Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

tbh I've been holding off on playing the game because it runs like absolute rear end on my 2022 gaming laptop with a 3060-equivalent so it doesn't seem too promising that they fired the person who was working across teams to fix that problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m doing it. I’m imagining it!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

#7,000 in queue lol

If Online mode doesn't add any special gameplay things I'll probably just stick to Offline.

Edit: Oh the devs said the queue is broken

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kinda disappointed the game still can’t maintain higher than 50-70 FPS on Medium on my laptop with a 6700S but at least it still feels smooth. Not sure how it’s going to do past the starter areas, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Adolf Glitter posted:

Is everyone just wanting to play multiplayer? It plays to be an antisocial weirdo this time as single player is working fine (as well as it should really)

Last night I made an offline character and then when I went back in to play it it was gone

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok yeah this game seems to accomplish the impossible of making build/gear optimization actually fun and approachable for a normie without also seeming over-simplistic. Well done.

I wish I could auto-pickup crafting supplies and set the NPC dialogue to autocomplete instead of having to wait for it to scroll through

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ihmemies posted:

I wish the game had DLSS. The game muders my 3080 at 4K, I don't need 8 million pixels drawn 120 times a second in an ARPG.. less would do :v: I mean the GPU produces a whopping 350W of waste heat while rendering a meh looking game. I wish their tech stack wasn't ancient as poo poo so they could implement DLSS easier without years of grueling refactoring.

Yeah I just don’t know why it’s so resource heavy despite not looking all that fancy, especially at lower graphics settings. I can only hope they have another huge optimization pass they’ll do before 1.0.

At least it’s pretty smooth and playable at 50 FPS and doesn’t seem to dip much below that on my main ARPG machine.

Also I’m totally mad that the damage screen doesn’t show you how much elemental damage your equipment/skills grant you like in PoE. It shows you what the % boost is, but not whether you’re doing elemental damage in the first place.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:20 on Mar 13, 2023

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Big Mad Drongo posted:

As someone on the edge of pulling the trigger, how different do the builds/classes feel? The reason I put up with PoE's complexity is, to just use examples of popular builds from the last season, using Summon Raging Skulls feel different from using Explosive Arrow Totems feels different from using Seismic Traps feels different from using Spark. Even one-button builds manage to have different playstyles in terms of some make you stand your ground, some offer incredible mobility, some have you aim at the space before the mobs, some really want you to be in a tight corridor, etc. And then you have absolutely buckwild piano builds for when you're in the mood, like slams.

Does Last Epoch manage something like this, or is it just choosing the color of your screenwide explosion? I rarely optimize builds but I love having lots of weird builds to experiment with.

It feels a lot like what you get with PoE, just with a lot fewer skills to work with. The game also somewhat replicate's PoE's skill modifiers with trees for each skill, so you can have your bone dagger projectile thing act like a DoT-triggering shotgun blast if you develop it one way or have it damage your minions and then get bonuses triggered off of minion deaths if you develop it the other way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a way to change what ring I'm comparing? It only ever shows me one.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kalman posted:

Not yet, but it’s planned to show both eventually.

Ok I thought it was a little crazy for not seeing it. In the meantime I can just unequip the one I don’t want to look at.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/rising-flames-update-beta-0-9-1-patch-notes/58988/2

Pretty big update. I'm glad they're reworking Chapter 1; it's pretty dull as it is.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

PoE doesn't boot you out for idling. 10 minutes is pretty harsh.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The main campaign should not be a stretch goal for 1.0.

It felt like they went into quasi-radio silence after the multiplayer release so I figured they were running into production issues and looking at having to release just to keep the lights on. I hope they turn it around.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tarnop posted:

The trick is to do what D4 did and finish your final act, leaving the obviously half-arsed stuff in the middle. As long as "Chapter 10" and "Chapter 11" pop up on the screen just after you fight a boss, most people won't notice. Especially if at that point you're just thinking let me kill the main bad guy

They’ll patch Diablo in eventually

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sab669 posted:

Sounds more like engineers just being pedantic lol.

Call it whatever you want, at the end of the day it's a dealbreaker.

Yeah they really need to not rebut things people find unpleasant this way. Nobody cares what the technical difficulty is, nor should they.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

If the Diablo 4 season had turned out good I would’ve said Last Epoch was releasing at a poor time but Diablo is in such sorry condition they might’ve gotten really lucky with the timing

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Sounds more like a disagreement with the importance of animation feedback than a lack of understanding?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s an awful concept and somehow it’s like catnip for writers who think they’ve got what it takes to do it well

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

haven't watched the video, can you collect little hoods for your falcon

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

WarEternal posted:

D4 has no loot filter and yet the loot system is designed in such a way that navigating it without one is a nightmare. Not having one in D3 does not feel remotely as bad. You literally have to sift through every loving thing you pick up in D4, it's dumb as poo poo. The design of D4 was not thought out.

You can’t even leave undesirable legendaries on the ground because they show up in your stash automatically lol

Tonetta posted:

they now do this thing where they now mulch all the gear tiered lower than your highest tier drop possible into gold

This is implemented haphazardly/incompletely. Vaults will happily show you blue and sacred gear when you’re up to ancestral.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Feb 17, 2024

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

iirc the reasoning has to do with eliminating asset load times when players change their equipment. A lot of the gnarly engine stuff in Diablo 4 probably has to do with the fact the game has to run on base PS4s with full cross play

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Noper Q posted:

Much of game design about making trade-offs.

The D4 devs decided that it was important that there be no interruption if you see another player change their equipment, a thing that is going to occur very rarely, sometimes not at all for some players.

The trade-off is incredibly limited inventory space, a thing that is going to affect every single player who gets to endgame.

This is laughable.

I figure it has to be something like “if we don’t do this PS4/XB1 players get a multi-second lag spike when it does happen”

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Yeah I dunno. There’s obviously a lot of quick and easy decisions they made regardless of the long term consequences.

PoE has its own performance issues with cosmetics though that game loads everything up-front.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Benson Cunningham posted:

Here is my bold prediction: The game is going to be unplayable online because the servers are going to get crushed. By some point on the 22nd it will be stable enough to play.

This seems extremely likely. Even if they’ve figured out their online issues since beta, they certainly haven’t tested anything.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Ok just make “don’t play before it releases” the thread title or something this is getting silly

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Lucky Hit (10% Chance): 3% Chance to Increase Physical Damage by 1.7% against Healthy Enemies

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

phosdex posted:

Fully offline mode requires restarting to swap between modes.

lol is it a separate exe or something?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Drone Incognito posted:

The best part about this is that you can beat the game and move into endgame stuff without needing to follow a guide.

You can read the skills and then just pick the things that obviously synergize with it and you will have a functional build. You can min/max for sure but if it's your first run through the game just pick something that looks cool to you and go from there. They really threaded the needle between accessible character building and complexity.

Seeing how much stuff is simply and clearly explained in-game is a real breath of fresh air. I’m really going to enjoy playing it without having to alt tab all the time to check on mechanics and stat stuff.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: misread

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Just Another Lurker posted:

Pohx (POE Twitch streamer) is currently streaming offline as he converts a Paladin into a Righteous Fire Juggernaut, the lad is committed to the RF playstyle no matter the game. :magical:

lol god bless this dude

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Referral code: Fallom

get me some bees please

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What the heck, you still can’t compare both rings?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Acolyte leveling seems a bit weird. It’s not clear to me how to avoid using minions early on since the passive tree is mostly minion bonuses.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

GrandpaPants posted:

Are all you Acolytes not using the Marrow Shards skill? That thing tears up groups (at early levels, at least), then use Rip Blood whenever you're too low on hp.

Yeah you’d be crazy to keep using Rip Blood as your main. The potion drop rate is good enough that I don’t need to use Rip Blood to restore health as long as I’m putting in enough effort to avoid attacks.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Suprfli6 posted:

Latest update on the LE Discord: "Currently attempting to revert some changes made today to bring the state of online services to where they were 14 hours ago"

oof

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m not playing without my cosmic fox

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

I feel like Steam reviews should be more for whether the game is good or not substantively. A steam review saying "servers were down on release day F YOU DEVS refunding thumbs down" is useless a month from now unless they are still having server issues and won't reflect the game at that point at all. And nobody who leaves that kind of review is going to go back and edit it later.

That’s why Steam has all those features to show review trends and time context. A review left now is going to be helpful now because that’s what the game is like to play now. It doesn’t make sense to get upset about regular people not doing live reviews.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Protip: If you're like me and keep losing the mouse cursor in the screen you can use YoloMouse to make it bigger

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283970/YoloMouse/

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

bamhand posted:

I think he's saying the monos would just one shot you at level 1. They'd have to widen the scaling for those so you can do them starting from level 1.

Sounds fine? Dunno what there is to discuss about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I'm not sure I understand why the zone transitions take so long when the zones are instanced

What is it doing