Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
horvitz won a game of wits with a genie and was granted indestructible vocal chords

the man shouldn’t be able to get through a session without coughing blood at this point and yet he’s still belting out lines with just as much vigor as he was 25 years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for the longest time i thought american dad was just more family guy, but i guess not so much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPqwy6gv0KQ

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
seems plausible, especially the bit about blowing all their budget on celebrity voice talent (trying to get weird al, are you serious)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
wonder how much of this was meant to be in the canceled episode

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

A.o.D. posted:

That means what, reality shows? Game shows? Youtube react videos?

the man is apparently a fanatic for reality TV, every network he's touched has been gutted and filled with My 600 Lbs Life-tier trash

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
there’s a really sharp divide between the episodes before and after the movie came out

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I know some artists claim that AI generated art is just stealing other people's art, but that is basically what all artists do. They take a bunch of other people's art and transform and combine it in novel ways.

taking someone's work wholesale and then claiming as your own after running it through a glorified filter isn't what i would call novel

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the first episode of the original just felt like they took the pilot and ruined the timing of its jokes

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
watching Tigtone and Lazor Wolf before HBO sends them into the tall grass

LW seems like the sort of meandering anti-humor I got tired of when ATHF was still airing but Tigtone’s made me guffaw a few times and the art is at turns great and fascinatingly grotesque (also great)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished tigtone and i fear permanent damage of english language has been done of me, by tigtone

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
final space got double whammied by being canceled on a "bad guy wins, everything's doomed" cliffhanger

i never took an interest in the series but that always sucks to see

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
oh gently caress off

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Macaluso posted:

I'm extremely invested in the happiness of the owl demon

i'm not a helluva boss superfan but stolas is probably the #1 thing that kept it relevant, the cast of hazbin hotel is almost universally repellant but leaning onto his domestic troubles gave the show a pathos that hazbin (and helluva's pilot) lacked

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
anyone who uses the laugh-cry emoji on this forum in any context should be instantly decapitated by a samurai sword

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
he loving sucks and was among the lowest points of a very, very bad pilot

atrocious color palette, trapper-keeper doodle design, never shut the hell up despite having nothing to say

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Nikumatic posted:

yeah I’m not going to go to bat for catboy butler visual design though the character designs are hit or miss for me across the board here; but i love the slimy obsolescence of someone who used to be a massive deal who is now trying to latch onto a potential sea change that could return them to relevance, while bluffing about their current reach and power to shoehorn their way in. filtering that through radio just works and im a huge mark for old radio sound design. he evokes American Gods in a way I dig, at least as presented in the pilot.

the pilot makes it clear that he’s inexplicably super powerful (like one tier below hell’s nobility despite being recently damned) and causes chaos for shits and giggles. I don’t know if that was revised, but it would be nice because he was exactly as dull as the description makes him sound

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the point is that there’s nothing about him in the pilot that supports nikumatic’s take on him (which, to be clear, would be a substantial improvement). it starts by talking about him like he’s a pinstriped extinction event and ends with him dragging another threat off to the shadow realm with no obvious effort

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 15, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
someone was pooh-pooh’ing episode 4 earlier but it has one of my favorite stupid jokes in the series when blitzo’s introducing himself to loopty

“Name’s Blitzo, the O is silent!”
“What O?”
“Aww, ‘preciate it. So what’s the tea, sis?”
“The T…?”

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 16, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

quote:

Can anyone…shut the gently caress up? Can anyone, ca- can anyone, any one, any single one, shut the gently caress up about anything? About any single thing? Can any single person shut the gently caress up about any single thing for…an hour? You know? Is that- is that possible?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Warbird posted:

Fukkin what

the first antagonist of db super and probably the #1 reason it became popular is beerus, the god of destruction

his job is to blow up planets so new ones can be born. not evil in itself, but he has no sense of proportionate response and the temperament of a particularly cranky housecat, so he reacts to most slights by exploding the planet he's standing on and going home in a sulk. the first arc has him almost do this to earth before he gets addicted to its food, and he eventually winds up cowed by bulma because he's not really used to people talking back to him

it should be noted that the original draft for beerus had his name as "virus" and his background as a super-evil god responsible for the saiyans' corruption and warlike culture. toriyama glanced at the notes, misread his name, and decided to rewrite him as a personified version of his favorite pet cat along with an entire alcohol-themed pantheon

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
problematic associations notwithstanding, the james/desslar scene was probably the standout. perfect noir mix of weariness and tragedy

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
of all the problems with season 5’s ending, “undoing the megalomaniacal demon’s eons-king reign of suffering and despoilment” isn’t that high on the list

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Quick question - did anyone else feel Dede was much smarter than Dexter? Smart enough to not be hung up about it?

it varies depending on the writers, though on the balance she couldn’t walk and chew gum at the same time

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
del toro's arguing against the use of visual shorthand in film, which reduces every character to a series of stock archetypes. somewhat similar to tracy butler's old tutorial on proper expressions in comics

we've already seen what del toro likes in animation because he directed the excellent pinocchio film last year (as opposed to the terrible pinocchio film last year), but something like anomalisa would probably be up his alley as well

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-2799Y07Zc

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

roomtone posted:

What are some good adult animated movies? Watched a few things recently like fantastic planet and coraline, although coraline felt pretty family friendly. Doesn't need to be a lot of swearing and whatever, just not coming from the disney/pixar sort of place.

Never seen nightmare before christmas, going to watch that next.

anomalisa, del toro’s Pinocchio, The House

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
if we're including anime then Inu-Oh was my #1 movie of last year. jaw-dropping stuff

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
eat your Japanese Breakfast at The Japanese House

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Madoka isn't comparable at all. Narutaru only passingly so. The big issue with MIA is the writer's open fetishism of the material.

yeah i have to assume made in abyss' mainstream popularity spike was because it has a strong hook (protagonist goes to seek answers and glory in a cave system that's somewhere between jules verne and an open mouth to hell) but the author has an extremely obvious torture/degradation fetish and becomes even more obvious as they go

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it was on toonami even

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
utterly embarrassing post

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
assepoester/the united states exclusively machine-guns youtube links, I don’t think they actually watch most of them before posting

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Vandar posted:

All this talk of endings makes me wonder something, so I'll pass this question to all of you:

How do you end The Simpsons?

They've already done more 'flash ahead to see what's happening to everyone in the future' episodes than I can count, so you can't really do that.

How do you end a show that's been around for long, had such a huge impact on pop culture, and is so very long past it's prime?

High Warlord Zog posted:

And they are dancing, the board floor slamming under the jackboots and the fiddlers grinning hideously over their canted pieces. Towering over them all is Homer and he is naked dancing, his small feet lively and quick and now in doubletime and bowing to the ladies, huge and pale and hairless, like an enormous infant. He never sleeps, he says. He says he’ll never die. He bows to the fiddlers and sashays backwards and throws back his head and laughs deep in his throat and he is a great favorite, Homer. He wafts his hat and the lunar dome of his skull passes palely under the lamps and he swings about and takes possession of one of the fiddles and he pirouettes and makes a pass, two passes, dancing and fiddling at once. His feet are light and nimble. He never sleeps. He says that he will never die. He dances in light and in shadow and he is a great favorite. He never sleeps, Homer. He is dancing, dancing. He says that he will never die.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

mutantIke posted:

All my Animation Zoomer friends are talking about this pilot so I decided to give it a watch. Unmistakably amateurish (sort of moves like the Garfield show) but super impressive. Watch it before the mix of high-concept dark comedy, approachable character designs, and Lore turn it into the next Heckin Pibbly Glitch
https://youtu.be/HwAPLk_sQ3w

oh hey, i remember gooseworx from their Little Runmo short. good stuff

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
agreed on the general weakness of circus’ premise/cast, though the performances are all strong

Jax is probably going to be the fan favorite just because his dialogue isn’t mostly panicked stammering

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Jax’s performance is apparently based on Raggedy Andy

https://youtu.be/QaLGvEUsdzE?si=Nm3fg2zMAtGK95ys

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the kojiro duel is one of those events that's been so often embellished that there's some dispute over whether it happened it all but history generally does paint musashi as a guy who was really good at killing people with a sword and whose view of duels mainly consisted of "they can't complain about following the rules if they're dead"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
blue eyed samurai finale: i don't know much about tokugawa-era architecture but i find it hard to believe that a single dropped candle could set the entire imperial city aflame. even for rule of dramatics it seemed a little silly. i kept thinking back to uncharted 3's ending where a single bullet ricochet dominoes into a whole civilization collapsing

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

good lord

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dessel posted:

There seem to be more clever posters here than so I'll throw my largest annoyance about the Blue Eye Samurai finale The absolute uselessness of the defenders for the Shogunate. Firearms weren't unheard of in Tokugawa/Edo period Japan as far as I'm aware, the soldiers acting like bunch of doofuses against them kinda annoyed me. I know the show was supposed to be a work of fiction partially by someone who's actively seeking to comment on mixed heritage and racism, but how the battle went left me wanting and honestly slightly angry. Sure we don't get any/all of the background, the warlord's army just marching into Edo suggests the Shogunate was caught pants in their ankles/a betrayal like that was just unthinkable or something. Maybe the scenes had to happen fast for pacing, but come on, give them boys some reasonable depiction of resistance, I don't believe the defenders would have acted like that/been that ineffective in reality. I am not arguing some stupid gun vs. sword thing here (....except maybe inside with the lords and the Shogun...)

I did enjoy the show but that part about the finale left me with a little bit of a sour taste in my mouth. It's not like the show was aiming for realism but eh.

the final battle did seem kind of perfunctory to focus on the individual character clashes, though in general the show seems to be operating in an alternate history where firearms were just wholesale destroyed after japan closed its borders and institutional knowledge of them disappeared. they can barely work out the physics of an arrow versus a bullet until they've been perforated by the latter