Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

ElMaligno posted:

https://twitter.com/dangainor/status/1134966204093882370
Just imagine being this scared of milkshakes and admitting your racist believes are bad that you rather kill other people.

I like the "March for Life" banner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Happy 30th anniversary of absolutely nothing happening :ninja::killdozer:

I hoped in my hopeful heart that EBB's expectations would be wrong.

code:
No, You Did Not Die
Li Jiahua

Why do you cover your face and cry		Tiananmen Square
Why do your pale lips tremble			Tiananmen Square
Why, but why, does blood run from your chest	Tiananmen Square
Why is your body writhing in convulsions	Tiananmen Square
Reply to me					Tiananmen Square
with the burning torches and molten lava buried in your chest
With the roar and rage with which you once shook the universe
Surely you couldn’t really die as quietly as this
surely you couldn’t lose you vengeful eyes for ever after
No, you could not die
you are not dead
all the world has seen the violent anger in your features – 
even in the face of stabbing knives and rifle butts
you were not afraid
unarmed the wild beast did trample over and persecute you
you would rather die than submit
valiantly lying there in the blood and tears
No, you are not dead
you can’t die
your flags certainly did not fall to the ground and give up
your shredded slogan banners did not drop their flaming red wings
your strangled throat still continues to produce the deep roar of your ballads and essays as before
your mighty cannon-ball fist continues spurring on and encouraging the battle as before
Your nebulous bodily frame continues making accusations and calls to arms as before
Death does not belong to you
you are invincible
Yes
I believe freedom cannot be put to death
true reason’s lips cannot be sealed
then will be a day
when you will rise from the blood and tears
you will be ten, a hundred, nay one thousand times stronger than you are today
you will raise high anew the banner of awakening
overcoming those who before dealt with you with weapons
to solemnly proclaim out loud the rights of men.

joat mon fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Jun 4, 2019

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Maybe prison guards should do their loving jobs so we don't have to torture people

If only Manafort had worked as hard on prison reform as he did for despots and dictators.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Torrannor posted:

https://twitter.com/Bernstein/status/1131610423386607617

Just lol.

By the way, I noticed that quite a few prominent conservative Christians were pretty unchristian in their youth (casual sex/drugs/etc.), and then became more traditionally Christian when they got older. I'm not talking about born-again-Christians, because people like Rod Dreher for example always professed to be Christians (Dreher was a Catholic, and then became Eastern Orthodox). But it's amazing that when they were young, they did all those things that they now rail against. But they expect today's young people not to do the same. The hypocrisy is amazing.
It must be difficult times for an aging PUA.
He's only concerned that men might be led into sin as a result of his advice, so he'll have a really good chance of fitting right in with his new entourage.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Scot Peterson, the School Resource Officer who was on duty at Marjorie Stoneman HS, has been arrested on a litany of charges that carry 97 years of prison for his failure to intervene during that shooting. However, since there’s precedent under Castle Rock vs. Gonzalez, this seems like it’ll be difficult to convict upon; also, police unions will poo poo bricks over this.

https://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/fl-ne-scot-peterson-arrested-terminated-20190604-247rpiefs5abpjkv43jgdlayhi-story.html

Castle Rock v. Gonzales does not apply to criminal prosecutions.

Castle Rock v. Gonzalez applies to civil liability for a specific statutorily defined type of Federal civil lawsuit for money damages against governmental entities and against governmental employees acting in their official capacity.

Some of the public policy considerations that underlie Castle Rock v. Gonzalez will surely be part of Peterson's defense, but those considerations will in no way mandate dismissal in the same way it would if this was a civil suit instead of a criminal prosecution.

Castle Rock v. Gonzales does not apply to criminal prosecutions.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

psydude posted:

This is gonna be another supreme court case, isn't it.

Not if he's acquitted.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

DoktorLoken posted:

Yeah, the criminal prosecution part (for not running in) is kind of hosed especially since cops are civilians. This should be a civil manner where he loses his job (if he hadn't already quit).

And his :wtc: $8700 a month :wtc: pension.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

You've got to get out of the shortstop's pocket and play a little deeper, or they're going to keep going over your head.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Chichevache posted:

Referring to the amount of cops and the amount of cops only! I'm not defending anything, just addressing why so many would show.

A current belief in policing is that a show of force deescalates situations. As in, someone who may have fought one or two cops wont be willing to fight five or six. The logic is that this prevents the situation from ever becoming one where any force besides presence is necessary.

Anecdotally, I've seen it work.

No, escalation is by definition not de-escalation. For the small subset of seized people who are 1) actually dangerous and 2) Capable of doing a rational cost-benefit analysis at that moment, escalation like this might work. However, the number of times the outcome is going to be worse far outweighs the times it will work.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

mlmp08 posted:

If you escalate and no one fights back, it worked. If you escalate and win the fight, it worked. If you escalate and lose the fight, you didn't escalate enough.
:eng101:
Just don't call it de-escalation.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-p2xAyF6fA
(The Ghost Dog bear scene)

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Diarrhea Elemental posted:

Do you save up your breathless strawmanning for special occasions, or is this like a normal day for you?

The latter, it's their schtick.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

OHMYGOD, and there's only 10 months until the filing deadline!!!

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Wasabi the J posted:

Uh yeah. There's a loving process. You need to be campaigning if anything to get your name and platform out there.

There is indeed a process and all the candidates are probably following it. None of the potential candidates have the money, time or organization, let alone an articulable need, to start campaigning more than a year before the primaries.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

my kinda ape posted:

Please continue chili/garden chat, I miss my big garden at the house I used to rent so much :(
No pics, but the green beans, tomatoes and lettuces all ripened this week.

FAUXTON posted:

How are everyone's cats, dogs, rats, snakes, and other pets not enumerated here doing?
Haven't had to take a horse to the vet in over a month!
We've currently got a rabbit in the house who is unfortunately even more sneakily camera avoidant than he is adorable.

Also this week,
This is the first car 17-year-old me fell in love with:

Not just this model or this year, but this car.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

not caring here posted:

That an Austin Healy?

Yep.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I feel like we’ve made this mistake before...

Probably, I just wish we'd made that one in 2016, rather than the purity protest vote because we know who's going to win anyway mistake.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

I didn't say I'd protest vote though?

No, you're talking about doing the opposite, which more people should have done in 2016 and will most likely be the far better course in November 2020, too.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Arc Light posted:

Be the hero this thread needs

Probably can't beat the guy Dallas needed to send in a robot to execute.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

holocaust bloopers posted:

Wasn’t the two appointed seats supposed to vote against this?

One of them did, the other just likes punishing defendants twice for the same crime and giving Mulligans to prosecutors who lose at trial more.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

orange juche posted:

Wasn't oregon the state with the sovcits who broke into Malheur and trashed a visitor center?

Malheur is in Oregon, but the sovcits had come from various states to attend a different protest in nearby Burns, OR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Godholio posted:

Iran got ready for this poo poo after Desert Storm. After years of war with Iraq they were pretty worn out; but they saw what happened in 90/91 just like everyone else. The entirety of the list of potential US adversaries collectively gulped and started spending money.

I was wondering what was the step between
1) The last time Iran fought a conventional war (if using WWI strategy and tactics, and a literal Children's Crusade in the 1980s is conventional war) was a disastrous clown-show clusterfuck.
and
3) OHMYGOD the Iranian superarmy will wipe up the battlefield with us if we go to war* with them.

Is there any evidence that Iran has fielded actual, modern and reliable equipment? Is there any evidence that they have restructured their upper military organization and strategic thinking, as well as their operational units' leadership and tactics?
Or is the concern not so much with Iranian warfighting, but more that an IED every 100m of the 1000 km to Tehran is going to figuratively and literally bleed us dry?

*still a bad, bad, idea