Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CirclMastr posted:

Let's set out in April of 1850 because it's more amusing to me if we're late to the Gold Rush.

Voting for this. That or we're hoping to get rich off the 49ers instead of being Rushers ourselves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

MagusofStars posted:

Sacramento
The majority vote on year seemed pretty clear that the whole intent of leaving in 1850 was to be a late-comer to the gold rush, so this seems pretty obvious.

Independence, MO
According to Wikipedia, this city is nicknamed the "Queen of the Trails" because all the major trails went through here. Sounds good.

Large Wagon
No real reason, so just picking the middle ground.

Gunsmith
The namesake of our brave leader, Commander Keene, carries a raygun at all times. Seems appropriate. Also, from a meta-gaming perspective, this gives a nice starting pile of money; let's not jump too far into the deep end in game 1.

Adventurer
Making dumb decisions, getting fired halfway and then spending months criticizing our successor for his decisions? That's the most American way to handle things!

Seconding this.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ford the river.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

ultrafilter posted:

Anything that gets wet is potentially contaminated and has to be thrown out.

Hazardous as rivers are in this game, this wagon train's going to California. Water will be a precious, precious thing if we get that far.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Ferry. We're a gunsmith, we have cash.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Take the ferry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Three crossings.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, we've been making good time so far. Better safe than sorry with the water supplies. And since we're heading to California, I get the sneaking suspicion we're going to need as much water as we can fit in the wagon.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Also kind of worth noting, for this run our protagonist has gunsmith as his occupation, so he or she makes at least one of those kinds of guns in that post. Coming late to the Gold Rush, they're probably intending to get rich selling guns to the new settlers in the boomtowns.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Agree to the deal. No idea if the game tracks it or not, but I like the idea of being nice to the Native Americans.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Yeah, avoid the Mormons. We don't want to walk into a Mountain Meadows Massacre.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

PizzaProwler posted:

The Mormons are still very suspicious of outsiders at this point and the Salt Lake Valley is a miserable place.

To the point that in 1857, just seven years after this LP's trip, a Mormon militia massacred a wagon train passing through Utah. I've heard from ex-Mormons that the church denied the massacre happened at all for a long time, and even now tries to downplay what happened whenever it's brought up.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To Fort Hall.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Fort Hall. We're going to California, remember. Unless water kegs can go bad, I think we'll need every keg we can for that leg of the trip, and more ridges mean more chances for things to go wrong.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Poil posted:

Um, why haven't we been robbed yet? Do we keep our money in our goony socks?

Because we have guns and are in a wagon train full of other people with guns, most likely.

Contrary to popular belief, the Wild West (which the Oregon Trail period is an early version of) wasn't particularly lawless or crime-prone.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Commander Keene posted:

The Wild1 West

1 Not a significant source of wildness

The classic Wild West period isn't until after the Civil War, whose start is still 11 years in the future from this particular trip. Like the age of knights and chivalry in England, or the era of samurai and bushido in Japan, the Wild West is a romanticized and largely imaginary period of the past inspired by a few famous and heavily mythologized incidents and fables.

I'm sure Chitoryu's more knowledgeable about the subject than I am, but from what I understand most violence in the Wild West were bar fights and shootings, not banditry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Water kegs, spare parts.

Seriously, guys. I know very little about this game, but I know there's plenty of desert between the Sierra Nevadas and Sacramento. We'll need as much water as we can carry.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
That was an anticlimax.

Still, kinda nice to see a run of Oregon Trail go as well as it possibly could have.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Did we even have anyone get sick, let alone maimed or killed?

A couple bouts of cholera, which goons intelligently treated.

And an ox got hurt once, but it recovered on its own.

I think it's just down to RNG, and the dice gods smiled on this trip.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

CirclMastr posted:

Everyone is so unhappy that I survived. Not exactly great for the ol' self-esteem here.

It's Oregon Trail. Losing is fun.