Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Commander Keene posted:

Yeah, same here. I remember being excited whenever my teacher would break out the Apple IIs, because it meant that we got a break from listening to history lectures and got to play a computer game.

My nostalgia is for the first Organ Trail 2 version. The "sudden random event" noise is burned into my brain as a Pavlovian trigger to this day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Ferries are an excellent way to waste money now so we have tighter decisions to make at trading posts later.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I have faith the RNG won't screw us over on the very first hill like it did on the first river! Show no fear, and continue as normal!

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Covski posted:

I'm still curious, how would locking the wheels help you descend a slope? Unless you're hoping that friction alone will let your wagon more gently skate down the slope, I can't understand what the advantage would be compared to a more controlled descent by somehow controlling the speed by using those famous ropes/chains/anchors.

Maybe it works better in winter?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Commander Keene posted:

So what's with the thread's obsession with grandfather clocks? Is it an in-joke from some previous LP?

I think a mechanic also exists that makes the wagon more likely to tip during river and hill crossings if big useless furniture like the clocks are in there.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Vavrek posted:

What good will money be when we're off the trail? Take the ferry.

Three bucks now versus however much replacement bacon and canteens and such at some trading post? No question, Ferry.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I remember despising Great Salt Lake's heat and lack of water despite loading my wagon up with canteens, so Ft Hall to delay our inevitable death by dehydration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The thing that struck me about that run is that the least disease RNG I've ever seen in these games. A couple light bouts of cholera and that's it?

Yeah, bullshit. We need a disaster run to show all the ways this game can gently caress you with disease.