Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I get that goons are grumpy and cynical but isn't there a kernel of truth to it? That people that are more willing to step outside their comfort zone are less likely to be bigots? Innuendo studios had talked about how the alt right pipeline gets people this way - by radicalizing people already somewhat alienated and isolated by their own bigotry and fear and just amplifying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

loquacius posted:

yeah tbh the narrative that all societal ills are caused by individual habits and can be solved by changing everyone's individual habits en masse is a dangerously pointless and obtuse viewpoint IMO, especially when the individual habit in question is as financially inaccessible to most racists as "take a big long trip around the world, for like three months or some poo poo"
Except I wasn't just talking about travel, I was talking about stepping outside their comfort zone. Why do you think anti intellectualism goes hand in hand with far right ideology? The far right people I know don't give a gently caress about what happens outside their tiny circle, much less the opinions or experiences of people from outside that bubble.

How would you get a guy like the one in the cartoon to stop being a white supremacist? Didn't a group of college students manage to deradicalize some grand wizards son simply by inviting him to join them for Shabbat?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

loquacius posted:

Getting literal klan members to stop being white supremacists isn't a good use of time, no

You will note that your example involves a grand wizard's son, not the guy himself

Do you think Daryl Davis was wasting him time then?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How much did that middle schooler really care about there being BLM posters in her school when she gave some impassioned speech to the local PTA about it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
So is Karl Marx the kids' uncle or what

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
:gonk: That whole comments section is a septic tank of horny reactionaries.

It's funny how they have a million justifications on why it's okay to perv on underage girls but anybody a millimeter to the left of them is obviously some degenerate sicko.

Also, for all their talk of 'protecting their daughters' I seriously doubt they'd even believe their own daughters if something actually happened. They seem much more likely to victim blame than anything.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twelve by Pies posted:

I keep thinking about this Mr. Show sketch and I feel like it's basically exactly what would happen.

"Okay guys, I'm going to close this page of your comments on Chris' latest comic, and open this other web page full of pedophiles talking about being attracted to kids."

"Aw gross, that poo poo is sick, disgusting!"

"That's you!"

"ALRIGHT YEAH WOOO MAGA THOSE GIRLS ARE HOT."
:vince: lmao pretty dead on.

I seriously gotta wonder though, are there some people that simply don't have that mental block when it comes to people that are related to them? Like they are horny for their wife because of parts she has so any of those parts their daughters inherit gives these creeps the same response?

Would it work in the opposite? Like if they married an extremely homely looking woman would they be all horny for their homely looking daughters for the same reason? :ohdear:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Does this count as a political cartoon? There's a whole series of this woke scold girl coming in and drinking everyone's good time.

https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1291391867540705280?s=20

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The allegory seems to be that woke people will barge into a gaming community and ruin in by dumbing everything down and finding things 'problematic' where nothing really was. Yeah I know :thejoke: but I see this come up from time to time.

I have seen some people hand wringing about how problematic it is to have an entire race be lumped as unapologetically evil and I guess this is pushbsck from it. Media like Goblin Slayer is pretty divisive in that regard; some people find it offensive that goblins are seen as these mindless rapists while other people have no problem with it because it's all fiction. Some people in the replies had some more nuanced takes in terms of the fact that it's not necessarily 'wrong' to depict monsters this way, just boring and one dimensional.

I do find it funny that in this little series here the blue haired little harridan is somehow granted a bully pulpit to screech and dictate things for everyone else; if they are so sensible and logical why play with someone so insufferable? Wouldn't it have made a better point to show her playing the game 'her way' but ultimately alone in the end because nobody else is interested? Conservatives like this guy seem to imply these individuals have disproportionate power in spite of being so allegedly dumb and wrong. Yeah yeah Ur Fascism and such but it's really glaring in comics like this.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How much does this actually come up in RPGs for people though? The most generous take on 'all orcs are evil' or whatever is lazy writing because hashing out why some are or aren't evil takes effort and nuance. And realistically I assume a competent group of people is going to come up with a better narrative that goes beyond scorpion and frog allegories.

There's this theme in right wing comics that everything was working perfectly fine until some woke scold came along and stirred up a whole bunch of problems out of nothing. The guy that does these colorful pastel comics has a pretty formulaic pattern in many of them, essentially boiling down to calmhitler.txt it seems.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I still can't get past the idiocy of some scenario where someone joins in an existing community, demands a bunch of changes be made to disrupt the status quo, and magically has the clout to do this and drag everyone else down with them.

In reality it's typically the opposite, where closed knit groups are pretty good at chasing off anyone a little too outside their status quo. If their communities implode it was because of purity politics driving out existing members.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Some Guy TT posted:

why is there a wall in the middle of the ocean

that cartoon is in bad need of some labels

It's a reference to some :ohdear: article about how the US navy is spending so much time on diversity training that it has been affecting their readiness. Also some female skipper crashed a ship into something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twelve by Pies posted:

You see, she is a woman, so she said something stupid like women always do, which is why they should never be allowed in the military, or at least never be put in positions of authority.

It's dumber than that. It's about how 'diversity training' is actively taking away from military preparedness.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1277957542656737280?s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I had initially assumed the little kids were supposed to represent Hamas and the mom was Ben and Jerry's or whatever.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Deified Data posted:

I legit love this guy's style and it's hilarious when you realize he just has the opinions of a 65-year-old Fox News addict. You initially think he's gonna go for something edgier but then it's just something milquetoast like "democrats are the real racists" or something. His poo poo gets a lot funnier when you realize how few of his comics are meant to be funny, like I legit think he tries to go for genuine horror sometimes but it's based in the silliest boomer-brained anxieties
The guy also is working on a regular comic series too and I wonder if it's all edgelord political like these ones are.

He's obviously tapping into a very specific demographic and judging by his tweets he's not just doing them ironically.

Kitfox88 posted:

the first thing of theirs I saw was the Biden you ain’t black one and I wish it was the only one I’d seen cause it’s also the only decent one
The one with Biden as a litch sustaining his neliberal powers by sniffing the essence out of children was kind of funny, too. Also didnt know what the guy was about at that point as well.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Goddamn did he get rolled hard.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Should have drawn the taxpayer bent over while swiping the card down his asscrack. Covid made Been lose his edge.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
HONK HONK is gonna be the next "let's go Brandon" isn't it?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/RonPaulInstitut/status/1489063895918649344?t=AFJ6lPq2GiqR5ijgmYDALw&s=19

:psyduck:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Tom Smykowski posted:

Whys he always gotta draw one person gagging/screaming/eye-popping

So you know where the liberal is in the comic.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1272881063610798080?s=20&t=1HQGSOoZSmgVdsI6ab_zpA
:stonk:

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

What's the endgame here? Does anyone seriously think he'll ever concede someone bested him? Do artists really do stuff like this, like it's some rap battle or something?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1494007654590689280?t=GALIJSatvCeEV7zZJmovjw&s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
An edit but still funny
https://twitter.com/Frickn_Fish/status/1485355131898003456?t=ZBba-bxbsuITMMwFBS_0nA&s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1496481300714242051?t=kcSLYAPDjquJqvb6AArsrQ&s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twelve by Pies posted:

Pretty sure this is a reaction to Texas governor Greg Abbot deciding he's going to start cracking down on any health care providers that are supportive of trans kids. He's saying "This is what those people are actually doing to kids who are tricked into thinking they're trans and therefore it's good that they're being shut down."
That's what I initially thought, but it's something else. Apparently there was some school where the teacher had some kind of pillow fort or whatever set up and told the kids they could dress in whatever costumes they wanted inside. It was meant to give kids a chance to just be themselves (though I don't know if it's even explicitly a trans thing honestly, I'm sure plenty of cis kids enjoy dressing up in costumes) This got people on the right to start firing off accusations of grooming.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Where's the cum edit

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
How sincere is he in all of this?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/RenegadeWesty/status/1503960396411006976?t=mnXNuZ-FXBwuGAgP9-YA_A&s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Not to mention it's completely contrary to how conservatives are about the concept of 'fairness'.

:smug: "Trying to appeal to a standard accessible to everyone just dumbs things down for everyone else. If that PoC really wants to get hired they can bootstrap like the white applicant did. Only losers are going to play the race card. If they didn't get hired it's because they sucked, not because of racism. "

:qq: "This person has an advantage over the other competitors and is destroying the sport by making it impossible for cis women to win! We can't let that person compete!"

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twelve by Pies posted:

Oh wait. I know what this is about, because I am an idiot who exposes my brain to right wing media. Reka Gyorgy, who's a swimmer on Virginia Tech's swim team, wrote an open letter to the NCAA. Like Flesh Forge said, she came in 17th, so she didn't make it to the finals, so her letter was complaining that her rightful place in the finals was "stolen" by Lia Thomas.
Pretty clever gambit by a reactionary athlete that gets to ride on a wave of mediocrity by focusing the narrative on how she was denied her chance of victory. Without a trans swimmer present Reka would have been irrelevant but now she gets to center the issue on her without having to do anything differently.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Twelve by Pies posted:

My favorite part of her open letter is where she says "I know people will say that I should've just tried harder and swam better but this situation is totally different." It's like, there's 15 other cis women who swam better than her and made it to the finals, the situation is absolutely no different than if it had just been another cis woman.

She says that to get ahead of that statement and implore reactionaries to shut it down. That way when it gets brought up they'll reflexively say "it doesn't matter".

This also makes me wonder how many other fence sitters there are waiting to see which way the wind is blowing on this issue. Probably not all of them like TERFs and reactionaries want to believe, but some that might try to come off as moderate at the expense of Lia regardless.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

spacemang_spliff posted:

yeah and like transwomen are allowed in the olympics but for some reason they're not cleaning up the golds like you would expect if the culture warriors are right.

there was one trans weight lifter in 2020 and she didn't even finish her set and was disqualified, which again is the opposite result you would expect

also like I don't believe for a minute that the people most vocal about it give a poo poo about women's sports or actually watch any of it. how many culture warriors are taking time off of work to spend all day watching the women's ncaa basketball tourney
They'll just respond with "not yet but someday" to rationalize it. So if trans people aren't dominating sports now but we let them compete, then it's inevitable they'll push cis women out of these sports eventually.

And yeah I'm sure a lot of these culture war morons probably have a wholly opposite take when you talk about how it's unfair women's sports have to compete for viewership/revenue/etc. Look how they treated the women's world cup team for kneeling and wanting more pay. Back then they sure didn't care about the sanctity of women's sports.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
118 people responsible for 2,400 crimes does sound pretty serious though. So are they just fabricating this figure out of whole cloth?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1508835919557709824?t=utCcOWXMypFPGTZUlybjqQ&s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Guy is most definitely Not Mad people are lampooning him.
https://twitter.com/GPrime85/status/1508790523607371781?t=ozPHZv_X8J12yIkw1L1kbA&s=19

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Some Guy TT posted:

i see that alexopoulus is branching out into the stonetoss dominated field of infrequent funny sharable cartoons provided you know nothing about the political background of the person who made them

Note that he draws an Adam's apple with more detail than hands. That, the wig, and leaving the women's room for the men's restroom are some big giveaways of his attitude here

Panfilo has issued a correction as of 19:29 on Mar 29, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
It also indirectly implies cis women are filthy animals leaving heaps of feces all over the place unlike clean trans women.