Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Escobarbarian posted:

man, season 7 would be at least slightly better if Emilia Clarke and Kit Harrington had any chemistry whatsoever

Being better actors might help too but lmao yeah the black hole of chemistry is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I love the implication that nerdy bookish Rhaegar was so uncreative he named both of his songs Aegon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Welp time to settle in and watch this tit and dragon show

o-oh no

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

aw yeah lena headey time

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

cersei really wants those elephants

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

ahahahahahah this jon riding rhaegal moment

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Mike N Eich posted:

This is 100% right. The show is really good at fleshing out characters that are dull and one note in the books (Davos is way funnier in the show for example, Cersei has more dimensions, Etc) but for some reason the only guy the books *try* to make funny, Dolorous Edd, is anti-funny in the show. It’s weird.

Cersei is so incredibly dumbed down for the show. All the Lannisters are.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheRat posted:

You know he needs to die before he gets resurrected right? Like, some of the criticism you write here is the dumbest poo poo I've read in years, and I read the Dave Hill spoilers.

Yeah Beric is only going away if a. he dies or b. he gives his 'fire' to bring someone else back.

I'm assuming option a will happen soon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

TheRat posted:

I'm assuming option b because that's what he does in the books, but both are equally possibly I suppose.

If D&D gave any fucks about what Beric does in the book he'd be gone and we'd have Stoneheart by now !!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The speculation on The Others having their own society/etc in the books is also partially based on GRRM deadass saying we'll be seeing further beyond the wall than ever before, and that they are more than they seem in Winds. A lot of people think this may mean a POV chapter from one of The Others or something similar.

Except Winds ain't coming out.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The show added that prophecy to the House of the Undying scene where the throne is covered in ash and implied KL is decimated so I always assumed it would end w/ no throne for anyone to sit on anyway. Though leaks imply that may be a turn of events that happens for another reason if at all so :shrug:

Who loving knows if D&D even remembers adding that scene lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's a drat shame the show completely changed Sansa's arc the last couple years, 'cause she probably is meant to become one of the smartest people in the series in the books and the show kinda just tossed away all that lurking around KL quietly learning the ways of the game, then getting to finally play it in The Vale in favour of her getting raped

I like Sansa and her scenes were the most enjoyable for me last night. I think Sophie Turner is lowkey p great in the role and it's a shame she didn't get to play out the fun stuff we get hints of Sansa doing when she's finally out from under Cersei

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Knowing the writers and their love of awful dramatic irony you know it’s going to be option B and it’s going to be Sandor that gets the fire.

undead cleganebowl get hype!!!!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

the real reason i was excited for the show to come back

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Away all Goats posted:

I thought that was snow on the throne

Could have been, either way wasn't the throne room completely hosed and the roof blown out?

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Charles Get-Out posted:

I don't know if it's strictly canon and its not quite confirmed to be related, but the World of Ice & Fire book describes how GOT's fantasy China maintains a series of fortresses in Essos along a large wall that holds back "demons" and the "Lion of Night."

The Five Forts spinoff when tbh

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

LividLiquid posted:

I'm re-watching this episode and I really don't understand how people can say nothing happened. It's non-stop characters interacting who haven't interacted in years, if at all ever. It's amazing.

tbh all the reunions felt really lackluster for me. honestly sansa and tyrion's was the best lmao, then probably arya + hound I guess

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I mean w/r/t character complexity. She's super one note to me, tho Headey kills it. Crazy drunk delusional paranoid Cersei is a blast I wish we got to see Headey play.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

The Walrus posted:

I can't wait until the white walkers win or close to it and the internet is just loving furious "you mean eight years of scheming and backstabbing was all a complete waste of time" with the reply being "yes that is the entire theme of the show that's been foreshadowed in basically every episode"

'jon snow explicitly stated it several times'

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Eh, Bran's Not Here man, he's probably gonna say something ominous like "You pushed a boy out a window. That boy is gone now"

'Thanks for crippling me so I can become a tree.'

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Supreme Allah posted:

In the books theres a purple-haired edgelord called Dark Star. Thats his actual name, and people take him seriously.

Of course they do, for he is of the night!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Kawalimus posted:

Hah, I remember reading some thing about how Martin was genuinely surprised that fans weren't super into Dark Star.

Dark Star was his attempt to make a new Oberyn cause he wasn't expecting people to like him so much and be so upset when he died

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Konstantin posted:

This first time she is introduced they mention that she likes to take baths in near boiling water, so I assume she was born that way.

Show Dany being fireproof is boring and robbed us of her burning the poo poo out of her body the first time she rides Drogon.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Crow Jane posted:

I think it may have also have had to do with them being penned in. Like how Viserion and Rhaegal are both smaller than Drogon on the show.

Yeah, the dragons increasingly got smaller as Targs started locking them in the dragon pit more often.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

That's not what happened in the book.

iirc her thighs and hand get all burned and blistered up + her hair gets burned off again as well.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

That's not a big deal, normal people get roasted.

Just double checked the chapters and it's not riding him that burns her, but the flames he shoots at/around her as she approaches him to get on that burn the poo poo out of her and make her lose her hair again. She's picking at oozing blisters and raw skin later before her adventure making GBS threads in the grass.

Besides GRRM confirming years ago that Targaryens aren't fireproof and the birth of the dragons was a one time blood magic thing (where she loses her hair the first time but that's beside the point)

e: lmao even just his breath is described as being hot enough to blister the skin on her face

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's worth mentioning that (even without him clearly being unhappy with some of the changes and wanting to do things differently in the books when he (doesn't) finish them) GRRM is not the kind of writer who has an outline or a fixed ending and keeps it that way. I wouldn't be surprised if the time between now and him giving D&D the cliffnotes for how the story ends he's changed a shitton more. He's one of those writers who just 'sees where the characters take him' so he's constantly changing and rewriting poo poo based on how his latest POV chapter turned out.

I bet the very, very broad strokes will be p similar to his original outline/whatever he gave D&D, but how we get there and who is involved in the end is probably going to be v different.

Probably would be very different. The mountain who does not writeeeeeee

e: like even if D&D hadn't veered so far from the books and changed so much, poo poo would prob still end up being very different just due to the show finishing faster than GRRM can sit down and write at his loving DOS box he refuses to upgrade

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Opferwurst posted:

They feed parts of Jojen to Bran IRC so he is either a cannibal or a carnivorous tree

That's very lightly implied, but not confirmed yet. There's definitely something weird going on with Jojen tho, whether it's literal cannibalism or he and Bloodraven just sucking his life energy into their roots or something.

Man Bloodraven was such a disappointment in the show. I wanted some body horror tree poo poo but he was just an old dude sitting in some branches lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Golbez posted:

My wife says Euron looks like, "if Michael Shannon raped Jude Law."

tea tho

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Zotix posted:

So is Danny not going to be surprised when Jon or whomever tells her than Jon is the heir to the throne, since she encouraged him to ride the dragon last episode? Like she already knows.

she'll probably be hype as gently caress to be boning the son of the brother she dreamed about marrying

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Its Coke posted:

The nadir of GRRM's writing is 600 pages of Tyrion riding in a barrel wondering where whores go, so no

words are wind

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Laterite posted:

I kind of want Darkstar to show up at the battle of King's Landing with a bunch of fanfare, only to be immediately roasted by a dragon or beheaded by Euron or something.

He has to at least triumphantly chop off a little girl's ear because he somehow can't even pull off killing a defenseless child properly

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

GRRM wanting Clarke to be more topless was def a real thing that happened. I want to say he even said it while she was sitting five feet away from him on a panel or something

She was supposed to have one tit out for all of Meereen and I bet GURM was v sad that got dropped.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Phenotype posted:

I was sad about that too though

I mean, same.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Ofecks posted:

Was Dany getting dysentery in the books a result of eating the horse heart? On my rewatch my mind immediately considered that possibility, so thanks for that, I guess, goons.

Meereen was plagued w/ dysentry during the time she finally reopened the pits, she probably got sick from that tbh and it kicked in when she was stranded and had nothing to eat.

e: tho it also coulda been the dirty water she was drinking

esperterra fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Apr 18, 2019

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

precision posted:

Maybe GRRM just doesn't know how morning sickness works

Dany's uterus was kaput after the blood magic. Though when she's making GBS threads in the field she also realizes she had her period for the first time in years so maybe she can get preggo now

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Alchenar posted:

Oh that's another thing isn't it, the plot point about the dragons being uncontrollable just goes away by itself. Drogon just shows up again as if to say "right, it's time for Dany to stop having arbitrary obstacles blocking her from catching up with the main plot'.

In the books or the show? 'Cause in the book Drogon still p much doesn't listen to her and only flies her where he wants to go.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

It's less his method that is bad and more the fact he just doesn't loving write. Him letting the characters take him where they will or w/e would be fine if he actually wrote every day, or was willing to write when he's on the road. But he's a weird old man who refuses to use anything but his old WordStar machine lmao

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lycus posted:

Lots of people who called her "Khaleesi" knew it wasn't her name. Just like they called Cersei "the Queen". But people love to nerdsplain.

excuse me it's kelly c, do you even know how to spell lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

KRILLIN IN THE NAME posted:

loving I've been skimming these GoT threads on SA since season 1 and I knew everyone called her "kelly C" for some reason but it never clicked it was khaleesi until now. goddamnit

I thought there was some "Emilia C" > "Kelly C" thing going on for years

you sweet summer child