Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I rewatched 1&2 and still think 1 is a nearly perfect movie except for the boss fight in the rain and think 2 is a flawed middle child with some great fights but way too much Bowery. Common is so good but he’s just in and out of the film in such a weird way.

3 was awesome but the Laurence of Arabia poo poo was egregiously stupid. That dude just hangs out in a bedouin hookah lounge in the middle of the desert all day, calling all the shots globally? It’s just a deeply nonsensical bit of world-building that breaks down the film. I also felt like this film’s humor was tonally different and not for the better.

Halle Berry and her furry friends were extremely entertaining but that fight scene was weird because almost all of John Wick’s scenes are about moving forward and keeping a steady pace and that fight scene is like “kill 30 guys in this room, move to a new plaza, kill 30 guys in this room” and just felt way, way more staged than anything else in the series.

I really enjoyed getting John’s real name and seeing his upbringing a little was cool. My brother was a professional ballet dancer and sometimes he’d come home from training camp and literally just break down crying because he was so tired and exhausted mentally. He told me a story where he spent 8 straight hours just catching every woman in the company, and after every catch the teachers would tell the woman how many lbs to lose so his legs wouldn’t buckle, then scold my brother for buckling or flinching and assigning him x number of pullups//push ups as punishment. They really break you down mentally to turn you into a perfect dancing robot. He still points his toes perfectly 15 years later.

Winston definitely knows what’s going on, he could not have been less surprised when John’s body went missing.

The one poster who was like “JW4 better just be insane boss fights with Donny Yen and Clint Eastwood and Lucy Lui and Uma Thurman” is definitely the direction I’d want to take it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
We definitely also need the sweet bodyguard lady from Black Panther, the one with the shaved head and Vibranium spear. She was so good in a movie with the garbage editing and direction of Marvel, I’d love to see her doing some poo poo I’m JW4 where we can follow the fights and see what’s happening.

Basically we’re seeing that there are a number of assassin’s who fancy themselves to be John’s peers but we’re not seeing anyone who truly deserves to think that.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Discendo Vox posted:

I need to read this, where is it?

Literally, actually 3 posts above yours.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I really love the way people show deference to John through fear in 1 and sort of in 2, the way people are treating John like a party trick in 3 really turned me off.

I love the Raid and think those dudes are literally the Mozarts of Violence but any scene where someone could kill John and doesn’t rips me out of the films so fast I get whiplash.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Paragon8 posted:

It is interesting how little we see of the crime world outside of assassins. I think the most overt thing is the chop shop that leguizamo runs and the implication in JW1 and JW2 that the Tarasovs run a lot of stolen cars.

I guess maybe it'd be too dark if we saw human trafficking or drugs being moved?

The whole economy/logistics of the world has a great feel to it but it doesn't stand up to much scrutiny at all.

I mean what’s the difference between human trafficking and adopting orphans to become murder-rinas who nearly die in subservient violence for their criminal overlords? John and his roots is basically slavery, except he’s a hitman instead of a prostitute. I very much doubt any of the ballerinas or wrestlers could leave if they wanted to.

I also hate how the coins are worth anything. Clean up a dead body? 1 coin! 2 drinks at the bar? 1 coin! 3 nights stay in a 5-star Hotel? You better believe that is 1 Coin!

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I just watched JW2 like 3 days ago and we aren’t really given a sense of what Santino joining the table will do. It’s implied that it’s a dick move, certainly, but I imagine the High Table is basically in a constant state of musical chairs (but with murder instead of Pop! goes the Weasel). Also anyone who cares enough will just see “John Wick went to Italy, need Dinner Reservations for... 64” and be like “ugh I really hope that is not my problem”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
his life story is incredibly sad and its probably really hard for him to get close to people because he's been super famous his entire life and everyone he loves has died horribly

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah Brotherhood of the Wolf has some loving incredible action scenes but when you try to explain to someone that your favorite kung fu movie is about Sherlock Holmes hunting werewolves in Paris things get dicey.

I had no idea there was overlap with the John Wick films and BotW, but it makes a lot of sense, that movie was way ahead of its time in terms of action.

On the recommendation of this thread I watched Dredd 2012 and it’s above average but the total and complete lack of characterization on Dredd’s part made it really hard to pay attention. I know they can’t fill me in on 40 years of comics but he’s just like a really tough guy who loves the law? The psychic girl and the henchmen were really cool and had good chemistry, Dredd is just a Wick-Like, brutally proficient and observant and precise but I can’t tell you anything about the character at all.

Compare it to the opening 10 minutes of John Wick, with the dog and the doing donuts in his car, we get enough to empathize. I get that Dredd is not a film about empathy (until the very end maybe) but I really wanted maybe more humor or something, I dunno.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I understand Dredd is a faceless adjudicator, I just prefer movies that have human characters. Dredd was so competent I wasn’t ever scared for him like I am for the cops in The Raid. Like I said I put it at Above Average, I’d watch it again with some friends.

The action film it reminded me the most of actually was The Transporter because at least in 1&2 he has literally zero characterization besides Precision. He’s just an extremely tightly wound perfectionist, they set this up in like 5 minutes, and then he performs a ballet of impeccably choreographed violence. I didn’t mind his minimal characterization because Statham was still new and exciting at the time and because the action was very Proto-Wick, fewer edits and bigger focus on who was hitting who, etc.. The only thing I remember about 3 was they gave him a sexy redhead and him taking a bomb off his car with a crane during a stunt jump in mid air.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Dacascos saying “Zero loving John Wick and idolizing him and respecting him was easy to play because that’s how I feel about Keanu IRL” is like the most heartwarming thing I’ve think I’ve ever heard out of a Hollywood actor.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I haven’t seen a single kind word said about the scenes in the desert, pretty commonly viewed as a mole on an otherwise perfect buttcheek

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I misspoke, the Halle Berry Morocco scenes are good and Wick getting out of the city again was good for the movie.

The walking through the desert/bedouin tent poo poo is loving mega-bogus

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Celebrities have access to nutritional information and skin care that we won’t see for literal decades.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Keto is viable in the sense that it works, but not in the sense that it’s extremely difficult to maintain, and depending on where you live it can be prohibitively expensive.

If you’re at her level where you have personal trainers with fitness regimens on the calendar and private chefs and catering and you don’t have to think about it... it’s probably still pretty hard. I loving love potatoes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

For real, I'm honestly baffled at the reaction to the desert parts of the movie, you'd think it was Electroma or loving Gerry or something. John shows up, fights some dudes, talks to Halle Berry, meets a new guy, badass action sequence with dogs and guns, John meets the Elder, then goes right back to New York where he gets into a motorcycle sword fight. What is the god drat problem?

The problem is that everything you typed before “meets the elder” was extremely badass and propelled the plot forward without resulting in a complete brick wall to the film’s momentum.

Honestly JW2 suffers from this as well, I was surprised on rewatch by how easily I skipped the 15-20 minutes of Laurence Fishburne and the Bowery and it added basically sweet gently caress all to the plot.

The scene could have easily been “Halle Berry runs her own Hotel and has access to the high table and the elder because she’s whatever and then Elder is just the dude in the Moroccan castle. You cut 20 minutes of “John Wick: Assassin’s Creed” but the movie just keeps accelerating from dog fights to motorcycles to climactic hotel sequence, is a tighter movie, and leaves far fewer unanswered questions.

It’s just one character too many, imo

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I’m of the opinion that setting up storylines for movies that may not ever exist is bad filmmaking and enriching a franchise by weakening individual movies is how you get The Matrix: Reloaded and Revolutions.

But we live in an era where binge-watching ruined normal cinema consumption so now everything has to be a decade long super epic instead of just like a good way to enjoy 90 minutes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John Wick tickles the same part of my brain that all those stick figure Kung Fu memes did for me back when AOL was the only browser anyone used.

The artist XiaoXiao had like 8-9 of these and they got progressively crazier and higher quality until he started making basically a short action movie with stick figures and it’s still more or less the standard to which I hold basic combat cinematography.

HOLY poo poo I FOUND ALL OF THEM ON YOUTUBE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eplAQ3fEr8M

Time stamps in description because 4 & 6 are bad, watch 3 and skip to 7 if you just want the good stuff.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Jun 10, 2019

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Violator posted:

Isn’t one of the directors of Wick 1 directing the Hobbs & Shaw movie? I’m not too hot on that because it looks belly laugh dumb.

I saw JW3 the Tuesday morning after release and the theatre was packed. I was between an older couple and a couple my age but it was a great recliner seat. I had resigned to not laugh too loudly or go “Awwww dog no way NO WAY” like I always do but when the trailer for Hobbs & Shaw played and you watch The Rock DRAG A HELICOPTER TO THE GROUND WITH A TOW CHAIN I was inconsolable and just let out a knee jerk “A HA HA HAH NO WAY” and then a single beat and then the entire theatre just unloaded and we were still laughing halfway through that crazy bad trailer for the Morgan Freeman political thriller.

Like they literally dress up like Pacific Islander warrior and throw spears at drug dealers. In 2019. I cannot begin to imagine the writer’s room on this.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always took that to mean “no one can win a shoot out with John because he never misses, the only way to level the playing field is to get close to him.”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
See Also: Silenced Shoot-Out in Crowded NYC Airport

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I think it’s really important to point out that they haven’t so much “changed the game” as much as they just started listening to all their Asian fight choreographers saying “why do you guys over edit everything? Just like frame the action and light it so people can see what is happening”

Like action movies from the East have looked this good and been this brutal for over a decade, they just never got mainstream appeal. John Wick stands in such a stark contrast to Marvel style action and that helped it find its footing in our audience but it’s not exactly an innovation they can claim.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah but like we’ve seen already that numerous people can beat John Wick.

Like if the Russians in the beginning of the first movie hadn’t left any witnesses

Or if Willem Dafoe had just kept his contract

Or if the two ninjas in 3 hadn’t been so respectful

So the longer the franchise goes on the less mystical he becomes and the less believable him going to war with a bulletproof assassin army becomes.

If the entirety of John Wick 4 is just a single palace siege of John taking down the assassin’s table, I’m gonna be bummed.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Plus the whole "run a marathon through the desert in a bulletproof black suit, then cut off your finger without the use of anasthetic, then HOP on a plane and get to murderin"

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I found a funny webforum that talked about cool ideas for a John Wick spinnoff and some guy was feverishlypushing his theory that Willem Dafoe's character was AKSHULLY the dude who shot Kennedy

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Willem Dafoe has looked 45 going on 65 since the loving Boondocks Saints, it makes more sense then fuckin “Jar Jar is actually a Sith Lord”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I disagree. JW1, after the opening sequence, is just a constant barrage of momentum that just keeps going and going and then it’s over.

2-3 both have HUGE chunks in the middle where kinda nothing happens, nothing exciting anyway, because the movie needs time to LOREDUMP.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
John Wick 4 needs a 25 minute single take fight scene that takes place entirely within a Home Depot

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Denzel Washington is someone that drives me insane because I genuinely believe him to be an excellent actor but he is such a trash rear end action star and all of his action sequences come off as 100% editing.

I’ve seen almost ALL of them too, I think it was the Home (Alone) Depot movies that made me realize “wow I have never once bought that Denzel is really a badass”

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I always thought Denzel was one of those guys who was only in good movies but then he did that one about the CIA using a time machine to go back and stop a mid level politician from getting blown up and I was like “there has never been a dumber movie” and that was like 10 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Snowman_McK posted:

that was one of those really good ideas for movies that didn't quite work in the execution.

LoL he figures out its a time machine by using a laser pointer I almost turned it off right then.