Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

2nd Amendment posted:

They should bring back the cobra kai girl who tried some real life $camming and got kicked off the show as an art imitating reality thing.

??

Was that the heavy set black girl from season 1? I wondered what happened to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

killer crane
Dec 30, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2019

I feel like Miguel's father's storyline is unresolved, so I'm going to assume Kreese and Kim meet up with him in Mexico, and recruit his teenage cage fighters for the sekai taikai under the cobra kai name.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

BiggerBoat posted:

??

Was that the heavy set black girl from season 1? I wondered what happened to her.

I thought the creators said they just didn't have anything for the character (which is kind of a silly reason, you're a writer, figure it out) and that's why she wasn't on.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I feel like "didn't have anything for the character" is usually code for something else

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
She was one of the better actors of the original kids and I think she was in last season for an episode or two. She said they moved away because she was getting into karate fights, which seems like a reasonable writing excuse to have her not on the show much anymore.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The last scene she was in was horribly acted and seemed like a competition between her and Mary Mouser to see who could do the most flat and awkward line read. I don't know if it was due to dissatisfaction of being written out of the show or if it was because they ran it through in one take.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

killer crane posted:

I feel like Miguel's father's storyline is unresolved, so I'm going to assume Kreese and Kim meet up with him in Mexico, and recruit his teenage cage fighters for the sekai taikai under the cobra kai name.

It was a bit abrupt, but I was also a bit relieved they didn't drag it out. One of the few times I've watched a show and felt that way about a main character plot thread. Like there wasn't much more to say about that character anyway, so it would only have been stuff no one really wanted just to give a real conclusion.

Heck, when Miguel reunited with Johnny in Mexico, I was dreading the possibility that the dad would come outside and be like "you.... So you WERE working for the federals!" with his gun out. If Johnny beat him with Karate dad poo poo, I think that might've been one cheesy turn too many for even this series.

That said, I would be open to finding out the dad is sponsoring his own evil karate dojo for the world tournament.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Robobot posted:

She was one of the better actors of the original kids and I think she was in last season for an episode or two. She said they moved away because she was getting into karate fights, which seems like a reasonable writing excuse to have her not on the show much anymore.

Having her character shitcanned after being one of the standouts is probably my main biggest gripe with Cobra Kai.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!

AndyElusive posted:

Having her character shitcanned after being one of the standouts is probably my main biggest gripe with Cobra Kai.

I assumed that the actress must have wanted out for the way she was written out of the show. The way they were developing the character would have easily fit in with all the subsequent seasons, perhaps in a reduced role.

Looking at it now the official message is they didn't have a place for her in the script, and she wasn't invited back because of that - but surely there is more to it than that when many of the minor / background kids persist across seasons.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
While I feel like Aisha wouldn't have stuck around with the direction CK (dojo not show) took, she could easily have defected like the other ex-Cobras or been like "yeah this is getting weird I'm done" and kept hanging around for non-karate scenes

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's also really easy to see how they created Tory out of wholecloth as a replacement for Aisha. Tory even kind of has a more extreme version of what Aisha's arc would have been, "sad girl becomes 'Cobra Kai till I die', until Cobra Kai's inherent toxicity shockingly betrays her." Sam and Aisha becoming mortal enemy karate rivals and then making up like Miguel and Robbie just makes sense, so they slotted Tory in there to fill the gap.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Oct 6, 2022

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I predict I'll be in the minority when I say that I think it would have been cooler if it was Aisha in that role instead of Tory, but Peyton List gets a lot of love.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I think a Back to the future reboot would basically look like the Robocop movie from a few years ago. Not exactly bad, but would likely completely miss what made the first series so magical.

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

AndyElusive posted:

I predict I'll be in the minority when I say that I think it would have been cooler if it was Aisha in that role instead of Tory, but Peyton List gets a lot of love.

It would be quite a different story. I don't see Aisha being willing to flat out try to kill Sam like Tory has a couple times

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Narcissus1916 posted:

I think a Back to the future reboot would basically look like the Robocop movie from a few years ago. Not exactly bad, but would likely completely miss what made the first series so magical.
More people need to take the Ocean's Eleven approach of remaking something that was a good idea, but didn't turn out well.

But since the entire point of remaking things is to save several tens-of-millions in marketing costs, that strategy will basically never be employed.

You can't catch lightning in a bottle twice and not every IP needs to become a franchise, but no video stores means no more free experimentation. It's pretty sad. It's nice that so much good stuff is being made that none of us will ever have the time to watch it all, but it's all happening on television and we do lose a little something in that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

CubanMissile posted:

The first time I ever saw Robbie on this show I thought “oh wow if they ever need a new Green Ranger…”

Please put that loving Monkey's Paw down.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Silver not just getting arrested, but being the only person to get arrested was :psyduck:, especially after the show highlighted the ways he could get away with what he did.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr Christmas posted:

Silver not just getting arrested, but being the only person to get arrested was :psyduck:, especially after the show highlighted the ways he could get away with what he did.

Ending the season and/or the show with literally everyone BUT Krese in prison would have been hilarious, not going to lie.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
it’s 80s movie logic, which the show often operates on. I’m sure the rest of cobra Kai, been foreign nationals, won’t be able to stay out of prison for all of next season.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

There's not really any logical reason that Silver would actually stay in prison. Fucker will lawyer up and buy his way out of prison. Probably even pay bail and end up at the Japanese tournament.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
Cobra Kai Season 6 announced as the final season. No date, no details, and a teaser trailer that's just footage from the previous seasons.

Personally, I like it when a series ends on it's own terms.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TheCenturion posted:

Cobra Kai Season 6 announced as the final season. No date, no details, and a teaser trailer that's just footage from the previous seasons.

Personally, I like it when a series ends on it's own terms.

Going beyond one more season seems like it's kind of pointless anyway. There's enough story left to wrap things up and then bow out at this point.

Isometric Bacon
Jul 24, 2004

Let's get naked!
At least they'll be ending the series on a high note, if it maintains the quality it has been.

I'm assuming it's a more of Netflix cost cutting move than anything else, it sounds like the creators would keep it going off they had their way.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

While I definitely enjoyed this season, I couldn't help but feel at times that the show had pretty much run its course. Seeing some of the previous enemies helping each other was wholesome and enjoyable. It would have been a good high note to end on.

With all that said, I have really enjoyed the whole show and am super supportive of everyone involved getting another payday out of it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

Going beyond one more season seems like it's kind of pointless anyway. There's enough story left to wrap things up and then bow out at this point.

Yeah, there really is only so many conflicts you can resolve strictly via karate fights.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It's time. I'm good with this. Put a bow on it, stick that landing, and we can all smile about this wonderful, ridiculous show forever.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, there really is only so many conflicts you can resolve strictly via karate fights.

Cobra Kai 7: Peace in the Middle East

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
I'm honestly just amazed that any show on Netflix is hitting a season 6. The AI controlling programing for Netflix is a fickle entity and never lets anything past 3 1 season survive.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
The first three seasons were produced for YouTube TV and the first two aired on it, so they don't count.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Yep. Netflix doesn't really do more than three seasons unless something is Stranger Things big.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Sure it's 6 seasons. But the seasons are ten 30-40 minute episodes. And outside a few big fights, it's all just dialog that probably takes a couple days to film.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Sockser posted:

Cobra Kai 7: Peace in the Middle East

Cobra Kai VIII: The Search for Spock

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Cobra Kai 9: Karate Vs Machete, In Space.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Cobra Kai 9: Karate Vs Machete, In Space.

Danny Trejo would be a fun addition

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

While I definitely enjoyed this season, I couldn't help but feel at times that the show had pretty much run its course. Seeing some of the previous enemies helping each other was wholesome and enjoyable. It would have been a good high note to end on.

With all that said, I have really enjoyed the whole show and am super supportive of everyone involved getting another payday out of it.

:same:

The last episode would have been a perfect finale, I can't see where else they can go with it anyway.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Astroman posted:

:same:

The last episode would have been a perfect finale, I can't see where else they can go with it anyway.

They spent so much of last season setting up that World Tournament the only logical place to go is to have Johnny, Daniel, and Chozen lead their unified dojo to victory against literally the whole world and show the whole world the power of Miyagi-Do, and finally put John Kreese and the Way of the Fist in a loving cement coffin, literally or figuratively, that's up to Kreese. If they're going one last season, they need to poo poo or get off the pot and either give Kreese his ultimate comeuppance, or finally give him redemption, again he can go either way still, but there needs to be a definitive "It's over" moment for him, like Daniel kicking Silver through the glass cobra. Johnny still needs his crane kick moment against Kreese.

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?
I'm calling Kreese getting redemption, getting the sympathy of the viewers, then having massive heart failure.

Goffer
Apr 4, 2007
"..."
Cameos from every other 80s karate / action movie as rival dojos in a world cup would be the ideal 👌

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
Everyone spends the rest of the year training for the next world championship.
The world championship is cancelled due to covid.
All the competitors go into lockdown and binge watch TV instead.
Kreese dies in obscurity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

Goffer posted:

Cameos from every other 80s karate / action movie as rival dojos in a world cup would be the ideal 👌

Johnny/Daniel loses against the rag tag kids who are on Dacascos’s team flipping around doing capoeira.

Or Eric Roberts’s /Philip rhee’s TKD team blows them out.