Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Squashing Machine posted:

Not sure what Luke's talking about in the trailer, she trained with him for like two days and obviously had more to tell him about the ways of the world than the other way around. Then she beat him up. It would be like if Luke threw Yoda into a tree halfway in and then he said "you have learned everything there is to know about the force"

Just pretend the 2nd movie never happened

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

basic hitler posted:

I hate george Lucas but i admire this 4D chess move. Like disney star wars is truly awful. He got mad at the fans for being mad at him, cashed out to the worst game in town and sat back while they turned a gigantic piece of boomer amd gen x nostalgia into the blandest pap ever made

And then regularly pops in interviews saying “ohhhh, I regret this so much, I had sooooooooo many cool ideas 😥”

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Star wars. Start wars never changes.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The actor doesn’t even need to die

Like, they changed Iron Man’s Black Buddy from one film to the next, no acknowledgement whatsoever, and everyone was Iike “yeah that guys cool”

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

504 posted:

I look forward to streaming this film from a dodgy Chinese website one night to play in the background while I game on my tablet.

The only way to enjoy cinema afaik

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

DemoneeHo posted:

"Wrap it up nerds, a real man doesn't watch Star Wars ever" :smuggo:

https://twitter.com/OfWudan/status/1116797166742323200

I wish I had more money for hookers :(

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Hairy Busey posted:

Stop buying video games

no

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Star Wars X Opening crawl:

The REPUBLIC has built the SPACE WALL, but Emperor Dolan Tro’m still hunts dirty rebels outside his grasp... etc etc

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Tip posted:

The Goonies, Ferris Bueller's Day Off, The Nightmare Before Christmas, Edward Scissorhands, the Breakfast Club, True Lies, Good Will Hunting, Up, District 9, Pulp Fiction, Beetlejuice, the Fifth Element, Galaxy Quest, Office Space, Labyrinth, Coming to America, Shaun of the Dead, Groundhog Day, The Professional, The Usual Suspects, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, The Sixth Sense, Inception, and Titanic.

Pretty sure there's more.

I bet a bunch of these have a remake/reboot or script in various stages of production

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Did anyone say Star war? Love it!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

sebmojo posted:

but doctor i am the new star wars trailer

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

skasion posted:

this is bad faith argumentation basically. People got buttmad about Phantom Menace being not as good as their own idea of Star Wars and began to say things like “Lucas is an idiot/incompetent” and “Lucas’ movies were only good because of [other person conveniently not working on these movies]” and then started out looking at the other prequels in a way that would support these prejudices, instead of paying attention to what is shown on screen and trying to understand it.

Like, Padme’s death is LITERALLY explained in the dialogue. Palpatine tells Vader that he, Vader, killed her. She didn’t die of a “broken heart” (this phrase never appears in the movie; it’s just a joke based on Portman’s terrible delivery of the line “Anakin, you’re breaking my heart!!!!” earlier when he breaks her heart, a while before he kills her, which he does).

I haven't seen the movie in ages but, at the time, I thought it was implied that the Emperor killed her, and he was just blaming Vader to push him into the Dark Side even further

QuarkJets posted:

Same

Some people in a different thread recommended the Darth Vader comic series made by Marvel, I got a chance to read them last month and they own. Some of them take place before A New Hope, some after. There's plenty of stupid poo poo but the focus is on Darth Vader being an intense unrelenting murderer

It's very good for like 5 issues, then it slowly decreases in quality until in like issue 18 you realize you're reading the bullshit adventures of Dr. Jafra and her 2 sarcastic murder robots who are mirror dark side copies of Threepio and R2, and they're trying to turn Darth Vader into an anti-hero and then it's time to put it down for good

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 19, 2019

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cosmik Slop posted:

Why the gently caress is Rey standing in the middle of a huge barren plain while (presumably) Kylo hauls rear end at her in a TIE fighter other than "let's make her do a sweet backflip"

God dammit I am tired of the Star Wars sucking so bad

Sounds like you’ll have to tune in to find out!!!

Applewhite posted:

I think the running is what ruins it. If she just stayed still until the last second, then did like a crouch and swing to slice the whole spaceship in half in a single stroke, then launched straight into a lightsaber duel with Kylo as he leaps from the two dividing halves of the spaceship, I might be like "ok that was p. cool."

Yeah, unfortunately she’s one of those funny runners, like Steven Segal.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Mooey Cow posted:

Someone saw some similarities between the TIE chase and the cropduster scene from North by Northwest. Sadly Cary Grant never backflipped over a plane :sigh:

Well of course, as a great connoisseur of cinema, I’ve noticed lots of references to great works in Star War

Like when the emperor looks out a window, that’s a ref to Rear Window

And when the spaceship has technical problems, that’s a reference to Nightmare at 20,000 feet

If you read CineD you’d know all these things and more

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

skasion posted:

Moreover, all of Star Wars and its fandom is a reference to that one bit in The Hidden Fortress where Peasant R2D2 tells Peasant C3PO “shitworms can’t smell poo poo”

Never heard of it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Backweb posted:

Hey Episode 9 thread. Long time listener. First time caller. I want to contribute my steaming hot take.

Anyway, so far we've seen a teaser which I assume means absolutely bumkiss in relation to the movie plot. Like how Rogue One had that TIE Fighter be all "hey gurl" on the Scarif broadcasting tower but was never in the film. I bet when we actually see Episode 9 Rey won't be facing down Kylo Ren's modified TIE Fighter at all... Instead it'll just be more turning and running and turning for a training montage.

What I really wanna talk about is the decline in the quality of Star Wars memes. Memes based on the OT aren't really memes, but are cultural references, while the prequels are essentially the meme-generators of the entire franchise. The worldbuilding and expanse of the universe and stories really offer a lot. The sequels, being super bland and stockholder-inoffensive, give us nothing to make memes about. As a result, you can only shitpost them.

OT memes (aka Star Wars): Heartfelt deconstructions of a really good trilogy (see references in Muppet Babies, Family Guy, etc)
PT memes (Start Wars! Attack of Your Mom!): Dumb commentary, shitpost memes with a point, deconstructions, analogies to dumb IRL poo poo, bad movies are fun, etc.
ST memes (Luke Georgewalker's Dada SterWerns featuring Ben Swolo :swoon: ): Absolutely no memes you can relate to. So sterile it's just shitposts, shitposts, shitposts all the way down!

While your memeology isn’t off the mark, I’d point out that it took a good 15 years for prequel memes to become a thing. Before that, the hate for the prequels overshadowed the “awww, I guess they were flawed but original” perception they have today

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

*begins chanting*
Star Wars, Star Wars, Star Wars!!

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Chrpno posted:

Everybody wants to be Space Ghost
Everybody near and far

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Any funny alternative names for this surely great movie?

Haven't seen one that makes me chuckle. Gotta get them ready for release night at 12am

Star Wars : The Lies of Skywalker... ehh... The Red Eyes of Skywalker... ehhh... more fun than Davy Jones' Locker?

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Now I get why this thread is rated "2"

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I don't know, never really had that problem. Everything I like is cool.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I heard the final edit wasn't even finished like a week ago

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

of Episode 2 and 3

I found out today they were shot at 1080p with digital cameras lol

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/44-movies-concerts-music-discussion/1178191-star-wars-ep-ll-lll-shot-only-1080p.html

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Regardless of recent movies, this is cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw88nyiuo6Q

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Disney Marketer:
These numbers aren't great, we need more hype. Methinks like a lil' controversy is just what Star Wars needs right before release :cool:

*Goes on twitter*

*immediately closes browser*

Nope. That's not what Star Wars needed

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Chomp8645 posted:

First you're a racist if you don't like star wars.

Now you're a racist if you do like star wars.

I just can't keep up with these star wars.

If you can't handle these Star Wars, you're gonna hate the race wars

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

It's sad that Finn didn't become the awesome character promised in the first trailers for the new trilogy

For that matter, every new character seemed awesome and cool, and the actors were great and mostly unknown, casting agency knocked it out of the park in general

Great character ideas in the first movie, even Captain Phasma looked cool as hell

Daisy Ridley seems like a great person, Adam Driver is an amazing actor (just saw him in Marriage Story), the guy who plays Poe is great in other movies

It all falls flat in the actual movies, but hey, cool ideas anyway

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Dooku sounds like dookie 💩

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Owlbear Camus posted:

I would assume most of them are leftovers who were serving under whatever General or Admiral or Moff decided to be Warlord of their little piece of the pie after it crumbled post-Endor.

Almost every source depicts them as hopelessly indocrinated to the point of brainwashing so when Imperial Territorial Marshal Dipshit McGee says "we will keep the Empire going here in the Ibaar system, the Emperor may be dead but the Empire is eternal" they salute and get back to their post.

This is directly and strongly contradicted by Official Canon main storyline movie “The Force Awakens via a Star War”, where a stormtrooper is a janitor and also leaves the empire very easily ? So I think you’re very incorrect, good day

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

I remember reading the Zahn trilogy when I was a kid. Thrawn owned, they should’ve just followed that storyline

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

A Death Star, but deader and gayer

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Star BORE if you ask me

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

The Breakfast Sampler posted:

now that i'm thinking about it, there's no way that walt disney wasn't a huge sex weirdo, right?

There’s famous stories about mr. Walt getting up to shenanigans in club 33 at Disney, which out of respect for the ladies present I won’t deign to repeat, suffice to say they are of a most scandalous quality

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Yeah, this whole “empire ideology is complicated” just ruined the whole thing, even more than midichlorians ever did

It was a nice dumb fantasy about good vs clearly labeled evil, but now it might be a metaphor for boomers vs millennials, or gently caress I don’t know, they fly now

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Big fan of Magufu Nandabu

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

toggle posted:

any fisting in this?

Apparently the audience gets it

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

So this is how democracy dies... with a piss saber

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Rian did nothing wrong

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Do you think Rey holds her piss lightsaber like it’s a penis and turns it on slowly and goes “Hey Kyle, check it out I’m peeing lol”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

People who say the Vader scenes are gratuitous pandering have no idea what they're talking about because Rogue One has the best prequel depiction of the character by far. ANH Vader is a literal horror movie monster who strikes fear into allies and enemies alike with his imposing presence and body language alone. Rogue One expands on this by giving him a super rad spooky Sith castle and then he murders an entire ship of Rebels in seconds.

But I assume all of you haters have either no understanding of Darth Vader as a character and/or haven't seen ANH in many years.

Actually Darth Vader is a whiny boy who gets sand in his underwear