Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Mystic Mongol posted:

Yeah, but man. The Hoi Palloi. The great unwashed. The pubstove. Before the servers opened up to the public I thought it'd be better to play on a tiny server with only relatively cool people, and exposure to the public has done nothing to disavow me of that opinion.

I'm gonna give the switch a shot. I was dubious until I found out they'd seeded the AH, which means gearing up won't be a joyless slog. Armiger Grundermann will probably be a proud 18th worlder.

Right now, Homecoming consists 95% of people who played on the Live server; some of them spent every day missing CoH, while others are "eh, it's back, I'll play a few sewer runs". However, pretty soon word will leak out to the people who never played the original, that they can play a top-tier MMO for free with all the bells and whistles. Then, the server will be overwhelmed by the hordes of grubby pubbies who infest every F2P game.

When we start seeing accounts named xXxGokuWeedLord420xXx, it will be time to pack it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

Forget your RoboCoX or your StickyCoX or your EvilCoX, MY CoX has Blinking Bewbs!

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Merilan posted:

Willpower is kind of the fix to Regen in that it's very clearly a 2.0 design of the same set that doesn't have the "you're either invincible or you die instantly" problem of putting all your eggs in one basket so I have no idea what you'd do with the original one without making them even more samey

More buttons and working Absorb in maybe but that also kind of brushes up against Bio's gimmick

Just change Instant Healing to what it used to be, a toggle that heals massively but also guzzles END. Lowbies can use it to keep safe but they have to stop attacking; 50s with tons of sets can run it all the time.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

hup posted:

Would Electric Armor go well with Titan Weapons? I can’t decide on scrapper, brute, or tank, either

Hell yeah. Titan is awesome beyond words, but it hits your END bar pretty hard, and it needs a lot of global recharge to be really awesome. Electric Armor gives you a passive 20% recharge bonus and keeps your END bar full in many ways. If Bio Armor didn't exist, Electric would be the hands-down best pairing.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What are various goon opinions on the ranking of the Melee Sets; from 'Best Set Ever' to 'God drat, Does This Suck'?

Claws: Not bad but not great.

Dark Melee: Great single target damage, pairs well with defense sets. Almost no AoE.

Dual Blades: Fun to watch, but the combo system is kinda dumb. Damage is pretty good.

Electric Melee: Dps isn't great, and draining end from mobs really doesn't have an impact. The teleport attack is fun.

Fire Melee: Meh.

Kinetic Melee: Dps is ok, not great. Feels like it was designed with only a few low budget 70's chopsocky movies as a reference. Worth mentioning that it debuffs damage, which is about the only debuff that AVs don't innately resist.

Martial Arts: pretty good, not amazing.

Psionic Melee: Meh. has some weird choices, like a single target confuse with no damage.

Radiation Melee: Pretty good. One of the few melee sets with a passive damage ability.

Savage Melee: Eh. Feels like Claws with a coat of paint.

Spines: Pretty good if you like AoEs. Another passive damage aura.

Street Justice: Decent damage, fun to play.

Super Strength: Pretty good. I've lost track of whether Rage is good this week.

Titan Weapons: OH GOD YES YES YES :fap:

Anything not listed I haven't played much.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

clone on the phone posted:

So what’s the Titan Weapon secret you need to figure out?

Recharge. As much global recharge as you can get.

(granted this is the secret to 90% of other builds...)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

boxen posted:

Oh no, I did bots/time, will I be too bored to enjoy the game?

Time is great for any AT or playstyle, it has a bunch of buffs and dubuffs.

Forcefield will make your bots softcapped or close to it, but you'll soon be bored silly, all you do is apply ff buffs over and over and over.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Brave New World posted:

I'm in hard disagreement with this. CO's character creation and CoX's seem to perfectly overlap with each other's strengths and weaknesses. There are things I want to do in each game that I can't, but can do perfectly in the other. Overall, CoX's is easier to work with, but CO's has more potential variety(especially with faces).

The only thing I remember about Champion's character creator is that the boob slider defaults to the max. They knew their audience.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
I rolled a Kinetic/Bio stalker and holy carp its awesome. The AoE crits from hide, plus the fast animation for AS is so fast I'm thinking it's bugged. We're talking about 3/10 of a second here.

With a fuckload of global recharge this guy could be insane. Heck now I'm thinking of switching to a secondary that grants +rcg like Electric or Energy.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HPanda posted:

So the game really wanted everyone to know that this one story arc, Smoke and Mirrors I think, was written by Hickman. Got a special note in the mission text and everything. Only thing is that the arc is terrible and boring. It's "We'll port you back in time to stop the Circle of Thorns by rescuing this one victim. Oh no, we were too late. Let's try it again. Oh no we were too late. We'll try it again. Oh no we were too late and had the wrong twin. Fine, we'll send you to go stop the demon summoning and pit you against an overtuned boss in one of those terrible CoT maps. The day is saved hooray."

Meanwhile, this random story villain-side with no listed author, Destiny Follows, is actually pretty fun and much more engaging, with a finish that was really damned good.

Was the Hickman story actually any good in the comic? Cause it was crappy in-game. Maybe it was just a bad translation of a comic book into the game, but anyone who read it have an opinion?

The comic was pretty good, not amazing.

I forget where, but you can (legally) download all the comics somewhere. I'll try to find it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
...aaaaaand downloading the beta client appears to be mandatory. wtf?

EDIT: double-click "Homecoming" and it aborts the DL and launches the game. Still a dopey idea though.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Jun 1, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Everslain posted:

If anyone ever asks if you want to do the Dr. Quaterfield Task Force, don't do it.

You're lucky, my Dr. Q back in the day was 6 hours. I've heard tales of nightmare 12 hour runs.

I've also heard stories of one hour Dr. Q runs here, but I'm skeptical.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Jazerus posted:

do tfs

if you do posi 1, posi 2, and synapse and you aren't at least level 20 (particularly with the xp boosts turned on) you're doing something wrong

on the other hand, feeling obligated to do synapse is bad and there should probably be a solution that doesn't involve synapse

Seriously yeah. Running Synapse is about as much fun as sticking my ding-dong into a blender. They need to either shorten it or provide an alternate way of getting it.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

It took a bit of digging to find a post about it but apparently XP boosters aren't playing nice with the new XP curve. It's a known issue to be fixed next patch.

Yeah this. I rolled a new dude last night and even with 2XP, two DFB runs only took me to level 9.

As for the big picture, I think this points to what I mentioned earlier about pubbies who never played the original. People are *still* running DFB to 50, which to me seems about as much fun as coating my ding-a-ling with Tabasco and feeding it to rabid wombats. I'm guessing these people were brainwashed by other MMORPGs, where the goal is to grind to max level as fast as possible.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 3, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

MechaCrash posted:

The way the banks work, not that the game explains this, is that the robbery doesn't start until you get close enough (250 feet originally, 50 in Homecoming), or after five minutes have passed since someone entered the mission. So while there isn't time to go dicking around all over the map, there is enough time to wait for everyone to get in the drat mission and get their poo poo set up.

A dude posted:

Huh, I didn't know that. It always seemed like "THE BANK IS BEING ROBBED" basically triggered immediately and you had to gun for it or fail. It might be the 250 ft. radius in live doing that, though

The former is generally true, but sometimes it glitches and the robbery starts right away, so you're hosed if you don't get to the bank super fast.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Glagha posted:

So Titan Weapons. Recharge reduction in attacks is good, right? I feel like I'm just standing there a lot waiting for my poo poo to come off cooldown a lot.

Global recharge is good for absolutely every build whatsoever (except *maybe* masterminds) but Titan needs it even more than most. Save up for those LotGs.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Dr Tasty posted:

How exactly do you build for AOE damage as a melee person - scrapper, brute, tanker, or otherwise? Is that a thing? I've gone with a few groups and am not really sure how this all works. The mobs seem to melt as I struggle to ready up a power to hit a single target. I get how it works wtih blasters and controllers, but not scrappers. I am having trouble sticking with a character, because I don't really understand how all of these power sets and power combinations work at a higher level and want to try out everything. I don't exactly have a lot of free time, so I don't feel great about committing to something until I know more about it. Is there somewhere that has a breakdown of all the power sets and how they play/feel?

Titan has such awesome AoEs that you can totally skip the single target attacks if you want (although I would recommend taking one or two unless your build is very tight).

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
https://massivelyop.com/2019/06/08/city-of-heroes-pleiades/

EDIT: reading between the lines over on Reddit, I *think* that the culprit is Lady Rayne, the transperson who was harassed by Discord nazis a few weeks ago.

EDIT PART DEUX: It wasn't Rayne who pulled the plug but s/he was involved.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

LordSaturn posted:

that's a loving weird way to talk about a human being, my guy. at what point is her gender relevant to the reddit server shutting down?

She was harassed for being a transperson on a previous occasion. This *may* be relevant to the Majinora person pulling the plug. Once again, I'm only speculating based on what I've heard.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hakarne posted:

Alright I need help. I really want to level a Brute (or Scrapper) next and I'm torn between Fire/Shield and Titan Weapons/Electric. I've played them both to 10 and I've really enjoyed them both so far and I like the concepts. After leveling a controller that I love grouping with I'd like a strong solo character for when I can't find groups for stuff I want to do.

Titan/Elec will make you a walking orgy of destruction, go for it. Titan does suck at low levels, try to get a pl to at least 22.

Fire Melee is mediocre, IMHO.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hakarne posted:

Sold, thanks. Ele armor question: Is Power Surge essential/worth slotting? I hate those "you're super powerful then you crash and die" powers. I actually did get a SS/Bio Brute to 50 but Rage crashes are intolerable to me so I stopped playing him

You're unkillable for three minutes, but if the fight isn't over by then, you lose. Since most builds nowadays have loads of picks but are short on slots, I always just take it and leave it at one slot.

It's worth mentioning that Power Surge plugs the Toxic hole that the other powers have. You won't encounter Toxic often, but it happens.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

JohnnyDangerously posted:

So, I'm on the server (yay!) but I could use some guidance. I never got above lvl 25 on the live game, so I'm not exactly sure what to do, especially since I have lvl boosts in the backpocket. If I made a class that relied on groups, like a defender, would I be able to find groups leveling up from 1? Or should I just pop the boost and get in the end game?

If you want to team, roll a fender that's either emp or kin, the secondary doesn't matter. The former will get you teamage with publords who have just emigrated from other MMORPGs and are brainwashed into thinking that every team must have a heal0r. The latter will get you on teams with ex-CoH who know that a kin turns any team into a runaway steamroller of mayhem.

Grab Siphon Power, Speed Boost, increase Density, and (eventually) Fulcrum Shift. That's all it takes.

EDIT: also grab the power that reloads your team's END, I forget the name. A kin with those five powers can take literally nothing else and still rock the house.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jun 17, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
IMHO Poison isn't horrible. Problem is, it's main shtick is debuffing AVs, which Cold and Radiation both do better, and do other stuff too.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Inzombiac posted:

Help, I can't come up with a compelling reason to make a Blaster over a Corruptor.

Higher damage doesn't matter to me if I die all the time.

Corruptors do a lot less damage than a blaster, and by a lot, I mean a lot. Scourge doesn't make up for it.

I'm not saying they're worthless, but if you solo you'll *probably* have more fun as a blaster.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah Dwarf Mire only lasts 10 seconds, so if you account for animation times double Mire doesn't even really last long enough to be worth the effort.

It's a shame honestly. Triform Warshade was cool and good.

IMHO Warshades are sucktastic most of the time, but get better once you get T4 Clarion, which plugs the biggest hole, that of no mez protection outside lobster form.

Pop Clarion, teleport into a big group, fire Eclipse. 85% resist/all and hefty mez protection for 90 seconds, and both are ready to go again when they expire.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Jun 18, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

kumba posted:

I rolled a sonic/dark blaster last night and it felt....... awful

Probably gonna just go dark/dark but I had never tried sonic before. Seems like it sucks?

Sonic's raw damage isn't great, but it debuffs resistance so more net damage. A good choice if you team a lot.

Dark/dark is good if you solo a lot; every attack debuffs tohit, add in some defense you're quite safe.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
We just did two Hami raids with no wave clearing. Destroy initial mitos, drop Lore, pound nucleus to zero in less than 60 seconds.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

khy posted:

There's some parts of i25 I'm not thrilled with. Null the gull is one of them. I like the whole going rogue stuff, and the vigilante/ rogue system is great, but I sort of feel like an npc doing it instantly for free kind of cheapens it.

I suspect the community might not feel the same, though. I see it as trivializing and cheapening the content but I suspect they prefer the convenience to working through the normal alignment switch methods, with tips and all.

What do goons think?

If you mean the instant side switching, I like it. The sole reason that City of Villains was created was because players were clamoring to play Mistress Darkity Dark. Once people got that out of their system, the whole red side didn't have much point.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Remora posted:

Hey, so - what would people say the top 4 MM primaries are? I seem to remember that Thugs and Bots are the top two?

Of the ones I've played:

Thugs: The thugs themselves do mediocre damage and are a bit fragile, but Gang War is the best power ever. Pair it with Time to buff your recharge, so you can be playing West Side Story all day long.

Robots: The raw damage is bad, but they're absolutely the sturdiest, and the Assault Bot has a -regen that murders AV/GMs. Pair it with Dark to give the bots softcapped defense.

Demons: Pretty good. The constant howling gets amazingly annoying.

Necro: Kinda limp. The basic zombies hit like a wet rag, and the Lich has a ton of control powers but poor damage.

Beasts: On paper the damage is amazing, but they have no ranged attacks, so a lot of time is wasted running from one target to the next. Pair it with Kin to make the kitties zip around like hypercharged gerbils.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 20, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
Dark: This is super awesome. Tons and tons of tohit debuffs, plus a heal, a hold, a rez, and another pet. Super awesome with pets that have defense, like robots or ninjas, but works well with anything.

Empathy: Pretty good levels 1-49, and will guarantee you a team spot with publords who insist that every team needs a heal0r. Almost useless at Incarnate stuff.

Nature: Eh, not horrible but not great.

Kin: :fap: OH GOD YES YES YES :fap:

Pain: This is pretty much Empathy with a coat of paint.

Poison: All this does is debuff AV/GMs, and it's not amazing at that.

Sonic: Pretty good mix of buffs and debuffs.

Time: Very very good, buffs and debuffs and holds.

Traps: A mixed bag, some powers are great and some suck.

Arrow: A bunch of debuffs, not terrible but not great.

Gynovore fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jun 20, 2019

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

John Murdoch posted:

Kin excels almost entirely because Fulcrum Shift was never balanced properly. If you look at how the set is actually constructed, it's a very I0 kind of mess. Probably part of the reason why it never got slammed with nerfs was because 1) before tech work was done Transfusion (and Transference) would fail when used on dying targets, making it the least reliable heal in the game while also already being the hardest to use well and 2) the set gives up an entire power slot for "give team Super Jump". It's also weighed down by the unpopular Repel and the really anemic Increase Density, the latter of which was awkwardly grandfathered in to the AoE team buff change in a way that just confuses everyone.

The fact that Inertial Reduction still existed in 2012 shows that the devs had stopped looking in that direction years ago.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

winterwerefox posted:

Got into a level 43 pug on my mid 30s Wp/SS tank. I didnt know things could spawn at +5 to the mission owner, +6 to any side kicks. as at 50 +4 means things are 54, the mob level cap. got yelled at for not holding aggro and being squishy. Riiiiight. every defensive toggle i can get my hands on, 3 slotted for def or resist, and this is MY fault. Dumb mother fuckers.

If you're on a mixed-level PUG and it's set to +4, leave.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

As a blaster, should I be getting Ion Judgment instead of Void Judgment for the sake of having a more distant AOE?

I just kinda inherently took Void Judgment because that sounds badass.

Personally I find that a PBaoE Judgement is best for melee dudes, and a ranged one for squishy ones.

Most people take Ion, but the problem with that is that it will not jump to a target that has been hit by an Ion Judgement in the last four seconds. So, on a big group like an Itrial, there's a chance it will whiff.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

People were asking for Mr. Fantastic stretching and size changing sets since about day 1. The engine isn't built for the former, and the latter goes from "yeah that's totally doable" to staring in horror at the hundreds of indoor mission maps and narrow environments.

The engine can't handle huge players either. One time, a GM was changing a bunch of players into different models. When he made us into the Avatar of Hamidon, the camera was inside the model unless zoomed really far out, and the model jumped around like crazy when not on level ground.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Hakarne posted:

Hey thanks for this. Didn’t i24 do a balance pass so the pets are mostly equal? I'm torn between warworks, arachnos, longbow, and rikti. Are any of those poo poo or substantially better now?

I know the SCORE peeps did some tweaking. For one thing, Seers used to have abysmal damage; it turned out that a bug was preventing them from using half their powers. I think that the Cimerororans were nerfed, not sure.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

I ride bikes all day posted:

I want to play the most destructive DPS monster in the game. What are the min/max options here? Is it Titan/Bio or get bent, basically?

Probably Titan/Fire. Bio is awesome but Fire has Burn which puts it over the top on damage.

For raw DPS, a Fire/something blaster edges that out. Fire/Time maybe.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

HPanda posted:

Yeah, but the game won't let me make a DeLorean in the character creator.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

year199X posted:

Are PB/WS still considered bad by most people? I had a ton of fun leveling one on live.

PBs are pretty much 'almost as good as a brute, but not quite'.

Warshades are a big mishmash of powers that really don't come together. IMHO the best way to play is as a squid 99% of the time, which makes them almost as good as a blaster, but not quite.

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!
My Live PB was human only at 50, running perma Light Form. With LF plus the regular shields, he had brute-ish resists and mez protection and a solid attack chain, mostly melee with a bit of ranged. Pretty solid, except that you lose 50% of your health every 90 seconds. So, almost as good as a broot, but not quite.

Human form Warshades fall short on damage. Gravity Well is solid single target melee damage, Unchain Essence is damaging but clunky (and unusable when foes don't leave corpses) and the nuke is ok, but a human form WS just does not have a beefy sustained attack chain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gynovore
Jun 17, 2009

WHY IS THIS GAME DEAD?!

Ghost of Starman posted:

Any settings I could try tweaking for that? Not as many sound options as graphical, and I'm not as familiar with fiddling with them.

(also holy geez why does changing into Dwarf need to be a screenshaking KABOOM every. freakin'. time)

You can turn off screen shake in Options.

Not really sure why a WS would cause client issues. The game has been rock solid for me, at least client-side.