Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I finally got around to playing this after not playing since pre-Going Rogue and hell yeah, Homecoming is amazing!

Is there anything I can read to get a feel on the relative power level of different powersets or when/where they should be used? A lot of things are different from how I remember and there are so many powersets now I'm getting choice paralysis. I've been leveling a Demons/Pain MM (/pain on an MM doesn't seem like a great choice because it's all short range and MM is so squishy), a rad/rad brute that owns but has END problems, and a plant/plant controller that is pretty dang fun. But I like having dozens of alts to swap around between in this game.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Apr 17, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Is Blaster sustain good enough to actually use Martial Combat's melee attacks? Can I realize my dream of an Energy/Martial Blaster Goku?

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 18, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Oh my god the name Goku was even available. This is it. Thanks all :tipshat:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Even a decade later the absolutely incomprehensible players are still the best part of this game :allears: Here is the entire chat from an AE group I joined for one mission:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

lol that guy has been running that same gimmick for years

I kept reading everything he said in the chip-modulated voice of an announcer from a mid-90s arcade game.

"DID A MOSQUITO SAY GOODBYE??"

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I ended up as a Dual Pistols/Devices blaster instead:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Fearless_Decoy posted:

Oh hey, that emotional support chicken you teamed with last night? That was me.
I have at least 3 blatant Muppet characters and a Supergroup that I'm shocked haven't been generic'd by now.

I suspected that group might include some goons, you were all having too much fun to be pubbies :kiddo:

Mesadoram posted:

Fantastic name for them :unsmith:

:tipshat: It was either that or Cappin America but I was originally planning to make a bow blaster so Glockeye seemed more appropriate.

e: I made Cappin America a Radiation/AR Defender instead but that name actually feels too on the nose to play

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 22, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

MREBoy posted:

ok so something I've been wondering about occasionally is why hasn't NCSoft gone full scale C&D carpet bombing on any of the publicly available for play CoH servers ? Homecoming is pulling in 4.5 - 5k $$$ in donations a month to run their setup and Rebirth, while smaller, is still spending 1.5k or so every 6 months. I can get it from a strictly $$$$ POV in that anyone they sue is not exactly going to have enough $ they can recover to even pay for 15 minutes of their law firms time. But knowing how some copyright stuff works in that you have to protect your IP or lose it and/or any potential ego related stuff by humans @ NCSoft makes me go :crossarms: .

Copyright gets complicated.

They can't sue for damages, because there are no damages: CoH is not currently active, and NCSoft is not losing any potential subscription revenue due to the existence of private servers - damages are only measured in "lost market value". Also, the damages have to happen explicitly at the time of infringement, so they could not claim that these servers are reducing the market value of e.g. a potential City of Heroes 2, at least until CoH2 is actually released. They could instead sue for statutory damages, but in order to sue for statutory damages you have to prove willful intent.

To sue for statutory damages, the copyright holder has the burden of proof to prove that the infringer willfully infringed their copyright - they have to prove (through e.g. admission in documented communication) that the owners of the server knew that they were infringing copyright. So "I'm sorry, I thought I was allowed to do that because the game is no longer available on the official servers" would be a valid defense unless NCSoft could definitively prove that the server admins knew otherwise. If the court ruled in favor of that defense, the statutory damages reward can be as low as a $250 fine. Even if they do prove willful infringement, since they would be suing for statutory damages instead of actual damages, the maximum they could sue for would be $150,000 - which would not be worth their costs in court.

Criminal penalties can only come into play in copyright cases when the suit is for actual damages, not statutory damages.

So the only benefit to them pursuing legal action currently would be shutting the server down - it would cost them more than they would win in the suit. And like Flesh Forge said, that would accomplish nothing except earning ill will from the community. And if they ever do release an actual CoH2, it's unlikely that CoH1 private servers would lead to any actual loss in market value, if anything they'd make people want to try CoH2.

(not a lawyer but I read about copyright law often)

e: It gets even more difficult for NCSoft because the server admins would be able to make a reasonable case that any donations they received could be attributed to factors other than original authorship; such as their continued development, or their continuation of the live service that the copyright holders abandoned.

So the tl;dr is it's futile to do if the original game can no longer be played unless you're actively using the IP for something else. This doesn't really apply to other industries like movies because the old movie is always available, even if it's not on streaming, so in those cases they will always be able to sue for actual damages.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Apr 26, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I didn't even catch that the HC team is a NPO - that essentially excludes them from ever being sued for actual damages in copyright infringement. If the infringer is a member of an NPO and they have reasonable grounds for believing that the work falls under Fair Use (even if it doesn't), it's automatically dropped to Statutory Damages.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I like the concept of a Storm/Storm defender (using the weather to assist allies) but since Storm Summoning is largely offensive (e.g. debuffing defense/resist, enemy-targeted toggles) I feel like the combo would suffer on a Defender - is there any mechanical advantage to playing that combo as a Defender rather than a Corrupter that could better take advantage of the defense debuffs itself?

e: Though on second thought Electrical Affinity + Storm Blast is probably a less obnoxious combo for melee in the team (Storm has all those knockbacks) and has more incentive to play a Defender

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Apr 28, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Potsticker posted:

-=( How to Speedrun a New Character )=-

This post was very helpful.

I started playing after the event so I didn't get to powerlevel in easily-accessible groups like that but here's the fastest method of solo leveling I've found, at least up to level 40 so far. It's not very exciting but this is very fast, and accessible to any at/powerset/level/build.

1) Set your group notoriety settings to:
Enemy Level +1
Solo AVs as Elite Bosses

2) Go to any AE building and search for "Meinst" (or "solo powerlevel")
There should only be one mission found:

This mission scales you down to level 3, then gives you access to an absurdly powerful buffbot NPC and a room with 16 level 4 Elite Bosses. When you first enter you'll see a big green flame - that's the buff NPC. Go to them first (avoiding pulling aggro as much as possible) and stand still for a few seconds while they buff you. Then start killing. You get +1 Elite Boss exp for every kill, and with just 3-4 attack powers to cycle through you kill them all very fast (the NPC gives you Speed Boost so with 3 attack skills there's virtually 0 downtime), and you're entirely safe because of the buffbot. If you're running a character that's aoe-heavy by level 6 (e.g. spines/fire brute) you can pull all 16 elite bosses at once.

The only thing I've found that gives experience faster than this, is full 8-person level 54 mission teams letting you tag along at a lower level. This is faster than any of the AE farms I've joined as a sitter - though it's possible I've only joined slow ones.
(Edit: Okay a fast fire farm is waaaaaay faster than this)

However it only works solo, as soon as you add other people in the exp split really slows you down (the buffbot only buffs one person)

e: Also, standard disclaimer that boringly farming an AE mission to 50 isn't necessary in CoH and all that.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 06:49 on May 2, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I've been experimenting with various ways to level fast:

If you make a rad/fire brute you can start fire farming by like level 12. This isn't particularly fast though. Multiboxing and dragging an alt along isn't very efficient until your main farmer is 50.

If you have a level 50 with Incarnate level shifts, you can powerlevel an alt pretty easily by doing high-level missions in Dark Astoria (Ephram Sha has repeatable missions). The pulls aren't as big as fire farm packs but you get +2 level shift bonus against them that you don't get elsewhere, so even a relatively ungeared 50 can do this and it's pretty fast.

Joining level 54 PI radio missions is the first and easiest way to get a grip of exp on a new character in a team. This is my go-to option whenever available because other setups are either slower, more work to play, or hard to get into.

Joining a farm as a sitter can be incredibly fast (if you know a farmer and get a lucrative sitter spot on a team full of hitters) or pretty slow (someone solo farming leeching several sitters) but it's always fairly hands-off - at most whoever's running it will request that you stay active in chat or something to stick around. It's overall very hard to get in on farm teams unless you befriend a farmer, though.

Once you hit level 35, everything changes, because that's when you become eligible for ITF. You can use the LFG tab of the chat window to queue yourself up solo for it ("Time's Arrow") to get a free teleport to Cimerora, bypassing the need to unlock the Midnighter badge. The next step is getting on a group for it - it's generally not too hard to make one yourself, and they appear in chat fairly often because it's a phenomenal TF for exp farming at 50.

One run of ITF (with double XP boost) is likely enough to get you from 35-45 (assuming you convinced a level 50+ team to let you tag along), and at level 45 MLTF opens up which should take you to 50 in one run (again, with double xp boost). You may need to double down on one of those or fill in some PI radio missions or something to get a few final bubbles to 50. Ironically, level 35-50 is often the fastest part of the process if you can quickly get in groups.

Then one more run of ITF at level 50 should be enough to unlock your first 3 Incarnate slots and get you close to 3 vet levels, and vet level 3 will give you everything you need to get your Alpha T3 and get that +1 level shift and at that point you're pretty powerful and self-sufficient. You can alternatively run Dark Astoria mission arcs instead because they reward Incarnate Salvage pieces, and you can repeat the Heather Townshend arc in Ouro to farm an infinite amount of incarnate components this way.

e: For what it's worth I've been able to casually amass a few hundred million inf in 2 weeks of playing with no farming characters. Doing TFs is a huge money-maker - like this week Citadel is the weekly TF. Level 25 minimum, most of it can be skipped via Team Transport spam (if your team has a bunch of them), and with the weekly bonus it will give you 80 Reward Merits the first time you run it on each character this week. Those 80 reward merits buy you 16 Enhancement Boosters which is 16 million inf for a sub-30-minute TF that you can repeat once for every level 25+ character you have. And that's on top of any inf or recipe drops you get along the way.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 9, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Tabletops posted:

im a weirdo who enjoys the leveling process and likes to twink the poo poo out of alts so farming is/was very appealing to me so i could feed that addiction (making new characters)

I'm the same way, and I've been working on 3 farmers across 3 accounts to eventually multibox them and then I can powerlevel whoever too

p.s. someone please help me get my main rad/fire farmer to 50 it sucks to play outside of farms and isn't strong enough to farm yet :kiddo:

future edit: Actually now at level ~35 with prestige enhances stuck in my damage auras my fire farmer can easily level himself :dance:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:23 on May 11, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

There's a quirk with the AH and enhances where if you take any given enhancement on the AH, like Luck of the Gambler recharge, the prices and sales data listed (including the number listed/number of bids) are for any level of that enhance, not only for the level you're looking at. But actual transactions only happen with the level you're looking at.

In theory the lower level ones would be listed cheaper, but since they're generally listed based on a price comparison against last 5, they all get listed/sold at roughly the same price, which makes the lower level ones not much cheaper than level 50s unless you get lucky, they'll be maybe 1-2m less than the level 50 average in general.

e: I think Catalyzed (level-less versions listed at lvl1 on the AH) enhances have different price data than their leveled counterparts fwiw but are generally about the same price as a level 50 or a bit higher (and they're weaker than level 50s)

e2: Place low-ish bids on level 31 IOs for the lowest prices. They get crafted/converted/listed en masse. A bid of ~1-1.25m for virtually any level 31 IO that isn't a very valuable one (e.g. LotG) will probably go through eventually, and you can get the LotG tier ones for around 4m each at 31.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 13, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The Cheshire Cat posted:

The thing about end management is that a lot of people think it's toggles that are eating all their end, but it's not; it's the regular attacks. Putting end redux in them as well helps but the big killer is having a lot of +recharge, which IO-heavy builds tend to have. There's a bit of a tipping point when doing your final build where your end situation gets a lot worse before it gets better, because it tends to be easier to get global recharge buffs than global end redux buffs. Once you get purples in things it's less of a problem because slotting a full set gives a huge amount of end redux for that power, but how many purple sets you can slot varies depending on your AT/powersets. Really the best option is to just make friends with someone who can give you +recovery buffs.

I learned this lesson recently on my savage/bio brute. A single attack's end cost can be the equivalent of running a high-cost toggle for a full 40-50 seconds and I'm pressing that attack every 3-4 seconds. Running a single end redux crafted IO in each attack and slotting one purple set for global end redux eliminated all of my end problems allowing me to save all 3 of my cooldowns as panic buttons (/bio is a very good set but it's bad for me personally because I hate using medium-long survival cooldowns when they're not needed for survival to get their 'all the time' type buffs like recovery so I had to slot it to be playable without any of the 3 defensive cooldowns running before it felt good to me ugh)

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Soonmot posted:

Yeah basically I was curious if 3 recharge IOs were going to be enough. I started a new plant/nature controller and having 4 minute recharge times blows.

The grin face is the best and I don't understand why everyone doesn't use it all the time, especially with the Death Mask Eyes or Bug Eyes.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't have a link but I slapped one together in-game haphazardly today. Rad/Fire brute or Fire/Rad tank. You get 90% fire resist with just 1 or 2 +resist enhances in your defensive powers so focus on set bonuses with fire defense (sirroco's, aegis off the top of my head, the 2 resist uniques that give +3% defense, etc)

You don't need sets at all as long as you don't mind converting and popping 2 small purples or 1 medium purple all the time, once you get sets you can switch to reds.

Turn on all your toggles then pull enemies and press your aoes. Use the fire Build up -> fire AoE -> rad Buildup -> rad AoE -> rad punches (which all become AoEs on contaminated targets) -> repeat.

e: Also a huge tip for pulling in a (solo) AE farm: Your goal is just to get enemy attention and move on, but don't move too far. Jump around and get some groups' attention, then just stand still and start killing. There's no need to break line of sight or anything like that. There's a maximum number of targets that can be engaging you in melee range, as you kill the enemies in melee, the ones throwing ranged attacks will run up to replace them. It took me a while to realize how easy it was and before that I was overexerting myself trying to LoS them and round them all up or whatever. I like the Shiva/Meteor map because it packs everything so close together that you only need like 3 killzones to clear the whole map.

e2: My current setup at level 44 (can easily solo +4 fire farms) - this is absolutely not optimized or ideal, just something I slapped together cheaply that works well:

Scirocco's Dervish (5pc) x4
Aegis (3pc) x2
Touch of the Nictus x1 (unnecessary, but the accuracy/health/end/healing is pretty nice)
Mocking Beratement (5pc) x1 (this could easily be replaced with another Scirocco's but Contained Strike takes taunt enhances and this was a cheap large fire defense set bonus)

+3% def enhances from Gladiator's Armor and Steadfast Protection

2x LotG 2piece (including global recharge) - not necessary

That puts me at 36.97% Fire Defense which is enough to not need purples. Everything else is a plain crafted IO. Total price is approximately 50-70mil.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 17:54 on May 15, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's unfortunately just kind of level 50 CoH in a nutshell. I've been playing a lot for the past couple weeks and I love the hell out of this game but level 50 stuff isn't as fun as it used to be back before incarnates and IOs and it's largely because any kind of support or utility feels mostly unnecessary.

I have a Time/Rad defender that I love and enjoy playing. It's incredibly strong at what it does, and it has two things it does incredibly well: making sure that allies connect all of their attacks, and making sure that enemies do not connect any of their attacks. It's even great for carrying level 50s through level 54 content.

The problem is once it starts teaming with level 50+1s with even a couple sets slotted who, for the most part, cap their own defenses and accuracy. Suddenly all of those buffs become useless and the only things I'm there for are (1)Chrono Shift which is a great recovery/recharge buff but a long cooldown pbaoe and (2)Stacking -regen or -res on AVs.

Defenders were a whole lot more fun back in the day when Hamidon was top tier content, and it sounds like the same deal with controllers - power scales so high that everything dies before CCs can reasonably be cast and there are never any threatening enemies that need to be mezzed (outside of the one or two things that can only be damaged while held)

It doesn't help that you can go from Fresh 50 to full tier 3+ Incarnates in one or two afternoons of running KM ITF and Tinpex and that you can fully slot yourself out in set IOs with ~10m seed money and a couple hours spent crafting, converting and selling enhances :v: it's nice that powering up at 50 is accessible, because I wouldn't want to spend weeks grinding on every 50, but it also means the median power level is "highly overpowered"

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 16:25 on May 16, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I think CoH was way ahead of its time, it came out at a time when MMOs were trying to determine what "endgame" meant exactly and even though they clearly understand peoples' love for cosmetics in CoH, I don't think they really understood peoples love for cosmetics yet. If level 50 content was an endless treadmill to unlock new account-wide costume parts, alternate animation sets for powers, big fancy emotes, etc. people would eat it up. An endgame grind doesn't have to include any power scaling at all!

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I saw someone in general chat tonight talking about how they ran the #3 ranked guild on live and I chuckled at the idea of anything in City of Heroes, especially live, having been challenging enough for there to be rankings.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It might be fun to make a Regular Supers SG full of characters that use no sets or incarnates. Some stuff like Apex and Tin Mage would be interesting since they give you a -4 level malus if you don't have an Alpha, so a group of Regulars would effectively run it at +8 and need some good ol' fashioned buff stacking and stuff

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

So I've taken a bunch of characters to 50 now and here are some min/maxing tips I've picked up for anyone who cares, though of course you don't need to min/max in CoH

1) Resistance-based defenses should only be taken on Brutes and Tanks. They are the only classes with resistance caps above 75%, other ATs with resistance-based defenses (like a Dark Armor Sentinel or Scrapper) will always be fairly squishy, even with their resists capped. That being said they're very strong on Brutes and Tanks (which get 90% caps, Tanks might even get 95%) especially when combined with a few Defense buffs from your team.

side note: Mathematically Tankers are pretty much just worse brutes in every case except for farming, where it's really up in the air because that's the only place you'll constantly be taking advantage of a Tanker's increased aoe caps, and a lot of your damage as a farmer comes from procs on aoe aura toggles which are weird about PPM rates and essentially more targets means more procs per minute. They have the advantage in survivability, but Brutes become effectively invincible anyway so it's moot.

2) For defense-based defenses there are two kinds: Positional (Melee/Ranged/AOE) and Typed (specific damage types). Defensive sets offer one or the other: Ninjutsu, Super Reflexes, and Shield Defense provide Positional defenses, and all other (I think?) defense sets provide Typed defenses. Positional sets are straight up better because they provide defenses that work against all damage types. Typed defense sets will always run up against some enemies who punch right through their defenses.

The TL;DR so far is that if you are playing an AT that chooses an armor set and you are not a brute/tank, shield/ninjutsu/super reflexes are your only min-maxed powergaming choices, but the other defense sets are fine too (and much better than Resist).

3) When an attack is made, only the highest applicable Defense is applied and the others are thrown out (e.g. if you have 45% melee defense and 50% negative defense, a dark melee attack will roll against your 50% negative defense). So don't mix and match positional and typed defense. Don't chase positional set bonuses on a character with typed defenses or vice versa.

4) Some people will tell you that there's a 45% softcap for defense and you should ignore these people. The 45% 'softcap' is the point where even-level minions only have a 5% chance to hit you. You will most likely never fight even-level enemies at 50, and most of your time will be spent fighting non-minions. The only true "cap" to defense is 95%, and the higher your defense is the more valuable each point becomes. Adding 1% Melee Defense when you already have 90% reduces the damage you take by 10% overall and this is especially potent because Defense does not have diminishing returns, a flat 1% from a set bonus is always a flat 1%.

5) So this is part of what makes some winter sets so valuable: they have a lot of defense on them - some of them have typed defense and some of them have positional defense. You can either make up for gaps in coverage on your Typed defense set or you can push your Positional defenses much higher. The only number I know off the top of my head is that the Ranged AoE winter set's purple version gives 7.5% fire defense at 6pieces, which is an enormous increase given point #4. These sets are primarily why positional defense is so much better than typed: you only need to chase 3 positional defenses in sets.

edit: Worth noting that there are some attacks that have weird tags which positional defenses will not work against because they don't have any positional tags, but they're very rare and usually the kind of thing you're meant to avoid anyway (like Battle Maiden's blue lightning patch)

e2: And for the record I think Dark/Shield scrapper is the strongest thing I've played. Dark Melee is a very strong set where every single skill is an attack (and can therefore crit), including your build up, which is also unique for dark melee because you get one stack of it for each enemy it hits (and it's a pbaoe), meaning it can give you larger damage buffs than any other scrapper set's build up and the interplay between that and Crit leads to some enormous 1500+ damage punches. And it applies lots of -tohit debuffs to enemies (every single attack!) which combined with your general-purpose positional defenses from shield means you can tank pretty much anything in the game, and Shield gives you a nice damage buff that also plays well with crits.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jun 9, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Flesh Forge posted:

in teams this is emphatically not true at all, you are essentially always able to be hitting 16 targets and almost all sets have a 16 target large radius AOE with a cooldown of below 5 seconds. they also lowered the level req for power picks so this will be available at 28 at the latest.

At the damage cap the tanker can hit 16 targets with a maximum damage cap of 400% for 6400% maximum damage on an attack. A brute can hit 10 targets at a theoretical damage cap of 700%, for 7000% damage on that same attack (against a lower number of targets).

Brutes passively get ~190% damage from Rage so if you assume zero other damage buffs the brute does (10*2.90)=2900% damage while the Tank does (16*1.0)=1600% damage.

There's a brief range of external damage buffs where the Tank does more damage than the Brute (Roughly 300%-400%) but outside of that range the Brute does mathematically more damage with the same attack. But none of that is taking procs on enhances into account so maybe that changes things up (they are definitely a better value for tankers than brutes). And the Brute has the capacity to scale beyond that point with enough buffs/insps, while the tank does not. Also maybe 300-400% is about where most teams end up, I have no idea

(But both are so strong that this effectively does not matter in practice)

e: The tanker is unequivocally better for farming because the increased target cap (as far as I have been told anyway - my farmer is a brute) also affects how many enemies can run up into melee range of you meaning that you get bigger/faster pulls for clearing groups faster, but in group content you have several players for enemies to run into melee range of so there's effectively no cap.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Jun 9, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I don't definitively know how it works so I'm not saying you're wrong, but there has to be more to it than a -range debuff on taunt auras.

I can turn my taunt auras off and stand in one group while another group shoots at me:

(There are more than 10 enemies adjacent to me in this picture, so enemies from the far group are stationary)

Then enemies from the far group trickle in one-by-one as I kill the nearby enemies once I get down below 10 in melee range:

(There are 7 living enemies adjacent to me in this picture and 3 more running toward me)

This same behavior happens on my other ATs like Sentinel and Scrapper.

Everything I know about it is just an assumption from interacting with it in this way so I'm sure some of it is wrong, and I don't have a Tanker myself to test if they get bigger pulls with. I asked in the help channel once if Tankers could pull more enemies at once this way and was told yes, but the help channel is often wrong so :shrug:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jun 9, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I wish there was a better source of numbers for this game because I took my percentages off the homecoming wiki :argh: I will concede on Tankers vs Brutes. But also, what 80% fury cap for brutes? My brute hovers pretty consistently at 95% fury with the +fury ATO proc. Do people not use that usually?

Nonexistence posted:

Post yer dm/shield scrapper build!

I haven't even dived into optimizing this build yet but it has felt absurdly strong anyway, I just lazily stacked sets for +positional defense (Haven't done hardmodes on it though)

The only non-standard thing I did with Incarnates is Diamagnetic interface because I felt like my damage was high enough already and -tohit/-regen is a nice debuff proc for this character.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jun 9, 2023

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Well that's new :ohdear:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Excelsior LFG chat is like a nonstop barrage of groups in the evenings/primetime and that includes a lot of WST/Tinpex/occasional KM ITF. You can transfer 5 times every 3 days anyway so you may as well give it a shot and just transfer back if it's not worth it for you.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That also makes it extremely difficult to find good builds, because a lot of the "Completed build" guides on the forums that cost 1+ billion to put together and look meticulously min/maxed are just... really, really bad.

I'll always remember pulling apart my half-assed but highly efficient shield/axe tank build to follow an expensive guide with multiple HOs/D-Syncs I found on the forums and ending up with something that not only didn't have capped defenses but did far less damage than my half-assed build did and had severe End issues. It was full of things like loading up attacks with procs but then sticking in 2-3 recharge enhancements to chase some useless set bonus and tanking the power's PPM in the meantime. And I didn't back up my build first so I just gave up on the character instead of figuring it all out again.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 23, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Slotting recharge reduction in a power that has procs in it reduces the chance of those procs triggering when the ability is used. In theory this wouldn't affect their procs per minute because you're using the power more often, but global recharge rate buffs (e.g. Hasten or the LOTG global recharge, or set bonuses that provide recharge reduction) do not reduce the proc rate. By not slotting the recharge reduction into the power itself you maintain a higher chance for the procs to trigger while still being able to hit 150%+ recharge reduction through global sources.

I don't know how much it matters for powers with a single proc, or powers with lower proc rates or faster cooldowns in the first place, but e.g. with Shield Charge or Savage Leap you can stick 6 procs in and have all 6 fire off almost every time you use the power, while still getting significant enough cooldown reduction in it through global sources to use it regularly, and they become massive nukes.

With something like Shield Charge that has a long (90s) base recharge it will never be fast enough to hit the theoretical 3.5-4.5 PPM that damage procs have so reducing the proc chance below 90% just weakens it and leads to lower PPM from that power, no matter how much faster the cooldown is, because it's not bound by PPM in the first place.

So Shield Charge with 6 procs is much stronger than Shield Charge with 4 procs and 2 recharge enhancements - not only does the latter have fewer procs, but they stop firing off every time you use the power while only marginally affecting the actual recharge time after diminishing returns against your global recharge reduction.

But either way my point was that the build suggested recharge set pieces instead of the ones that don't have recharge on them :argh: if you're not going to 6-proc a proc-heavy attack at least use damage/acc/end IOs as the non-proc pieces to reach your set bonus, so that you don't reduce the proc rate!!

(Plus recharge reduction on attacks isn't that valuable unless it's hitting a breakpoint that alters your attack chain, which is unlikely on an attack you only use once per engagement anyway)

None of this actually matters because this game is easy but I like to maximize my damage damnit

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 23, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

One of the best parts about the recent population explosion is that red side isn't dead :unsmith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I rolled an ice/time controller yesterday named Samurai Slowdown and felt the same way :unsmith:

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

As far as minmaxing is concerned you pretty much have it. When it comes to end-game builds, power pool powers are more useful as something to stick defense set IOs in rather than for the actual powers themselves, but you can run all the toggles if you have endurance for it for some sweet defensive boosts. While you're leveling and especially on your first character just take whatever sounds cool/useful/thematic to you, you get plenty of respecs just from leveling up and you can buy more for 1mil inf (which is virtually nothing - that's 5 reward merits). And this game isn't really difficult enough to require minmaxing your build.

Endurance in the long run is not as big of a deal as it is while unfunded and low level, there are lots of options in the long run to increase your recovery such as putting the Panacea and Numina's procs in Health and the Performance Shifter proc in Stamina, or taking the Ageless incarnate power at 50 (this alone essentially gives unlimited endurance).

But these are the generally more popular ones in terms of the strength that they give your overall build (with set IOs):

Speed:
Hasten (useful for the actual power itself, not as a set mule)

Leadership:
Maneuvers (lot of people do only this one - buff is good especially when multiple people have it, and it works as a defense mule)
Assault (not really that great overall, and there are no IO sets that go in it, but if you have a power pick and you're not sure what else to do with it you may as well).
Tactics (mostly as a mule for tohit buff enhancement sets instead of the actual buff, as generally people build enough accuracy on their own)

Fighting:
Boxing/Kick (mandatory to unlock the other 2, not generally used)
Tough (Resist set mule + strong s/l resist toggle)
Weave (Defense set mule + an extra defense toggle)

Concealment (both mostly as a defense toggle or mule for defense sets):
Stealth
Infiltration

Leaping:
Combat Jumping (defense toggle/set mule)

Flight:
Hover (defense toggle/set mule)

Stealth (Concealment) and Teleport Target (Teleportation) will let you skip your groups right to the objective in a mission, which can be nice for speedrunning things like TFs.
Sorcery has some fun buffs that aren't super strong but they help with the class fantasy of buffing your team

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 27, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Also a general word of advice is that healing in CoH is kind of the least important support related thing you can possibly do, and calling yourself a "healer" in LFG is something people tend to make fun of. Generally speaking you want to prioritize your big buffs, debuffs, and absorb powers to mitigate damage before it ever happens, which is kind of a big departure from other MMOs that have a lot of reactive healing.

This is absolutely true but to set your (brainSnakes) mind at ease re: this and Nature Defender - Nature is still a cool as hell set and your heals are still good because they come with +resist all (Wild Growth), +endurance recovery (Lifegiving Spores) and Absorb shields (Wild Bastion). Regrowth is the one that's not great which you'll probably drop at higher levels, though some people drop Lifegiving Spores too.

Pretty much every other power that Nature has is great in one way or another. Also who doesn't love planting little forests everywhere you go :unsmith:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Jan 27, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

That's really sort of the opposite of the experience I have with those sorts of parties - the player-based buffs feel useless in them because the players don't need any buffs to be incarnate gods, but the enemy-based debuffs provide very strong things that those players can't easily work into their builds such as -res and -regen, which are two of the biggest things you can do to improve a team like that's efficiency against AVs, making them some of the strongest debuffs in the game. especially in TFs with tanky AVs you have to fight like Tinpex or ITF.

But that is overall a pretty big problem with CoX as a whole - the power scaling on the high end is so strong that in true high-end parties, brutes/tanks/blasters are the only "really good" classes, things like controllers/doms become mostly useless, and defenders get relegated to "debuff enemy regen or max HP". But you can do hardmode TFs that remove IO set bonuses and incarnate powers if you want to play a version of CoX where every AT is useful.

IME parties like that aren't the majority unless you explicitly try to put them together that way though. They're common for Tinpex but not most of the other stuff I do.

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 28, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

It does really suck because getting a character to 50 and putting together a strong build for them is what I like to do most in this game, but then those aren't the most fun characters to play. I have one of those brutes that can solo ITF if I wanted to but playing it feels flat and unvaried, no matter what the content is I just dive into the middle of everything and press my rotation until the end.

If they added a server where incarnates and IO sets weren't available I'd be all over that.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

The frustrating thing about minmaxing in this game is that there's a pretty wide-open space for doing it, and the process is intricate enough that it becomes a fun puzzle if that's what you're into, but the end result of it is that you can take any character and make them not only virtually invincible but capable of overcoming pretty much any obstacle in the game. So it's fun to do but then not as fun to play as once you've done it :(

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

I just did the sewer trial for the first time in like 18 years with a completely unprepared group, because it's the WST, and that was some of the most fun I've had in this game in a while. It actually pushed my expensive minmaxed savage/bio brute build to the limit and was extremely chaotic. So I guess there is still difficult content in this game after all :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jan 29, 2024

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Someone post a build for one of these sick rear end crabs, I started one the other day and it seems fun but there are so many powers I don't know what's best!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

My experience is that a lot of players think immobs and knockbacks are "not that bad" because they're under the belief that they only penalize melee, without considering the fact that they also prevent AoEs from hitting the entire group which can effectively double your ttk and make the mission take twice as long because you now have to aoe down at least two separate packs of enemies per pull

But I also play this game in a very optimal way and understand not everyone does. I just don't like playing on groups that don't. I want my 30minute ITF runs not 50+ minute runs! And in that regard not having controllers/doms/MMs on teams at all is ideal because they all affect enemy positioning and prevent enemies from clumping up. Not that I strictly enforce team comp or anything but if I join a TF and see a lot of those ATs I peace out before it starts instead of complain about it. unless it's a goon group, because I expect us to all be terrible anyway demolish it anyway :colbert:

deep dish peat moss fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Mar 2, 2024