Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Sir Kodiak posted:

Yeah, but they're recasting Morpheus with a younger actor for Matrix 4.

thats loving stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Maybe Ghost Trinity and Ghost Neo have to find and save reborn Morpheus?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Violator posted:

Eh, I might suggest that his mythology is based on his tenacity and not his skills of always winning. No matter what you do to him, he’s like the Terminator and keeps coming for you. When there is nothing left, he’ll use whatever it takes — like a loving pencil! — to kill you. The bad guy’s speech about him is all about him being a single and powerful force of will that accomplishes his goals iirc.

It's like how Mad Max is always very much a real person with human limitations, who also accomplishes massive, impossible things.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

And John Wick is that good, it's just that all the movies take place over the course of like a week of non-stop running, so by the time he's fighting the dudes from The Raid in Chapter 3, he's EXHAUSTED.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Lumbermouth posted:

And John Wick is that good, it's just that all the movies take place over the course of like a week of non-stop running, so by the time he's fighting the dudes from The Raid in Chapter 3, he's EXHAUSTED.

And I think the point is that Wick's specialty was never just going head-on into an army of guys and mowing through them, although obviously we've seen he's capable of that. Like Winston says, the thing he does best is "hunt", and I think the only time we truly see Wick in his element is Chapter 2 when he actually has a mission to perform and some time to prepare for it.

Like, I have no doubt that if Wick had a week to rest and prepare between Chapter 2 and 3, things would've gone down a whole different way but they're giving him zero time to breath and he's just improvising the best he can.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Plus the whole "run a marathon through the desert in a bulletproof black suit, then cut off your finger without the use of anasthetic, then HOP on a plane and get to murderin"

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Basebf555 posted:

And I think the point is that Wick's specialty was never just going head-on into an army of guys and mowing through them, although obviously we've seen he's capable of that. Like Winston says, the thing he does best is "hunt", and I think the only time we truly see Wick in his element is Chapter 2 when he actually has a mission to perform and some time to prepare for it.

Franco Nero's "Are you here for the Pope? :ohdear:" is also a nice touch. If Wick had said "Yes", Nero probably would have just sighed.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

Franco Nero's "Are you here for the Pope? :ohdear:" is also a nice touch. If Wick had said "Yes", Nero probably would have just sighed.

My immediate question after that exchange was "I wonder how many times he's had to ask that?"

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

El Gallinero Gros posted:

My immediate question after that exchange was "I wonder how many times he's had to ask that?"

Probably only to Wick, because presumably he’s the only one capable enough to pull it off.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
He also would've known that Wick was retired for years and so if he's all of the sudden back in the game and in Rome, the list of his possible targets is fairly short.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I found a funny webforum that talked about cool ideas for a John Wick spinnoff and some guy was feverishlypushing his theory that Willem Dafoe's character was AKSHULLY the dude who shot Kennedy

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Bust Rodd posted:

I found a funny webforum that talked about cool ideas for a John Wick spinnoff and some guy was feverishlypushing his theory that Willem Dafoe's character was AKSHULLY the dude who shot Kennedy

That'd mean Dafoe is like at a minimum 70 years old in John Wick so....I guess technically it could work? Dafoe does look very weathered.

Anyway he works for the CIA and seems to be known for his sniping skills so hey why not.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Willem Dafoe has looked 45 going on 65 since the loving Boondocks Saints, it makes more sense then fuckin “Jar Jar is actually a Sith Lord”

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
I hope JW4 is more like JW1, but I know it won't be. 1 is basically perfect, and I like the opening bit of 2, but after Santino shows up, it really loses me for the duration. That continues into 3 until Dacascos shows up and I appreciate the effort and staging of the final slugfest.

We'll see.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

AlternateAccount posted:

I hope JW4 is more like JW1, but I know it won't be. 1 is basically perfect, and I like the opening bit of 2, but after Santino shows up, it really loses me for the duration. That continues into 3 until Dacascos shows up and I appreciate the effort and staging of the final slugfest.

We'll see.

Yea the ship has sailed on that I'm afraid. I feel lucky in that I absolutely love the direction the series has taken but there's definitely a lot of people who enjoyed the more streamlined simplicity of the original and they're unfortunately being left behind as things get crazier and crazier with each sequel.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Yeah I'm basically interested in the action gags for JW4. Unless they do an Alien -> Aliens level reconfiguration of the basic premise I'm not actually interested in the plot or characters. The world has been revealed - it's not particularly interesting. John's characterization and relationships aren't particularly interesting. Winston's labyrinthine plots aren't interesting. We've had enough well-choreographed gun fights with cool lighting in baroque settings at this point - it needs something beyond that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I thought I preferred the JW1 pacing until I did a rewatch with all 3 and realized holy poo poo these get better with each movie, what was I thinking. I'm kinda all in on the craziness now.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I disagree. JW1, after the opening sequence, is just a constant barrage of momentum that just keeps going and going and then it’s over.

2-3 both have HUGE chunks in the middle where kinda nothing happens, nothing exciting anyway, because the movie needs time to LOREDUMP.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I found the whole hotel fight with the assassin chick up to Dafoe double crossing Vigo to be a slog. When I thought back on JW1, I thought of the home invasion, Vigo talking about the boogeyman, the club shootout, and Wick fighting Vigo in the rain. I had completely forgot about most of the middle portion.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
JW1 also has that Marilyn Manson music cue that feels like it was pulled straight out of the 90s.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Blast Fantasto posted:

JW1 also has that Marilyn Manson music cue that feels like it was pulled straight out of the 90s.

Killing Strangers is a really good song and JW1 uses it really well.

I kind of like that the first two movies have their own leitmotif, between Killing Strangers in 1 and Plastic Heart in 2 (and yes, I know Plastic Heart is partly based on a score track from 1, but 2 makes it the movie's full-on theme). 3 not having its own was a bit of a bummer, but also kind of makes sense, given they were probably trying to deliberately give it more specific aesthetic ties to 2.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s the full on theme in 1. It’s been the John Wick theme since the first scene of the movie.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

zer0spunk posted:

To bring it full circle, kinda looking forward to the xcom style john wick game coming out soon.

Whoa, what's this?

GigaPeon
Apr 29, 2003

Go, man, go!

ynohtna posted:

Whoa, what's this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0SZ0aU5fP8

Bust Rodd posted:

I disagree. JW1, after the opening sequence, is just a constant barrage of momentum that just keeps going and going and then it’s over.

2-3 both have HUGE chunks in the middle where kinda nothing happens, nothing exciting anyway, because the movie needs time to LOREDUMP.

Maybe that's my problem with 2/3. JW1 was a standard Mob Revenge Story with Magical Realism Hitman World sprinkled in for flavor.

Now it's like Harry Potter with hitmen instead of wizards hidden in plain sight from muggles and they have to stop to explain the gold coins instead of horcruxes.

GigaPeon fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 30, 2019

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

GigaPeon posted:

Maybe that's my problem with 2/3. JW1 was a standard Mob Revenge Story with Magical Realism Hitman World sprinkled in for flavor.

Now it's like Harry Potter with hitmen instead of wizards hidden in plain sight from muggles and they have to stop to explain the gold coins instead of horcruxes.

I love how over the top everything has become with the High Table and all the various factions, BUT one thing I really missed in Chapter 3 was the revenge aspect. Wick is a character who just mows through people without mercy, he's really not a good guy at all, and so I think giving him a bit of righteous anger that the audience can relate to was pretty crucial in the original(and to a lesser extent Chapter 2 as well, Santino blew up Johns house and caused him to lose all the mementos of his wife).

Chapter 3 is really just 100% an on-the-run story and so it was a little harder to root for Wick and fist pump when he does what he does. The fact that Keanu is the one playing Wick is really doing a lot of the heavy lifting there, it's very easy to root for him, but the dog being killed in the original was such a perfect way to allow the audience to be on his side despite knowing what he's done in the past.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
You’re not wrong, it’s just that 3 is in a really weird place where they’re basically laying groundwork for the inevitable conflict of John vs. High Table - it’s so clearly where they’ve wanted to go since the end of 2 but 3 mainly sags because it feels like a bunch of busywork that needs to get out of the way before they can do that. If 3 had the same budget as 1 or even 2 I’m pretty sure it would suck rear end, the thing that saved this movie was creative expensive poo poo like shooting in the desert, putting animals in fight scenes, fights on motorcycles, etc.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I actually like the idea that everyone is a secret undercover assassin engaged in some insane high level game. The issue I had with the third film is more that a lot of its runtime feels very redundant - everything from when Wick leaves NYC to when he comes back could've been skipped without any real consequence. I liked the sense of progression and purpose in the previous films more.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
John Wick has the weirdest collaborations.

Heir of Light is a gatcha game.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gacha_game

https://event.withhive.com/ci/heiroflight/pre_collaboration?lang=en&r=p3

:catdrugs:

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

And I thought the Fortnite tie in was weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8046Zzu5Gfk

Kids do actually know Keanu Reeves as "the Fortnite guy" though.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

John Wick's shadows gently caress me up.

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Grendels Dad posted:

John Wick's shadows gently caress me up.

That looks like Keanu crossed with Chris Hemsworth. They even missed the widow's peak ffs.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Finally seen it. Started to feel like a drag. I'm not sure I need another one, even tho I want to see that high table poo poo fall. Should have happened this movie, IMO.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Gotta have John Leguizamo’s mechanic back for the next one to finally deliver his fully repaired car.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It was so quaint that a major secondary character was a mechanic or Wick’s mentor once upon a time and not Prince Assassin of Marrakesh or someshit

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

weekly font posted:

It was so quaint that a major secondary character was a mechanic or Wick’s mentor once upon a time and not Prince Assassin of Marrakesh or someshit

I suppose the day to day work Wick did back then was pretty mundane compared to what we see in the movies where he's going up against people associated with the High Table. I feel bad for the regular mooks that crossed paths with him. When you imagine like a regular hit job where he's tasked with taking out some mob informant or something, he probably tore right through those people like they weren't even there.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

They kinda have to be careful with how they handle Wick's Celebrity Assassin status in the next movie. It already feels like Wick has killed all the criminals who did not know about him, and most of the ones who did, so the next movie better not have characters vaguely aware of Wick's background but still underestimating him. There has also been enough hyping of Wick by excited adversaries. The franchise is in a weird place now where the movies' real world popularity could turn Wick's fame into an eye-roller. Like, yeah OK, Wick has killed people with pencils, we know. They told us, then they showed us, so what now?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John Wick 4 needs a 25 minute single take fight scene that takes place entirely within a Home Depot

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bust Rodd posted:

John Wick 4 needs a 25 minute single take fight scene that takes place entirely within a Home Depot

It'll give a whole new meaning to "break room".

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Grendels Dad posted:

They kinda have to be careful with how they handle Wick's Celebrity Assassin status in the next movie. It already feels like Wick has killed all the criminals who did not know about him, and most of the ones who did, so the next movie better not have characters vaguely aware of Wick's background but still underestimating him. There has also been enough hyping of Wick by excited adversaries. The franchise is in a weird place now where the movies' real world popularity could turn Wick's fame into an eye-roller. Like, yeah OK, Wick has killed people with pencils, we know. They told us, then they showed us, so what now?

I think it made some sense in Chapter 3, just because of the money. These are high level assassins after all, should we be surprised that they'd want 15 million and that they'd also have the ego to think they could pull it off? Plus, Wick has been retired for years, there seems to be this assumption by a lot of people that he's vulnerable because he's lost a step. And I suppose he has, there have been several times where he would've been dead without help or good luck.

Chapter 2 I guess justifies it by just having the villain be a complete dumbass. Winston even says it directly do Santino, he's like "uhhh you burned down John Wick's house, what did you expect to happen you moron?"

But you're right though that it's wearing thin. I'm hoping the next one has Wick as more of an aggressor instead of just constantly on the run from people who don't seem to understand that the odds are very much against them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Violator
May 15, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

I really wanted to like those movies, but for some reason they just don’t consistently hit the spot like Wick does. If I remember right, the first one had too many side character tropes. Like his buddy at Home Depot was a misunderstood fat kid or something and I found it blah. I probably need to watch them again because I liked Washington‘s character a lot.