Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Snow Cone Capone posted:

also this is absolutely the wreck of the death star which means the Emperor probably survived the end of ROTJ and is the real face behind the power, which is dumb as gently caress

e: like "evil force ghost emperor" would have been alright but "actually he's been living in the ruins of the giant space station we specifically saw explode into dust" is :wtc: as hell

or there was a third Death Star somewhere along the way. not sure which is dumber honestly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skasion posted:

The war is just beginning

we didn't listen to rian johnson. we didn't kill our parents :*(((((

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

WatermelonGun posted:

the ewoks are fine

yeah the "death star explosion killed all the ewoks!!!!!!!!" heterodoxy is simply not supported by the text.

it's hours later and the rebels are celebrating on the forest moon with the ewoks. everyone's happy, there are no planetary wildfires.

for whatever reason - tractor beams, deflector shields, mass shifting into hypserpsace, whatever - the explosion didn't kill the ewoks.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also for all we know palps only shows up as a spooky force ghost

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
or maybe (haha) maybe he shows up as (lol) as a clone of himself! like the books!! (lmbo)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

And then regularly pops in interviews saying “ohhhh, I regret this so much, I had sooooooooo many cool ideas 😥”

pfffft lol

how many billions did he get from selling lucasfilm? the man could easily finance a space opera film if he wanted to.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
distinct non-zero chance he could even get mark hamill on it

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hairy Busey posted:

I thought they already showed the dog people planet in the prequels

didn't realize there were melconians in star wars. mind fuckin' blown

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i'm genuinely curious what rian's thoughts were for ep 9. like aside from my snarky "lol rian made a whole star wars movie just to say 'kill your parents'" remarks there's also that bit in there about "this whole war is a sham, it's just to prop up the moneyed interests" and i want to know what he thought an appropriate resolution to that would have been

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Donovan Trip posted:

It's in the movie. Benicio is an answer to the romanticism of war in star wars, he isn't raising the question himself. He's a realist in a universe of idealogists. He's there to say ideologists are caught in a war of utilitarian tradition and faith that serves to make the nonfaithful rich, and the third act says the solution isn't revenge, dogma or institutions of religion. It's spirituality, love, and building something new because the fight is long over and the universe (just like the audience) doesn't care, outside of their nostalgia.

okay but the space nazis are out there still raging, so what, the rest of the galaxy should just shrug and accept their domination?

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

i just noticed the redhead's feet for the first time

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
TLJ feels to me like Rian Johnson wanted it to be the last movie lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lofi posted:

I'm guessing it depends on if you prefer WW2 films or heist films.

How have disney managed to torpedo "[standard genre flick] + [star wars veneer] = $$$$"?!

Noir detective flick?
Sports team underdogs?
Spy movie?

Like, you could literally option any film, add muppets and stupid names and grime, print cash.

do "top gun, but in outer space", throw a few million at tom cruise to do a cameo - boom, there's a billion right there.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
is this going to be a 3 hour long movie

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Richard M Nixon posted:

I'm in for the 21 hour marathon at Alamo Drafthouse. I'm imagining the smell now.

They're starting at 10pm with episode I. This is going to be a long night.

Upside: Alamo Drafthouse serves liquor.

jesus christ and i thought the Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy marathon was a brutal slog

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
uhhhh, no, because there's no "Alliance" anymore. it's called ~~*~the Resistance~*~~ now, pops

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

excuse me. excuse me. this is the Star War's thread. not the hammer wars thread.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wasn't Rogue One heavily re-edited? i thought i'd heard at one point the lead was supposed to be like a former Imperial spy or something and then that didn't test well or something

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i think ROTJ as it is could have worked better if it were, like, the fifth or sixth movie. i know george lucas used to claim that his original plan was for nine movies and the three sequels would have been way after ROTJ (and the prequels were supposed to be way further in the past too, and the robots were the only constant characters throughout all three trilogies) but i still think ROTJ would have been more powerful if it weren't leaning so hard on nostalgia tripping over a movie that only came out like six years prior (and which, while home video was not really widely accessible yet, was probably still occasionally getting screened on second-run theaters here and there)

if they'd had at least one or two more movies' worth of adventures before revisiting tatooine and the death star, i think it would have been received better

edit: alternately if you do the tatooine revisit in one of those intermediate movies then you can spend all of the last movie on luke/vader/emperor and taking down the empire

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also if they'd done that then they could have built up more to show that the rebellion's been gaining momentum and more planets have been supporting the alliance (hence them now having a battle fleet that can go toe-to-toe with imperial star destroyers) and oh poo poo the empire really does need this fuckin' death star 2

but all that said i also understand ol' lukeass was gettin' a bit burned out even by ROTJ anyway (and lol there's no way harrison ford or alec guinness would have stuck around that many movies)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

An Ounce of Gold posted:

I wonder if Disney hired D&D just so Netflix would steal them and be stuck with lovely writers. This wacky speculation is fuelled by me thinking of why Stallone did Stop or My Mom Will Shoot.

if there's a funny story here you have to tell us. or my mom will shoot

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Word from behind the scenes (allegedly) is that D&D weren’t fired and actually left on good terms, and it’s more of a Netflix vs. Disney issue. LucasFilm hasn’t really shied away from the fact that they let people go in the past anyway, and if they were fired for the bad Q&A we wouldn’t have heard about it yet.

Of course, it would make sense if they actually were let go though. Just take a look at some of the leaked pages from the first draft of their script:

not as funny as the fake script pages where a drunk han solo and a burned-out luke skywalker walk into a bar and wind up blinding a guy but god drat i cannot seem to loving find that on the internet

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

not as funny as the fake script pages where a drunk han solo and a burned-out luke skywalker walk into a bar and wind up blinding a guy but god drat i cannot seem to loving find that on the internet

gently caress. this is driving me nuts. i remember luke and han were in some bar, and luke calls the bartender 'rattataki' (which is a "terrible slur"), han drunkenly says "you *hic* shut the gently caress up and give the man his drink. he's a war *hic* hero." and it ends with the bartender getting glassed and blinded. smash cut to opening crawl.

fuckin' disney must have scrubbed this fucker from the internet because i am not able to find it. gently caress

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

thank you

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DemoneeHo posted:

Movie would have been way better if the plot was about Palpatine trying to get grandparent custody rights to Rey so he could teach her how to play baseball

bad news bears, in space

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i have faith that ian mcdiarmid could pull it off

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
what's amazing is how they totally negated the sacrifice of threepio. "no there's no backup, i won't know a fuckin' thing. WAIT ACTUALLY R2D2 DOES HAVE A BACKUP, NEVER MIND WE'RE GOOD"

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

SHISHKABOB posted:

No, that was good. C3PO is a funny side kick character.

Star Wars relies on C3PO being treated this way by the movie.

lol threepio was super-sassy in this movie, although i guess you could say after thirty years of star wars he's finally had it up to here

that whole "one last look at my friends" bit was just total dreck though.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Walrus posted:

agreed. if you didn't know 3PO would be ok from when in the same scene where he gets wiped he's all 'R2D2 has my backup but he's unreliable' I don't know what to tell you. of course 3PO thinks R2 is unreliable lol

my read on it was that he didn't let R2 take backups because he thought R2 was unreliable

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
idk maybe that's something where they planned on it being a perma-wipe and then changed their minds in the editing room

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
which of rey's parents was palpatine's kid, the mom or the dad? was it said? i cannot recall

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
not sure if this got brought up in the thread previously but after coming out of the theater one of my friends mentioned "you know, they mentioned how the new empire has been going around the galaxy stealing children, presumably to crew up their death fleet... and they just all got blown the gently caress up."

like this seems even darker than the "oh hey how many dudes were crewing the death star? how many of them were conscripts that never had a choice to be there?" notion

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wait hold on, you guys are making GBS threads me, did The Mandalorian really only cost $15 million for all eight episodes?? no loving way. that's gotta be bullshit.

Sydin posted:

So I guess Williams has said he won't score another Star Wars? lol. Just bury the series Disney.

to be fair john williams is pretty dang old and probably just wants to retire at this point

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol no way, an actual loving mystery box prop?? hahahahaaaaaa

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

The Walrus posted:

The Dead Speak!

lol its so dumb. the exclamation mark. why.

tbh that's probably a fine callback to the old serials that Star Wars originally drew a lot of inspiration from

Rutibex posted:

everyone loves dogs. tell me you wouldn't vote for this

that's such a good dog. wow. i'll vote for that dog

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Owlbear Camus posted:

The crawl was more or less fine. Bringing back Palpy to undo the superior original trilogy for this muddled mess and then making the actual menacing broadcast a loving Fortnite tie-in that never happens in the movie, less so.

oh yeah that is incredible dogshit, yeah I was talking about "The Dead Speak!" as part of the crawl

is there a youtube video of this loving tie-in

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Owlbear Camus posted:

Gonna disagree with you on that one. That and "WAR!" are perfectly fine for the ray gun space opera aesthetic.

One thing whats her head pointed out in the 2 hour video is usually the crawl gives us a little more world building exposition dump; who's winning, who's losing, what the factions and stakes are. Especially given the sequel trilogies allergy to any kind of world building throwaway lines that let us know what a resistance or first order is or why the republic's capital is on a system we never heard of or any of that poo poo, you really should at least give us that in the crawl.

no, we agree, "The Dead Speak!" does fit in with that aesthetic

what i meant is that "Bringing back Palpy to undo the superior original trilogy for this muddled mess and then making the actual menacing broadcast a loving Fortnite tie-in that never happens in the movie" is incredible dogshit

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Oh hey, The Carbonite Maneuver!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Solo is probably the most boring movie I saw in 2018. It's so goddamn dull and the dude who plays young Han Solo has very little charisma or swagger like Harrison Ford. The plot has no stakes and almost nothing happens that matters. It's like the inverse of Rogue One. Donald Glover is kind of awesome as Lando but he's criminally underused in a very bad film. Solo's definitely not prequel level bad, but it's so forgettable and tedious to watch. Paint-by-the-numbers origin story poo poo but done so much worse than a Marvel origin story movie like Iron Man or Captain Marvel.

RoS is fetid garbage, but at least stuff kind of happens even if it sucks, unlike Solo where it's hard to stay awake through the entire film. I dunno. They're both really bad, so I don't think it even matters.

I think the worst part about Solo is it's trying so hard to tell an origin story (multiple origin stories?) that really didn't need to be told. Like, goddamn, who the gently caress ever thought "man, nobody gets called Han SOLO, where did that come from??" Why does every Star Wars movie main character need to have been an incredible badass before the movies? I wouldn't put it past the shitheads who wrote Solo to think that there ought to be a movie where young Luke Skywalker uses his skyhopper to shoot down Tusken sky-pirates or some such bullshit.