Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Friar John posted:

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about the game after seeing some streams. I might bite the bullet and pre-order.

I just want to play as Bactria. I always have, ever since Rome Total Realism introduced me to them, many years ago. Have any streamers played as them yet?

One of the devs played Bactria in the dev clash.

On a different note, did RTR extend the map eastwards that far? I remember Europa Barbarorum did so, and that was the mod that introduced me to Bactria and a lot of stuff out there. For a mod it also had a pretty drat decent original soundtrack (though replacing the standard soundtrack, at least the Roman stuff, was kind of unfortunate as the vanilla RTW was excellent, as that was back in the day when Jeff van Dyck did the soundtrack for the Total War games, and all of his soundtracks were fantastic), a lot of effort went into making that mod.

cheesetriangles posted:

Based off their recent history I'm betting the game isn't any good and will require at least 2 years and 3-4 major dlcs to be playable. But I'm a sucker and already preordered.

I don't know. The foundation of internal management and character importance seems very solid, and the military side of things looks more interesting than EU4, and especially CK2 (and unlike CK2 it has naval combat, and control of the seas seems super important if you want to be a mediterranean power), with more differences between different cultures in terms of army composition and greater importance placed on leader martial skill and strategic movement and positioning being quite significant due to the greater number of choke points and such on the map. Then you also have Romans able to build military highways to speed up army movement within their territory, allowing them to concentrate force easier if managed well and stuff like that.

It's quite possible the game may feel a bit lacking in some areas on release, especially for certain regions/governments/cultures, but personally, as I said, the foundation of it all seems very solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Game's coming this week right?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

From all accounts this game is mostly EU, with a bit of CK and almost no Vicky. Any Vicky DNA you may see is almost purely superficial. The pop system is extremely basic and limited, the geopolitics are not nearly as deep, and there's no market system or any form of economy system beyond "provinces and trade routes give you money." The air should be clear before anyone gets any further misconceptions. Do not get this game expecting anything Vicky-like at all.

I'd argue that Victoria did not have especially deep geopolitics. You had spheres and alliances, and the later-added crisis system. But it wasn't like super deep, diplomacy is much better developed and more important in EU4 than it is in Victoria 2.

Trade routes and trade goods in Imperator mostly seem to exist to allow you to stack up modifiers on provinces, and to enable recruitment of restricted units. The money earned is important but is somewhat secondary to this mechanic. That's pretty different from EU4, where trade goods also bring benefit for the owner, but that effect isn't nearly as important and you can't really import trade goods to earn their benefits. I think many people are thinking this is a little too similar to EU4.

There's also a lot of people viewing both Victoria 1 and 2 with very rose-tinted glasses, and that's speaking as someone who played and loved both of them. If I were to guess I'd imagine that many of these are people who never actually played them that much (I'm not saying you are one of them, don't really know, but if I were to guess I'd say you'd played them), but know them mostly through discussions, let's plays/AARs and possibly having played some ~20 hours of Victoria 2 when Heart of Darkness came out, in any case they mostly like what they've heard/seen but would much rather play a Victoria 3 than go back to Victoria 2.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Apr 22, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So. What's a good stream/early access LP for Imperator to watch? I've seen most of the dev clashes, but thinking about it I might like to see something a bit more focused that shows off the singleplayer aspect of the game. It might also have something to do with me taking a 6 hour train ride today. Would honestly prefer someone who plays Rome or another republic, feel that might have the most of the internal stuff.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So when I asked about streams/let's plays, I never actually got a link.

Also the train broke down.

Links would be appreciated.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Thanks. Also... Jesus Christ how can there be so many streamers/youtubers/LPers?

They've replaced the broken down locomotive with an old(?) diesel-powered one. Hooking it on in front of the broken one.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Magissima posted:

I'm seeing a lot of my biggest mapgame streamer pet peeve, which is when they "apologize" for pronouncing things wrong but don't bother to try and learn the correct pronunciation, or sometimes even read the whole word. There's one guy playing Maurya who clearly put in some effort to get the Indian names right, which is cool, but there's so many more "Seculids" and "Ingvaeon— I'm not even gonna try to pronounce this one"

For the streamers most of their viewers aren't really gonna know how to pronounce this stuff either (though I bet there's a lot of assholes who think they do, probably based on having played Rome Total War 1 about 15 years ago, and don't know that they're also getting it wrong), so it's kind of ridiculous to go about apologizing for pronouncing stuff wrong. Seriously either just pronounce it as its written and looks to you and don't worry too much about it, or if you do, look up a couple of them and take a guess.

Based on what some here are saying I'm guessing that alot of people who watch streams probably just enjoy watching their English/American apologize for not being able to pronounce poo poo right, then arguing in chat over who is most correct (likely with all being incorrect).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TorakFade posted:

And this is where being Italian is actually an advantage, rather than a thing you get teased and mocked about. I can pronounce the vast majority of those names correctly because I am a descendant of Rome itself :agesilaus:

As could be said for most other Latin/Romance language speakers really. It's just a different flavor of correct, really, those are just as much Latin-based languages as Italian and have gone through just as much change.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

These are words and names from 2000+ years ago, if you think you are pronouncing them "correctly" you probably aren't. Still, thinking about it, it shouldn't hurt anyone to just look up how a couple of letters and diphthongs generally are supposed to sound and go from there, that way you'll atleast probably avoid "Fergia" and "TRI-ARE-EE-EYE!". Alot of English/American people seem to be hit with some kind of moron ray the minute they see something that looks a little bit different and immediately go about thinking it's much harder than it actually is (though of course that's subjective, what is and isn't hard largely depends on what language you've grown up speaking) even when its soudns and poo poo that they actually have and use on the regular.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Obliterati posted:

Admittedly this is a road that ends with me butchering the phrase 'Basilion Rhomaion' or whatever madness CK2+ has gone for

Just call it the "Kingdom of the Greeks", that's the proper name for that place.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nice. Hope it won't be too long out.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bloodly posted:

Well, who are they commanded by? Can't you make them independent, then reload?

Owned by Phrygia at game start it seems like. Lesbos is that island shaped like a slot machine cherry off the coast of Turkey. I've been there, it's pretty nice, they've got a volcanically petrified forest and the worst road I've driven on (and map I had labelled it as "good quality").

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Never play the newbie islands.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Horsebanger posted:

Who is starting Crete 2 thread?

Well, to whoever is considering starting an Imperator LP it might be best to give it a bit of time and maybe wait for the first DLC or something before jumping into doing anything as ambitious as a legislative LP. At least in my opinion.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Well, let's see how long this takes.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

8 minutes, huh. Let's see if it gets stuck at unpacking or allocating or whatever it is.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Drone posted:

The most damning review that I heard so far: "It reminds me of Stellaris 1.0"

Oof.

That's no good.

We'll see.

canepazzo posted:

No ledger? :argh:

What?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

So. Is force limit a thing? I'm unused to this interface and can't find it.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

guns for tits posted:

Are there events that make the Seleucids and Phrygians more prone to revolt? They seem pretty stable

I've played about 12 years as Rome, and Phrygia has already exploded in my game.

Now I'm going to be trying out Epirus. Also I think the starting armies for everyone is a bit weird. Epirus just has 12,000 archers. That seems wrong.

Kaza42 posted:

Aaaaaand here we go. First racist/sexist mod on the workshop! Disable Gender Equality in Britain

Is that really that bad, I mean pretty much no ancient cutlure was anywhere close to having gender equality. It kind of sucks that it seems to be an either on/off "women can't do anything" or "women can do anything", it would be more interesting and more accurate if it was more gradual and if perhaps in more equal societies that women can get into more roles if they have high relevant stats or certain traits.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 25, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Also a weird thing in Epirus. Pyrrhus's sister isn't his sister.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

The senate needs to vote approval on Wars but I have no idea what effects it

You can click the thumb symbol to get a rundown of support. The different factions will have somewhat different reasons, but ruler popularity and whether or not the ruler is a friend of a faction leader always has an impact. Try holding games or doing other things to become popular.

Anyway I have to agree with whoever said there's a resemblance to release Stellaris here. There's a bit more going on under the hood with the characters and such, but overall things feel a bit aimless in the same way.

I knew it going in but it's kind of amazing that they didn't do anything like EU4's mission or rivalry system in order to direct expansion and give the player clear goals and bring countries into conflict with each other. It feels like a massive throwback that Rome gets scripted events to give them free claims, essentially the result is the same, but it's only for certain countries, like Rome, and there's a lot less transparency and choice.

And a minor thing, notice how there's basically no available ambitions for rulers. Unless they have children. Kings are all content with life and republican rulers all want to become dictators. Reminds me of democratic mandates in Stellaris where there's actually a bunch of possibilities to script lots of them, but the game only shipped with two of them in the game (research or miming stations) with about 4 other ones incomplete and commented out.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 25, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ethiser posted:

Is there some sort of pop up that shows when someone joins a war? It’s kind of a pain to declare on someone not in an alliance or defensive pact and just have three other nations join in against you a few months in.

Also the AI sometimes just surrenders. I’m not sure what calculation it is using, sometimes they just full on surrender after one battle or when you take one province.

I think there's some AI issues which were gonna be addressed in a day 1 or 2 patch, related to being way til careful and eager to give up in a war.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

V for Vegas posted:

The instant assimilation and religious conversion feels really wrong.

Yeah. It's the button awesome connection all over again.

I feel like one necessary thing to do for an overhaul mod for this is to make the gradual approach by way of governor policy the main way to accomplish religious and cultural conersion (also different governmental and religions should care more or less about religious and cultural unity) as well as pop promotion.

That runs into the problem of needing more stuff to spend power on. Especially religious is kind of problematic because its used for stability and situationally useful for conversion. This is unlikely EU4 where you also need admin power for teching, ideas, development and occasionally reducing autonomy, dumping all of it into stability whenever you had enough was never a no-brainer.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 26, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Yeah, but I'm at +2 stability and still got 1000 religious power. Is conversions, stability, and omens it? I'm swimming in this stuff here.

Yup. They kind of didn't come up with enough competing uses for most of the monarch points in this one (oratory is the one with the most uses). There's no-brainers for what to spend it on and when you vant do that it just accumulates.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Huskalator posted:

So... am I expected to assimilate and convert every pop individually? Like is there a button to do those things en mass?

You can do it via the macro builder.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

What does a province having "directed investments" mean? How do I set a province to have that?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Terrifying murder Rome is better than puny Rome who slowly conquers Italy and then goes to play in Germania for another century or two and ignores the rest of the Mediterranean

I haven't really checked out their bonuses yet, but I feel like Rome's special snowflake status really could be portrayed through levy size bonus and boosts to manpower limits and (especially) manpower recovery as well as war exhaustion. There really weren't any other countries at the time that could actually suffer catastrophic losses that the Romans sometimes suffered in their early history and just keep on prosecuting a war, where pretty much everyone else would have come to the negotiating people. Like no one else would have welcomed the guy who led an army of ~80 000 citizens to their graves with standing ovation.

edit: btw, I Really feel like monarchies should be able to have their king be the general of their capital province legion.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Feb 18, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

I've seen people saying they need something to get them focused on Carthage, which seems plausible.

Huh, they don't? Like they seem to have mission chains to get them taking over Italy, they should have something to represent the whole Mamertine farce that got them into Sicily and the first Punic War.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Pfft, they're ranked 4th behind Rome, the Mauryans, and the Qin.

It's the Han Empire at this point in time. Qin is pretty far to the past.

Joke or not, the point stands though, the Parthians were not at the level of the Romans, they were never actually an existential threat to the Romans in any way, unlike the later Sassanid Empire was for the East. They were a regional power at best really, one which the Roman Empire having expanded to their limits, with their forces tied down maintaining the empire and generally beyond their logistical reach, could not subdue.

Still, I think I saw something in the patch notes about trying to facilitate the Parni grabbing the eastern parts of the Seleukid empire, which really there should be an event or mission chain for, since you have them for many other things.

The Kushan Empire is the true forgotten empire of the era (thogh it's towards the very end of it and basically just outside the game's timeframe) in any case, one which had world historical significance when it coems to silk road trade and transfer of Buddhism out of India.

KOGAHAZAN!! posted:

Naw, the game starts in 304 BCE. It's the tail end of the Warring States period, the Zhou are still around as a rump state and Qin Shi Huang won't crown himself emperor for another eight decades.

It'd be a pretty cool start point for Chinese action, if Paradox would extend the map.

EDIT: Drat, you're right.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Feb 19, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ilitarist posted:

It'd be great if the game told you the requirements for jobs. I've started as Epirus and expected my genius commander to be able to lead the army. But he's too young, fair enough. Then he's adult and I have dynastic crisis and the only dude I can choose to lead the troops is the leader of my enemies. To know if I can put my military researcher in command I'll have to try it and probably get some loyalty problems.

I'm pretty sure any legion commanders have to be unemployed. You can still get your ruler as commander in a battle though as he will lead your capital levy, it's just that that the legion commander is the one who's going to be getting loyal cohorts.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Where do you see the fort limit for a province? I'm beginning to suspect that that's what's driving my income to tank when I expand into new territories.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 19, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ilitarist posted:

What I mean is there are other requirements game doesn't tell me about. I have few guys I can set up as military researches, but there's only one dude available for commanding a legion. If I make someone unemployed they get loyalty penalty, I'm not sure it's fully compensated by rehiring, but in any case I don't want to fire people till the game allows me to make one of them a commander.

You have to assign them as legate or tribune for the legion, you can only select those guys to command units belong to it.

RabidWeasel posted:

I can't remember where it is on the UI, possibly under the little military tab? It defaults to 5 "levels" of forts where a level 1 fort = 3 levels and each upgrade after that is 1 level. Though I do recall reading that this might be buggy at the moment.

Yup, I found it. It's this button. Lower right icon there. Since there isn't anything like automatic free capital forts like in EU4 in this game you have to make extra sure to delete superfluous forts you acquire when you expand, especially when it's multiple smaller countries. Otherwise you'll crash your economy.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Somewhat related to the game, I just decided to mess around a bit and use Total War Rome 2's Divide et Impera mod to make a loose recreation of a battle I fought in my Epirote campaign, where I fought and decisively defeated a larger combined force of Macedonians and Greeks in the mountains near Ambrakia. Mostly it's just kind of cool to give a bit of context to this and get a look at how these armies might look.

The Greek-Macedonian army. I forgot to take screenshots to actually get a look at its composition (in Imperator) but I remembered it having more light infantry and light cavalry compared to mine. They've got a couple of units of pikemen, but most of their strength is in the form of hoplites with light equipment rather than proper Phalangites.

My Epirote army, while smaller, consists of a professional core of phalangites, heavy cavalry and perhaps most importantly war elephants brought in from Syria. The rest of the force consists of lightly equipped spearmen and skirmishers and some richer citizens fighting from horseback.

The battle opens with a Macedonian cavalry squadron being ambushed by Epirote skirmishers, who are then forced to withdraw in disarray as they are charged by spearmen and vicious Molossian war hounds.

Then follows a brutal melee, but despite their numbers the Macedonians soon begin to buckle against the superior quality of the Epirote infantry and the fearsome might of their elephants.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 19, 2021

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Is there a game with both naval and land combat where the naval combat is interesting?

Star Wars Empire at War springs to mind, I think you can generally count space combat as naval combat.

Anyway, it was mentioned last page. And Imperator really reminds me of Victoria now, maybe specifically Victoria 1 actually.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Torrannor posted:

If you put your infantry in front of your archers in a Total War game for example, the enemy's archers will advance until your infantry is just in range, and then simply shoot them without having to fear counter fire from your own archers (provided they both have the same range). That's why modern Total War games also default to putting your archers in front of your infantry.

Well, there's also the fact that there's very little evidence that archers in historical warfare really attacked indirectly in the style most often depicted in movies and video games, in fact most evidence in the form of illustrations and descriptions (also modern tests and recreation of weapons, armor and equipment) indicate that they almost always shot level.

Which is why when you see bowmen in historical battles they are typically in the first rank of a battle line in skirmish order or on the flanks of a formation, also in many cases they'd be paired up with a shieldbearing soldier, such as with the Persians or crossbow-armed infantry during the Crusades.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Feb 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Not medieval 2 and not battle speeches, but one of the best things in any of those games was much of Sweden's diplomacy dialogue in Empire and Napoloen Total War being ABBA lines.