Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I love CoX so much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I remember a lot of people asked for a dual pistols scrapper set so you could make a kick-rear end gunfu equilibrium character and the devs expressly said they would never make a melee set that revolved around ranged weapons.

I suppose the Martial secondaries for Blasters and Dominators were an attempt to do something like this. I haven't played any of them extensively but /Martial Blaster has been fun for the like four levels I've played it.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

A good bio

EDIT: gently caress it's tiny, I need to fix that

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I just thought of making a villain named the Dad Joker and the name is already taken and I'm so mad I didn't think of it sooner.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

On Indomitable? Hmmm...

OK, looks like I'm not really doing anything with that name. What's your global? I'll free it up next time I see you in channel.

My Global is @FrostyPox

Thanks a ton! It'll be my next 50 for sure

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hispanic! At The Disco posted:

On Indomitable? Hmmm...

OK, looks like I'm not really doing anything with that name. What's your global? I'll free it up next time I see you in channel.

OK I've managed to tear myself away from FFXIV for a while so I should be around more often. What's your global name?

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Got it, gently caress yeah!

Thanks a ton

Have a screenshot (plus a shitload of other really dumb character names):

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 12, 2019

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

OgNar posted:

loving 70 alts.

Look I don't have a problem, I can stop whenever I want, okay

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

TBF only 8 of them are above level 10 and most of the rest of them are level 1 or 2

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Yeah for me it's totally been the FFXIV expansion, but eventually I'll burn out levelling alt jobs and return to CoH.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I actually really like reading the patch notes from different servers. The divergent evolution of this game is fascinating. I think the Reddit server just added a new AT that's got Dominator Secondaries as Primaries and their Secondaries are a mishmash of Armor sets and the buffs/debuffs from Blaster secondaries with a sprinkling of Defender primary powers in there.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Starting an Arachnos Soldier and taking pummel as your first primary power is also pretty amusing. "Here's your gun, soldier. You don't get bullets yet, though, not until you hit Threat Level 2!"

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

There's also the potential issue that if you buy Influence with money, then Influence technically has value and could be considered taxable income. Same thing applies to like getting a car as a gift; you technically have to pay taxes on the value of the car.

There's no guarantee that this would actually be an issue, but it could be and it's better to avoid that can of worms

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Saw this in the broke-brained City of Heroes facebook group, and guys, I'm starting to think saving CoH was a mistake:

:stonk:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Toon is the worst word and people who use it are monsters

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

Toon make sense because it's a single syllable word that rolls off the tongue nicely.

You'd think some people would've learned to accept it after 20 years.

Never

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Back when the game's shut down was announced my SG decided to do a bunch of Arena fights for shits and grins cuz we realized it was one of the very few parts of the game we had almost never engaged with (I think we probably did it maybe three times throughout the lifetime of the game) and it was actually a lot of fun.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Songbearer posted:

Guys,

CoH came back this year.

:unsmith:

Hell yeah, my dude

I haven't logged in in quite a while but goddamn I'm still so happy this game is back

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

So, uh, didn't see anyone mention this:

https://massivelyop.com/2020/01/02/ncsoft-follows-up-city-of-heroes-code-copyright-filing-with-fresh-trademark-application/

Maybe Homecoming is going legit

Maybe NCSoft is going to bring the game back themselves

Maybe they're gonna bring the hammer down and kill Homecoming

Who knows

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I snagged the name "Porklift" for a pig-themed SS/Inv Brute and I couldn't be happier.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Porklift now lives on Excelsior as well

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

My dreams of a 30's style gangster with a tommy gun and stone skin (AR/Stone Armor Sentinel) named "Rock Mobster" is destroyed, name is taken :negative:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Off the top of my head, something like Big Stone Malone?

"Rock Mobster" was the lynchpin to the whole plan but I might do it anyway

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I emerge from my slumber to announce that I have snagged the name "Mayor Maynot"

He is an evil mayor

e: I assume most of his plans revolve around paving over a park to turn it into a fast-food restaurant or something

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

LordSaturn posted:

if you want evil mayor ideas consider looking into what's going on in seattle or portland right now

True but I was going for more like "Saturday Morning Cartoon" evil, not depressing terrible real world evil

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

In fact I just realized I got my example for "pave over park for fast food restaurant" from Parks and Recreation when the Pawnee Town council votes to do just that lol

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I did the heroside arc and I thought it was really cool.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Well, after 74 hours of playing the character (I checked with one of the NPCs), The Hateful Oppressive Republican, Strike Breaker, was generic'ed. :(

So now he's The Hateful Oppressive Grand Old Patrician, Strike Breaker (we'll see how long that lasts)

If it happens again I'll probably delete the character, I don't like Masterminds all that much and literally every MM I've played has been some kind of gimmick character

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Gynovore posted:

Unless it's strictly a gimmick build for ERP or something, resist the urge to roll a whips-only MM. It's mildly fun until level 20 or so, then you become unable to defeat anything.

I once took a pistol/traps MM to 50 with only the pistol attacks, Traps powers, and I think I took all of the Speed and Boxing pools. Including Spring Attack and Whirlwind.

Do not do this. Never, ever do this.

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Apr 24, 2021

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Dareon posted:

Someone somewhere, either in this thread or the guides on the wiki, posted a long half-satirical half-rant about bad characters, and the no-pet MM was pretty high on their list. Gonna be honest I was sorta tempted with The Legendary Vic Voss, but having more dudes around was handier than just relying on the Boxing pool.

It was a painful nightmare that I could only do because my Supergroup thought it was funny and teamed up with me all the time. I think I did the last five levels AFK farming in Mission Architect lmao

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It's my understanding that Paragon was working on another project, perhaps two. If NCSoft wasn't happy with what they were doing, and they had already invested a substantial amount of money in them, then shutting them down may have made financial sense.

Not sure what sense it is holding on to the IP despite many offers, but they wouldn't be the only company to have done that.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

It should also be stressed that all content in the game can be done with any AT and any power set combination. It isn't like if you're X archetype with Y and Z "underpowered" power sets, you can't do certain content. Like, no, you're not going to be doing super-fast speed runs where you gather the entire map of enemies and smash them as an Invuln/War Mace Tanker, but you can still do whatever the mission/task force/trial in question is.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Strong AND pretty?!

:yeah:

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Wasn't there a thing where NC gave Paragon a bunch of money for a project but Paragon used it for a different project? Or was that just a rumor

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

theironjef posted:

I love Sentinels, when the servers started and I was made aware I immediately mained up a Water Blast/Bio Armor guy named Splash Mountain and loved him forever and ever.

I have a water/bio Sentinel named Gross. He's a weird slime monster who shoots sewer water at people. I love him

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Concurred posted:

When Homecoming first came about I made a character with the blue orb head named "Very Small Planet" and his backpack was the waterfall backpack, so it looked like it was just constantly flowing water

I made a similar character named "Wet Willy"

City of Heroes is a land of contrasts.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Seventh Arrow posted:

There are some strange people out there. There's a guy on HC Excelsior who makes characters named stuff like "Sitter? Why Not Work For It" or "Sitters? BWAHAHAHA". He will do mission groups right up to 50 and then roll a new character and start again. I decided to get in on one of his groups and he is very adamant that everything be done HIS WAY. Everyone has to go after the groups he does, absolutely no splitting up, etc., and he won't stop talking about how people should do content instead of farm. Takes all kinds, I guess.

The City of Heroes community has always had some pretty.... interesting people in it. Sometimes it's funny poo poo like this, other times it's people unironically insisting that the US should sever all relations with South Korea because NCSoft shut down their video game (which is still funny in its absurdity)

Still love the poo poo out of the game and the people I met there and am so glad it exists once more.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I think CoH is at its best not worrying about difficulty. It's all about letting your creativity run wild, be the hero you want to be, unhindered by any meta. It's why I'm so adamant about seeing more costume pieces, more proliferation among the options, filling in gaps in sets, and so on. Just making the creativity process as smooth and varied as possible. Bring who you want, the end bosses are all doable with everyone.

I tend to agree, though I do like the badges you can get for what are basically challenge modes. But it's also great that there's no content gated behind that and you can do the exact same stuff without worrying about the badges.

I still love Incarnate Trials because they have some neat mechanics but generally aren't that hard

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I have loads of level 1s I never logged into after creating them over 1,000 days old and they're all still there :shrug:

If you want to get :tinfoil: one of my old SGmates from live is on the dev team so it's possible my account is flagged to not free up names

Then again he couldn't do anything when my character "The Hateful Oppressive Republican" got name-changed so this is almost certainly not the case.

I just wanted to bring up my how they namechangd my favorite villain character :(

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I had a 50 Rad/Pain Corruptor on live and found Rad didn't feel great to use. It didn't feel bad, just not great. Mechanically, though, it's really good. It's a decent power set, but there are much more fun Blast sets in the game.