Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We should be '49ers, starting out in April of 1849, headed to Oregon to pan for gold in the Rocky Mountain foothills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

NGDBSS posted:

Seeing this in something other than 256-color graphics on an Apple II is going to be a trip.
Yeah, same here. I remember being excited whenever my teacher would break out the Apple IIs, because it meant that we got a break from listening to history lectures and got to play a computer game.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MagusofStars posted:

Same. Our elementary school only had two games total*, but it was always a delight in second grade to get to play some computer games rather than yet another lecture on state history or another quiz on addition/multiplication tables (do kids even learn these any more?).

*This, plus a game where you delivered pizza to like aliens using pulleys and stuff.
For my school, it was Oregon Trail and Number Munchers. Oregon Trail, despite (or perhaps because of) being absolutely brutal in difficulty, was more interesting to me than a game where you play as a number-eating space alien in search of food.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Number 2 looks vaguely blueberry-ish, so I suggest we keep that one. Other than that, I don't trust my own botanical knowledge enough to identify the others.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Let's see what locking the wheels gets us.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Yeah, we need a sitrep before we choose what to buy. Replacing food stores lost when the wagon tipped is probably a good idea, though.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Take the ferry.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

So what's with the thread's obsession with grandfather clocks? Is it an in-joke from some previous LP?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Vavrek posted:

What good will money be when we're off the trail? Take the ferry.
:emptyquote:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Poil posted:

Double-team and continue. Also push the oxen if it doesn't work.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Let's head to Fort Bridger and buy up all their water.

Cythereal posted:

Also kind of worth noting, for this run our protagonist has gunsmith as his occupation, so he or she makes at least one of those kinds of guns in that post. Coming late to the Gold Rush, they're probably intending to get rich selling guns to the new settlers in the boomtowns.
I find it amusing that my Oregon Trail namesake is a gunsmith, because my real-life knowledge of guns is only slightly better than "gun go boom and man fall down", and I've never even seen let alone held or fired a real gun of any kind.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Black Robe posted:

That's probably worth it, since we can replace that in a single hunt. (While leaving ten times the amount strewn across the landscape.)
Yeah, agree to the deal. We also picked up bacon at the last trading post, right? I don't think we're short on food.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Uh, I don't think waiting is a particularly wise course of action. I want to say that we should try another path, but I have a sneaking suspicion that would involve Salt Lake City. So we should try to move the rocks ourselves.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think we should try to cross it now. Wait for a day or two to see if conditions improve.

In fact, what is the "extremely treacherous" designation based upon? Is it solely river depth, or is it also dependent upon the weather or something else?

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Anchor the wagon. No sense in taking unnecessary risks.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We have water now, so as long as folks in the thread can avoid recommending the most suicidal course of action each time, we should probably go for the shortcut.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Cythereal posted:

Because we have guns and are in a wagon train full of other people with guns, most likely.

Contrary to popular belief, the Wild West (which the Oregon Trail period is an early version of) wasn't particularly lawless or crime-prone.
The Wild1 West

1 Not a significant source of wildness

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

queserasera posted:

When your wagon's full of whiskey, caulk and float.
When your wagon's full of whiskey, caulk and float
The expedition may get sicker
If you ford and lose the liquor
When your wagon's full of whiskey, caulk and float.
:hai:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Ropes and chains.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

UED Special Ops posted:

Ropes and chains worked on the last hill, it will work again.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Heir03 posted:

As much as it'd be funny to take the cutoff, I'd rather do this right. California Trail.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Food and spare parts.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Buy up any wagon parts they have. If something breaks that we can't fix, it could be disastrous.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Wait. We have plenty of time. But make sure to keep Dash running laps.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Immobilize it.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Slow down. We just got almost 200 lbs. of meat, so our food situation isn't as dire any more.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

We did Three Crossings last time. Time for the Deep Sand, whether or not we're prepared.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

This might be a good situation for locking the wheels?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think it's that unusual for grade school kids anywhere to come to strange conclusions about other countries. I could see a combination of national pride, American stereotypes, and just students not paying full attention in history class causing the misconception that the USA is some weird backwater full of cowboys who eat nothing but hamburgers.