Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Electric Phantasm posted:

The recycling episode where it ends by zooming out past their recycled paradise to show the world hosed up by the waste of big companies.

Now that's some top quality cynicism.

It’s not even really cynicism so much as an objectively correct point of “the emphasis on personal recycling responsibility is and always has been the actual primary drivers of pollution deflecting from their culpability in a palatable-to-Protestants-packaging”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

readingatwork posted:

Aggretsuko continues to be a fun show with low-key awful politics. In previous seasons the problem was a satire of work culture that ultimately reaffirms every aspect of the status quo but this season all that is back-burnered in favor of politics humor that is clearly terrified of discussing something political. A good chunk of the season revolves around [redacted] running for office but ideology, policies, or even the vaguest sense of how this character would want to change things is never mentioned. It all has a very Andrew Yang Forward party vibe to it and I hate it so much.

Also I swear to god if this show tries to redeem Haida’s family I will loose my poo poo. :argh:

E: Done with the season. LMAO the bad guy wins the election by proposing literally the only policy mentioned all season where people over 65 would be barred from office. I think the show thinks this is a good idea and the solution to Japan’s problems? It’s a fantastic example of how fascism wins over empty centrist bullshit. It’s a shame the show’s not self aware enough to realize how insightful this is.

Also, God damnit I KNEW they’d try and redeem Hydra’s brother. Well gently caress you show, I still hate him!:argh::argh::argh:

Agreed with pretty much everything here. But age limits on public office are good and that one isn’t low enough.

The big take away from Aggretsuko is “being ground into dust by a broken society is fine as long as you get mad about it but not in a way that matters”

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

This Lilly person is a real piece of work. I hate to be associated with her even tenuously as a certified Korra Disliker but what can ya do. Internet loonies gonna internet loony.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

The demand that Steven Universe didactically instruct tweens to blow up pipelines and kill their conservative parents was maybe not fair, as cool as a show like that would be. The insinuation that SU was pro-fascist propaganda was completely deranged. It was a personal story Sugar was telling about their fantasies about conflict resolution and human connection.

To be fair here, maybe the personal fantasy of Sugar’s would have worked better without a colonial space empire that genocides whole planets. I think maybe the theme of peaceful conflict resolution might have been easier to work without sabotaging yourself in that way. Just lower the stakes a smidge maybe!

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Mar 24, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Xelkelvos posted:

Writers don't usually change on a dime. What are you taking about? Writers stay on for at least one story arc so their stints can be from 3 or 4 months to years unless it's a standalone issue. Artists change a little more often but id teams in big series are rarely broken up.

Monthly Comic books are like sitcoms or soap operas, not prestige TV. As long as you know who the characters are (maybe some background with Wikipedia), you can get the ghost of what's going on and then jump back to older stuff later if need be.

“At least one story arc” is an incredibly low bar by the standards of most other mediums.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Hopefully he can bring a little more energy to Scott when appropriate.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Neeksy posted:

Isn't this the same issue that underpins the helluva boss/hazbin hotel stuff?

Not really no. Helluva Boss they honestly don’t really do much that’s morally black and when they do it’s mostly to other demons who are far worse or it’s maximally absurdist.

Whereas Captain Fall is very much reveling in more ‘real’ monstrous poo poo, and human trafficking and rape are kiiiinda not very funny.

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Aug 29, 2023

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Open Source Idiom posted:

It is vaguely bad taste to make toys of space nazis tbh

Not that I have taste, but the point still stands.

Then how am I supposed to have the good guy toy punch them and go PSHKOW with my mouth if there’s no space nazi toy, huh smart guy???

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

It is a real shame Beastars fell apart so catastrophically because the start was an absolute banger. Ah well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I’m in the same boat where there are parts of HH/HB that I like, but as a whole it’s trying way too hard to do that edgy teen Newgrounds culture deal that I just can’t.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It doesn't have to try, it was born in it, moulded by it.

Oh I know. But a general sense of trying too hard is exactly what that entails.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Benagain posted:

Jesus Christ the new X-Men is horny as hell magneto why are you wearing what looks like a sleeveless dress with arm length gloves to your trial for crimes against humanity

Because he’s a ten and you fives need to sit down and listen when a ten is speaking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I've been watching Delicious in Dungeon and it's great light-hearted fun for the most part.

The idea of a dungeon being an ecosystem and all the bizarre creatures filling important roles and the importance of surviving in the dungeon without disturbing that ecosystem too much is a brilliant idea. Also, no one does cooking and making food look delicious like anime does.

But, like the last light-hearted silly anime I watched, Mashle: Magic and Muscles where a guy born without magic goes to wizard school and cheeses every test with his muscle and fitness, you get half way through the season and it takes a sudden swerve into body horror.

I know the idea is to up the stakes so people don't get bored, but it's just such a tonal shift from what were silly little comedies up until that point. I've never liked it when comedies do that.

The Robin Williams movie, Good Morning Vietnam is a great comedy until half way through when they suddenly remember, oh Vietnam was a poo poo show, and rest of the movie bears almost no resemblance to the first half. And it's that movie which made me really dislike comedies which suddenly decide to be dramas.

You can have comedies with drama. And dramas with comedy. But a pure comedy switching to pure drama doesn't work and more than it would the other way around.

tl:dr I'll have a Wendys burger.

The key is that it was never a comedy. The show starts with someone being graphically eaten and a discussion of the logistics of them being digested with a completely straight face for a reason.

Dungeon Meshi never stops being an optimistic show, that having been said. But it's not unserious. The jokes usually have a point or tell you something about the characters which is important to know.