intersect, and his idealistic side is obsessed with upholding the values of constitutional law and constitutional mythos. Those two sides can be contradictory at times, but I guess most people are a bit contradictory.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Chomsky has never been on the far left and I imagine he wouldn't place himself in it if you asked, or would do so with caveats if he did.

Chomsky identifies politically as Anarcho-Syndicalist, which is far left.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Chomsky identifies politically as Anarcho-Syndicalist, which is far left.

I haven't looked very hard but hilariously enough I'm not finding much to support that he was identifying as one before Monty Python and the Holy Grail

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1163589661677125632?s=19

This entire thread is pretty insane, I recommend reading it.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

bowser posted:

https://twitter.com/mooncult/status/1163589661677125632?s=19

This entire thread is pretty insane, I recommend reading it.

Can you bring me up to speed on why these photos were being sold and what motivation they had to photoshop them? Assume you're speaking to someone who barely knows who Ghislaine even is

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Basically she's an intelligence asset and, most likely, so is the reporter involved.

Looking very likely that the CIA or Mossad killed Epstein. Motives say CIA, MO says Mossad.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Is there any evidence that he is dead as opposed to in witness protection organized by the intelligence agencies to protect their valuable asset?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Somaen posted:

Is there any evidence that he is dead as opposed to in witness protection organized by the intelligence agencies to protect their valuable asset?

I mean, I'm mostly just assuming that because faking a death long-term is basically impossible nowadays unless the faked person plans to live like Osama bin Laden. If he's not dead, I can basically guarantee you that's gonna leak, and sooner rather than later.

Also they generally don't hang on to burned assets. If you're no longer reliable, your "importance" stops mattering and you eat a bullet or mysteriously strangle yourself barehanded, and Epstein is pretty blatantly unreliable on account of "he got arrested and was gonna sing like a canary."

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

"Epstein's death was faked so he could be executed elsewhere."

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I mean, I'm mostly just assuming that because faking a death long-term is basically impossible nowadays unless the faked person plans to live like Osama bin Laden. If he's not dead, I can basically guarantee you that's gonna leak, and sooner rather than later.

I don't know any detailed history of how CIA handles its assets and stopped following the highly horeshit saturated news on the case, but in the chain of people in comical and highly improbable set of events from the cop killer cellmate on deathrow, sleeping officers and not working cameras to the head of the prison department with a slap on the wrist, I think people are much more likely to keep quiet about a witness protection operation rather than a murder-silencing of the notorious pedophile operation, especially such a highly publicized one

I don't care either way but I am very curious if any evidence appeared besides the blue head picture of the corpse and statements by the government

Somaen fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 25, 2019

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Basically she's an intelligence asset and, most likely, so is the reporter involved.

Looking very likely that the CIA or Mossad killed Epstein. Motives say CIA, MO says Mossad.

Not sure if this is a joke or not.

Acosta's claim that Epstein "belonged to intelligence" strikes me as an rear end-covering lie. Given the sheer weirdness of the case, I suppose I could buy a US intelligence agency actually being involved somehow. But Mossad?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Silver2195 posted:

Not sure if this is a joke or not.

Acosta's claim that Epstein "belonged to intelligence" strikes me as an rear end-covering lie. Given the sheer weirdness of the case, I suppose I could buy a US intelligence agency actually being involved somehow. But Mossad?

They were all involved.

Robert Maxwell was literally a Mossad super-spy.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

They were all involved.

Robert Maxwell was literally a Mossad super-spy.

Just looked him up, and wow:

Wikipedia posted:

A hint of Maxwell's service to the Israeli state was provided by John Loftus and Mark Aarons, who described Maxwell's contacts with Czechoslovak Communist leaders in 1948 as crucial to the Czechoslovak decision to arm Israel in the 1948 Arab–Israeli War. Czechoslovak military assistance was both unique and crucial for the fledgling state as it battled for its existence. It was Maxwell's covert help in smuggling aircraft parts into Israel that led to the country having air superiority during their 1948 War of Independence.

The British Foreign Office suspected that Maxwell was a secret agent of a foreign government, possibly a double agent or a triple agent, and "a thoroughly bad character and almost certainly financed by Russia." He had known links to the British Secret Intelligence Service (MI6), to the KGB, and to the Israeli intelligence service Mossad.

Crazier and crazier.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Now look up Lesley Wexner, his relationship to Epstein, and his connection with Southern Air Transport.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Maxwell is basically The Boss for Israel, Ghislaine is EVA, Epstein is Volgin. Haven't decided who gets to be :ocelot:Ocelot:ocelot: , maybe Dersh.

Chris Tucker is Sigint.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
But what does the seth rogen movie have to do with that

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

Panzeh posted:

Yeah, Glenn will never actually poo poo on a fellow rich media personality. He's not really fighting Bolsonaro in any real sense in any case, he just whines from his ivory tower, similar to the #resistance because bourgeois 'journalism' is a waste of time.

What more could Glenn Greenwald do against Bolsonaro? Pretty much the biggest thing a journalist can do to fight a politician is uncovering and publishing damning transcripts of scandalous lawbreaking in his administration, and Greenwald already did that - and we can see it mattered because the administration would've thrown him in jail if not for the Supreme Court. Do you want him to just assassinate Bolsonaro?

Obviously it would be cool if he were a communist, but regardless of what he believes, he's exposed multiple insanely important stories in multiple countries in multiple languages. Ineffectual is the last label I'd put on him.

Civilized Fishbot fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Sep 2, 2019

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

meh none of this is proven and frankly discussing russian election interference is a distraction from the real issues, such as anything that does not involve russia

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I read that story and it's all unofficial random source poo poo which comes off like CIA giving newsmedia talking points out to journalists who've already bought into russiagate wholesale. Literally who gives a gently caress is my point. gently caress the CIA and their organized crime rings.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

But they're our organized cr I'm sorry I can't do it

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Bump

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It's a good time for it, isn't it? Days enough after the Ukraine/whistleblower news breaking for the important bits to sift through the rest. Formal impeachment inquiry to maybe start soon.

lol that Biden was the straw.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
piffle and bullshit, the 'ukraine whistleblower scandal' is just a conspiracy theory meant to draw attention away from important matters

the democrats' obsession with it just proves that it's trivial at best, and more likely total nonsense

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I'm sure this time, Trump will be taken to task.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
There is literally more evidence that Avicii knew the truth about little st. james and was offed because of it, than there is evidence that donald trump committed an impeachable offense on the phone with the president of Ukraine, and I mean that in the most flattering and complimentary possible terms to the latter case.

https://twitter.com/bridgietherease/status/1160437270928740352

In 2011 Avicii played multiple shows in the Hamptons followed by shows in Haiti. Wonder how many people have connections in Haiti and the Hamptons? Anyway the day he released the video he canceled all of his scheduled future events. And later "killed himself" allegedly with self-inflicted wounds from a broken wine bottle in the sultanate of Oman.

I'm sure the nonbinding inquiry into investigating whether to begin impeachment at some point is really the hammer that knocks the nail in. That'll do the job the FBI couldn't.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

GreyjoyBastard posted:

piffle and bullshit, the 'ukraine whistleblower scandal' is just a conspiracy theory meant to draw attention away from important matters

the democrats' obsession with it just proves that it's trivial at best, and more likely total nonsense

https://twitter.com/rckennard/status/1071211530077724672

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

“The server, they say Ukraine has it,” Trump says according to the transcript. “I would like to have the Attorney General call you or your people and I would like you to get to the bottom of it.”