Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

explosivo posted:

Hey this game loving rules. When this goes full release and I can get some buds in here with me this shits going to be a blast. It really feels like the better parts of a lot of recent arpg's but also doing it's own things and it's really grabbed me by the balls after playing for a couple hours last night.

yeah it's very well done. A ton of really clever, just smart design choices in it. and imo one of the biggest things: the game communicates mechanics really, really clearly to the extent you very much do not need a wiki to play through it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

nerox posted:

I want to start as a hammerdin and my head canon will be that my Diablo 2 character got sucked into the last epoch universe.

Edit: As per my earlier posts, the hammerdin in Diablo 2 had no idea why he was killing everything and he will not know why he is killing everything in last epoch either :colbert:

similarly i'm waiting for last epoch to add storm brand finally

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
lmao that's perfect

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
no, it's that baking sockets into other characters is a terrible idea. it just might work for me

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
still not worth that price

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I mean yea LE is the better game overall, but D4 does have the best/coolest campaign of any ARPG [which as I said on the other page is an extremely low bar]... Plus not like it'll be taken off Gamepass, so can just play it down the line if one really wants to experience it.

starting to think u have incredibly poor arpg taste

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sab669 posted:

Oh yea, I'm mostly talking about the major cinematics and things like that. Not like, the whole process of going 1-50.

lol that does kind of change things

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Zereth posted:

Does "no loot filter" mean you can't like, filter by affixes and so on, or that there's no way to hide the "you have no reason to even think about these once you have all your slots filled" garbage white gear?

both lol, there's literally zero way to filter loot

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Sab669 posted:

I'm not sure what this means

https://x.com/JPiepiora/status/1682622069807394817?s=20

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

J posted:

The crafting in this game is great because you can engage with it right away without feeling like you're wasting resources that "should" be saved for endgame crafting projects later.

I think it is literally the best crafting system in an arpg wrt the amount of power behind it relative to the obtuseness of the system as a whole. Overall it's a pretty elegant solution to arpg crafting

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Field Mousepad posted:

I've been reading that wolcen got some huge patches recently and is actually ok? Can anyone confirm that?

you're probably thinking of grim dawn, which got some huge patches recently and went from good to very good

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Stux posted:

guy somehow still shocked 20 years after wow came out thhat buying servers just for launch windows isnt going to happen: the devs are loving us. AGAIN. WHY wouldnt they DO SOMETHING if they KNEW???

im the guy threatening to sue the devs because i can't play for 2 hours

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

mrbass21 posted:

This is a slap in the face.

we can merge our change.org petitions

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
I'm happy for the LE devs. It's not 1:1 because PoE has its own launcher that many people use, but LE has a similar amount of people on steam playing as PoE pulls on steam for a league start. LE has come a long ways and has always had a very clear vision behind it, so it's nice to see it doing well.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

MarcusSA posted:

I only play ARPGs for the story.

poe 2 devs apparently doing a variable story thing where u get a different story and npc reactions if you just blast through ignoring everything and listening to nothing and not reading anything, which is lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

nerox posted:

If I am blasting through ignoring everything, how will I know? :psyduck:

Last Epoch is now saying I am not logged into Steam. After 24 hours, my online character has only achieved level 2.

presumably the vendors or other npcs that you actually have to interact with will comment on it, probably as you're zooming away. they had an extremely positive response to NPCs basically poo poo talking the player so it might well be more of that, too. idk though, they talked about it at some point during one of the poe 2 panels, but I don't have a link offhand

Clarste posted:

Honestly, I am story-enjoyer by nature, but the way they choose to present it in this game (dialog with slowly appearing text while someone talks) is like the worst possible way to convey that, imo, since you can't speed it up without skipping it entirely. That said, I feel like the text appears a little faster in 1.0?

Yeah imo there's absolutely room for arpgs to have some story, but there's just a bunch of incomprehensible genre conventions that story is apparently meant to be conveyed by some rambling expository notes left all around the world. or the world's slowest talking npcs

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Feb 22, 2024

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

Protip: If you're like me and keep losing the mouse cursor in the screen you can use YoloMouse to make it bigger

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1283970/YoloMouse/

i have 6k hours in this game, it's very good

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
it's currently the #2 selling game on steam and it's made by a studio that was, until their big hiring spree, what, a year ago? around 2 dozen people iirc

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
imo if you get rid of the campaign people will just complain about the boring leveling from 1-80 as the roadblock to rerolling

as an aside, you can go to delve at level 30 and play that all the way to level 90+ without ever doing any story and then just blitz the story at max speed, but no one does that

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
imagine if they started your second+ characters off at level 45 in act 6 town

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

rafikki posted:

So I work on my offline character while waiting on loading screens :D yes, i know it's dumb

hell yeah

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Dramatika posted:

They were a goon who worked at EHG for a while in a technical design role , who seemed to be managed out of the company in a pretty lovely way.

elen was completely falling apart around that time so who knows the full story there

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
what the gently caress is this game doing that the menu screen and even the pre-login screen have my graphics card going at 100% while in game it uses like 20%. that's even with fps limited

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Suburban Dad posted:

Do you limit your fps to your monitor's refresh rate in the settings? I don't notice my 3080 preparing for launch but I'll actually turn on something to monitor it next time.

Last night I went to switch a zone and started a YouTube video. A couple videos later it was still loading so I just alt-f4'd the game. I'm usually a huge ARPG super nerd logging a lot of hours initially but they're making it hard for me to get into this game.

it happens even when fps is limited way below it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
they're significantly above poe's peak on steam, good for them :3:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tiny Timbs posted:

That’s pretty wild. I certainly didn’t expect that, but I guess PoE has a reputation that kept it from growing.

poe has a ton of people who play on the stand alone client so it's not a 1:1 thing, but it's still impressive as hell. I can't overstate enough how good of a move it was to make 1) an actually good arpg and 2) make it very user-friendly

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Just Another Lurker posted:

After playing poe for nine years i think i prefer this one. :kiddo:

there's just so much stuff that LE does right

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Tonetta posted:

I'm pretty impressed with the prophecy system and just how much it'll poo poo out at later ranks. really looking forward to hitting rank 10 for the duplicated prophecy rewards to see how crazy it can get, but it's gonna take forever to get there. even at 500 corruption & chasing tomes of experience, it's been slow

it reminds me of what would have happened if ggg had leaned into expedition being the solution to a lot of ssf scarcity issues instead of nerfing gwennen into the loving ground

it's such a good system

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
and that's why last epoch has 50k more peak players on steam than poe lol

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Totally. I'm a 10 year PoE vet and nothing in the genre has ever held a candle (Sorry Grim Dawn) but this has real potential.

The only reason I'm miffed with this leveling build is it doesn't really use all the cool skill synergies I came to love in some previous builds I did in Beta.

grim dawn owns but yeah this is the only game I can currently see becoming a meaningful contender to POE. I wouldn't actually write grim dawn devs off because there's a ton of good design in that game, but idk it's got a lot farther to go

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Deformed Church posted:

I've always wanted an oot[??]St, thanks Ezra!

edit: oh and now im bugged and the next objective marker is in the wrong place

poe had this text bug for years and years and it kept coming back and by the end I was sad to see it go because getting some pc breaking unique always seemed cool

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
last epoch does a really good job of having a lot of items that i see them and actually want to make a character to try using them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Ghostlight posted:

everything i see form poe2 is like the complete opposite of what i want. ggg are always talking about how they want to slow the game down and make it more consequential and all i want to do is murder demons and assign points to skills that murder demons quicker so i get points faster.

I want to see what they come up with for poe 2 because ggg tends to be very clever, but yeah I in no way want that replacing poe 1, which pretty much perfectly nails what you describe imo