Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Well, increasing rations just ups the odds of eating more nightshade, plus food is becoming a premium right about now, so Continue as usual.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Playing a bit of OTII, and I think I solved the mystery of where we suddenly got a bunch of money from.
Being a trail guide gives you bonus money($500 in OTII, probably similar/the same in 5), but you only get it after you leave your starting town. I assume it's meant to give you a reason to pick it other than bragging rights, since you gameover if you get fired.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

chitoryu12 posted:

I should point out that he's our 5-year-old, the age most vulnerable to these berries. Meaty Ore was 65 so his time was coming.
Wow, he's pretty large for a five-year-old in that picture!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Haifisch posted:

Playing a bit of OTII, and I think I solved the mystery of where we suddenly got a bunch of money from.

Being a trail guide gives you bonus money($500 in OTII, probably similar/the same in 5), but you only get it after you leave your starting town. I assume it's meant to give you a reason to pick it other than bragging rights, since you gameover if you get fired.

I completely forgot about that! Yes, that’s where it came from.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Incidentally, I don't recommend taking a year & three months to reach your destination, having everyone in your party but you die(mostly of freezing to death, because you don't have matches to light fires with), and also get stuck in the Sierra Nevadas for months thanks to being snowbound/having to trade away all but two of your oxen for spare wagon parts & a length of chain(surprise, there is a mountain you literally can't get past without ropes or chains) and then having to trade away your remaining money so you have enough oxen to move again.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

chitoryu12 posted:

I completely forgot about that! Yes, that’s where it came from.

I was just reading about the whole greenhorn/adventurer/trail guide concept while I was trying to suss out the differences between OT 2 and 5, and I had no idea that there was a cash bonus even though it makes sense now. Fine investigative work, Haifisch. Apparently adventurer's can be demoted if they gently caress up enough, but the game continues and they can be re-elected. Trail guides, who presumably get an even larger wage packet, receive an instant game over if they are demoted, which does bump up the challenge quite a bit. Apparently adventurers and guides have to make larger, more comprehensive decisions, but I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I didn't even notice - what setting were you playing on in the first game that went so well? I keep forgetting that the player is technically one wagon among many.

Also mildly surprised that matches are still an absolute necessity in this game. I honestly thought that flint and tinder was still a thing during the time period.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Haifisch posted:

Incidentally, I don't recommend taking a year & three months to reach your destination, having everyone in your party but you die(mostly of freezing to death, because you don't have matches to light fires with), and also get stuck in the Sierra Nevadas for months thanks to being snowbound/having to trade away all but two of your oxen for spare wagon parts & a length of chain(surprise, there is a mountain you literally can't get past without ropes or chains) and then having to trade away your remaining money so you have enough oxen to move again.

You better have named yourself Job.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Haifisch posted:

Morale is high.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Carbon dioxide posted:

Morale is high.

Well, sure... only one person is alive to have morale and that person is in good health. Dead people don't get to chime in and say "I'm not happy with the management of this expedition - I told you not to go near Salt Lake."

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
90% of wagon train morale is stopping and resting. If you're snowbound, you're resting a lot, so of course everyone is happy with how you're running things. They're getting to take a really long break where they're definitely not freezing/starving to death themselves. You're showing them what a kind and competent leader you are! :downs:

On a completely unrelated note, apparently this is the difference between using ropes/chains and anchoring the wagon when going downhill:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Without enough food to plausibly increase rations, we soldier on and hope NGDBSS survives.

The wagon train is suffering, but we're so close! Right on the edge of the Great Salt Lake!

What do we even have to lose if we tip?

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
CAULK HER UP

Also potentially forage for more food or if we can trade with someone around for a rifle.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I say we ford that sucker.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

ROCK CHALK SUCK MY CAULK.

Also seconding trading for a gun.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
Caulked and loaded

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Ford the river.

Suzaku
Feb 15, 2012
Let's caulk it up.

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

JustJeff88 posted:

Apparently adventurers and guides have to make larger, more comprehensive decisions, but I'm slightly embarrassed to say that I didn't even notice - what setting were you playing on in the first game that went so well? I keep forgetting that the player is technically one wagon among many.

The difference between Greenhorn and Adventurer/Trail Guide is that a Greenhorn can't make decisions about which way to go on forks; it's all automatic. The first playthrough was done on Adventurer, so we've always had choices in the LP.

Anyways, caulk the wagons.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

What is the difference between caulking vs. fording?

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Fording a river (or any body of water) just means to walk across it, or drive if applicable. You don't swim or float, you try to maintain contact with the river bed to cross. Generally not an issue in shallow or calm waters but studies have shown water as shallow as two feet can knock an adult off their feet if it is moving fast enough. If the water were to reach the bottom of the wagon (or higher) we also risk flooding it or have it washed away.

When you caulk and float across you are turning the wagon body into a makeshift amphibious vehicle, having it act as a boat's hull so you can float across. Less risk of flooding but since it's a wagon and not a boat it is probably nearly impossible to control in fast moving waters so you risk getting washed away, or slammed into nearby rocks, or getting the wheels caught on the river bed and tipping you.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Psychotic Weasel posted:

When you caulk and float across you are turning the wagon body into a makeshift amphibious vehicle, having it act as a boat's hull so you can float across. Less risk of flooding but since it's a wagon and not a boat it is probably nearly impossible to control in fast moving waters so you risk getting washed away, or slammed into nearby rocks, or getting the wheels caught on the river bed and tipping you.
Yup, let’s caulk and float.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

See? Educational!

Seyser Koze
Dec 15, 2013

Mucho Mucho
Nap Ghost
Is it possible to get a game-over because of mutiny?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Seyser Koze posted:

Is it possible to get a game-over because of mutiny?

If you're the trail guide, yes. If morale drops low enough, you get kicked off the job and are left stranded permanently where they leave you. If you're an Adventurer you just get demoted and have to follow the main route.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

If you're the trail guide, yes. If morale drops low enough, you get kicked off the job and are left stranded permanently where they leave you. If you're an Adventurer you just get demoted and have to follow the main route.
True, but we’re already running the galaxy brain countermove: Get everyone sick and starving first. They can’t maroon us if they’re already dead!

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Ford

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Rest here until the river freezes and we can just walk across it. That'll only take about 4 months, it's fine.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Another river awaits us shortly after.

We manage to trade almost all of our clothing for a rifle. Fight amongst yourselves who gets to stay dressed for this second half of the journey.

We're not very lucky, only bagging 7 pounds of rabbit. That's not even a day's worth of food for everyone.

We go out to gather again. Thanks to our judicious picking, we already recognize black mustard and nettles. We only have the big yellow flower and the little yellow flowers to pick from.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Eat. Everything.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

The big yellow flower looks like dandelions which are good food. The little yellow one looks similar enough that it's probably fine. Eat 'em all.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Haifisch posted:

Eat. Everything.

Everything.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."
eat it all

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
With food as it is, eat everything.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

eat it all, if anybody dies that just means you need less food in the future :sun:

Kodos666
Dec 17, 2013
eat everything

You could roast the dandelion root into ersatz-coffee, which tastes exactly as horrible as it sounds, but better than drinking tea like a limey.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Yeah, I think we're good to eat everything this time around.

scavy131
Dec 21, 2017
Eat All, forget what the third one is, but the fourth is dandelions so that's definitely a keeper.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The big yellow flowers are dandelions. The entire plant is edible and the roots can be chopped, roasted, and boiled to make a coffee substitute.

The smaller ones are the related sow thistle. The leaves are edible as greens, though they get more bitter with age.

What to do with the river?

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

CAULK IT!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Float on our merry way.