Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Can't believe I missed this thread for so long. It's slightly weird since OT5 is apparently OT2, but with bad cutscenes and the ability to forage for poo poo that will kill you(as opposed to getting generic 'you found some wild fruits/vegetables!' events).

On that note, harvest and eat everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

JustJeff88 posted:

What would be the ultimate difficulty settings to maximise points in this game? I'm only interested in the best possible points at the end without doing metagame challenge things like buying no food to start or loading up on clocks. I know that teacher is the profession with the least money but a 5x score multiplier and that the player doesn't want anyone to die, but apart from that I'm a bit muddy on what influences score.
You want to be a teacher going the longest route possible(as in distance from start city to endpoint) in the earliest year possible, going as fast as possible, while spending as little money as possible and keeping everyone alive and in good health. Also don't use any skill points & keep wagon train morale high. And supplies affect score in some nebulous way.

If you can accomplish all of those things at once you've probably played way too much OTII/5 for one lifetime.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
As tempted as I am to be a poo poo and shove more poisonous plants down his throat, we should just continue as usual.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Playing a bit of OTII, and I think I solved the mystery of where we suddenly got a bunch of money from.
Being a trail guide gives you bonus money($500 in OTII, probably similar/the same in 5), but you only get it after you leave your starting town. I assume it's meant to give you a reason to pick it other than bragging rights, since you gameover if you get fired.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender

Incidentally, I don't recommend taking a year & three months to reach your destination, having everyone in your party but you die(mostly of freezing to death, because you don't have matches to light fires with), and also get stuck in the Sierra Nevadas for months thanks to being snowbound/having to trade away all but two of your oxen for spare wagon parts & a length of chain(surprise, there is a mountain you literally can't get past without ropes or chains) and then having to trade away your remaining money so you have enough oxen to move again.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
90% of wagon train morale is stopping and resting. If you're snowbound, you're resting a lot, so of course everyone is happy with how you're running things. They're getting to take a really long break where they're definitely not freezing/starving to death themselves. You're showing them what a kind and competent leader you are! :downs:

On a completely unrelated note, apparently this is the difference between using ropes/chains and anchoring the wagon when going downhill:

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Rest here until the river freezes and we can just walk across it. That'll only take about 4 months, it's fine.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Eat. Everything.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Float on our merry way.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
Keep caulking and floating until we find something that's not a river.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Taco Defender
I guess the 'eat every plant we come across' strategy didn't convince them of our competency to lead. :(