Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HallelujahLee
May 3, 2009

this is the latest update im seeing in the discord

5 minutes ago Just found and fixed a major issue but we still have another to solve. #progress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

HallelujahLee posted:

im in that discord and im not seeing that update

anyways if your so inclined play offline you're not missing much

It looks like they deleted it lol. It was on the line directly below "Online mode is currently unavailable. I'll update when status changes." in their news section. Now there is a different newer update that says "6 minutes ago Just found and fixed a major issue but we still have another to solve. #progress "

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bamhand posted:

Offline mode works perfectly fine though?

What's stopping you guys?
You can't take your offline characters online and a lot of people have either already started characters online that they would like to continue, or intend to play online later and don't want to spend a couple of hours on a character they'll have to abandon once online comes back up.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Like other than trading and leaderboards what does online even give you?

And poo poo that trading guild built for solo play makes trading way less of an issue (playing the economy is actually my least favorite part of POE)

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I HATE ALWAYS ONLINE GAMES!!!

*builds an arpg with a literal, fully functional offline mode that has worked perfectly since release afaik*

WHY CAN'T I GO ONLINE?!?!?! WHERE'S MY ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY?!?!?! THIS GAME SUCKS!!!

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

Noted Psycho Poster Panda Clue
He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
If you are planning on playing SSF there is almost no reason to play online. 'Offline' fully simulates being online if you want, with global chat and friends list functionality and everything.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I can play this game online with my friends in offline mode?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I’m not playing without my cosmic fox

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

InventorOfTrees posted:

offline isn't real and my characters have no permanence.

*literally never touches a PoE character ever again after they move to standard*

This is me fr

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

explosivo posted:

I can play this game online with my friends in offline mode?

no, but you can chat with them

mrbass21
Feb 1, 2009

frajaq posted:

so loving stupid, why did I spend money on this garbage lol

It’s really strange to me that players beg developers for transparency. When they get transparency they accuse the developers of being brain dead poo poo heads.

Do you know how many games have deployed code they hope will work and it makes things worse so they revert it? poo poo, we do this at my programming job.

I’m, personally, enjoying that they are giving such real updates about what they are doing.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

InventorOfTrees posted:

no, but you can chat with them

For some people these games are social games you play with friends. I'm not saying that's an excuse for people to act like the devs took a poo poo in their kitchen sink but personally I don't want to play the start of this game in offline mode when I know as soon as the servers are working I'll be starting over there. It's not just chat and leaderboards and trading.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Ya I wanna trade my loot found in ssf mode with my buddies, with those token things

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

queeb posted:

Ya I wanna trade my loot found in ssf mode with my buddies, with those token things

You only get resonances by playing with people in a party, which you can't do in SSF mode

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You

explosivo posted:

For some people these games are social games you play with friends. I'm not saying that's an excuse for people to act like the devs took a poo poo in their kitchen sink but personally I don't want to play the start of this game in offline mode when I know as soon as the servers are working I'll be starting over there. It's not just chat and leaderboards and trading.

I mean I totally understand that, which is why I said offline is basically the same only if you plan on playing SSF. If you plan on playing with even one other person then that obviously isn't going to work for you.

If you plan on truly playing solo, the literal only difference is offline loads zones faster lol.

Vulpes
Nov 13, 2002

Well, shit.

Tarnop posted:

You only get resonances by playing with people in a party, which you can't do in SSF mode

He means CoF, not 'real' SSF. I'm pretty sure everyone else does, too. Doubt many people are playing true SSF online, what would even be the point?

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I want to play with friends, but if you don't and you're playing online ??????????????

InventorOfTrees posted:

offline isn't real and my characters have no permanence.

*literally never touches a PoE character ever again after they move to standard*

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If you're getting angry about the servers, just forget the game exists for a week and play then. It's really not a big deal.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

mrbass21 posted:

It’s really strange to me that players beg developers for transparency. When they get transparency they accuse the developers of being brain dead poo poo heads.

Do you know how many games have deployed code they hope will work and it makes things worse so they revert it? poo poo, we do this at my programming job.

I’m, personally, enjoying that they are giving such real updates about what they are doing.

I just feel bad for them, nothing feels good about needing to give an update every half hour or whatever frequency they've been doing.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I mean, I'm holding off to play online for a couple reasons (and wasn't able to the several times I tried yesterday & today, lol) but luckily I can just wait a couple days. I also bought this in EA like a year ago so it's not like I bought a "1.0" game that is partially non-functional, but I can see why people are upset. I think people are posting the egregious examples of "slap in the face" soapbox style posting but there are shades of reasonableness inbetween that.

InventorOfTrees
Dec 13, 2013

He Dreams of Pancakes
And So Should You
actually offline also doesn't allow you to use MTX, which is probably currently some dumb authentication limitation, but it is a legitimate downside

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm playing online now. Took a couple of attempts to login but i've done three zone changes with no issue

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
They should have just declared the 21st as the start of the early access server test period. March 1st is the real release date. Could even channel Blizzard and charge an extra 20 dollars for the privilege of play testing a week early.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

explosivo posted:

People are giving negative reviews for the game they bought and can't play the way they want to a day after it came out, I don't think that's an unreasonable expectation. Yeah there's definitely people who are 100% way too upset about this after a day who are talking out their rear end about lazy devs or whatever but warning potential buyers that the multiplayer of this game is currently nonfunctional with a thumbs down is sort of the reason you have steam reviews. It'll even out over time once they sort the backend server poo poo out.

I feel like Steam reviews should be more for whether the game is good or not substantively. A steam review saying "servers were down on release day F YOU DEVS refunding thumbs down" is useless a month from now unless they are still having server issues and won't reflect the game at that point at all. And nobody who leaves that kind of review is going to go back and edit it later.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Cthonic Fissure is amazing and I can't wait to make it cast my Chaos Bolts for me.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

StarkRavingMad posted:

I feel like Steam reviews should be more for whether the game is good or not substantively. A steam review saying "servers were down on release day F YOU DEVS refunding thumbs down" is useless a month from now unless they are still having server issues and won't reflect the game at that point at all. And nobody who leaves that kind of review is going to go back and edit it later.

That’s why Steam has all those features to show review trends and time context. A review left now is going to be helpful now because that’s what the game is like to play now. It doesn’t make sense to get upset about regular people not doing live reviews.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Horace Kinch posted:

Cthonic Fissure is amazing and I can't wait to make it cast my Chaos Bolts for me.

Just FYI those autocast bolts DO consume mana. I wound up refunding out of that node because I hate being mana constrained.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
Oh hey it’s working again cool

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Kalman posted:

Just FYI those autocast bolts DO consume mana. I wound up refunding out of that node because I hate being mana constrained.

I've been dumping points into anything that reduces/refunds mana costs. It might be better as an endgame pick but I'd like to see it for myself.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Is it normal I launch the game and then always have to wait 40-50 seconds before it effectively start on my screen?

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Kalman posted:

You gotta get the thing that makes those bolts generate mana when they hit a cursed mob

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I like how Shadow Daggers keep getting nerfed and they're still busted. Great for a leveling build.

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*

bamhand posted:

Could even channel Blizzard and charge an extra 20 dollars for the privilege of play testing a week early.

1) that's really cringe

2) the game has been playable for years

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

InventorOfTrees posted:

actually offline also doesn't allow you to use MTX, which is probably currently some dumb authentication limitation, but it is a legitimate downside

since offline doesn't talk to the servers they can't authenticate that you actually own the MTX cosmetics they want to make money off.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

it's nothing to do with talking to the servers because the regular offline mode talks to the servers, it's only the true offline that doesn't; and neither offline mode can use cosmetics.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Protip: If you're like me and keep losing the mouse cursor in the screen you can use YoloMouse to make it bigger

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283970/YoloMouse/

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Profane Oblation is not Sacrifice and specializing Sacrifice won't make the spell exploding my skeletons cast by my skeleton mages any better, right?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Looks like EHG is giving everyone all three bee pets for free due to feedback and issues with the friend codes etc. but not confirmed when/how yet.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Good call, I hope they don't do that referral code bullshit again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
I'm getting much quicker area transitions than yesterday with the occasional really long loading screen to make up for it. Overall very playable for me.

I am getting this weird garbled text on unique items though. Loot filter issue?