Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
lol these are seriously the only skin tone options gently caress this game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Your skin tone options are: white, cream, eggshell, mayo, snow, pearl, chalk, and off-white

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
In their language there are sixty different words for subtle differences on white skin tones and yet not a single one for anything else

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I have never heard of the sun nor would I ever allow it to pierce my solid steel plates coating my body.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
It's just yet another instance in the perpetuated myth that Europe in its middle history was exclusively white and not like there were people of other cultures were all over the place. The same white supremacist pieces of poo poo who champion things like Kingdom: Come Deliverance as historically accurate. I just really wish there was one of these first-person knight-and-sword-havers games that wasn't so loving up its own rear end. Bannerlord please where are you my family is dying

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Sharkopath posted:

You can't be a dusky southern Italian condotierre, a failure of immersion.

You can't even be a southern French chevalier with these tones. Can guarantee your dude has never even once heard of an olive, skin or fruit

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The fact that it didn't launch with extensive skin tones is fuckin' embarrassing. There's a lot of things in the creation of video game art that are in fact pretty hard, but you know? Hue shifting textures isn't one of them.

And their excuse that they'll be put in alongside the cultures' weapons and armor that they allegedly represent is, again, just perpetuating a (very common and very racist in origin) revisionist take on historical Europe, in that "of course no one outside of those cultures ever used them or traveled anywhere."

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Telltolin posted:

i noticed this in chiv also (and PVK2, and to a lesser extent, M&B warband), games like this tend to attract a certain type of... supremacist. In fact, the duel server I'd been slumming around on since launch day seems to have several of them in administrative positions, which is just lovely. I feel like that kind of community strongly contributed to the slow death of chivalry, because it seems to be prevalent among the regular players. I'm sure a large percentage of them would have you believe they're just trolling and trying to get a rise out of people, but I'm sure you're able to form your own judgement even without hearing specifics. I have a dirty feeling I know what attracts them to games with knights and swords and what have you. Which kinda blows, because knights and swords have been a favorite fantasy setting of mine since I was a little kid and now they're forcing an unsavory association into my head. I also don't like seeing black kids get run out of servers because they're bothered by all of the Actual Factual Racism, which has happened at least twice I've seen, to one guy that attempted to defend himself and another that got found out because of their profile picture.

I like mordhau, a lot. If we ever open a dedicated goon dueling server, please post about it in the thread so I can hopefully keep my sanity :)

Without batting around the bush, here, uh - knights & vikings are extremely used as symbols of white supremacy, yes. Any game that has them as a big part of its aesthetic will attract that crowd, and you better believe every single one of these kinds of games has.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Bardeh posted:

So apparently they sold 500k copies already, which isn't bad for a tiny team who all work remotely. Well deserved though, game's awesome.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/629760/announcements/detail/1616140423563616612

Really looking forward to see if they use some of this money to let you play as a nonwhite person

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

lovely Wizard posted:

9 posts primarily about the game's lack of skin tones yet not a single comment on the gameplay in any of those posts... :thunk:

Well yeah, I bought the game, noticed you could only be white, and refunded it. I'm not loving supporting a game that enables white supremacists like this. The moment that they do add more I will likely play the game and enjoy it, because I enjoyed Chivalry, warts and all, and if this really is better Chivalry then I'm extremely down.

It's just that I'm only down if the devs aren't white supremacists themselves and I want them to prove it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Wow, so success means something can't possibly be racist? Dang

Didn't know that. Cool to learn

Guess you Showed Me

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

timn posted:

At risk of starting up bigotry chat again, there was a dev/community manager on one of the official US Central servers earlier this evening dropping some not so subtle hints about handing out bans to people using slurs or being shits in general. :unsmith:

This is great news.

I heard some scuttlebutt that they will in fact be adding additional skin color options with a patch soon, and if that is the case (as embarrassing as it is that the game didn't launch with them and I will remember this as a downside forever,) then I'm perfectly fine with buying this game up again.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

timn posted:

Even in response to positive news you still somehow manage to be a miserable poo poo about it. Please go away.

No. In fact, according to this news

cerebral posted:

I'm watching the Community Manager play right now and he said that there were small nerfs to horses incoming, and that female character models would also be added soon. He said that there would be a setting to only display male models for people who wanted to "preserve historical accuracy" (said with air quotes and heavy sarcasm), as well as a setting to only display female models for those who "only want to play with waifus." He is discussing what the hold up is on adding darker skin tones, and his response is that they are working on new facial models with the proper structure for a given ethnicity rather than just slapping darker tones onto the existing models, as they feel that that is "cheap" and doesn't reflect a real attempt to add diversity. It sounds like they get it and they are trying. https://www.twitch.tv/jaxpc

I like this dude a lot.

I'm probably gonna be sticking around 'cuz this is genuinely very good news and I'm glad to hear it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Perestroika posted:

Yeah, Kingdom Come's combat is just unfortunate. The devs put a huge amount of effort into making sure that it's historical, and realistic,

And by this you mean that they claim that it's historical and realistic and under the slightest bit of actual historical scrutiny the entire thing falls apart as neither of these things.

This holds true for everything in Kingdom Come: Deliverance.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Phlegmish posted:

Yes, obviously. Here is my viking axe bro:

Replace the brigandine with either lamellar or chainmail, this "studded leather" look isn't working out

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

hakimashou posted:

Uh im not 'the left'

gamer's have no rights. if you're a gamer's you will not survive

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Stretch Marx posted:

You people don't want medieval war sim. You want CS:GO with swords.

For the most part I'm on your side about this with how I don't hate horses or archers and stuff but:

Actually yes, I do want this.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The big cultural equipment update I suspect and also would really like is a bunch of Ottoman stuff, because that would cover for so many equipment-based things they're currently weirdly missing, like sabers and mail/plate mixes. The Ottomans also had an enormous influence on Eastern Europe, too, so a lot of the equipment from the area there has Ottoman stuff as its origin.

(Give me the ability to play as those cultures first tho, 'cuz I'd want to actually look like a sipahi with a kilij rather than some rando with one)

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Yeah, you should pretty much always wear at least a 1 point hat. I know that a lot of them are kinda ugly but the difference between like the majority of weapons in the game one-shotting you without a hat on and taking two swings is pretty huge.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Well time to uninstall the game again

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Wake me up when they actually fuckin' do it, then.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Ah, gotcha. Apologies.

Jax seems all right. I think he just doesn't know how to handle being community manager of a game that's sold over a million copies, a ton of which to actual scum of the earth, and having to deal with a development team that barely knows non-white people exist in the first place.

i.e. they need to hire a fuckload more people to moderate this poo poo and prioritize in-game ability to report these racists

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The biggest and easiest one, in my opinion, is provide way easier ways to submit reports of players. Like, it should be as easy as tab -> right click username -> report player. That's the minimum. This is how the big competitive Ubisoft games do it, and it's rather nice. I know comparing the second largest video game company in the world to an indie team's kind of unreasonable, but it's good inspiration.

They'd probably also need to, like I said, hire people to deal with these reports.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

If you're gonna bring up Godwin's Law, may as well point out that Mike Godwin pretty solidly thinks modern conservatives deserve to be called nazis

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

TorakFade posted:

I like the changes but honestly I'm not getting back to it until they add new maps. I will puke if I have to play any of the basic 4 maps yet again, I believe it is by far the game's worst weakness now.

Personally I'd say all the racists is this game's worst weakness but that's me

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Sure but that doesn't stop the fact that the game like actively harbors those racists and doesn't change anything. That's an extremely weak response.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
can you still only play as a white dude in this game

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

to the history purists that blindly say "well you can't have a black knight because there weren't any black knights," you're forgetting completely that a) history is inherently revisionist, b) race is a social construct and medieval europe was filled with a variety of ethnicities, including north africans, c) it's a loving video game where people dress up like shrek, play pokemon music on the lute, and shoot each other with actually-in-the-loving-game pistols.

so yeah, lets have an inclusive skin tone slider and a male-female option plz

the patron saint of the holy roman empire was a black dude

so yeah 100% agree

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

GyverMac posted:

Eh, english isnt my first language, I'll try to restructure the sentence, hopefully it will make more sense. The question i was trying to ask was if other ethnically monogamous historical games will be subjected to the same demands for racial diversion as Mordhau and Kingdom Come has.

This is complete protector-of-european-purity horseshit.

First off, Mordhau isn't set during a real time period or place. It features equipment and attitudes and whatever spanning at least 600 years all across Europe, from as north as like 900s Norway to west as 1500s Portugal and east as inspirations from the Kievan Rus and a tiny bit of the Byzantines. That's literally all of Europe minus Finland. And you know what Europe never was during that time period?

Ethnically monogamous. Ethnic majority? Sure, but consider that there's those Portuguese large two-handed swords: during that era, the Moors still ruled the Iberian Peninsula. Trade, communication, and believe it or not, immigration is like not only common through both ways with Northern Africa, it was pretty much commercially necessary. The Silk Road exists, the Mongol Empire is knocking on Eastern Europe's door - and in Hungary's case, kicking it in - and this just naturally means people settle everywhere. Racism as it exists in the modern sense isn't how Medieval peoples thought of eachother; it's both more and less virulent, the concept of "whiteness" didn't exist. Xenophobia exists, sure, but xenophobia in the sense that you hate those who surround you - Europeans of the time mainly hated other Europeans, because "I, a Genoan, despise those Venetian motherfuckers for any number of reasons, from arbitrary ones to them poaching sea trade right from under my nose to outright piracy, or what have you." That kind of thing, and of course Religion is far, far more important of a reason for them at the time to despise anyone rather than the color of their skin - the Pope says so, and the Papacy is literally the closest thing to a central authority in Europe (up until Protestantism runs rampant in the HRE.)

Whatever the case, Mordhau isn't historically accurate - at all - and the inclusion of being able to play as anyone but a pasty white boy with this hopeless number of skin tones would improve that immensely.

Kingdom Come: Deliverance is like, this but even worse, because it is set during a historical time and place and is supposed to be historically, and fucks it up royally anyway with some historical revisionist bullshit, and pointing it out to the (gamergater, rear end in a top hat) developers is met with derision. Like, come the gently caress on, the patron saint of the HRE, Saint Maurice, is a black dude. Bohemia would have had tons of nonwhite folks!! It's an economically important center in the HRE, of course there's both permanent and temporary residents from elsewhere there!!

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
What, are you annoyed that I'm mad about racists? Go gently caress yourself.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
I'm sorry, do you think people change their mind on reading a coddling-written essay? Do you think that the scores of people learning to hate others for arbitrary reasons do so because they're reading people calmly explain "You should hate brown people because they're not human"? That they say that garbage as kindly and sensibly as possible?

Absolutely not. The most convincing argument is always done from a place of emotion, and guess what, being fuckin' mad is the best way to do it. If it works for the good old fashioned bigots of the world, why shouldn't anyone else do it? Civility is a fake-rear end concept to keep people quiet.

So I'm going to just reiterate go gently caress yourself.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

GyverMac posted:

Uh, what, did you just call me a racist?

If you don't want to be called a racist then don't use textbook racist dogwhistling. If you're genuinely unaware that that's all it is, then sure, I apologize - but also now you know.

Edit: like, okay, I'll be honest here - the reason why this is the case is that "but when will everyone else recognize that xenophobia and historical revisionism is bad??" has the unspoken added implication "until they do it too, I don't have to admit it". Yes, every country in the world should face their history and past and accept that other human beings have always existed, but you know what doesn't need to come up when we're talking about the ethnic homogeneity or relative lack thereof in Europe? That same topic of the rest of the world - just like how if we were to talk about Japan's historical contact and poor treatment of Koreans, Chinese, their own other non-Yamato native peoples etc, bringing up "but also England in India, though" is irrelevant. There's an entire name for this as a logical fallacy - it's called Whataboutism, and is like propaganda 101 - which is why it's a white supremacist dog whistle.

mdct fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Apr 28, 2020

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Just checkin' in if, in the year 2020, more than a year and a half since this game released, it allows you to play as anything but a white dude still?
I've had my arguments in here and I'm good as far as having another one goes, I just like to check in periodically about it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
Ah, so still no. Thanks for the head's up.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

megane posted:

Does it have characters that aren't white dudes

Yes, which by itself puts it thousands of years ahead of Mordhau.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
also lmao the Mason faction isn't the Masonic Order you dumb motherfucker

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
My hope is that since Mordhau still exists and loves catering to racists, while Chivalry 2 lets you play as women & POC and thus might turn them away. Hopefully.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
The good thing about it being EGS timed exclusive is that it's a lot harder to change your username on the EGS and there's actual rules surrounding it, so there's less obviously racist ones.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.
They've never done anything to curb the racist environment of the game, and made completely empty promises early about later including other skin tones and playable women (the latter even with a somewhat finished model, even.) It's been nearly two years and they've never even hinted that those are coming soon, on top of promoting a preeeetty hostile atmosphere on their official forums.

Long and short of it, the reason why this game has so many racists is because the devs court and are making the game for those racists. Eastern European dev studios, baybee!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Don't steal them.

Vengarr posted:

You guys know you can turn off chat completely in settings, right? You won’t miss anything.

Just because I don't see it doesn't mean I'm not mad that it happens regardless. I would turn off the in-game chat for lovely Gamers reasons regardless, even without throwing on white supremacy on top of it.