Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Not sure what Luke's talking about in the trailer, she trained with him for like two days and obviously had more to tell him about the ways of the world than the other way around. Then she beat him up. It would be like if Luke threw Yoda into a tree halfway in and then he said "you have learned everything there is to know about the force"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

The real travesty in all of this is that they keep pumping out bad sequels but we've had viable at-home VR systems for three years and still don't have an X-Wing remake or competent lightsaber game, what the gently caress are they waiting for I might be dead before they get there

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

It's hilarious how every review I've read about this so far lays all the blame at JJ's feet, and none at Rian's for taking every single plot thread from TFA and even the general themes of the Star Wars universe and putting them all into a giant space dumpster labeled "poo poo for idiots"

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

TLJ was extremely whiplashy to me because I loved Looper and Rian's episodes of Breaking Bad, but it's a movie that accomplishes almost nothing for its characters other than Poe learning that he should just shut up and take orders, even when they're apparently going to get everyone killed through complete inaction

It's hilarious that the movie is considered either "SJW propaganda" or Extremely Woke, because the sum accomplishment of Rear Admiral Purple Hair is to get 99% of her people killed and then to kill herself from sheer embarrassment

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

skasion posted:

The Luke plot is less lovely than the B plot, but it still has the big problem that it doesn’t really do anything with Rey or Kylo. They flirt, they fight, they’re back where they were at the start. Luke undergoes (kind of nonsensical) development in the movie while everything else spins its wheels.

The Luke stuff also sucks because it essentially takes away his entire character arc from the original trilogy, going from being the kid who wants to beat the empire with a laser sword to the adult who throws away his weapons and puts his faith in the inherent good of people

One of the first things we see Luke doing in TLJ is contemplating whether to murder a teenager in cold blood

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Necrothatcher posted:

Can audiences really not relate to a character who begins as an idealistic kid and ends up a grumpy old man who wants to murder teenagers?

It's weird cart before the horse stuff, though. I think the fans who complained (and Hamill himself) would've been fine if Luke let Kylo fall to the dark side by naively assuming it was a phase or something that would sort itself out, and then Kylo burns down the academy despite all of Luke's hippie-dippie "see the good in you" crap

Luke's failure should've stemmed from where he was when we last saw him, not some random shift in a central tenet of his character

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Just go see Parasite if you haven't already, gently caress

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

An Ounce of Gold posted:

No thanks! That was a bad movie too! All of these losers are suddenly master conmen? Jumping conflicts everywhere? I don't see why people liked it. Sometimes I don't like a movie, but I get why people liked it... Parasite was a trash movie that was poorly acted and had bad writing.

Imma go get my old man cane now and tell kids to get off my lawn.

star wars

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

I really want to see Parasite because Snowpiercer loving owns. One of these days, for sure.

It's funny, because I loved Parasite despite not liking Snowpiercer very much. Parasite doesn't have stunt-casted American actors and the class friction at the movie's center isn't as simplistic as "back of train good front of train bad"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Owlbear Camus posted:

I am fond of telling people "Imagine the 'average person' and how smart they are. By definition more than half of people are that dumb, or dumber."

okay grandpa rick