Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Picked this up a week ago and it's pretty fun so far - the endgame seems a bit repetitive right now though, not sure how long that will hold my interest. I know they have more planned.

I was surprised to learn that, for a game that claims to be the 'slightly more casual' competitor to PoE, the death penalties are crazy harsh. When running monoliths, you get one shot at the quest boss - if you die not only does it reset, but you also have to run at least one more echo just to be able to fight him again. Compared to PoE with it's 6 portal zerg-rush, this seems pretty rude. I understand this is the state after several iterations of making dying less punishing, as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I enjoyed it for a couple of weeks while waiting for PoE league, but I don't know if I'll be back, at least until it's out of beta. There's nothing wrong with it, per se. I just found myself getting characters to monoliths, finding that one piece of gear to make a build work, playing said build for an hour or two and then having no motivation to continue. The homogeneity of loot and the crafting system means there's no goals at all other than just 'play more, numbers go up'. Hopefully the other end-game mechanics they have yet to add will help with this.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Magus42 posted:

C:\Users\<username>\AppData\LocalLow\Eleventh Hour Games\Last Epoch\Saves has your save files; crafting mats are stored in Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta

Save files are JSON with "EPOCH" stuck in front of the data; you can see a savedShards key that contains a list of entries like {"shardType":3,"quantity":149} - raise that quantity number and voila, tons of extra shards :)

Runes might be under materialsList instead which has slightly different formatting but still has quantity for each.

Storing save files in JSON format in YooL 2021, how refreshing.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
If you mean a prestige system or anything, no. It's not a mobile game. Once you've completed the campaign it's just a standard scaling endgame like D3 or PoE.

Having a lot of fun with poison/bleed rogue in 8.4. Absolutely blitzed through the campaign with every boss dying in seconds, will be interesting to see how it scales late-game.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dr_Gee posted:

the reward for finishing the last (so far) quest says a passive point and +1 to all skills, but i just got the +1 to all skills. had hit the 15/15 passive points by then though, so idk

Wait, +1 to all skills? I thought it was stats.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

TL:DR; Penetration from monster level applies after resists are capped at 75%.

Tensokuu posted:

Here's a weird question: there's a steam review saying when you respec, any of the points you've put into your abilities don't get returned to you so you're kinda screwed and punished from trying different builds. Hard to say how many patches ago it was, but is that still true?

It's true, yes. When you remove a point from a skill you don't get that point back to spend, you have to earn it again. It's really not a big deal in practice though. If you want to completely respec you're better off just unspeccing the skill entirely and starting back at your minimum passive level (which I think caps at 10 at level 80?).

It's not quite D3 levels of respec on the fly, but it's not that bad as long as you're not changing builds every 5 minutes.

Vulpes fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 12, 2022

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sab669 posted:

Side note: renaming that _temp file to restore my missing character -- I seem to have lost my Shared Stash (including purchased Tabs), and my Loot Filters :(

Drop the _temp off of Epoch_Local_Global_Data_Beta_temp and those should come back too.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sab669 posted:

Took 3 tries to kill Lagon, his cold (?) beam is definitely really spooky. Even with 1500 HP, max resists and great Endurance if I stood in it for more than half a second I was dead. And sometimes my pathing would just seem to lock up, but maybe I was stunned?

I think the Monoliths need to be more rewarding. I didn't really time myself but it probably took 60-80 minutes to do all the Echoes + the 2 Monolith Quests before it... And my rewards are +Lightning Resist, which is maxed. +Cold Damage, which I don't deal. Or +Freeze Multiplier, which I don't deal.

The previous monolith had equally disinteresting rewards. At least on the first one I got a thing that increases Unique drop rates marginally.

Blessing are just a bonus, the real treasure is the friends you make loot you get along the way.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Mikojan posted:

Apparently its a resource issue that limits excessive amount of stacks to show in either UI or visual effects.

AFAIK effects stack indefinetely.

It makes me super curious about their spaghetti code that they can calculate the damage from unlimited stacks of bleed, but it's too resource intensive to actually display the number of stacks.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Captain Foo posted:

0-15

variable sizes strike again lol

That's not it this time, because it also knows when it's more than 15, so that's 17 states in total.

I remember seeing another quote along the lines of it being to the order of an O(log n) problem to calculate the number of stacks, and becoming prohibitively costly past ~15 stacks. My best guess is that their UI code must be so siloed-off from their calculations that it requires a whole separate calculation just to return the number of stacks, and the way the stacks are stored doesn't allow you say 'give me all the stacks for this NPC'. It's really bugging me though!

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Captain Foo posted:

going full speculation i'd guess that the damage-dealing code doesn't actually keep track of the number of stacks but rather it processes everything available

They need to store it on some kind of per-stack basis though because each stack can have a different duration and a different DPS/effect. Even if they are fudging that part and making every stack the same, each stack still has to have it's own expiry time. So it's not just as simple as merging them into one big stack with a single value.

I don't work on performance-critical applications or games so I guess there's a bunch of tricks I don't know about that make this more complex than it seems. Or they just wrote some dumb code and now it's too late to change it. Either way.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Just allow trading items only with people who were on your friend list at the time the item dropped.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

Trip report:

This game is decent. The main issue is I don't think the endgame has much longevity in its current state, owing mostly due to itemization being quite simple and boring, a lack of interesting/varied activities, and low monster density in echoes.

Yeah this the reason I come back for a week or two every so often and then get bored. There's no way to set your own risk/reward like PoE has with map mods, scarabs, atlas tree etc. The game would honestly be improved if you could just set the Corruption level on a slider. I haven't got to the new dungeons yet so maybe that will help longevity this time around.

Mob density and general pace are frustrating also when coming from 'gotta go fast' PoE.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Dr. Mantis Toboggan posted:

I don't find that to be my experience at all; I spend much more time in an average PoE map than I do in an average echo in Last Epoch. Some echoes are literally just zoom 15 seconds to the objective, finish it in a couple seconds, and leave. I was playing a Lich with separate Transplant and Reap cooldowns though so that factors into that a bit.

This is true, but most echoes don't give you any meaningful rewards either. They're fast but a lot of them feel like filler to get to the 'good ones' or just to the end of the monolith for a chance at the rare loot.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sab669 posted:

I suppose a "new league" for the official launch makes sense, but that mildly makes me not want to play much now :(

For some perspective here, 0.8 came out in December 2020. 1.0 will be a while off yet.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
How is Ele Nova Sorc compared to Glacier? I'm level 75 and just had an LP3 Ashen Crown drop so I'm thinking about switching over.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I guess I need to roll an ele nova sorc now? Wish I'd had one more teleport shard.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Noper Q posted:

Two options for cutting down your exalted tabs:
1) Only keep items with tier 7 affixes. This is easy to set up a filter for.

Also set up a filter for dual t6+ items, these are very rare, but not otherwise highlighted any more than a standard exalted item.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

gnoma posted:

The Sorceror passive tree has a node that gives you big chunks of ward when you spend big chunks of mana and glacier has mana refund nodes that enable you to spam the skill and generate giant 10k+ ward stacks. The interaction is very likely to get nerfed though, as it was added in right before the patch dropped with minimal testing and is clearly overtuned.

It's hilarious it made it past any kind of QA. 'Gain your mana in Ward when you cast a spell' (when mana stackers can exceed 1,000 mana and cast several spells per second) compared to similar passives which are poo poo like like 'gain your intelligence in ward when you use a potion'. It's broken beyond belief, enjoy it while it lasts.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Yeah, by the time you reach empowered monos you should only be picking up 'useful' exalts and basically nothing else, unless it has a desirable class mod on it. Also when you get an item with several tiers of a super-rare or valuable mod make sure to use Rune of Removal rather than Rune of Shattering, you'll get a lot more shards out of it.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

NPR Journalizard posted:

I played way to much WoW to ever stand in random poo poo on the ground ever again

I loved it when they'd sometimes design a boss with ground effects that you _did_ need to stand in, and everyone would constantly gently caress it up because of learned behavior.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

quote:

There is now an AFK timer in Online mode. You will be warned about being AFK at 5 minutes (10 minutes in Town zones), and kicked at 10 minutes (15 minutes in Town zones).

MMOing like it's 1999. Why does this need to be a thing on a paid game?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
I wonder how prepared EHG are for the ARPG FotM legions to descend on their servers at launch. It took GGG years to get their league launches smooth.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Martout posted:

I'm going to start Falconer and try to create some kind of explosive trap detonating arrow build. Some of the nodes in the explosive trap skill tree look nuts with traps throwing more traps and traps shooting detonating arrows and I want to see if it can be made into a functioning build :D

This build has been extensively theory-crafted already and is likely to be a popular one on launch (albeit with blast rain/bows rather than actually throwing traps). Don't watch this video if you want to figure it out on your own though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu3Wv6aKN5g

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Tarnop posted:

You only get resonances by playing with people in a party, which you can't do in SSF mode

He means CoF, not 'real' SSF. I'm pretty sure everyone else does, too. Doubt many people are playing true SSF online, what would even be the point?

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

queeb posted:

explosive trap seems pretty meh/bad, i went over and converted it to a bow skill and the damage seems bad, like one volley cant even kill a group of mobs

It's crushing everything for me in normal monos. At lower levels though it's better with a bleed focus (puncture etc). Worth noting also that the bow version is designed to be used by Marksman, not Falconer. It'll be lame without all the bow support passives.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Mailer posted:

Is there ever a case where you'd actually want a dungeon/arena prophecy?

I've been saving the juicy dungeon ones and running a whole bunch at once. The dungeons aren't bad for rewards anyway, and you need to at least do Temporal Sanctum pretty frequently if you're serious about gearing.

I tried Arena today and they've reworked it a lot from when I first tried it back in the day. Much more of a reward-based structure and much less boring.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
As someone playing the bugged warlock build, I wish they would fix it. I don't have any self-control, so while this build is 1000% better than literally anything else there is no reason for me to try out any alts, which means I'm unlikely to play for more than another week or two this cycle.

It's clearly a bug. The values don't match the tooltip. It's not even a grey area.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Fruits of the sea posted:

What exactly is the warlock bug?

Profane Veil's Vampiric Pool is supposed to absorb 4% of killed minion health as ward (per tool tip), but it's doing 40% instead, allowing warlocks to generate 100k+ ward with two key presses on a very short cooldown.

It's clearly a bug and I honestly don't understand why they are being so hardheaded about fixing it. I get they don't want to set a midleague nerf precedent, but bug fixes aren't nerfs. Even PoE understands that difference.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
The dumb thing is that the torment warlock would still be S-tier even after the bug fix, 10k+ ward on command is still loving great. So nobody is gonna get dumpstered.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Awesome! posted:

no like in the poe sense. if I get a weapon with 25% necrotic damage on it does that apply to all of my necrotic damage or just the necrotic damage on the weapon

Short answer, everything is global.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
The three mobs before the Rahyeh fight count too I believe, they're probably the fastest ones to get to once you have the stability to fight him. Just portal out and reset after.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Second Hand Meat Mouth posted:

he's hands down the best last epoch player in the thread he might as well be mod of the subforum

to be fair he's also super annoying and made of 90% lovely low effort posts by volume

But respect for making Beastmaster work.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Sab669 posted:

Can you just kill a Monolith boss, not interacting with the story thing / collect your Blessing and TP out to "fail" the mission and re-kill the Boss?

Yes, but the devs thought of that already. The boss doesn't drop loot and you won't get a blessing choice on your second kill.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
EHG finally saw reason and is fixing the Profane Veil bug. And something in Runemaster that means nothing to me.

https://forum.lastepoch.com/t/upcoming-bugfixes-to-overperforming-builds/68088

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Kaysette posted:

gently caress gently caress I need to find decent gear before this drops lol

when is this happening?

They've only said 'this week'.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Tonetta posted:

everything that applies to life applies to ward, except things that specifically say life, such as "low life" - which conveniently means you can get low life effects such as endurance to stack on your massive ward stack

Endurance doesn't affect ward, even if your life is low enough.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Ojetor posted:

Honestly just a very rare consumable that adds 1-2 LP to a 0 LP unique would be nice. Heartbreaking to see a well-rolled unique go to waste because it didn't roll any LP.

A better plan (though very PoE) would be a rune that just re-rolled the LP chance on a unique. But right now we can't craft on uniques at all so it doesn't seem like something they'll do any time soon.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.
Just remove the keys entirely imo, they serve very little purpose. You either have none because you're levelling, or you're swimming in them from monoliths.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Kaddish posted:

Mad Alchemist's Ladle or Marina's Lost Soul for a Torment Warlock?

Ladle all day. More damage mod is better than Increased, and you get more cast speed as well.