Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
That next patch is coming out Monday, btw.

I only really picked this up recently but it's already really clicking for me even while I'm still doing the campaign. there are certainly some EA rough edges, missing bits, and the longshot possibility of them finding a way to blow it all up at 1.0 like Wolcen did or just implement MP and trade in a way that breaks the gameplay loop they have going.

I'm not going to turn this into a Bitter At My Ex rant (there are enough of those on the Reddit sub, good god, and I remember being turned off trying PoE for years because people talking about it were so Gamer Aggressive about Diablo 3), but I'm loving stuff like deterministic crafting materials (plus being able to extract them from items), the QoL improvements they aren't afraid to include, actually documenting the typical sprawling web of game mechanics inside the game, and genuinely decent controller support (which is apparently going to be improved in the patch somehow?). Looking good, EHG, looking Good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.
I'm pretty sure you can't currently craft over affixes, but you can use a rune to remove bad ones (but it's random which one is removed so you run the risk of erasing one of the ones you wanted to keep).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I had a lot of free time this weekend so I figured I'd pick up the mostly self-built Dancing Strikes Bladedancer I left in chapter 4 and try the new stuff in the update - and it grabbed hold of me: the like 10-20ish hours it took to hit the current end of the campaign and start into monoliths felt like an eyeblink.

The new act was notable improvement in visuals/audio/design over the previous ones, and a blast when I finally got to it with a lot of fun fights (and the cocky voice barks from the Nagasa monsters that frequently get interrupted by their despairing death barks unironically helped sell the experience), but honestly I am REALLY enjoying monoliths so far too, even though I didn't get the sword I wanted first time through The Stolen Lance (Argentus dropped the relic instead, but the fight was fun and I'm looking forward to trying it again).

Maybe they just haven't had time to get tedious yet but the varying map objectives, varied monster powers and how they interact with their affixes, plus needing several active skills and in general the situations being slow enough to react to, means that the gameplay feels (for the moment, anyway) interestingly different from moment to moment and mono to mono, which spurred me on long enough to get That One Drop that kicked a build that was slowly coming together into overdrive (but I didn't even look at it and realise what I had until after I failed the map it dropped on because the two rare Siege Golems spawned too close together and I couldn't evade all the flamethrowers and explosions).

Follow the bouncing ball: Ward Trail gives me ward when I dodge. I also have gear that gear that grants more ward when I create a shadow, and I've taken a lot of passives that create shadows when I shift or use Lethal Mirage (and there's actually one more I could take that makes Smoke Bomb create shadows). Plus idols that grant ward when I use Smoke Bomb or shift. Plus health on glancing blow from gear and the tree, and of course Bladedancer has a really easy time getting increased dodge/glancing blow percentages so all the flat dodge I crafted onto gear has had quite the effect.

I decided to run one more mono before bed, and the objective came up as "survive 12 arena waves": normally surprisingly chill but something about one of the waves (probably the multiple Diamond Matrons? I couldn't pause the game to read their affixes but I think Twinning or Reinforcements or Summoning was involved) turned it into a massive mess with a screen full of enemies, enough that all the misses were spiking my ward into the stratosphere and keeping my health high but I still couldn't relax because of all the poo poo the rares were doing that I had to try and react/avoid and find openings to counterattack - it was all done in five minutes but it was an intense experience and, like explosivo is saying, incredibly satisfying to see a build come together so dramatically.

And I still have goals for it! Getting the Shattered Lance, then working through the rest of the monoliths while I try and shore up its resistances (aside from big telegraphed boss moves when I slip up, poison/DoTs feel like this character's biggest weakness), but they all seem achievable and getting there already feels like it'll be a lot of fun -even ignoring everything else that's supposed to be added to the game later in EA.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Today's update was about the crafting rework going live in two weeks and I'm really impressed by it - admittedly I was pretty happy with crafting already but by changing where the randomness is and what you can do with it, it really looks like an improvement in terms of how crafting feels to our broken human brains while still not making Absolutely Perfect Items actually easy to get.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The coolest thing about the new system is that so much more is useful, even. I have my loot filter set to show like T10+ items even for affixed I don't actually want so I have a decent collection of shards I'm not likely to use on a given character, but now with Chaos glyphs they all mean chances to reroll that affix and JUST that affix on items that would otherwise be useful - so even stuff you don't want can lead towards stuff you do want on a path that, while still needing luck, doesn't seem unattainable.

I'm playing POE this league for the first time in two years and it's mostly reminding me how much I wish this game had multiplayer and trade (mostly because I want chars I spend time on to at least have the OPTION for them, and current characters won't since they're locally stored) so I could jump wholeheartedly on this train, but I'm glad they're taking their time to get it right. Trade in particular always has the potential to undermine a loot system if done incorrectly.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Nov 30, 2021

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think there should be a lot of ways to make a bleed/poison marksman Rogue work: a lot of the support in the class in general is for those two DoT types (which was fun while trying to build a bladedancer that didn't use them or the fire conversion that a lot of Rogue melee skills use).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

SynthesisAlpha posted:

The issue with ailment dots is they don't scale with your weapon damage or attributes. All you get is their base flat damage to work with. No idea if any skills change that mechanism, though!

The One Weird Trick here is that they DO scale with additional chance, though - as in each 100 percent extra chance to apply Ailment X is essentially 100 percent extra Ailment X effect, because of the way ailment application works.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Pretty sure you're right about the elemental leech aspect. Maybe the leech rate and allres on those gloves would still make them good to level with even if you aren't benefiting from the specific elemental leech (plus, aren't they a guaranteed quest reward?), which might be why they're recommended in your guide.

The thing with ward is that if you aren't speccing into retention OR just flat-out overpowering the decay by just constantly getting more added then it isn't great, but if you are then it can be! I kinda lucked into ward as a defense layer on my Bladedancer but I think other classes have a lot more support for it built in.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

Wait you can go into the monolith before finishing the campaign?

You can go into monoliths as soon as you reach the End of Time area in chapter 4, you just aren't directed to (and you'll probably get shredded if you try before like level 50 or so).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I mean yeah the Bazaar as presently imagined COULD exist without multiplayer since the game still needs you to be connected, but without server-authoritative characters/inventory it would be very, very breakable.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bonus: once you create that filter it ALSO applies to anything you drop from your inventory or stash, so if you can't bear the thought of maybe throwing away something worthwhile (but CAN bear all the clicks to throw them out one by one) then you'll know right away!

edit: yeah you can search for affix names in the stash, but if you have a lot of desirable idol affixes then that's ALSO a pain and the filter is right there!

zoux posted:

The build planner that everyone uses can auto generate loot filters but I dunno how good they are. They are fast!

As I understand it, those auto-filters aren't great since they are built based very specifically on the items equipped in the planner rather than a broader concept of what might be best for the build - but that might have changed since I last looked at them, the dude behind that site is great about feedback.

quote:

I have a level 53 shadowdancer that melts everything, I just rolled the first monolith no problem, is there a reason to continue the quest line (other than the gripping, compelling narrative of course)

If you're talking about the campaign - idol slots and passive points maybe? Though IIRC there's a cap on how many of those you can get through quests and actually more available in the campaign than you can use, so you don't actually have to complete the campaign for any reason unless you want to?

Otherwise, obviously the monolith quest lines breadcrumb you through the monoliths as they unlock and lead you to the best ones for loot etc.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jan 10, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

my understanding is that res over 75% only protects from shred, not penetration

Yes, and shred is rare enough (well, except poison shred) that there isn't MUCH reason to gear over 75% resistance, especially since the "lose resistances as you level up" penalty is done via increasing penetration rather than the flat penalty on difficulty level/advancement through the campaign.

Captain Foo posted:

damage resistances go back as far as Diablo itself, and probably before that

not saying it's an unfixable problem, but the concept is really part of the genre

I'm happy that LE has kinda de-emphasized resists through their changes to the damage formula: 75% res means you're not taking extra damage at endgame because you've made up for the innate penetration, but even if you somehow go in with 0 res, you're taking 1.75x damage compared to someone capped at endgame, rather than the 4x damage you would be in other games.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Vulpes posted:

It's true, yes. When you remove a point from a skill you don't get that point back to spend, you have to earn it again. It's really not a big deal in practice though.

Part of why it isn't a big deal is because you gain skill XP at an accelerated rate up to a certain point based on your level, in addition to the minimum skill level. I dropped a level 19 skill last week to try and insert triggered Umbral Blades into my Bladedancer build, the new skill started at level 10, and I had it back at 19 within like five or ten hours I think? It felt quick anyway.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Dr_Gee posted:

five to ten hours

i get that 10-15 probably happened within the first hour or two given the (steep) scaling for XP. still, that's a long goddamn time.

Honestly I hesitated to give a specific time because I don't remember how long I played last weekend! Steam tells me I've played 14h in the past couple of weeks so that's the guess I gave. But it felt way quicker than I expected it to (granted I'd just finished relevelling a skill in PoE before I hit the wall in that league so my expectations were pessimistic).

I don't remember how GD does respecs - it's basically just gold cost without time cost, right? I guess there couldn't be a time cost since there's no individual skill levelling, just allocating points you get from your character level.

quote:

along those lines, have the devs mentioned anything about save game editors/mods/etc? being able to edit poo poo like skill levels for offline / "open online" characters (kinda like D2's setup) would be stellar

Offline saves are just straight JSONs so whipping up an editor should be easy (or already done, I haven't looked). I don't think they're planning on an open online mode but I haven't seen them answer that specific question so we'll see I guess.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I never quite understood the point of the Epoch's Call/Memorium Gates systems besides the names (which were admittedly cool), so the one regret I have about that blog is that I wish they'd stuck to their guns on the Bazaar - from what they'd released about it, it wasn't a very good trading system in terms of actually enabling trade (because it makes item discovery a nightmare) but it was a very good trading system in terms of being an adjunct to killing things for loot rather than shortcutting/replacing it (because the actual purchase process would have been very unobtrusive - all the friction would have been on the discovery end, and nobody having access to the entire playerbase's discards at once means that you don't have to choose between tolerable drop rates and blowing up the economy).

I think they'll struggle to find a replacement that fits their stated goals but tbf they haven't had many misses so far so let's see what they come up with.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Bumping this because one of the PoE thread regulars who works as a tech artist at EHG had some stuff to say that might be of interest to those of you who don't read that thread:

Elentor posted:

I am. I recently got a very very nice promotion, too. EHG has been by far the best company I've worked at, and bar none the healthiest gamedev environment I've been part of. The gap between ehg and whatever would be second place in my resume is so large I can't even bother making the comparison.

I'm working very hard towards improving the performance, co-managing the mtx store and the performance group. Also, our mtx store will be 100% cosmetic, no in game advantages even as tame as tabs. Not to dis on Poe, we just want them to be completely optional.

(...)

I'm not gonna lie, as far as the performance issues of the game go, there's a big battle ahead of us. While I'm not responsible for anything that slowed down the game, I am responsible for fixing it, so if anyone knows of anything game breaking or PC melting in particular feel free to dm me. The scene I fixed first was told me about it's slowness by a goon; ruins of welryn, is sitting on a peak 150% performance increase, from 60 to 150 fps now.

Elentor posted:

Not sure what you mean but I'm not involved with Mp. Ever since I joined in Mar the teams priority has been multiplayer and a lot of people were hired for that purpose. Me as a techart and the performance team i put together is an exception but only I don't deal with Mp directly.

I wish I could tell more without breaking nda but we've had multiple waves of tests for f n f, then alpha, and at some point in the future beta. Multiplayer tests occur very frequently almost on a daily and some of our testers are big names and netcode developers with experience in, let's say, games of the same genre we both happen to enjoy. Like I said we have a very good relation with GGG also.

Anyone not working on mp right now isn't because it's outside the scope of their skills or field and that's been the case for as long as I am in the company.Grtting multiplayer right isn't easy and there's s lot of effort on netcode, bug fixes, bandwidth, anti hack measures. I don't know when it will be ready but there's no lack of resources and effort put into it.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Cinara posted:

The problem with this is I think POE at the endgame is way too fast, there's a reason the combat in POE is a shitshow where you don't really fight anything because if it lives longer than 5 seconds you might just randomly explode. So while yea the early game in LE could maybe be a bit faster, you have to be careful with speed scaling.

On one hand I'm pretty sure that avoiding POE's speed meta is an explicit design goal.

edit: yeah, this is what I remembered reading:

quote:

Faster clear speed is often what players in these types of games strive for - I don't see that being any different in Last Epoch. If we see a skill that can go from screen to screen in a split second destroying everything in an area that is supposed to be challenging it's safe to assume that we'll combat that build in some way.

(...)

I will not let our game become movement skill > screenwide kill > movement skill > screenwide kill, repeat. If you notice that happening in the future, copy and paste this comment to me and I will ensure it gets fixed. ;)

On the other hand, I suspect PoE wanted to avoid this themselves at the beginning, so who knows?

Really as long as it stays in that niche between base Grim Dawn and current PoE I'll be happy

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Aug 7, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Overcapping helps against shred (which is pretty rare in my experience except for poison because of the weird way poison shred works) and the direct lightning res penalty from shock stacks, but not penetration. I think penetration is capped at 75% anyway though? At least I can't remember offhand any sources of monster res penetration besides the zone level (so basically the difficulty/campaign based res penalty from other games).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 1, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Dallan Invictus posted:

I think they'll struggle to find a replacement (for the Bazaar) that fits their stated goals but tbf they haven't had many misses so far so let's see what they come up with.

looks like I was right, alas

I'm honestly not that bothered because between loot dropping identified, powerful filters, and the crafting system it's a lot easier to get actually useful gear from killing things than in other games that actually depend on having An Economy.

Would it be nice to put items aside for my friends when we can't play together, sure, but much like D3, maybe if the drops don't suck it wouldn't actually be a) missed or b) worth letting players turn it into An Economy anyway, or making special dev effort to stop them that could be devoted towards something more fun?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Dec 18, 2022

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I think they genuinely could break crafting out into its own faction if they wanted, which is one of the cool parts of the new system.

Another is bringing back the Bazaar, because asynchronous sales/purchases are legit a must have for me.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

How popular was the standalone client though, back when it was an option?

Still I agree there's no way they expected this many players and no wonder some strange new bugs have emerged. I've been theorycrafting my Spellblade build in between sessions so it's easy to be patient.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Saxophone posted:

This game owns and it’s got its hook in me hard. I think the only other thing I can think of that I desperately want is adventure mode.

Story is fine, but I’d prefer a way to level via monoliths once I’ve done the story once. Other than that? A+

Good news!

You don't even need to complete the whole story once to access Monoliths (you just need to get to the zone where you select your Mastery class in Chapter 4). I've never tried one at that point and you might have a hard time doing one ~level 30 when you get there but you absolutely can.

There are also more idol slots and passive points available from the campaign quest rewards than you can actually use, and it shows you on the map screen when you're capped, so you can pick and choose sidequests and bail on the campaign whenever you feel like it.

Also! Dungeon campaign skip refers to the fact that you can use the Temporal Sanctum dungeon which you can access in Chapter 5, to skip all the way to Chapter 9 (since those two acts are set in the same place in different eras, and the dungeon entrance is in one era while the exit is in the other). Granted, actually beating the level 55 mobs in the dungeon at ~L35-40 is similarly tricky but if your build is up to it (or you have spare gear for an alt found by a higher level character) then why not?

I usually hate time travel plotlines in fiction but I gotta admit this one is really convenient.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Mar 12, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Ither posted:

Are the characters genderlocked?

unfortunately yes, and this was initially a dealbreaker for me too BUT if you can get past it like I did this is still very worth playing

(which recent non-Diablo ARPGs are this not the case for? I guess Wolcen doesn't have classes to gender lock at all, Grim Dawn if that's still recent, any others I'm missing?)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I suspect that granting cross-class active skills isn't likely to be a thing while the hotbar is as cramped as it is, but cross-class TRIGGERED skills is something LE's unique roster could perhaps use more of (I think it has a few though?)

Thing is that an extra skill that you can't spec into/your class doesn't support with passives is only likely to be any use in weird edge cases. OTOH finding those edge cases can be fun!

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Mar 16, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Generally monsters seem do damage typed in line with their colour scheme or the effects around them, but the most definitive way to tell is probably the death screen summary.

I don't think there are many multiplicative affixes though? Affixes I've seen are mostly either "added to the base" or "additive bonus"", multiplicative bonuses are mostly in the skill and passive trees?

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 16:56 on Mar 21, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Benson Cunningham posted:

Real talk, Wolcen is better than diablo 4. Pretty much on par with Last Epoch for me at the moment.

That is...one hell of a turnaround from the state it launched in. I actually enjoyed D4 this weekend but I'd love to hear what you like about current Wolcen (they launched a major update last week, right? What changed?).

The Wolcen thread could probably use a bump so if you feel like responding there is as good as here.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Memnaelar posted:

Is there ANY sense of when they're going to finish the story portion of the campaign? I realize it's only mediocre in the first place but some part of me would really like it to be completed before I turn to endgame grinding.

tbf you've presumably time travelled to after your character completed it so..

(no current news that I'm aware of: probably before 1.0, whenever that is)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I rolled a Spellblade for this patch with the obvious Firebrand into Flame Reave interaction (build up scaling buffs with Firebrand into a big boom with Flame Reave), except then I decided on a that-sounds-cool whim to convert everything to Lightning with the skill tree options and lean into triggered spark charges/lightning blasts, and the entirely non-optimal but Fun As Hell Harbinger of Stars unique belt (new this patch) that has a chance of triggering Meteor on crits.

The meteors murder my mana but Fragment of the Enigma gives Firebrand and its spark charges/explosions enough of a punch to kill most packs before I need anything that actually costs mana anyway, being constantly surrounded by explosions owns, and between my ward generation/gear/passives and 100% crit avoidance I've been able to facetank some utterly surprising things, though I haven't gotten to empowered monoliths yet. (Emperor of Corpses was way easier once I realized that the only mechanic I actually had to worry about was the poison pools, everything else barely tickled).

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 2, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm gonna try going Shadow cause that looks fun, but it seems like there's easy respecs.

Not Diablo 3 easy since they cost gold (for passives) and time (for skills, since you can only add levels in a skill for free up to a minimum skill level that's determined by your character's level, and after that you have to earn the XP again though at an accelerated rate).

So you'll want to be careful about switching your skills, particularly your main damage skill when, say, you unlock a new one, but (if you're not spending all your gold on shatter runes or stash tabs) changing passives is pretty cheap at most points in the game.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Sorting the chart on https://lastepoch.tunklab.com/affixes by "reroll chance (rarity)" will likely give a general idea, but of the rare affixes there (crit avoidance is not really THAT rare but is definitely always useful) not many are universally useful besides Hybrid Health. My callout filter also includes X Penetration, Increased Leech Rate, the shield-only affix for All Resistances, the belt only affixes for Extra Potion Slot/Potion Health and Ward/Ailment Cleansing on Potion Use, and Hybrid Stun Avoidance, but the last 3 of those are difficult to call "universally valuable".

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

CubicalSucrose posted:

And it's giving me a ton of red "Tier 4 for shattering" items, more than I'd be able to sustainably shatter, I think. Should I be aggressively shattering them? Most of the affixes don't seem all that useful to me, but I've been hoarding them just in case.

Yeah the shatter rule on that filter is really generous compared to how many runes you get, and as you run higher level content basically everything will start passing it. I would absolutely dump some of the stuff you've been keeping ( items dropped from the stash/your inventory are checked against the filter too, so it's easy enough to just edit your filter to be narrower, dump your stash on the ground, then pick up whatever passes the new filter).

Don't be tempted to vendor it, the amounts you get are very not worth it above like level 40 compared to spending the time running a monolith.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Set/Unique X echo rewards can spawn in both regular and empowered monoliths, so if you want to keep farming Stolen Lance to target that item you can just keep going after those echos there. Resetting the web using Shade of Orobyss fights might help but doesn't seem to be absolutely necessary?

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

awesmoe posted:

IME (which is obviously super limited) you only get one type of set/legendary type per like monolith instance I guess I'd call it? Like the first time I went in to the stolen lance I saw four "Unique or Set Staff or Sceptre" echos and no other unique types - was that just a coincidence?

Each of the monoliths has a different set of item types that it will roll Unique or Set X echo rewards for - they're listed here. Stolen Lance can have any of Staff, Sceptre, Catalyst, or Wand.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

I THINK it's just random per echo but I haven't seen anything that would confirm it one way or the other. I'm actually going to run some Stolen Lance tonight so if I see more than one type per reset I'll edit it in here.

edit: yeah, it seems like it's just per echo:

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 10, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Similarly you can try and roll the dice on a rune of removal, if you have a situation where you have 2 or more affixes you want gone that's a 50-50 shot of winning, and even if you lose (remove an affix you wanted to keep) you get the shards back to try to apply on something else.

The trick with crafting in this game is getting to know what makes a good project. In my experience a good rule of thumb is "drops with at least two affixes you want, at a reasonable level for the content you're doing, with enough potential to let you complete whatever fiddling you want to do to improve it", and I've designed my filter accordingly.

(rares or exalts drop with more potential than magics but they have fewer open affixes so if they don't drop good then it takes more work to fix).

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Lagon, D3 Belial, POE Kitava, every fight where you're stuck on a ledge fighting something gigantic and immobile with an iffy hitbox, a huge HP pool to grind through using that hitbox, and constant oneshots you have to dodge along that tiny ledge is the same and they can all go to hell.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Apr 10, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The Locator posted:

I'm bashing my way toward empowered, level 77 and just started on the level 85 monolith. I skipped over the level 80 one, not sure if I need to do that or not. I remember someone saying you don't need to do them all to get to empowered, just not sure which ones were skippable!

To unlock empowered you just need to complete all three of the level 90 monoliths, which all unlock after you complete the 85 monolith (Reign of Dragons) once, so all you have to do is finish the one you're on and then run the three that unlock.

For everyone else, because of the way the timelines connect, the fastest way to reach Empowered is thus:

• In Fall of the Outcasts (58), after killing the boss choose whichever option unlocks the level 66 timeline instead of the 62.
  • In Ending the Storm (75), in the second quest echo choose to fight Liath, which unlocks the 85 timeline instead of the 80 once you kill Lagon.

Because we live in the darkest timeline this doesn't seem to have been written down in a straightforward way anywhere, but it skips Stolen Lance (62), Blood, Frost, and Death (70), and Fall of the Empire (80), and once you unlock Empowered monoliths you can choose the other paths in the above two choices to unlock the skipped monoliths, and you'll still be able to run them in Empowered mode without having completed them normally.

Dallan Invictus fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 10, 2023

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

No reasonable boost to LP rates is going to make "various LP versions of an item you're interested in" drop as frequently as Temporal Sanctum keys do, is the main difference I think. Free/easier legendary rerolls is a far faster path to good legendaries than "just make LP more common".

Anyway, I think there's a bit of a disconnect because this game seems to be targeting the very wide space between D3's progression speed and, say, PoE's progression speed - so there'll be a fair number of people playing it who, yes, genuinely do think that would be too easy.

(it's me, I'm people)

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Jack Trades posted:

What are those?

I've never seed red items before.

EDIT: And why does the number go down?

It's a new thing from the most recent patch: basically a new twist on Legendary Potential. Instead of running Temporal Sanctum to merge X out of 4 affixes from an exalted item onto a unique to make a red Legendary, items with X Weaver's Will will gain X tiers of up to 4 random affixes as you kill monsters while wearing them - so X goes down because it represents how many tiers can still get added onto the item.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

Yeah that's very much been the main one for me, nothing new and not much info and too many other games to play so it's fallen off the radar

which is Fine