Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Listening to the music in paradox games and not like, a podcast or something is a good way to get schizophrenia, and assorted mental illnesses

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Faffel posted:

Paradox music is overly bombastic and totally at odds with the mood of the games. I hate CK2's menu music.

Thanks.

You would also have to be the kind of person that scratches the eyes out of family photos to listen to ~12 tracks in games that are supposed to take hundreds of hours.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I am, controversially, enjoying Imperator

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Azuren posted:

How the hell do you pronounce Macedon, anyway? I've seen it Anglicized as "Makedon" before (Europa Barbarorum what up!) Hard K, there was no soft C right?

Pronounce how your heart tells you to

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Family Values posted:

English doesn't have any aspirated plosives so this is an awkward thing to say for English speakers,

Not quite true; English does, we just don't distinguish between them. The /p/ in "pin" is aspirated, but the /p/ in "spin" isn't.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Good luck on your own personal crisis of the third century.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
What're the penalties for going over 50 AE? Are they as bad as going over 100 OE in EU?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
That is my prayer, my final cry - I pour it out
with my own lifeblood. And you, my Tyrians,
harry with hatred all his line, his race to come:
make that offering to my ashes, send it down below.
No love between our peoples, ever, no pacts of peace!
Come rising up from my bones, you avenger still unknown,
to stalk those Trojan settlers, hunt with fire and iron,
now or in time to come,
whenever the power is yours,
Shore clash with shore, sea against sea and sword
against sword - this is my curse - war between all
our peoples, all their children, endless war!

Just finished my first full campaign as Carthage, after muddling around with a couple of other nations to find my feet. I had two goals for this: get the achievement for uniting Iberia as Carthage, and annex Rome. I succeeded in the former pretty easily, though I failed in the latter, mostly due to pressure from the pretty borders faction of the senate. I had a pretty good time, and I think after a few patch cycles this will probably be paradox's best game going. The map is fantastic: the always north projection thing they have going looks and feels great, and the small, easily conquerable thunderdomes meant that I had a tough endboss waiting for me in Rome without giving the Rome campaign a mindless beginning. And Rome made a really great endboss; just before signing the peace treaty of the first Italic war, there was a combined total of 1.9 million dead in total, and something like 300 pops enslaved each. Carthage proper became dominated by the Latin culture and Hellenic religion, just because of the sheer number of Roman slaves I had. The game isn't perfect though. Republics are far and away the most boring government type. Unlike the kingdoms I played with that had the looming threats of succession crises, or the loyalty fears in a tribe, the worst I ever saw as a republic was the occasional +20% power cost malus. Naval battles were also extremely boring at the end; I just had a 100 ship fleet that I set on "hunt down enemy ships" and then forgot about while occasionally clearing popups about naval battles. The army AI was a really nice boon to have, though it could naturally always use some upgrades. In particular, I would see it leave the last city I needed for the wargoal unoccupied while the rest of the province was painted green. In the end I still had a good time, and I'm looking forward to seeing what this game will become.

I'm not sure who I'm going to play next. I'm thinking Maurya maybe. Not something super difficult, but a bigger start would be nice to try. Maybe Egypt.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 15, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Democrazy posted:

What’s a good starting country to get into the basic mechanics of this game? I played the tutorial of Rome but I don’t want to have my first real Rome game until I can get it with two consuls. Maybe something like Macedon?

Macedon is a good choice

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

RabidWeasel posted:

Macedon is a really good choice given that it's geographically fairly small, powerful and wealthy, has easy expansion to the south and zero issues with culture etc.

It also comes with a clear achievement (unite Greece) that starts with you just bullying minors, but forces you to contend with the other big boys.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

Beta seems to have fixed the constant crashes I was getting so hooray I can finally finish the tutorial. I'm getting raided by pirates based in my own territory, is there any way to get rid of the pirate havens?

Yes.
\
__\
___ \

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Communist Bear posted:

In fairness, this is pretty accurate to history.

Rome was easily able to crush Carthage: hence, why there was only one Punic war.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

This isn’t really a good point. The first Punic war was long and brutal but Rome got everything they possibly could have wanted. Ancient wars generally weren’t to the death especially amount decently sized powers

You make it sound like the second Punic war didn't involve Rome's biggest defeat until Teutoberg.

e: In fact, I'm pretty sure you're thinking of the second Punic war. That one ends with Rome's hegemony over the entire western Mediterranean; the first Punic war only had them grab Sicily.

Arrhythmia fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 24, 2019

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fuligin posted:

Rome's rise to hegemony was neither preordained nor a cakewalk, they got their asses kicked on many occasions and frequently took horrendous casualties. So yea they shouldnt have a greased slide into power

:hai:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

No I’m talking about the first Punic war as that is what the post originally was talking about. Rome could not have realistically governed North Africa and They desperately did not want oversea possessions.

The islands didn’t count for reasons.

We are talking at cross purposes. I am saying being able to crush Carthage in, (A) an easy war and (B) a single war, is not accurate to history at all.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Average Bear posted:

Sucks that Joann is basically going through an existential crisis because this game was DOA

It's probably not helping that the only interactions he's having with the public are plebiscites about how much it sucks.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I loving hated Stellaris on launch and I will probably never revisit it.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Its changed dramatically since launch. How pops are managed, space travel, and a whole bunch of other stuff. I dont know why you hated it but it may be worth checking out sometime.

Mostly because after the initial expansion and event chains there was nothing to do but curb stomp the AI in unmatched wars (which it sounds like has changed, so kudos there) and because I am fundamentally uninterested in the setting (which probably isn't going to change).

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

jng2058 posted:

Thing is, you can sorta fix the setting problem with a couple of hours of work. I built 20 races and forced the game to use them and set the number of races in the game to 20. Now the setting is my setting. :shrug:

I'm going to spend those couple of hours playing a better game.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
If you're that big the troop AI being good or bad doesn't matter; you just zoom out all the way and crush them by virtue of having ten times as many troops. Maybe turn it off for the occasional siege.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

lmao what? So now heat/cold/rain/snow/disease no longer affect armies? Am I missing something here?

"Attrition now drains the food supply of an army, with high attrition increasing this."

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Chomp8645 posted:

There must be an option to display the year in in BC/AD... right?

Am I blind?

There ain't.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Fister Roboto posted:

I downloaded this again for the free week, and what the gently caress am I supposed to be doing? I've got almost 3000 hours on EU4 but this game feels insanely overwhelming. And not in a good way.

Paint the map your colour, same as it ever was.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Had a strange bug?

One of my armies suddenly turned into someone else's army? Like they have my general and my army now.

It's the revolt army of some rando in Italy (i'm Syracuse). The army now says it's the "Tarentine Revolt".

What.

- Roman Senate, circa January 49 BCE

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Someday, someone will make my ideal paleolithic game.

Someday :smith:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Sampatrick posted:

I feel like I would have way more fun playing the game if the game didn't start with the three gently caress off massive empires dominant empires in the most interesting parts of the map.

Noted. I'll get into the time machine and fix that one right up for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

DrSunshine posted:

With the Steam sale Imperator's only like $11 for the Centurion bundle, I'm considering grabbing it -- is it any good yet?

As good as it will ever get; they said they're not doing more updates.