Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Zzulu posted:

The whills idea is some of the dumbest poo poo I've ever read, obviously George is going extremely senile

Which is exactly why he should make another trilogy

I loving love those interviews where he talks about 7-9 saying 'its about these microscopic organisms called the Whills. Fans would have hated it.'

It seems like a very George Lucas thing to make the long awaited sequels to be about midiclorians, just out of spite.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Those videos of people's reactions to Empire strikes back is fascinating. That world just does not exist anymore.

I love me some movies, but I'll never see it more than once in the theatre. Almost everyone interviewed had seen the first Star Wars at least twice and more often than not, 4+ times. They probably had not seen it since 1977 either - since how else do you see it unless it was on TV?

I did dig the little kid proudly saying he'd watched it 24 times, because he has a Betamax player!

It's very hard for a movie to wow you nowadays nowadays, because every film generally follows the same archetypes and the spectacle is expected / just part of it by design. The closest experience in cinemas for me I can think of in recent memory was Mad Max Fury Road.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Moola posted:

Lol the new star destroyers can't figure out what direction up is without a special relay telling them

What the gently caress, just look at the ground and go the opposite direction lmao

Not to mention one relay serves all twenty thousand star destroyers or whatever ridiculous amount of poo poo there was. And apparently the rest of the galaxy's fleets didn't need any relays...

The entire time they were horseback riding on top of one I hoped the star destroyer commander would just... Roll the ship 90 degrees and watch them all fall off.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Barudak posted:

The film would have been better if R2 gave C3P0 all his memories back and the end of the film was C3P0 introducing himself as the last Skywalker

I was hanging out for a joke where C3P0 realises he was built by Darth Vader and no one believes him, thinking the memory restore went wrong.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Gianthogweed posted:

Yes. In 2008 Lucas released the pilot to his Clone Wars TV series in theaters. The reaction was hilarious, especially Roger Ebert. He was so mad that he was tricked into watching and reviewing a Saturday morning cartoon.

I remember seeing this in the cinemas thinking 'man that was loving terrible'. It was marketed here like it was going to be more of a film. I honestly don't remember much beyond they had to rescue 'farty the hutt' or something. But walking out of that cinema looking around I saw lots of kids with their dads having a good time and our 20 something group of friends and I looked each other, concluded we weren't exactly the target audience for it and left it at that.

But that experience definitely has held me off watching the rest of the series in the subsequent years - despite quite often being told how good it is at filling the tones missing from the prequels.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

TK-42-1 posted:

Plots where the whole point of contention is people not saying a dozen words to each other annoy the piss out of me. Like the entire holdo/poe thing would have been nothing if she’d just taken him aside and told him the plan it would have helped literally everyone.

They really needed a line of dialog or flesh out one of scenes to establish exactly why Holdo was holding (lol) out on giving that information. Because by the time you realise why, it doesn't feel like it excuses her for doing it in the first place, other than pulling her weight around.

Something like they know or suspect that there's a mole in the resistance - which is why they keep getting tracked. That would go a long way to making her actions feel necessary.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I think lots of the JJ visual praising comes from saying 'Wouldn't x be a cool set piece for an action scene?' rather than any specific compositions of shots. Then they need to shoehorn a narrative reason into the film to see it.

You can almost see the production meeting where they pick and choose from what they think is the coolest looking concept art.

At least for rRise of the Skywalker anyway, I don't remember TFA being all that bad.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Blistex posted:

Was there a cool set piece that he used for an action scene? The only thing that comes to mind that sort of hits that mark is the Rey/Kylo fight on the death star wreckage. The only other thing that I can think of is "Make tie fighters chase the Millennium Falcon through an enclosed space", which is hardly original.

I'm mostly thinking things like 'A million star destroyers in the sky', 'death star in water' and 'thousands of sith standing in an arena chanting', 'planet having a party once in a million years which happens the minute we arrive' -forced big set pieces that don't really make any sense conceptually when you think about them for more than a second.

But to be fair - the original star wars is all about stuff that falls apart if you think more than a second - giant planet killing weapons, laser swords and AT ATs. It's just this movie dials everything up to 11 all the time and there's no real cohesion to it beyond the 'rule of cool'.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
I always think that Rian Johnson is unfairly shat upon for depicting Luke in TLJ as a reclusive hermit who's given up on the force, because how else are they going to pick up from where The Force Awakens left it?

I know people just wanted cool action scenes that looked like that one ghoulish scene in the Mandalorian where Luke kicks everyone's butt, but TFA established that he's been missing for years and has effectively ignored a hostile takeover of the galaxy and danger to his friends and family.

I've always assumed they never really thought much further beyond TFA needs an 'iconic looking end shot to tease the next film'.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
Luke wanted to save the galaxy, but was hopelessly addicted to blue titty milk, so he couldn't leave space Scotland.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

Snow Cone Capone posted:

quote this post if you literally went "oh what the gently caress" at the last line of RoS (even though you knew it was coming)

This is triggering me.

It was a complex, new series of emotions walking out of that theatre, but the one I remember most vividly was disgust.

So good on ROS for making me have a new experience, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
For all the derision about Luke in TLJ, I absolutely love his confrontation with Kylo, and how he effectively was able to both get Kylos goat and solve the issue in a non-violent way.

Much more 'Jedi Master' than a bunch of spinny death shits.