Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burns
May 10, 2008

The Force is more of a byproduct of Life, sort of like Oxygen released by plants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

They should actually make the Shadows of the Empire movie that I bought a Making Of book for in the late 90s

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Which eastern religion did he steal that from?

Taoism

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Outpost22 posted:

So according to Lucas, there's just" the Force" and "the dark side of the Force?"

The Bogan side

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Owlbear Camus posted:

Yep. As I understand it Lucas' idea is The Force is benign/good. It's kind of the "default state" of the Force until beings tap into it to wield it. It's not a "light side" so much as it's just what the force is until it becomes polluted. The Dark Side is a corruption of The Force that happens when it's wielded contrary to the Will of the Force for vulgar selfishness or aggressive violence.

Yeah, Dark Siders are constantly bending to the force to their own desires and messing stuff up, whereas Jedi are supposed to listen to The Force. Part of the problem with the Jedi Council in the Prequels is that they have also stopped listening to The Force, and are so hidebound in their traditions that they're ignoring things they really shouldn't be. It's why in AOTC Yoda and Mace Windu admit their ability to 'hear' the force has diminished. It's also why Palpatine can hide so easily among the Jedi.

Qui-Gon isn't on the Council because he puts The Force before the Council rules, which is what a Jedi SHOULD do, but the Masters have forgotten that.

Let's talk about a good Star Wars movie. I just watched Rogue One again with the wife. Great movie, only thing that stands out as weird is that AI Leia is with the rebel fleet attacking Scarif. Kind of makes her bluff in A New Hope really, really bad. Although you could read it as she's just annoying Vader because they both know at that point it's sh!t.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...
Rogue One is not a good Star Wars movie.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

sebmojo posted:

The Bogan side

just a cheeky force push, yeah?

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

i like Rogue One better than most Star Wars movies but those AI actor replacements looked terrible and are just going to look worse and worse with age

also Ip Man was under used imo

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Earwicker posted:

i like Rogue One better than most Star Wars movies but those AI actor replacements looked terrible and are just going to look worse and worse with age

also Ip Man was under used imo

The Leia in TROS is almost passable but the Rogue One Leia is alarming. Theyre gonna age like early high-concept CG. Like Spawn. Or Mummy Returns

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I loved Rogue One.

All the planet hopping.

The real ragtag, desperation of the Rebels.

Who are the commanding Rebels anyways? They always seem like English jerks.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

redshirt posted:

I loved Rogue One.

All the planet hopping.

The real ragtag, desperation of the Rebels.

Who are the commanding Rebels anyways? They always seem like English jerks.

Disaffected imperial politicians and military officers, some of whom are aristocratic or otherwise have a strong power base on their own planet, and resent being muscled in on by imperial star fleet officers. So yeah English jerks basically.

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Empty Sandwich posted:

just a cheeky force push, yeah?

heaps dark mate

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Andor was the only good star war the fat cats at disney inc manage to squeeze out their bums

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

Similarly people who say that Andor is the best Star Wars thing in years just need to accept they don’t actually like Star Wars

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

No one likes Star Wars.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Star Wars is a cool aesthetic but there is nothing interesting to be said about the nature of the force or the philosophy of the jedi or empire, and there never has been.

Like it's a fairy tale in space it's great but does not need a 12 novel series by some bottom tier franchise contractor to explore the nature of man (but the man is a blue human and every blue human is a master spy)

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Feb 3, 2024

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Chrs posted:

Similarly people who say that Andor is the best Star Wars thing in years just need to accept they don’t actually like Star Wars

i don't think most of us have a problem with that? like yes, I like Rogue One and Andor quite a bit more than any other Star Wars stuff, and i do not remotely consider myself any kind of true and proper "Star Wars fan". that's... not exactly hard to accept.

I like the first three movies a lot too, but only for nostalgic reasons, if A New Hope came out today as a brand new thing I'd probably not care for it very much either. but Andor was just a good slow burn espionage show regardless of setting. the closest thing ive seen to LeCarrean scifi.

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Feb 3, 2024

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Crazy Joe Wilson posted:

Yeah, Dark Siders are constantly bending to the force to their own desires and messing stuff up, whereas Jedi are supposed to listen to The Force. Part of the problem with the Jedi Council in the Prequels is that they have also stopped listening to The Force, and are so hidebound in their traditions that they're ignoring things they really shouldn't be. It's why in AOTC Yoda and Mace Windu admit their ability to 'hear' the force has diminished. It's also why Palpatine can hide so easily among the Jedi.

In the high republic books, there was a faction called the Path of the Open Hand that believed no force abilities, light or dark, should be used by anyone and doing so upsets the universe. So like if a jedi would save someone's life with their abilities in one place, the universe would kill someone somewhere else to keep balance. Because of this, they hated the jedi order and thought its existence did more harm than good. Then it turned out that their leaders were cool with killing innocent people to further their aims, so this nuanced faction just got completely ruined since they were too cowardly to make the jedi look remotely bad.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

SidneyIsTheKiller posted:

a pee-pee doo-doo opinion.

Lister posted:

In the high republic books, there was a faction called the Path of the Open Hand that believed no force abilities, light or dark, should be used by anyone and doing so upsets the universe. So like if a jedi would save someone's life with their abilities in one place, the universe would kill someone somewhere else to keep balance. Because of this, they hated the jedi order and thought its existence did more harm than good. Then it turned out that their leaders were cool with killing innocent people to further their aims, so this nuanced faction just got completely ruined since they were too cowardly to make the jedi look remotely bad.

Honestly that makes thematic sense. "Don't do anything masses! (While we do whatever we want)." Sounds like quite a lot of non-interventionist cults.

I've been sharing my old Legends comics with some co-workers who like Star Wars. Nothing like some good 'ole 90s Tales of the Jedi to power some nostalgia trips.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
I just found out that the star of the prequel series was bullied so hard he wanted to kill himself. :smith:

Why are Star Wars fans so mean? :(

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

I just found out that the star of the prequel series was bullied so hard he wanted to kill himself. :smith:

Star Wars fans sure do hate Star Wars!

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
They shouldn't have had a kid in Star Wars at all. Throw out all the stuff from Episode One and just start the trilogy with Episode 2's story and just change it to have this be the first time Anakin and Padme meet one another.

It's his first time meeting a girl IRL who isn't an asexual Jedi and everything she's doing is just making him feel super uncomfortable.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Oh I was talking about the actor who played Jar Jar, people really bullied the kid actor too?!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

redshirt posted:

The prequels were highly planned. The sequels, not so much.

yeah. i am mixed on the prequels. i dont think they were good and i think lucas is a terrible writer but solid ideas man and i like alot of the designs but like it never comes together and the writing hurts alot of it. for all peoples bitching about obi wan, i think that show did a pretty good job with the vader obi wan thing.

Outpost22 posted:

Oh I was talking about the actor who played Jar Jar, people really bullied the kid actor too?!

yeah. kids are dickheads. i also bet you money, jake lloyd bragged hard about it because who the gently caress wouldnt, then the movie is a mess and he looks like a twerp. mix in 30 year old weird nerds who probably got in on the bully action and you have him playing pod racers with the cops 20 years later.

JediTalentAgent posted:

They shouldn't have had a kid in Star Wars at all. Throw out all the stuff from Episode One and just start the trilogy with Episode 2's story and just change it to have this be the first time Anakin and Padme meet one another.

It's his first time meeting a girl IRL who isn't an asexual Jedi and everything she's doing is just making him feel super uncomfortable.

yeah. i would have had a cold open like the opening in episode 1. anakin and obi wan are on a random diplomatic mission that goes side ways, they manage to break into the control room and defuse it, then we move on to the next part of the plot.

Earwicker posted:

i don't think most of us have a problem with that? like yes, I like Rogue One and Andor quite a bit more than any other Star Wars stuff, and i do not remotely consider myself any kind of true and proper "Star Wars fan". that's... not exactly hard to accept.

I like the first three movies a lot too, but only for nostalgic reasons, if A New Hope came out today as a brand new thing I'd probably not care for it very much either. but Andor was just a good slow burn espionage show regardless of setting. the closest thing ive seen to LeCarrean scifi.

I like the original trilogy, andor, parts of rogue one, TFA, parts of the last jedi, a bunch of mandolorian, and a ton of the old and new games. i still like star wars and always will. i am just not as in love with it as i was when i was a kid.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Outpost22 posted:

because nerds are bitter rear end in a top hat and you either double down or unfuck up your brain. people love to blame jar jar for episode one but while he sucked, he was more a symptom then a cause. and i sure as gently caress dont blame the actor. when i was a teenager, i blamed hayden christiansen, but like now, its clearly not his fault and he seems like a good dude who was hosed by a director who couldnt write for poo poo.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Dapper_Swindler posted:

people love to blame jar jar for episode one but while he sucked, he was more a symptom then a cause. and i sure as gently caress dont blame the actor.

a colleague of mine has a whole podcast just about that https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/introducing-the-redemption-of-jar-jar-binks/id1683213476?i=1000611665620

and i agree there were way more problems with the prequel trilogy than jar jar. i never took issue with any particular actor or character so much as the aesthetic of the whole thing just felt way off.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Episode 1 could have just straight up find and replaced "Quigon jin" with "Obiwan" and "Obiwan" with "Anakin Skywalker" and would have been at least 2 times as good.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Everything people hate in the Prequels you can see starting in Return of the Jedi, and then moreso in the Special Editions. He was marinating in those Prequel vibes for a while.

And one could argue it was all there from the beginning, but Lucas had other people to focus everything in ANH and TESB.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
if they had just gone the darth jarjar route all would have been forgiven

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Mozi posted:

if they had just gone the darth jarjar route all would have been forgiven

apperently in the new canon he is a hobo. If i were to write about Jar jar, i would have made him become a useful idiot for the empire and used as the token alien senator/rep who gets wheeled out to show that sheev loves the aliens and poo poo. and while he is dumb as gently caress, he has enough brains to realize he is backing awful poo poo. maybe he just flees away from it all and goes missing and eventually like 10 years after the fall of the empire, some reporter tracks him down where he is working at some orphanage or somehting somewhere on some backwater planet.

Costco Meatballs
Oct 21, 2022
jeez just realized this was the last movie I saw in theatres with my partner of 11 years before we broke up. that sucks.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Jar Jar sucked, but he really did catch an unfair amount of flack for his part in ruining episode 1. It was ruined almost the whole way through, but Jar Jar was just such a BIG and OBVIOUS problem that it was easy to pin all your negative feelings on him, even if he was a symptom and not the cause

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

redshirt posted:

Everything people hate in the Prequels you can see starting in Return of the Jedi

i think return of the jedi is the weakest of the original trilogy but at least it didn't have that weird 50's jetsons meets rebel without a cause aesthetic from the prequels. tho im sure george had it in mind already

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

One kind of nice thing about the new Disney stuff is there were a lot of SW nerds who either were too young for the prequel hate, or realized how lovely they were being, and Jar Jar's actor has gotten a lot of praise and apologies lately. They even put him in The Mandalorian!

Hayden Christenson also is getting a comeback, he's actually really great in the new shows

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Snow Cone Capone posted:

One kind of nice thing about the new Disney stuff is there were a lot of SW nerds who either were too young for the prequel hate, or realized how lovely they were being, and Jar Jar's actor has gotten a lot of praise and apologies lately.

on the other hand Kelly Marie Tran and Moses Ingram from the new movies and shows have also faced a lot of harassment and bullying from SW nerds so I'm not sure the Disney acquisition really changed much in that regard

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

oh I don't credit Disney with it at all, more using them as a timeframe reference. Nerds are still lovely but it is nice to see Ahmed Best and Hayden Christenson get some love after so much hate

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Christensen’s performance has aged pretty well I think. It’s a bizarre role. the story of how a guy becomes a mass murderer and fascist, but he’s also a romantic swashbuckling hero. Flash Gordon in Gus Van Sant’s Elephant. People disliked Christensen’s Anakin and it’s not hard to see why, the character as written goes from dickhead to evil monster and suffers horribly (melodramatically) along the way. But Star Wars IS a melodrama and Christensen clearly understood the brief better than a lot of the fans did.

The way I remember it, mass mockery of Jar Jar was mostly directed at Jar Jar rather than specifically at Best, who most people probably don’t and didn’t know by name—it’s not like you can recognize him to mock. So the character takes the hate. Still, it must have been awful for him. Imagine the demands of filming the part. Nobody had any clue how to do a full-CG character then, and after going through all that poo poo your reward is everyone hates you and you come to stand for everything bad about the dreaded prequel. On top of all the low brow “gently caress jar jar” stuff one of my first exposures to liberal nerd angst was the arguments about whether the Gungans were racially insensitive or not.

The media and fan treatment of Lloyd was way worse, he was a kid doing publicity, nowhere to hide. There was such intense interest and reviewers were weirdly harsh on him (“Mannequin Skywalker”) and fans took their cue to go off the deep end about it. Sure it’s a cornball performance but he’s nine years old lol.

I was also a kid at the time and it’s weird in retrospect how totally I accepted this as a normal part of life, that sometimes kids just get bullied by millions to the point where them sucking becomes a generally accepted part of the zeitgeist. My friends and I all knew Jake Lloyd sucked in Phantom Menace. Based on what knowledge of acting I don’t know. But we definitely knew he sucked. It’s weird what kids will accept as normal. A while after Phantom Menace, obviously 9/11 happened while I was in school and we got to watch it on tv at morning break, and in the afternoon everyone’s parents came to pick them up from school (not usual for me, I took the bus). The atmosphere was a bit panicky and my mom was absolutely aghast about the whole thing, she was very worried the world order was about to fall apart basically. This, at the time, went over my head. I don’t think I’d ever seen her like that before and it kind of confused me why it would have affected her so much. Now I think back to it, it confuses me why I was confused. I could tell 9/11 was bad on some level obviously, but I guess my small child brain felt like it just fit in with the general tenor of events. They hadn’t even canceled the school day so how important could it really be?

Earwicker posted:

on the other hand Kelly Marie Tran and Moses Ingram from the new movies and shows have also faced a lot of harassment and bullying from SW nerds so I'm not sure the Disney acquisition really changed much in that regard

people who spend time making a big angry deal of grievance against Star Wars prequel/sequel minutiae because it doesnt align with the ideal fanfiction Star Wars in their head are, literally, detached from reality, and people like them foster a wider culture of vindictive hatred for the objects of their obsession.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

skasion posted:

The way I remember it, mass mockery of Jar Jar was mostly directed at Jar Jar rather than specifically at Best, who most people probably don’t and didn’t know by name—it’s not like you can recognize him to mock. So the character takes the hate.

sadly this is untrue https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/jar-jar-binks-actor-ahmed-best-racism-suicide-contemplation-1202032520/

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

She's just the girl. She's just the girl...the girl you want. :whip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piss And Shittium
Dec 20, 2023
Oh great, I'm glad there's a thread about this piece of poo poo movie. Hands down one of the worst movies I've ever had the misfortune of watching. A pathetic ending to the "Skywalker Saga" where all the Skywalkers are dead and a fuckin' Palpatine takes the name. Great move. Absolutely stellar. This loving stinking, festering pile of mucus actually turned out WORSE than TLJ, now that's saying something.