Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Hi thread I just bought this game last week and I cannot put it down holy poo poo it's so good. Every single class is so fun. I have a question -

What exactly is the difference between "Scaling Tags" and "Minion Tags"? Is this saying my Wolves do more damage off any Minion, Companion or Strength stat only? And that they do Physical and Melee damage?

So like +Physical Damage on an item won't effect them, but +Minion Physical will right? I mean that makes sense. For everything this game does better than its competitors it's unfortunately still really hard to figure out Pet DPS.

e; Oh I just found a Hollow Finger unique ring with +Melee Necrotic damage. Will my doggos now deal a little Necro damage, or not because they only have the Physical/Melee tags?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Woops, left that part off - yes it explicitly says Minion Necrotic Damage. But since the wolves are Physical I wasn't sure if they'd get it.

Loving the Primalist class, I want to make like 4 of them to explore Beast Master with & without the "Single Companion Only" and a pack of doggos,and Druid's Werebear and Spriggan poo poo without spending a million gold in respecs.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, I kind of assumed that were the case but since my only way to "read" damage is to A-click a Target Dummy it's impossible to tell. Especially since I have all my minions biting the stupid dummy cluttering up my damage numbers. As an aside, I can't decide if I want to go with 4 Dogs & 1 Raptor, or just go all-in on 5 pups :thunk:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I do, I like the Rampage skill and I like the Raptor skill tree web thingamajig. But I want to make a third Primalist to spec into "Lone Pet" and just have a big dinosaur instead

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I've put a solid 60 hours in on my week and a half of ownership playing all the classes and even the same class twice to explore the different subclasses.

Well worth the current price IMO. But I can't fault anyone for waiting for "full" launch in most cases

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wikipedia says the game supports Mac, but I don't see such a tag on Steam - can anyone confirm? Was thinking maybe I'd get this for a friend for Christmas

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 24, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sad

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea always be crafting your damage preferences and resist needs on anything & everything with Potential remaining on it.

The crafting system is actually one of my favorite things about the game because if you decide to take a break and level a new character you'll still be finding shards they your other character might want.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm not sure tbh; Rogue is one of my least played classes and I'm not familiar with what nodes are on the class Passive Tree. There is a generic Damage over Time prefix and a suffix so you can probably try to focus on those?

I think most of my builds tend to go all-in on one damage type; Fire for my Sorcerer, Void for my Void Knight (:monocle:), Minion Damage for my Primalist etc.

My latest character, a Spellblade, does feel conflicted between wanting Cold & Lightning but Shatter Strike does way more damage than Mana Strike that I much prefer cold damage; just use the latter to regen mana.

EDIT: That suffix is for Primalists only. And on their Idols no less so you can't even craft it. Lame! I always wanted to do a Bleed and Poison build in Path of Exile but it never felt viable; hope you can make it work here :)

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 28, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I'm excited to see what the Falconer will be. Like how will they differentiate it from the Primalist & Acolyte minion playstyles.

I feel like Sorcerer is sufficiently AoE hell :shrug:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I wish you got it right at the time that you'd have 20 points sunk into your main tree. It's only a little bit past that, but still.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know Diablo games are really not "RPG" in the pencil-and-paper sense but I always like the idea of "making a character" so I kinda like being gated to the subclass you pick, while having the fluidity to experiment with the build therein.

Something about just being able to swap EVERYTHING around in D3 immediately on the fly never quite jived with me.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

You can A-Click like it's DOTA or Starcraft and tell your pets to Attack Here, too.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Phase 2 took me forever on my Sorcerer. Annoying having to do phase 1 again when you die.

Or having to clear two zones without a way point if you log off

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Go craft some Elemental Resistances, Poison, and Physical.

That was the fight that also made me realize just how Glass my Glass Canon was

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

To shreds, you say?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was close to max Elemental with my Sorc, a little poison and nearly no Physical at the time lol.

Did some Monoliths and over leveling + new gear and if still took me a few tries :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

The game has a very elaborate Loot Filter system.

So like on my Sorc I've got it configured to highlight items with high-tier +Fire & +Spell damage. Then you can even add more filters to that rule to single out specific items, eg Wands and even as far as to suggest specific base-types too. My bow-Rogue has a filter to just hide everything that is a 1h, or non-Bow 2H.

So when you hit that point of, "Basically what I want but better-rolled" you can easily configure the rules to hide out the junk.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Dec 30, 2021

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

With the loot filters and crafting system I really can't even imagine needing to trade, but then I mostly just play this game leveling up alts and have done very little with Monoliths so I don't fully understand Legendary Potential and all that stuff :v:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea, like if you're looking for a Staff with +Physical Spells and Cast Speed or something for your Primalist as well as a bow with +Physical Damage and Crit chance for your Rogue you can just make a filter that encompasses both.

You're allowed 75 rules per Filter, so it's extremely powerful.

The game even has built in stash tabs & sub-tabs, too! So you can just make like an "Idols" tab and then subtabs for each class specific one. Or a tab for each class and then subtabs for item types or whatever you like best. It's really just a well thought out game that has some good QoL features PoE will never get lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I mean you could still have some sort of interface for searching & buying items without physically seeing player models in the same instance of a zone.

But it's all offline single player now, your saves are stored locally as a JSON file

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Visual noise and a general inability to read the screen at all is how you know it's fun :haw:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I don't know what changed but suddenly my Maul has a giant ground explosion after effect?

I don't yet have the Passive Skill that makes Maul cast Upheaval, but I'd swear I've never seen this effect until just a few minutes ago...

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

My Werebear is feeling a bit weak, but I've been doing level 70 Monoliths no issues. A little slow, but plenty tanky so I never die :shrug:

I've got Swipe, Leap Slam, Werebear Form, Warcry and Upheavel specialized. The Leap Slam tree applies to Maul, and Maul triggers Upheavel. Plus Roar triggers Warcry too.

I've been using a thicc 2H all in on Physical Damage, I've got a ~45% Crit and... my Crit Multi doesn't report correctly on my character sheet, but it's probably like +400%? The weapon is a little old at this point, but everything I find/craft is a downgrade.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

It's really easy to get capped in this game though between the loot filters and crafting system.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Have they said anything about the Runemaster's playstyle? My Spellblade didn't feel particularly fun. I enjoyed Sorcerer much more.

Sadly my PC seems to have poo poo the bed yesterday, which is unfortunate because work is slow and I just wanna kill monsters :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Heithinn Grasida posted:

You won’t really see stuff dropping with legendary potential until you’re well into the monolith. Apparently the new dungeon drops tons of exalted items, but I haven’t run it yet. My highest character is in the low 80s, and while I like the idea of the monolith, postgame mostly feels like a treadmill to me, so I keep starting new characters instead of really pushing into high level content.

"End Game" in Diablo-likes has never really appealed to me, so I'm also on the "a dozen different characters" train. I just love the Primalist subclasses so much and want to try them all

CubeTheory posted:

Started playing this game a few days ago, just hit level 85 and I've decided it's time to deal with 'the idol situation'

I've picked up every idol the entire game and haven't tossed one yet, I have over 10 full stash tabs and now begins the great sortening.

:wtc: lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Papercut posted:

Here's what you do: trash literally every one of those stash tabs without even looking at anything in them, and go back to playing the game with a loot filter that only shows the idol affixes you care about.

:yeah:

It's absolutely this. Just create a filter that has the affixes you want and actually play the game lol

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

^You'd be better off just using the Search feature on the inventory screen to search for the affix name. Or the actual stat's text, if the search feature is that robust.

I wish you could Ctrl+F to select that textbox :( Pretty sure it works in PoE. Oh well, Early Access game yadda yadda yadda

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Dr_Gee posted:

the reward for finishing the last (so far) quest says a passive point and +1 to all skills, but i just got the +1 to all skills. had hit the 15/15 passive points by then though, so idk

regardless, it'd be nice if they spread those 15 out a bit more to give the last part of the questline some kind of mechanics-driven point. or even throw some affix stones or idols or something idk. just giving XP/GP is a bit lackluster

re: loot filters:

i've watched a couple vids about setting them up, but still feel like i'm Doing It Wrong and getting too much crap. Any good general how-to guides y'all have found useful?

also: any strategies for how to walk through the monolith options effectively? i like that each mission is short and sweet, has that good Adventure Mode vibe from D3; no idea if there are better/worse etc ways to approach other than "try not to double back since rewards get better the further you go from the hub"

My gaming desktop is borked otherwise I'd just post screenshots, but my filters are roughly like so, in this specific order:

-Hide Normal/Magic items
-Show Unique rarity and up
-Hide <class specific items>
-Hide Staves & Bows
-Hide 1Handers
-Hide 2H Axe and add a subrule specifying Base Item types and filter out the items with Innate stats you don't like (eg Bearded Axe, Ice Axe)

^Repeat that rule for all 2H Swords and relevant base types you don't care about
^Repeat- again for 2H Maces and base types

-Show/Emphasize 2H Weapons with [affixes I care about]

You can click "Advanced Options" for the Affix rule and add parameters for like, "Item must contain at least 2 of those affixes I selected" and "their combined tiers must equal at least 6". What that means is if an item drops with 2 of your affixes, but they're both T1's then it won't show up/be emphasized. If you get one T4 and one T2 it would show up. The idea here is that since you only have a limited number Crafting Potential, eventually you'll get to a point where you still care about items with certain affixes, but only if you're not going to blow all the CP making only 1 of those a T5 essentially.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Isn't Lagon mostly Physical, Cold, and Lightning? During the Campaign it is, I think. Get that maxed. What's your Endurance look like?

My Primalist has 1400 HP, 60% Endurance and like a 450 Threshold. Dude can face tank everything I have encountered up until ~level 74 so far, even things that my Sorcerer with a ton of Ward and HP can't.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Fair enough; and I just meant the Lightning Resistance specifically

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

What the gently caress. My computer died last week, just re-built it last night, booted up this game this morning and all of my characters are there EXCEPT for my Werebear who is the character I enjoyed playing the most

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Captain Foo posted:

Check your save games directory, there’s usually one backup copy of a character

Where are they on the disk? All I can find are 3 year old forum posts directing me to the Registry lol.

But I doubt that'll help; specifically what happened was the SSD with my Windows install poo poo the bed. So I replaced my 3 drives with 1 brand new disk and a brand new copy of Windows -- I'm relying on Steam Sync here.

Later today I do plan on hooking up my old disks to a SATA-to-USB enclosure and see what files I can pull over, though.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I assume it's just bad tooltip templating because Early Access.

In theory it should be fixed for 1.0, but that assumes they're tracking bug tickets for all the typos / ambiguous things like that. I noticed a few curiosities in some Primalist trees.

And yea D3 it's just, Skill, Skill's Rune and that's it. Much faster. Maybe you'll find a cool new legendary that makes you want to try out a different build while leveling impacts it a bit, but I'd imagine you've probably still been gearing the rest of your outfit a specific way. I can't remember how frequently I would try different Runes tbh.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1_temp is there but 1CHARACTERSLOT_BETA_1 is not :smith:

Lets find out if I can just rename it....At a glance _N and _N_temp look identical?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

:toot: Hell yea you can just drop the _temp off the back :D

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

zoux posted:

Werebear kicks so much rear end and I love that they give it to you as your first Druid skill. (Also, it's the first class I've played where you aren't making any real tradeoffs for playing with a controller :thumbsup: ) Just loving hulking out with huge satisfying swipes and smashes.

That's another front-loading decision that EHG made regarding progression. Your key transformation is a skill you would get at the end of the leveling process in D3 or PoE, and so you'd have to play a build that sucked for like 20 hours before it got fun. Another, unrelated, smart decision was having you finish the progression leveling in endgame content, all ARPGs are a race to the endgame and the devs were like "what if we made it start at the midgame".

:yeah:

I borrowed my friends bnet account last summer and played D2 Resurrected, forgot how lovely Druids were in that game. And just how janky D2 feels by modern standards. So having a sick rear end Werebear in Last Epoch has been my jam as well.
I wish it were more viable to scale both your ow Physical Damage as well as Minion Damage, because I wanna dump 5 points into Beastmaster to get Summon Bear, but it's just not good :(

Side note: renaming that _temp file to restore my missing character -- I seem to have lost my Shared Stash (including purchased Tabs), and my Loot Filters :(

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Too late; looking into my Stash created a new Globa_Data_Beta file and updated the old _temp too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

At some point they really should just make your Min Skill Level = 20 though.