Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Helpful review! I have purchased the game based on this negative review.

"can't do special moves like backwards overhand" lol get the gently caress out of here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Babe Magnet posted:

yeah the progression may be mostly resolved but they're still getting blown the gently caress up server-wise. You can use the browser without a ton of issues though.

huh strange, a friend an I had zero luck using the server browser tonight. Literally nothing ever showed up.

However the matchmaking feature did work, go figure.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Babe Magnet posted:

I'm starting to get pretty good at weapons I don't want to use lol

Day one I unlocked all sorts of random bullshit before more unlocking got disabled. I feel very fortunate to have rocks, the stupidest looking hat I could find, pole ax, long spear and a hammer

really wish I had fire pots or smoke bombs but hey it could be worse

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Commoners posted:

Ran into a guy with a bunch of music macros for the lute. He would run up to 1v1s and start playing duel of the fates or flight of the bumblebee and it was great.

At one point I was in the middle of a fight and I turned on him and chucked two pans at his head, killing him, before killing the guy I was 1v1ing. My duel partner failed to save the music.

How uncouth. No surprise though as commoners just don’t appreciate the fine arts

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nordick posted:

I'd enjoy this game even more if it didn't start severy stuttering for a few seconds every few minutes. Really loving cool to be in a nice fight that's going well and suddenly HRRRKRRRKK and I'm dead because i can't loving see what's happening.

I was having this problem the other night too.

Day 1 no problem, ran amazingly well on 64 player frontlines

Day 2 intermittent freezing up despite having rock solid locked 60 fps

I ended up turning off cloth physics and the next day I had no problems. I’m not sure if it was the cloth physics or something server side being overloaded, but it seems to be gone for me now

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

Maybe. But being shirtless and using a zweihander or estoc or battle axe, which a lot of people seem to do, will get you turned into a red mist by an archer you're trying to jump because of how fast the cleaver is and your lack of protection. That's assuming you make it to the archer.

I'm really starting to feel like the cleaver's broken. Maybe it's just because people aren't good at fighting against fast weapons yet or what, but its damage against armor isn't horrible and you can just go nuts on somebody and they can't do much if they can't properly chamber one of your attacks, which is really hard to do against something that swings that fast. I added it to my short spear loadout instead of one the perks (I think the jumping stamina reduction one) and now my short spear is basically just a javelin I use on approaching.

It's probably just people being bad but the number of times I've had somebody with a zweihander parry a cleaver attack then start a swing only to discover it's actually still my turn and get shredded is impressive.

Edit: What does the "Feint or Parry" hotkey that isn't bound by default do? I'm guessing it cancels attacks into feint if you hit it while swinging, or just parries if you aren't swinging. That's kind of tempting to use ( especially since I ALWAYS try to right click to cancel attacks) but there's times when you want to take an attack into a parry, not just feint.

I wonder if you could just right click twice to go from attack to feint to parry, and how much delay you would add doing that.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

TorakFade posted:

Thanks!

1. I already did, I have it configured as such: mousewheel forward is stab, mousewheel back is overhead, side button 1 is horizontal, side button 2 is underhand. ALT changes the direction (default everything is right), I'm not sure if I should keep that also mouse x axis does (currently trying this out, and I still jerk my view around too much for this to consistently work, but I'm getting better). This way I can use the 240 system naturally with the left mouse button, and then if I really need to do a particular strike, I will have it on the mouse.

2. you monster. That sounds so wrong.

3. I'll have to try it, I only spent 5 minutes in 3rd person, got dizzy and confused so went back to 1st person :v:

4. parrying is not a big issue, sometimes I'll get the timing wrong of course but it's mostly fine. Actually in a few occasions people have been clearly frustrated by me parrying all they threw at me (until I fail footwork and they can get around me, I finish stamina and get disarmed, or another enemy sneaks on my back. I definitely lack situational awareness and positioning, and quick enough reflexes to consistently riposte/counterattack let alone chamber, it mostly happens by sheer chance :v: ). What really irks me are facehuggers with relatively fast weapons (1handers usually), I have no idea how to interrupt them, everytime I try to kick or stab them they score a hit, I flinch and I'm basically dead :smith:

my favorite weapons til now: longsword for murdering peasants (knight preset), mace + shield when I see a lot of heavy armored people (protector preset), and a custom billhook + arming sword + shield 2/3/1 when I'm not sure because it can mostly do everything, good mix of speed, reach, damage and defense. Evaluating if

game has crashed 3 times in 15 minutes, maybe I have to dial down my GPU overclock; this is a nice looking game but can be pretty taxing when everything is at ultra 1440p (CPU 2600x + GPU 1080, I get around 75-80 FPS on my 60Hz monitor)

also, I wish this had "newbie" servers like Chivalry, getting to fight against people that have practised for 2 years and/or are already level 18+ is ... frustrating

If your having any performance or crashing problems (even if the game appears to run great in most scenarios) try turning off cloth physics. Many people are reporting that helps.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Deakul posted:

So, I want to get into this but I'm... almost afraid to hop online after trying to get through the tutorial.

Just how important is all of the stuff in the tutorial to have fun with the game?

well i mean if you want to be good obviously you need to do that stuff

you can just go 3x heavy and just wildly swing around a huge sword or club and still have a good time though. Morphing attacks is a very easy way to land hits on people to seem to parry everything and all you have to do it click normal attack then click stab attack before your wind up is complete

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Perestroika posted:

One thing I'd recommend early on is finding yourself a small server. Doesn't even have to be a dedicated Duel server, just something that's like 12 players or fewer. It's generally less frustrating if you've got some time to actually see what's going on without getting immediately steamrolled by half a dozen people the moment you turn around. Besides, it also tends to be a way more chill atmosphere, letting you shoot the poo poo with the others and do dumb stuff.

this is very good advice

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Midgetskydiver posted:

What is the feint he keeps doing over and over ending in the face thrusts?

Morph. Its a 'soft' feint from a strike (slashing) to a stab, or from a stab to a strike. You do a strike, then immediately do a stab, and your attack with begin with the wind up animation for a strike then come out as a stab.

This is much faster than doing a strike, pressing the feint key, then doing a stab. That would be a 'hard' feint.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Its amazing how sometimes a weapon just clicks with you and its as if that's the weapon you should have used the whole time.

I'd used all the big rear end 2h swords and plenty of the shorter swords, ignoring longsword because it seemed like it existed in some strange in between zone. But I buy it because, hey why not, then go 16-0 wtf. I guess I'm home now, feels good.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Nalesh posted:

Is he using the directional key mode for swing angle?

Also what's the point of throwing knives, they just seem like worse throwing axes, do you get more of em or something?

I think he says he uses default everything on 240 mode, except he removed the discrete binds for parry and fient and uses the combined option (where if you are swinging and right click once you fient, if you double click it parries).

edit: oh and looks like he does chose attack direction AFTER click, which I don't think is default.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 6, 2019

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

soy posted:

I can't stop playing this game, I see it when I close my eyes at night.

Please add more maps, but otherwise I have 0 complaints.

It would be nice if you could somehow tell where your squad mates are when you make a squad with your friends, but that's not really a complaint.

Hopefully they push out workshop support soon, so the community can take off building their own maps.

Devs said they have 2 official maps coming soon which is cool I guess.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

lovely Wizard posted:

Also does it take forever for US Battle Royale matches (both east and west) to queue or is it just me?

Not just you, Its a worldwide bug the devs are working on.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Internet Kraken posted:

Does this game have flails? I remember I was actually pretty good with the flail knight in Chivalry.

Flails would be cool yea! I totally forgot they had flails on Chiv

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does brawler increase kick damage?

There should definitely be a perk that boosts kick damage.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Section Z posted:

Frivolous question. Does anyone have any idea what the Stone Damage stat even applies to? Like, every proper weapons is just "2 damage", but some of the peasant weapons like the sledge hammer and pickaxe list stuff like 60/100 stone damage.

loving around in frontline, seems the mallet built sandbag walls still run off the wood damage stat. But I have not done any horde mode, so are there stone walls peasant slowly break down in that mode, or what?

They probably planned on having some kind of objective for it, like beating up a stone wall or something.

Also supporting the decision to make the maps one-way attack/defense style. There’s a lot of cool sections of the maps that never get used (or if they do see action the map is already over anyway). Fighting to defend the king is cool, but if your pushed back that far you’ve already lost with no hope to win.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Orv posted:

I've definitely been enjoying half strength (or even just 42 instead of 64) Frontline. Still challenging fights but you do actually get fights instead of just swirling melees of giant gently caress You zones.

This is the Frontline secret. ~40 player frontline is pretty cool. Well except the staring tickets are way too high (same as 64).

However 64 player skirmish (32v32 no respawn) is totally awesome, insane as gently caress, and an excellent mode to deploy your gimmick builds.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The correct counter to rapier is to wield the all mighty cleaver and just outspam them.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
This game has the best BR mode. It's like the scrappy hobo fights at the start of PUBG, but instead of only lasting for 30 seconds until someone finds a gun, its a peasant hobo fight with trash gear for the whole match. Love that the matches last for like 7 minutes too. You spawn with 2-4 other people in your line of sight so there is no wasted time.

I thought it would be a dumpster mode, just thrown in, but its actually quite fun. Always look behind you.

Give it a shot if you have not tried it.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

megane posted:

Horde mode is pretty half-baked though. The enemies do not know how to climb ladders, so when I tried every round ended with one guy in a sniper tower s l o o o o o o w l y sniping down the entire wave.

Yea that one could use some more love with more gimmick dudes to expand on the giants/huge maul dude/firepot dwarfs.

They did quickly patch those towers to remove the ammo crates from up in them. Can only camp in them now until you run out of ammo.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Veryslightlymad posted:

Bloodlust is too good of an ability. 100% health if you kill a guy?

Like, the counter is just "quite a few things kill you in one hit anyhow" but.... eh. Lots of things don't, and that's an enormous amount of survivability that far outperforms any 5 points worth of armor. As near as I can tell, it outperforms 9 points of armor.

I made a guy with Messer and bloodlust and he's my most effective guy, but I can't tell how much of that is the Messer being the one weapon I understand, and how much is bloodlust being broken as hell.

5 points is quite a bit when you consider you heal 25? Hp for no perk when you get a kill.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

TorakFade posted:

Trying to learn feints now, both reading them (haha I'm bad, panic parry all the time everytime) and doing them (haha I'm worse, people just stab me in the face).

Am I correct in thinking I'd better focus on my parrying / footwork / reading the opponent game first? Feinting seems to carry relatively little reward for scrubs like me, morphs seem to be more useful on the offensive, and straight parry (FTP actually I guess) on the defensive.

As a new player focus on morphs to get around someone with a strong defense. Just slash then input a poke to morph the attack, if they early parry the expected slash your stab will hit.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

hakimashou posted:

3rd person defeats the whole purpose of the game

what is the purpose of the game?

as i understand its to spend 90% of your time loving around in the character editor. thus third person is very important to enjoy your style in a match

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

The messer only does 50 damage to level 2 armor. If you see numbers that big against level 3 guys you're probably accidentally getting headshots.
There are only a few weapons that hit hard enough to kill level 3 armor in two hits: waraxe, executioner sword, mace, eveningstar, maul, and apparently the peasant sledgehammer.

The messer's big downside is that its stabs are pretty lackluster so you have to use a less-varied offense of mostly just slashes, and morphs are less useful/effective. Against level 3 armor it doesn't kill any faster than e.g. the longsword which can also stab properly in addition to slashing. I still like it a lot, especially in frontline when lots of people run around with level 2 or below armor.
Estoc has the same problem in reverse because its stabs hit hard but its slashes are weak. Like the messer it can two-shot with stabs against level 2 armor but is no better than the longsword against level 3 (although it's longer).

Greatsword and zweihander get bigger and bigger reach advantages while still hitting hard with both attack types. Greatsword can also two-shot level 2 body armor with stabs (like the estoc), while zweihander can two-shot it with either stabs or slashes.

I love me some theory crafting too but I feel like in non duel modes a lot of weapons open up as viable. People often do not have full hp when you are engaging them, which can make some of the weapons that don’t dominate at the 2/3 break points very effective.

lovin’ that messer

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

A Typical Goon posted:

Well there goes my strategy of using the heater shield and then hitting people in the back of the head with an ax after they turn away to fight someone else because they're frustrated they can't hit me

:kicks this post to death:

E: I use a heater + messer too I think it will still be good, just not as lame

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Hang this in the louvre next to Mona Lisa, this is high art

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Disgusting Coward posted:

It's not the most killy but it DOES look as cool as gently caress and that's the important thing.

Fear factor stat A+

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Ravenfood posted:

What I want to know is, how can I get flinched by a horsefield and then killed by the rider's couched spear in the same pass?

trying to stay true to the source material of horses from mount and blade - the bump/slash where you could horse bump people behind an active shield, flinch their shield hold, and slash kill them in the same pass. you can do the same thing here with the right angle.

only difference was mount and blade balanced it by having horses rear up and stop if a pole arm stabbed them in the front

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Rocks down to 1 point!!!!!!! all is good in the world

and new map!

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I don’t know how exactly but I think it should be clearer that you can cap the central point on the ground level, not just up in the top of the treehouse.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Commoners posted:

I really like the new map.

I appreciate that it ends ~ 1000x faster than some of the other maps.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

rarbatrol posted:

Hello, new to the game. How do I tell in-game which shield is blocking/parrying?

"Is block held" in advanced stats.

Heater Shield - can hold block
Kite Shield - can hold block
Targe - no block hold (increased parry window)
Buckler - no block hold (increased parry window)

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I thought jo jos are a potato dish

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Orv posted:

I'd like to see something like a 20/24/26 range Frontline server, honestly. So many problems in this game are magically alleviated by not trying to max the player count.

On the flip side 50 player skirmish servers are a ton of fun. I enjoy large skirmish servers much more than the 24player ones.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Minorkos posted:

I feel like the fact that this fight lasts over a minute despite non-stop face-smashing and still goes to stamina multiple times is kind of epitomic of the game's problems. Actually getting a hit in (not just causing stamina damage by forcing your opponent to chamber cancel or parry) is really loving hard against a good player. I don't think getting up in your opponent's face and playing a reaction game to reduce his stamina to 0 is especially fun, and I'd really prefer it if feints were an actual mix-up. But I guess that's not really the kind of game they're trying to make, or maybe they foolishly listened to people who complained about feints being "unfair" in Chivalry

By any actual mixup do you mean unreactable?

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
The mix of the combat system is quite good in my opinion, I’m always able to identify why I die, it’s never just nebulous ‘bullshit’.

That’s pretty refreshing coming from For Honor, which I really do like, but it has a lot of problems. In For Honor there is a very bad balance between what is unreactable, what is too easily punished and how that leads to very defensive (boring) play.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Mode 7 posted:

Having used the longsword a lot more now, I'm kind of bummed out about the poleaxe, it's a super cool weapon historically and I love the way it looks but I can't see why I'd ever take it over a longsword. The longsword is faster, has the same reach, and does comparable enough damage for a point less. I'd kind of like to see the devs bump the poleaxe point cost back up and tack on a little range.

Doesn't the pole axe have 2 hit kill stabs on heavy armor? I know the longsword can't do that. I am surprised to see the range on thrust is the same though. Maybe the poleax could get more stamina damage, as it is a much heavier weapon than the longsword.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
Does the option to turn chat off not work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
I legit love the chat in this because it helps remind me how loving stupid and petty everyone is on the internet. Sometimes I forget because I ditched Facebook a while back, so I don’t get much exposure to people having meltdowns on display.

Euro servers in Warband Napoleon mod were a true goldmine where people are taking poo poo about tiny nation grudges from 200 years ago, not ready to let go yet.

Captain Beans fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jul 2, 2019