Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

How are u posted:

lmao Russia has actively been rebuilding, modernizing, and testing new generations of nuclear weapons for like the last decade. Poor plucky little Russia, forced into nukes by Amerikkkan Imperialism.

correct, russia has been developing new nuclear weapons systems ever since dubya pulled the us unilaterally out of the anti-ballistic missile treaty in 2002. this is why it is so dangerous to normalize breaking all of the arms control treaties with russia because putin = bad. deliberately breaking the status quo equilibrium of nuclear deterrence just forces the other side to counter by developing new weapons technologies, which just makes nuclear war more likely.

and don't act like this is some sort of weird tankie position, this has been standard policy in the us since the 70s. when bush pulled out of the ABM treaty, he was panned by democrats and state department wonks for doing so. now russiagate has rotted liberal brains so badly that they cheer on as the arms control work of decades is thrown out the window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

predicto posted:

I'll bite. Exactly which "liberals" have applauded Trump's pull-out of the INF treaty?

i was actually talking to one of people involved in negotiating the new START treaty a few weeks ago (they know a family member tangentially). i was kind of dismayed at how thoroughly they believed in the russiagate stuff, and how little they cared about the US backing out of the IMF treaty.

here's a quote from a former democratic candidate CNN interviewed in their story about the withdrawl:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/politics/nuclear-treaty-inf-us-withdraws-russia/index.html

quote:

Retired Gen. Wesley Clark, a former NATO supreme allied commander, said on CNN "New Day" that the termination of the treaty also marks "one more ratchet up on the movement towards a more adversarial relationship with Russia."

But he added that the US "really didn't have a choice" because the treaty wasn't effective.

"We're going into a new competition, a military competition, including a competition with nuclear arms against development that Russia, and to some extent, China are making," Clark said. "No one wants to do this. It's expensive, it's dangerous, but it's necessary if we're going to maintain our security in an uncertain world."

perhaps 'applauded' was too strong, but a lot of the liberal press adopted this tone of 'dangerous, but necessary for national security.'

GoluboiOgon
Aug 19, 2017

by Nyc_Tattoo

predicto posted:

General Wesley loving Clark? That's all you go? The guy who said "I would have been a Republican if Karl Rove had returned my phone calls" Wesley Clarke?

And no, the liberal press did not "adopt a tone of 'dangerous, but necessary for national security." I've done some googling, and as far as I can tell that is entirely in your imagination.

this is from the council for foreign relations magazine. pretty representative organ of the liberal national security people. if you're saying that those are the worst wing of the democratic party, then yes, but they still have a lot of influence.

https://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/china/2019-08-29/good-riddance-inf-treaty

"Exiting the INF Treaty is no panacea, but it opens much-needed possibilities for Washington to reset the military balance with Beijing in its favor. Washington should use this opportunity to develop and deploy its own missiles to counter the Chinese threat—or risk being steamrolled in a future confrontation."