Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'm not mad I got probated for shitposting in that thread because my post, in retrospect, didn't really contribute to the discussion, but that guy loving sucks and shouldn't be allowed to post here regardless of the age of his child concentration camps post.

Fsmhunk fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Apr 29, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
:gas:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I feel like SA moderation used to be better at permanently dissuading terrible / bad faith posters from doing their thing, through some combination of actually being willing to escalate to harsher punishments on the one hand, and different ideas about the goal of moderation (enforce the rules and nothing else vs. set a certain tone and culture for the subforum) on the other.

TG honestly seems to have suffered less than other subforums have since the sea change around ~2013 though, so at the very least I don't think beer is doing a particularly bad job.

I haven't been following the fash thread and have no strong opinions on that specific issue, but "ban literal self-admitted fascists even if they haven't broken a rule recently" sounds like a good idea.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I feel like SA moderation used to be better at permanently dissuading terrible / bad faith posters from doing their thing, through some combination of actually being willing to escalate to harsher punishments on the one hand, and different ideas about the goal of moderation (enforce the rules and nothing else vs. set a certain tone and culture for the subforum) on the other.

TG honestly seems to have suffered less than other subforums have since the sea change around ~2013 though, so at the very least I don't think beer is doing a particularly bad job.

I haven't been following the fash thread and have no strong opinions on that specific issue, but "ban literal self-admitted fascists even if they haven't broken a rule recently" sounds like a good idea.

Nah dude, It used to be way worse with the bad faith stuff. I barely see it these days, it used to be the norm.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

One of my favorite things from the Winson Paine era was the mod challenge, where lovely posters would either perform an educational challenge / community service or eat a ban.

I imagine he'd assign something like a 2000 word essay on how jailing children violates human rights, or why it's unethical to make 3-year old babies defend themselves in immigration court.

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat
That's extremely my poo poo.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
What about a comprimise solution. A 2000 word essay on why jailing kids is a violation of human rights, then banning anyway?

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Oh come on, that post was amazing, why remove it?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

richyp posted:

What about a comprimise solution. A 2000 word essay on why jailing kids is a violation of human rights, then banning anyway?

Now we’re cooking with gas.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
I think given what Beer has to work within, telling fash that if they continue to post in that thread they'll eat a ban is a pretty good solution personally.

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Asmodai_00 posted:

Oh come on, that post was amazing, why remove it?

Not done. I posted it to early. I want to sort this out properly, without missing important parts.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
Hi. I think the probations in the other thread were extremely dodgy and in poor taste, and that you should ban the concentration camp superfan. If you don't want to, then perhaps you should step down and ask them to find a replacement who is willing to remove bad posters instead of asking them to debate you in your PMs.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Seldom Posts posted:

I think what BMS is trying to get at is that since his pro-concentration camp post, Aba has had a swastika avatar, and has been called a fascist when he shows up. He's never changed the avatar, nor has he denied that he has fascist politics. So, he probably is a fascist.

Someone gave me the avatar, I really liked my old one and wouldn't mind having it back (I hope I still have it saved somewhere). However, I believe some people on here would change it back almost immediately so why bother?
I was banned (along with others who where timed out) during that post, talking it over with the mod at the time, agreed with them that it was off topic and moved on. This is part of the reason I haven't addressed it.

Hey, if Lovely Joe Stalin, BIG MEATY SHITS, Booley and the others want to hate me that's their thing. They want to misrepresent me... they are wrong, but that's their thing. They can mute me, they can nitpick everything I say, great. If I met them in person I would give them the benefit of the doubt and play a game with them if they let me. If they want to gently caress up other threads I'll let the mods handle that.
You know... YOU KNOW these people aren't going to listen. They are obviously saying poo poo in bad faith. So why should I listen to them?

quote:

It's not a good solution, but likening them to concentration camps is jumping the shark. At least call it what it is: jailing I don't agree with. Unless you can post some info that says the living conditions of these people are subhuman or they are being detained for no reason (even if you don't agree with being arrested for illegal entry, doesn't mean it isn't a reason).
Ironically the fact that children are separated from their children isn't even a Trump thing. It's just he is enforcing it with zero tolerance, meaning that parents are being prosecuted for crimes. This unfortunately was legislated to mean separation of child and parent.
I stand by everything I say here, even if it could have been made more clear. I do not think they are close to concentration camps. In addressing the second point, I believe it was Beer that posted a study of some of the horrible conditions in these locations.
The way the law is written the parents are considered criminals and current laws state that you separate children from that sort of situation. This makes sense during actual criminal complaints or human trafficking charges. It is also traumatic and horrible for the kids. This has always been the case even when Obama was in office despite him ruminating on it (in which he apparently had a half hearted attempt at addressing this or was stonewalled).
Between Trumps zero tolerance, judges either enforcing it per the books or not having the time in the day to determine what is the right course on a case-by-case basis, and congress seemly not willing to change the laws or fund additional resources so judges can process these cases quicker... it's bad.
Note words like "not good" and "unfortunate". Maybe if someone pointed out where I said I support sending children to literal concentration camps?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Quick, spring the trap and ban him for posting about politics again. Youll never get a better chance

jakodee
Mar 4, 2019

Control Volume posted:

Quick, spring the trap and ban him for posting about politics again. Youll never get a better chance

If BeerGod doesn't ban him for this I'm going to have to double the length of what is already turning out to be a short essay.

I'm not kidding. He has already repeatedly and expressly said the same fascist poo poo several times and here he is reiterating it and making it clear he neither apologizes nor thinks he did anything wrong. It was bannable the first time, and he keeps doing it, so why not permaban him now?

BIG MEATY SHITS
Mar 13, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Soiled Meat

LordAba posted:

In addressing the second point, I believe it was Beer that posted a study of some of the horrible conditions in these locations.

Hey so he did:

Beer when you said "gently caress off. Forever" did you really mean "gently caress off. Forever. Unless I become a mod and actually have the ability to ban you in which case I'll just probe everyone asking me to ban you instead."?

DiHK
Feb 4, 2013

by Azathoth

LordAba posted:

The way the law is written the parents are considered criminals and current laws state that you separate children from that sort of situation.

Here's the thing bud, that is a violation of those immigrants civil rights as they are asylum seekers. You don't get to hide behind the guise of written law when that law is immoral. That's what makes you a fascist. Changing laws/guidelines like that makes McConnell a fash too.

And that's just the parents, right? That's not even considering the damage to the children. If you think it's even remotely excusable to do that to children, or any one for that mater, then you are the trashiest of trash people.

Now gently caress off, forever.

(Beer, you're great and I understand the dilemma you're facing. Good luck.)

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

BIG MEATY SHITS posted:

Hey so he did:

Beer when you said "gently caress off. Forever" did you really mean "gently caress off. Forever. Unless I become a mod and actually have the ability to ban you in which case I'll just probe everyone asking me to ban you instead."?

Your response to this doubling down on children in concentration camps really says a lot about the community you want here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Thank you everyone for your input.