Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

DalaranJ posted:

Can you dualcast any spells the character knows, or do they need to be red?

I think it's literally all spells the character has access to, like you can doublecast Syldra if you have !Summon equipped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
By default, Dualcast lets you cast Red Magic twice. If you have another magic skill equipped, you can Dualcast all of that magic in addition to Red3. This applies to Black, White, Time, Summon, and Sword Magic (oddly enough), as sadly Blue Magic can’t be Dualcast.

So the ideal situation is to give Dualcast to another magic job like Black Mage or Time Mage, or give it to a Mime with something like Time6 and White6.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

grieving for Gandalf posted:

I think it's literally all spells the character has access to, like you can doublecast Syldra if you have !Summon equipped

Yeah, this seems like the optimum use case. At least, if you don’t have access to mime.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games

DalaranJ posted:

Can you dualcast any spells the character knows, or do they need to be red?

!Red 3 comes for free (so White 3 and Black 3), but otherwise you need the magic skill equipped.

Also you can't !Dualcast !Blue, because Blue Mages don't need any more help anyway.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I started my run toward the beginning of the Fiesta but I forgot about it. Whoops! Gonna try to rush through this before the end of the month. First job was White Mage. I am glad I found that flail, slowly pinging things was not fun! Just got my second job and it's Berserker.

This is my first time through FF5 but I think this should be workable. Are there any jobs out of the next crystal that I should look to immediately replace if I roll those in combination with WMage/Zerk?

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
With that party all the fire jobs are just a matter of how much you're going to have to put up with zerk as your offense. Sandworm is going to suck regardless.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Rolled Ranger. Now I just have to find it...

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

You'll get it later.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
Is there a primer for beastmaster/tamer?

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Run 6 - Chaos No750 - Monk, Monk, Samurai, Mystic Knight - Complete!

I think this will end up being my final run of the summer. Got extremely distracted by real life and blew through the end of this one with just stupid powerlevels. Not interested in taking on either Shin or Omega with this group as it would be a whole lot of unfun nonsense!

Third summer in a row without a summoner, but at least it was my second summer in a row without a red mage.

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

chaoslord posted:

I started my run toward the beginning of the Fiesta but I forgot about it. Whoops! Gonna try to rush through this before the end of the month. First job was White Mage. I am glad I found that flail, slowly pinging things was not fun! Just got my second job and it's Berserker.

This is my first time through FF5 but I think this should be workable. Are there any jobs out of the next crystal that I should look to immediately replace if I roll those in combination with WMage/Zerk?

White Mage and Zerker is a really good combo actually so you're off to a good start! Ranger is crazy good if you grind it out so you're overall in a really good position for a first time.

I suggest looking at http://enkibot.herokuapp.com/ for advice, it's great for not missing essential things for a specific party.

The most important thing is to get deathsickles though because they are rad.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Man with Hat posted:

White Mage and Zerker is a really good combo actually so you're off to a good start! Ranger is crazy good if you grind it out so you're overall in a really good position for a first time.

I suggest looking at http://enkibot.herokuapp.com/ for advice, it's great for not missing essential things for a specific party.

The most important thing is to get deathsickles though because they are rad.

Yeah, Zerker likes any magic ability since it boosts stuff like the Gaia Hammer. White is especially handy since it also lets you use them as an out of combat healbot and conserve resources.

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 8, Chaos: Blue Mage / Mystic Knight / Time Mage / Beastmaster

This run started off with a good omen: I was actually assigned Time Mage (without having to Job Fair for it) for the first time in SIX YEARS that I've been doing the Fiesta. It took 45 drat runs to actually be given Time Magic instead of asking for it specifically, but it finally happened. :toot: Ironically I had to JF the other three classes away (originally assigned Zerk/Chemist/Dancer in those slots). So it goes!

This was another team I had some fun with, very solid all around and I can't recall a single boss giving me much difficulty. This group had a solution for pretty much everything.

Anyway, that's all I'm down for this year, actually one better than my usual total of 7. I mostly did this one to get this:

ultrafilter posted:

:toxx: time.

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

Run 1 (Advance Zerk Risk): White Mage, Zerk, and Samurai
Run 2 (Chaos): Thief and Chemist
Run 3 (Pure Chaos): Knight, Red Mage, and Dragoon
Run 4 (Random Fifth Job): Ineligible due to Fifth Job
Run 5 (Chaos): Bard, Ninja, and Black Mage
Run 6 (Random): Monk, Summoner, Dancer, and Geomancer (donated $8 to get the first three)
Run 7 (Popular): Ranger (donated $5)
Run 8 (Chaos): Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Time Mage, Beastmaster (donated $10 to get all but Time Mage)

All 20 regular jobs, $23 in total donated for Fairs. Fun times! And with that, I'm out for the season. See y'all next year!

Bufuman
Jun 15, 2013

Sleep in the briefing room.
At your own peril.
Oh, and while I'm thinking of toxxes, I need to discuss mine

Bufuman posted:

:toxx:
I hereby pledge to donate $2 on behalf of any player that complete a run with any duplicate jobs in any mode where it can happen (EXCEPT UPGRADE, I'm looking for honest luck-of-the-draw duplicates, though I'll also accept runs with dupes through the Job Fair), with a cap of $50. However, I'll add an extra $10 outside of the cap if any player completes a run with four of the same job (again, no Upgrade). I'd like to go with more, but sadly bills are kind of tight lately. But like Admiral Joeslop on his pledge, I may be willing to bump this number up if my finances improve before the last day of donations. Double up, people!

I haven't exactly been keeping a keen eye out, so here's who I have so far, if you've had duplicate jobs and aren't on this list, let me know. I'll probably comb through the thread sometime before donations are due just in case.

Myself (two Chemists)
Archenteron (QUADZERKS! $10 additional donation)
apophenium (two Mystic Knights)
ssmagus (two Ninjas)
Nasgate (two Thieves)
jaclynhyde (QUADZERKS!)
Kheldarn (two Samurais)
Poque (four Black Mages)

Either way not as many people on it as I would've thought. I guess these kinds of things are best thought up first rather than later. But I actually have a good idea for one next year, so hopefully that'll turn out better.

Bufuman fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Aug 19, 2019

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon

BisbyWorl posted:

Yeah, Zerker likes any magic ability since it boosts stuff like the Gaia Hammer. White is especially handy since it also lets you use them as an out of combat healbot and conserve resources.

Oh yeah, I didn't even think about the magic boost since I usually just underflow with Thornlet (SNES only thing but it's cool) but yeah, that's a neat bonus. I was just thinking that Zerker's biggest problem is they can't heal and WM biggest problem is they can't hurt so they complement each other pretty darn well.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Bufuman posted:

Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta 2019, Run 8, Chaos: Blue Mage / Mystic Knight / Time Mage / Beastmaster

This run started off with a good omen: I was actually assigned Time Mage (without having to Job Fair for it) for the first time in SIX YEARS that I've been doing the Fiesta. It took 45 drat runs to actually be given Time Magic instead of asking for it specifically, but it finally happened. :toot: Ironically I had to JF the other three classes away (originally assigned Zerk/Chemist/Dancer in those slots). So it goes!

This was another team I had some fun with, very solid all around and I can't recall a single boss giving me much difficulty. This group had a solution for pretty much everything.

Anyway, that's all I'm down for this year, actually one better than my usual total of 7. I mostly did this one to get this:

Run 1 (Advance Zerk Risk): White Mage, Zerk, and Samurai
Run 2 (Chaos): Thief and Chemist
Run 3 (Pure Chaos): Knight, Red Mage, and Dragoon
Run 4 (Random Fifth Job): Ineligible due to Fifth Job
Run 5 (Chaos): Bard, Ninja, and Black Mage
Run 6 (Random): Monk, Summoner, Dancer, and Geomancer (donated $8 to get the first three)
Run 7 (Popular): Ranger (donated $5)
Run 8 (Chaos): Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Time Mage, Beastmaster (donated $10 to get all but Time Mage)

All 20 regular jobs, $23 in total donated for Fairs. Fun times! And with that, I'm out for the season. See y'all next year!

Noted. I'll make the donation tonight.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Weird BIAS
Jul 5, 2007

so... guess that's it, huh? just... don't say i didn't warn you.
Well I'm done for the year I think. Ten runs, 5 triple crowns, 24 victories in total. Topped myself compared to previous years by a lot.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Kyrosiris posted:

You know what's stupid? The Brave Blade. You know what loving rules?

:black101: TWO RAGNAROKS :black101:

So I'm :toxx:ing a $5 donation (up to $50) for the first ten people who finish their fiesta with two fuckin' Ragnaroks. Get the first from Shinryu, get the second from stealing it from Neo-Exdeath, and then take a picture during the NED fight of either both equipped or both in your item list to count.

HARBINGERS OF THE DOUBLE APOCALYPSE:
*MagusDraco
*Procrastine
*1234567890num
*mp5
*Fenix Alheron
*Tergaso
*Fenrir
*Son of a Vondruke!
*AlphaKretin
*Ayudo

Oh. Well, poo poo.

Guess I'll throw $5 extra in to my toxx then.

Edit:

Edit edit:

Five runs, five triple crowns. A good year.

Admiral Joeslop fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 23, 2019

jaclynhyde
May 28, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

ultrafilter posted:

I decided last year that I wanted to try out all of the regular jobs in a single summer, and so I did it over the course of five runs. It was a blast, and now I want to encourage you to do the same thing. For everyone who uses all twenty regular jobs (i.e., those you have access to before world 3), I'll donate $20 and match your job fair expenses up to the total price of one of each job. Any kind of run is fine except for #fifthjob or some other mode that has you using more than four jobs in a single playthrough.

Done! My total job fair cost was $27 ($3 Red/Mon for #4, $9 Mys/Sam for #5, $10 Thf/Dan/Brd/Tim for #6, and $5 Chm for #7).

I also hit Mime and Freelancer, with a detour for Quadzerking; I used RNG to select which job I was switching out for repeats. The worst run was Kni/Ran/Nin/Geo, because there was no synergy and taking the Brave Blade meant I missed some of the most useful abilities. The other runs were all pretty fun, with Brd/Sam/Drg/Chm making for the most hilarious NED. I also got three triple crowns (one of which I screwed up submitting the victory, whoops) and one double crown on quadzerk. It was great and I'm happy to stop playing for a while!

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Rolled my final class, final party is White Mage/Beserker/Ranger/Chemist :toot: all the reading makes it seem like this wont be so bad. Onwards!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

chaoslord posted:

Rolled my final class, final party is White Mage/Beserker/Ranger/Chemist :toot: all the reading makes it seem like this wont be so bad. Onwards!
One Berserker is honestly fine, White Mage is great on its own, Ranger is pretty good on its own, Chemist is the most broken thing in the game, you've got easy mode.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

jaclynhyde posted:

Done! My total job fair cost was $27 ($3 Red/Mon for #4, $9 Mys/Sam for #5, $10 Thf/Dan/Brd/Tim for #6, and $5 Chm for #7).

I also hit Mime and Freelancer, with a detour for Quadzerking; I used RNG to select which job I was switching out for repeats. The worst run was Kni/Ran/Nin/Geo, because there was no synergy and taking the Brave Blade meant I missed some of the most useful abilities. The other runs were all pretty fun, with Brd/Sam/Drg/Chm making for the most hilarious NED. I also got three triple crowns (one of which I screwed up submitting the victory, whoops) and one double crown on quadzerk. It was great and I'm happy to stop playing for a while!

chaoslord posted:

If by "not that bad" you mean "I'm going to steamroll everything from here on out", then yes, you've got it not that bad.

In the pyramid, you're going to find a weapon called the Gaia Hammer. Give that, Hermes Sandals and maxed out White Magic to your Berserker. Then during the first phase of the final boss fight, have your Chemist hit them with Elemental Power, Dragon's Kiss, and enough Dragon Power to get them up to level 255. Have your White Mage hit them with Blink, Protect and Shell. You'll then have an absolutely unstoppable engine of destruction that can pretty much solo the rest of the fight.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Wow. I did some light reading around chemist but didn’t realize how insane it could be. Yeah seems like I really lucked out for my first playthrough. Thanks for the advice! I’ll keep an eye out for those items.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

chaoslord posted:

Wow. I did some light reading around chemist but didn’t realize how insane it could be. Yeah seems like I really lucked out for my first playthrough. Thanks for the advice! I’ll keep an eye out for those items.

You may find this of use.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

You may find this of use.

In a standard playthrough the big ones you'll be using are Potion+Phoenix Down, Turtle Shell+Maiden's Kiss, and Antidote+Holy Water. There are certain fights where the defensive mixes are good and a handful of fights you'd want a Death Potion for, but for the most part, treat !Mix as "full revive, superdrain, levelbuff".

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Speaking of Chemist, I have one again this year but I've been kinda stonewalled by Omega because I have the perfect way to permalock him into not moving, but I'm not sure how I can really whittle him down in a way that won't take forever. I've got Ninja/Bard/Chemist/Beastmaster. Are there any good ways to do actual high damage to Omega with this setup (with three characters dedicated to calm/song locking him) that aren't just an incredibly long run of Succubus Kiss spam?

I know I can do Shinryu without much issue with this team but if there is a simpler way to do Omega that won't take me not messing up the calm/song cycle for like 40+ minutes I'd appreciate the advice. My Ninja, Beastmaster and Bard are the ones who have the way to stunlock him forever currently for the record.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Feed Omega some soup before you start kissing him.

E: Also lightning scrolls exist.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Didn't someone come up with some nutty way to Magic Sword the basic Thunder spell by mixing something with nothing? Give that to your Ninja and you'll probably have semi-decent damage output.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Feed Omega some soup before you start kissing him.

E: Also lightning scrolls exist.

Do scrolls actually pierce his defense enough to be worth going back to stock up on? I admit I figured they'd be super negligible against him even if he is weak to lightning.

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Overlord K posted:

Do scrolls actually pierce his defense enough to be worth going back to stock up on? I admit I figured they'd be super negligible against him even if he is weak to lightning.

Elemental weaknesses ignore defenses entirely.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Cattail Prophet posted:

Elemental weaknesses ignore defenses entirely.

Well goddamn I guess I'm talking a walk out of the void later :v:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, a Lightning Scroll with Elemental Power mix from your Bard will do 8 * (120 * 1.5 * 2) = 2880 damage.

E: And if you go through the effort to get a Staff of Judgement (rare steal from Istory Lythos in world 3) you can have your Chemist use it to dispel Omega's innate Shell and hit for 17 * (120 * 1.5 * 2) = 6120 damage.

Kyrosiris fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Aug 24, 2019

1234567890num
Oct 6, 2017

Isn't Omega's innate Shell permanent? I tried using Ramuh before and after using Dispel on Omega and both have identical damage output.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

1234567890num posted:

Isn't Omega's innate Shell permanent? I tried using Ramuh before and after using Dispel on Omega and both have identical damage output.

I was under the impression it's not based on the wording:

pre:
INITIAL STATUS: (Always) Wall, Shell, Stop
but I haven't actually tried a Dispel in a while.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Thanks for the advice on those scrolls guys, it took a good while but with some boosting I locked Omega in place and threw scrolls at him until he sploded. Using my bard definitely saved me a lot of time with that as well I'm sure. This is my first year actually getting a triple crown on a run, glad I finally sat down to finish it off. :toot:

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Howdy folks.

Kinda fell off my own playthrough over the summer, but I've been keeping up with the thread, tracking any takers for my berserker drive. Unless I missed somebody, the current list is as follows:
  1. Nasgate - 2 berserkers!! ($5)
  2. Some Guy TT - 2 berserkers!! ($5)
  3. Asterid - 2 berserkers!! ($5)
  4. Archenteron - 4 berserkers!!!!!!!! ($125)
  5. Jaclynhyde - 4 berserkers!!!! ($50)
Let me know if I missed somebody!

I'll be making my donation on the 29th (I can never remember if the fiesta ends on the 30th or after the 30th), so that's three days left for anyone masochistic enough to try and win a bit more of my money.

Serene Dragon
Mar 31, 2011

ultrafilter posted:

If you're going to do this, I suggest that you plan ahead a bit. This is going to take at least five runs, and you don't want the last one to be something like Monk/Berserker/Geomancer/Dragoon.

Edit: Since it's come up a couple times, I want to add that there's no requirement to do this in only five runs. I just did that because I didn't want to play more than I did.

Just finished my 8th and final run. I wanted to do this challenge and finally managed it (I didn't do any runs with 5th job):

I job faired in Knight, Geomancer, Chemist and Beastmaster for a total of $10:

https://twitter.com/SereneDragon3/status/1156734578339516417?s=20

https://twitter.com/SereneDragon3/status/1160297601335463936?s=20

https://twitter.com/SereneDragon3/status/1149157594671603712?s=20

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I very nearly did the Quadzerker Sandworm hellgrind for a third time before my good fellow goons in the Discord convinced me to at least check to make sure my Earth job wasn't something I could swap in. I got Mystic Knight, hallelujah! I might finish a run this year after all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh i never bought blink...guess i'm not killing shinryu...

oh never mind i'm using an old rom that labels it as "image"...

Relin fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 27, 2019