Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
I'm not gonna see it unless I know for a fact that someone milks a walrus onscreen. TLJ just set the bar so high w/r/t milking scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

skasion posted:

Alternative alternative: The Rise of Bigger Luke

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bert Roberge posted:

https://twitter.com/EntEarth/status/1116756494609870848

They glued a desk lamp/trumpet mute on a wheel and called it a character.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT IT IS OR WHAT IT DOES BUT I LOVE IT !!!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

504 posted:

Is it solely a goon thing that whenever someone makes a general comment which is broadly true a bunch of spergs start obsessively listing exceptions and screaming RREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE?

actually, I think you'll find that isn't true in all cases, such as

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Big Beef City posted:

"Just use a fork, Luke"

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

They did that, it was called Solo?

:flame:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

armchairyoda posted:

Fuuuuuuck... wasn’t there an EU storyline with a clone of the emperor?

Being the “Star Wars EU”, I fully expect it to have sucked Star asses so this movie can now one-up TLJ as the ultimate Star Trash.

his name was sheeev, do u really have to ask?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bogus Adventure posted:

Rian Johnson made a poo poo movie, and has chosen to spend the rest of his life defending it online instead of moving on with his life.

Lol.

Everybody please post Rian Johnson defending TLJ ITT, TIA

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

"this whole war is a sham, it's just to prop up the moneyed interests" and i want to know what he thought an appropriate resolution to that would have been

Yup

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Well excuse Shmi, princess!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
I get the same gaff from the Doctor Who community in response to my scathing reviews of modern Doctor Who episodes. There's always that fan that says, "you're not a true fan because you have negative things to say," as if being a fan means you must love everything about it unconditionally and blindly.

IMO, the problem with Rogue One is that the film was presented in the drab, shallow, pointless-action oriented format of modern movies, which simply doesn't work for a Star Wars film. Abrams was careful to maintain rich colors in TFA to make it feel/look more connected to the original trilogy. Rogue One to me looks like a modern reboot of the original franchise, and like so many of those, it fails to match or exceed expectations set by it's source material.

The original Star Wars films set the bar really high in terms of quality, but the ingredients worked perfectly. Disney is attempting to tell a SW story as a modern doomsday action flick, and the result is hogwash. Why not stick to the format of the original trilogy? You know it works, you know it sells, you know it will please both new and old fans. To think audiences would prefer a colorless, drab, mindless action version to the formula of the original trilogy is patently absurd.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

sebmojo posted:

but doctor i am the new star wars trailer

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

QuarkJets posted:

I must see and hear jar jar's face getting farted on by a space camel

I gotchu fam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXaDtAtpLPs

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Savage For The Winjun posted:

Did you forget the part where padme shows her bellybutton!?

how could we

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

SciFiDownBeat posted:

He served as padme's proxy in the Senate while she was pregnant and was the one who proposed ceding emergency powers to sheev which allowed him to take power

Best part of the movie by the way

Ok, where does it say the emperor's name was Sheev? And, is it short for Sheeven?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Bogus Adventure posted:

Also, what does "Ren" mean. It's supposedly a title. Is it like the "Assistant to the Regional Manager" to Darth's "Regional Manager?"

it's cause he "Ren" away from dealing with his emotions

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The first time we see Vice-Admiral Holdo in The Last Jedi, we see her through the eyes of Poe Dameron: hotshot flyboy, recently slapped down twice in the Resistance’s scramble to evacuate their compromised base. The first blow to Poe’s ego and stability is his demotion from Commander to Captain by General Leia Organa herself, a suitable reprimand for spearheading the devastatingly costly bombing run which provides the film with its opening set-piece. No sooner has Poe processed this—if indeed he has processed it—than he’s knocked further off balance by the loss of all of the Resistance high command save Leia, who is comatose and out of commission. In this state—stripped of his expected personal authority, with the usual structures of command which he relies on decimated—he looks at the new leader of the remaining Resistance fleet and says incredulously to another pilot: “That’s Admiral Holdo? Battle of Chyron Belt Admiral Holdo? …not what I was expecting.”

Nor is Holdo what the viewer is, perhaps, expecting. (We are firmly in Poe’s point of view, and primed by both the long history of hotshot flyboys in the Star Wars franchise, and our own pleasurable glee at watching successfully executed violence even at high cost, to be sympathetic to him.) And yet: here is Vice-Admiral Amilyn Holdo, a tall thin woman in late middle age, wearing a draped floor-length dress that leaves every curve and angle of her body visible; a woman with dyed-purple hair in a style that requires at the very least a great many pins and more likely a curling iron in addition; a woman wearing star-chart bracelets and lipstick and eye makeup. She looks like a slightly-down-on-her-luck noblewoman from the Old Republic. She’s not just female, she’s femme. And she’s not just femme, she’s soft. All her age is visible; there’s no architectural framing of that body to disguise how gravity has had its way with it. Holdo, in the middle of the remnants of the Resistance, is a kind of exposed that Leia Organa—who does wear those architectural frames around her body, giving her a grandeur and a solidity—never is.

Not what I was expecting. Not the image of a woman who could win a major battle, the sort which a pilot like Poe would remember admiringly. (We don’t know much of anything about the Battle of Chyron Belt—but by Poe’s reaction, it’s a bit legendary.) It isn’t that Poe Dameron’s got a problem with women—his record in both this film and the last shows that he is friends with, respects, and easily follows and leads women—it’s that he’s got a problem with Vice-Admiral Holdo. Who isn’t what he expects. Who has swanned in to the middle of the Resistance’s desperate last stand, her purple hair a shock of color in the middle of the greys and browns and whites of the Resistance’s cobbled-together uniforms, like she’s the Woman from Altair wandered in from an entirely different story.

Then—with Leia’s words in her mouth, no less, telling the assembly to keep the flame of hope alive—she not only gives an order to keep fleeing on an apparent dead-end desperate run just out of range of the First Order’s cannons, but also dismisses Poe entirely. (She’s got good reason to. He’s just been demoted, and, as she herself says, she knows his type: the kind of person who takes big risks and doesn’t follow orders to withdraw.) We, watching, and tightly emotionally attached to Poe’s point of view—through cinematography, Poe being entirely awesome, and generations of ‘let’s blow poo poo up’ saving the day narratives—are absolutely primed to believe that she’s either a traitor or an incompetent.

A traitor? Well, there’s that ‘we have them on the end of a string’ moment from General Hux. It turns out that the string is just a new application of tracking technology which allows the First Order to follow a ship through lightspeed (please insert sidebar here about how this is one of the few solidly missed moments in this film: how did the First Order invent this tech? How long have they had this capability? It’s a glossy, over-too-fast explanation which didn’t sit well with this viewer). What if Vice-Admiral Holdo—who doesn’t let our hero be part of the need-to-know crowd—is the one letting the tracking happen? Women who look like Holdo—femme fatales, even in their middle age, women who look like women who do politics rather than fight, who like frivolous things, jewels and bright hair and makeup even in the darkest moments—we are primed to read women like that as women who will betray. This is an old trope. It’s the liquid drops of tears that you have shed / Shall come again, transformed to orient pearl—that’s Shakespeare’s Richard III, talking to Queen Elizabeth, promising that for her emotional defection (handing over her daughter to be his wife, even after he’s killed her sons), she’ll have material riches. Women who like beautiful things will betray our heroes to keep their beautiful things.

And an incompetent? That one’s simple. Leia Organa is entirely, fully, hugely competent at what she does; Leia Organa, our General, is an image of mature womanhood which is understandable and immensely welcome—she is a leader of men and women, a strength and a power. Her most affecting scene in this film—when we finally get to see her use the Force which is her birthright as much as it has ever been her brother’s—is heartbreakingly brilliant. So is her ability to delegate, to train, to be both centrally necessary and to have a system in place for when she is incapacitated. But Holdo looks like the opposite of Leia—Holdo looks like an inexperienced woman using another woman’s words, a pale substitute, a coward whose story-function is to (like so many middle-aged female characters in film) keep our heroes down. This too is a familiar trope, and we are set up to expect it by how Holdo dresses and behaves.

But that’s not how it goes. Not what I expected—well, not what we expect either, watching. Turns out that Vice-Admiral Holdo’s plan, while desperate, is exactly what the Resistance needed: a chance to get to an old Rebel base with defenses and a communications array. Turns out, also, that she’s not some lesser imitation of Leia, but a friend Leia has had from childhood (check out Claudia Grey’s lovely middle-grade novel Leia: Princess of Alderaan, where she and Holdo meet for the first time and learn to rely on each other). Their goodbyes as Leia boards the escape pod along with the rest of the Resistance are the goodbyes of dear friends who have loved each other well. “I can’t take any more losses,” Leia says, speaking in a sense for all of us. “Sure you can,” Holdo tells her. “You taught me how.”

This is the sort of friend that Leia can rely on to make an ultimate sacrifice, and thus give to us watching the best visual and sound cue in the entire film: having stayed behind to pilot the heavy cruiser Raddus while the rest of the diminished Resistance escapes to the planet Crait, Holdo eventually chooses to drive her ship while it jumps to lightspeed directly through the First Order’s flagship, destroying a great part of it and preventing the destruction of those last few escapees. She is alone when she does this. She is alone, a captain on a bridge, in her dress and her lovely hair, her mouth set in a firm and determined line, and she doesn’t hesitate.

The film’s director, Rian Johnson, gives her—and us—a silent cut as a reward. My whole theater gasped out loud into the quiet. It is the most striking visual and auditory moment in a film full of striking visual and auditory moments.

And Poe Dameron? Poe Dameron watches this too, and he gets it. When Finn—whose arc this film has been about running away, or choosing not to—says that she’s fleeing like a coward, it is Poe who says that she isn’t. It is Poe that asks us to watch what she’s about to do.

Go out like the hero she is: a middle-aged woman hero in a flimsy dress with impractical hair and impeccable military credentials.

What The Last Jedi does—amongst many other things—is present its audience with more than one mode of female power. We have Rey, strong in the Force, dangerous and necessary and emerging from nowhere to be the center of this story; we have Rose, a mechanic and a patriot, willing to make sacrifices and willing to know when sacrifice is not necessary; we have Leia Organa, the pivot on which the Resistance turns. And we have Vice-Admiral Amilyn Holdo, who looks like none of what we expect. Who is nevertheless what the Resistance needs, and worth Poe’s respect, and worth ours.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Vice Admiral Amilyn Holdo is the best character in The Last Jedi.

She knew exactly that Poe and Finn's plan was total BS (and she's correct!) and she knew her own plan was the best option available. Her sacrifice to stay as a bait to let other escape was very admirable.

Too bad her plan was ruined because Poe and Finn refused to follow her order and did something on their own way. That code breaker guy Finn and Rose bought back ended up betrayed them and told First order about the escaping resistance in small ships, led to many deaths. She ended up having to go with Plan B and kamikaze herself to save everyone (and saved Finn and Rose from getting their head cut)

If her plan succeed, many lives could have been saved and entire last battle on that planet might not happen. Luke would be alive too.

P.S. Her slow decision to kamikaze was understandable since it takes a lot of courage to kill yourself like that and that wasn't in her original plan. (Her original plan is to use that ship as a bait to lure First order away from the hide-out planet)

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

dudeness posted:

They are the reason the Jedi have such a strict "don't gently caress" stance.

I have a strict "don't gently caress" stance because on dates I talk about star wars extensively

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Colonel Cancer posted:

Solo was infinitely more watchable imo. I tried to hit up Last Jedi on Netflix and couldn't get past the loving chase scene.

the chase scene was going on for 1.5 hrs tho

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
From the moment she appeared in the film I felt a really deep love for Holdo, mainly because it was awesome to see a femme woman being put into a position of authority after General Leia.

When Poe sees Holdo, he has doubts about her abilities and her intellect, and for me, from the beginning, I felt like Rian Johnson was making a very powerful point about the way we view female leadership. I know a lot of people are like: “Why didn’t she just tell Poe or anyone else the plan?”

Well, the answer is simple: the Rebels, bless their hearts, are bad at sticking to plans and understanding the long game. We see at the VERY beginning of the movie that Poe disobeys and turns off his headset during an attack that Leia explicitly told him not to engage in, that left them with less fighting power and caused many deaths.

It takes very little for everyone to abandon faith in Holdo for remaining calm and sticking with her guns by keeping her plan close to the vest. The reason why is clear—if she had told them that she planned to die on the ship, they would have tried to stop her. Poe would absolutely have tried to stop her because he’s an impulsive person who believes he knows best. That was made evident at the beginning.

The First Order rules through fear and intimidation even though its leaders are loud and incompetent man babies—see Hux’s petty snarls and Kyle Ren’s tears of nepotism angst. Holdo attempts to rule through faith and self-sacrifice rather than aggressive tactics and being totally open. That makes people distrust her because again, despite her reputation, they trust Poe more. Poe who, again, got their comrades killed in an attack that destroyed a warship yes, but also left them unable to defend themselves in other ways. If Luke and Rey hadn’t shown up they would have died.

Holdo was not a perfect character because, in addition to being a character, she was also representing the distrust we have for female authority. When men or coaches talk about having faith and “trusting them” even when something seems out of reach, we have been taught to trust them because their experience matters.

The fact that Leia trusted Holdo didn’t matter to the rebels and that is disappointing and it is the actions of Poe that lead to … more death. So while everyone asks: “Why Holdo didn’t do this?” Why don’t we ask how Poe made it this far up in the military if he has such a hard time listening and taking orders from his superior officers? Poe was wrong and yet somehow Holdo is the one who needed to change tactics?

But beyond all of these things, I enjoy Holdo because she, like Rose, gives women another way to be strong. With her long lavender robe and bright hair, polished nails and jewelry, Holdo show that there are different ways to be a powerful warrior woman. That being so true to yourself and your own style doesn’t make you inferior, the right to be an individual is what the rebels are fighting for. Also if you underestimate her … that’s to your own downfall.

I would say that if you want to learn more about Holdo, read the Leia, Princess of Alderaan book because it introduces a young Holdo and her first words are: “I hope it’s dangerous. I want to get more comfortable with the nearness and inevitability of death.”

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Approach through the trench. Fire your load into the thermal exhaust port

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

RaySmuckles posted:

i've watched 40 minutes of the last jedi so far and i can safely say its absolutely terrible

just terrible

awful

Wait until they let the horses go. That makes it all worth it

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
The last jedi is so compellingly awful because it's confusing why they would dedicate a whole star wars movie to saying "gently caress you" to both people who enjoyed the original star wars and people who criticized other star wars movies.

I didn't really care about last jedi one way or another going into it. I saw force awakens in theaters, and then I didn't see last jedi until like a year after it came out. It felt like they were just gonna keep pumping out predictable remakes, so no big deal if I ever saw another. I finally saw tlj cause my wife wanted to re-watch tfa, then we wanted to see what happened next. I hadn't heard anything about last jedi really, and I was utterly blown away by how bad it was. Not just how bad it was, but the way in which it was bad. I was just expecting tfa level, sort of acceptably mediocre and flashy. Tlj was nothing like I expected.

A lot of tlj is a pointed message at certain groups of people, like the holdo character is supposed to irritate MRAs, or the casino part is supposed to irritate people that didn't like the prequels. But... why bother making a whole movie just to irritate some people on the internet? I don't think tlj is the only movie/tv show that is guilty of doing this, of responding in the product to people that argue about it or criticize it on the internet. But it never makes for good viewing, and really confuses the hell out of me, someone who was not involved in debates about or criticism of the whole thing prior to seeing it.

Also, I'm still astonished that disney didn't hire someone to write a story for the whole trilogy
before filming it. The storytelling is going absolutely nowhere, because there wasn't a story planned.

So here I am, posting about it on SA because I'm still so surprised by the last jedi. Mission accomplished, I guess?

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
If anyone can do animations I think a "mark's milkers" gangtag with luke milking the walrus would be a fantastic addition to the forums

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I’ll admit: the first time I watched TLJ, I found myself really enjoying the bomber scene at the beginning because it reminded me of the whole “WWII in space” thing that I liked so much in the OT as a kid. Then later that day I was talking about that scene to someone and as I was describing it I gradually kind of faltered and realized “Wait...but it doesn’t make any GODDAMN SENSE. gently caress!”

I also appreciated that the movie was playing off of wwii bombing runs, but I didn't enjoy the scene because 1. It was preceded by the "yo mama" joke and 2. The movie did not bother to introduce the bomber crew, meaning I did not have any emotional connection to them when they died, so the choice to shoot their death scenes so poignantly was overwrought and silly

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Apr 29, 2019

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
its an homage
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z88FdVp3iFk

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Barudak posted:

Its well shot and sound mixed, its just followed by enough of a lull in action that in theater you can go "wait, what the gently caress why dont they do that all the time"

An unmanned ship that destroys things by activating engines is called... a missile

Of course if that worked it defies logic that they don't already have them

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Apr 30, 2019

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Chomp8645 posted:

I guarantee you Rian Johnson did not give a flying gently caress whatever the established rules for hyperspace were.

Basically the canon answer for "why not hyper ram all the time?" is now "didn't read, don't care lol"

Yeah. if he did care, there would've been a line like "this ship has newfangled/ancient and lost hypershields installed, it's special its the only one". But not caring is consistent with the theme of the director of the second movie in the third trilogy deciding to ignore basically everything established in the other movies, which would be entirely acceptable if the movie had been good

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

quote:

would be entirely acceptable if the movie had been good 

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Tiberius Christ posted:

really cool of rose and finn to save the animals but not the child slaves

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-KUbflnMEs

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I mean maybe one of the droids’ previous owners was loving them, who’s to say? Just a quick memory wipe before sale and Bing Bing Bong.

I hope they wiped more than the memory!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

no one's ever really gone

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFMyMxMYDNk

This video is really interesting. It's "how star wars was saved in the edit." It shows that Lucas made the same mistakes in A New Hope that he did in the prequel trilogy. He generated a bunch of scenes that could be made into a good movie, but intercut them in a way that made them redundant and boring, with little emotional impact and too much exposition. With the first one the editors changed it. They cut out dead weight. They dropped shots that relied on special effects that didn't work. They reordered scenes to add emotion and tension and remove expository dialogue. They actually constructed some new scenes out of shots of the old one. The mind blowing thing is that the death star threatening the rebel base was added entirely in the edit!

But with the prequels he had absolute free reign to make all those same mistakes again, and there was no one overriding him at all. Like, think of the behind the scenes clip featured in the plinkett reviews where he says "I may have gone too far" and something like "all these scenes rely on each other so I can't cut any of them". Think of all the scenes that are just people in a semi-circle, talking. Or just two-three people walking down a hallway. Or the fact that it's pretty clear lucas would prefer not to have to use actors at all to transmit his ideas to the audience. He's valuable as part of a creative team, but he fundamentally misunderstands what makes compelling, gripping and emotionally involving movies. Which is why the prequels were none of those things.

Vim Fuego fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 4, 2019

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
*sigh*
https://variety.com/2019/film/news/disney-avatar-star-wars-marvel-1203207661/

quote:

Disney Announces New ‘Star Wars’ Films, Moves ‘Avatar’ Sequels
As part of the great release date shake-up, Disney announced there will be a trio of untitled “Star Wars” entries. These will hit theaters after “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker” brings the Skywalker spinoff saga to a close this December. The first of the new three films will hit the big screen on Dec. 16, 2022. There will be two other follow-ups that will premiere in the Christmas corridor on Dec. 20, 2024 and Dec. 18, 2026. The news means that Disney is poised to dominate the busy holiday movie-going season for the foreseeable future, as it alternates between “Avatar” and “Star Wars” films. Moviegoers will be treated to new Na’vi and Jedi adventures each year between 2021 and 2027.

I sure am tired of all these star wars.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

DONT THREAD ON ME posted:

as bad as the prequels were, at least they had some imagination. the non-lucas star wars movies are more competent as films but 100% focus grouped garbage otherwise.

lucas should have hidden a golden tickets to the star wars factory in toys and given control of the star wars franchise to the biggest star wars fan

The thing is though, TFA was competent focus grouped garbage. I WAS FINE WITH THAT. I thought "ok, so this is what I can expect from these movies. I don't care, I'll watch them whenever I get around to it." Then, TLJ is totally prequel style awful. I still feel tricked.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

RaySmuckles posted:

i figured it was because it was 1977, guiness was old as dirt, and the dude in the vader suit could hardly move or see

Nah, the prostate thing is canon.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Holy poo poo!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

dont doxx me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Communist Walrus posted:

Watto is the key to all of this

He's a Jewier character than we've ever had