Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Macaluso posted:

There's drama about HH and HB every week cause people don't want to simply not watch the show they hate made by the creator they hate

Also that dumb video being 44 minutes long reminded me of that Steven Universe video that wouldn't stop getting recommended to me that was like STEVEN UNIVERSE BAD ACTUALLY?!? and was like 3 hours long.

Is that the Lilly Orchard one where she starts screaming unhingedly in the middle of the video that she wants to literally murder Rebecca Sugar or whatever? I seem to recall Steven Universe was her deranged serial killer origin story for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

wait what? like i am not really a fan of stephen universe, like humor/art/fanbase/stephens early voice turned me off of it but i get that its genuinly good show, so what pissed lilly off so much for that.

Not a drat clue. I just remember seeing a 10 second out of context clip curbed from somewhere in the video essay where Orchard is screaming in legitimate rage, like the kind that can't be faked unless you're a really good actor, just "gently caress YOU REBECCA SUGAR gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOU I HOPE YOU loving DIE VIOLENTLY YOU loving BITCH!"

And that made me go "Okay, I never want to hear this person's thoughts on anything ever again."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

I mean... Blitzo has merch and he's an abusive shithead too.

Lily of the hundred and one tweet 'writer tips' thread which is basically just her likes and dislikes but treating them like it's taught in every university.

That wasn't so much a list of writing tips as it was "Lily woke up one morning really mad about She-Ra for some reason and decided the whole world had to pay for it." And the rest is Internet History.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

they sound like a real peach to be around.

Orchard is also a credibly accused abuser, manipulator, and sexual groomer. Including responding to one person's evidence-backed allegations of abuse with the statement that her accuser needed to "die in a ditch & [she] wished his wife would break up with him in the ugliest way possible once they got married".

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pixaal posted:

Goku friends *everyone* He becomes friends with a demon named Piccolo at the end of the original series. At the end of Z he becomes friends with Buu. The only enemy they actually killed was Frieza. I mean he comes back a few times with dragonballs but he never really gets redeemed he always backstabs Goku. Going back further in Dragonball I think Tao is similar in he comes back and still evil.

And even loving Frieza has transitioned from irredeemably evil to "wild card sometimes ally who's still kind of evil but not like obsessed with killing Goku anymore" over the course of Dragon Ball Super thanks to Goku's real super power: friendship.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yup, and I for one welcome the return of Toriyama's silly side.

I love that Toriyama introduces the Most Strongest Character In The Universe, Don't Even Try To Fight Him, has him be a thread for like 45 minutes, and then he spends the rest of Super's runtime basically just being Bulma's lovely cat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
For example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbajqDtPhIo&t=46s

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Shindragon posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJM1JtZ8lmQ

The incredible work this guy does. Worth the wait honestly.

Now to wait another seven years :v:

My god, has it really been six years between episodes? I guess quality really does take time, especially since it's basically a one man show besides the voice acting.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neeksy posted:

Tennapel was pretty notorious for well over a decade for being a vocal bigot and that bigotry had direct consequences to his career in a hugely public way, man. And it wasn't some one-off appearance, either.

If there was a reckoning and apology, etc. that's great, but it was a hosed-up situation that's more than what you're playing it off as.

We had something like this happen over in the Star Trek thread regarding Star Trek: Picard's showrunner Terry Matalas, where he went on a bunch of right wing bigots' podcasts to do press for the third season of the show and then just... kept going on more and more and more right wing bigots' podcasts. And when he was called out for it on Twitter he was like "Oh, well how was I supposed to know these guys were a bunch of white supremacist misogynists, how could I POSSIBLY have known?" despite there being literal years worth of easily googleable evidence of these peoples' bigotry on full display, and then he just kept going on more and more right wing bigots' podcast to hype the show after getting called out for it.

And people were like "please stop reminding me that the showrunner is chud-friendly, I just want to consume the media in peace without thinking about it" and the general consensus was kind of "no."

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oh my God, there were people who actually WANTED to watch Star Trek: Picard? I thought that show was made as a joke.

Credit where it's due, Season 3 is at least watchable, even enjoyable. It's just made by a dude who's really buddy buddy close with a lot of really gross sons of bitches.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

problematic associations notwithstanding, the james/desslar scene was probably the standout. perfect noir mix of weariness and tragedy

Finally got around to watching this last night I found myself going back and watching that scene multiple times. It was so well done.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

very owl house look to it. also i like that they are going with "clark is big weird awkard doofus" thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vffu6FG4YP4

anyway lakadaisy pilot hit. I like it enough. i think some of the writing isnt my thing but i never read the comic but apperently this is a pilot and they want to make more.

Haven't watched the whole thing yet, but from what I've already seen yeah the comic is basically exactly this beat-for-beat.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Also

https://twitter.com/edgarwright/status/1641440477718388739

They got the whole drat cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. the World back for the anime adaptation.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i feel like i should read it more. id probably get it more. it was fun though.

nice. i wanted to like scott pilgrim but never read the comic and the movie was bad.

The movie is something of a flawed masterpiece. Visually and stylistically phenomenal with a stellar cast and a great soundtrack... that tries to cram 6 entire books worth of content into 2 hours and kind of fails miserably at it, especially after front-loading the first 30 minutes with basically all of Book 1 and then sprinting like mad to get through the remaining five as fast as it can once the premise of the film is finally unveiled.

Hopefully with a full season-length anime they can take the time needed to devote to fully realizing each of the books in a little more depth this time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

I always thought the core concept of Scott Pilgrim was weird and kind of off putting since it's basically just "some dude murders a bunch of people so he can feel confident enough to date a girl", but it seemed to vibe with a lot of other people so I'm glad they're getting a fun new cartoon to enjoy.

For what it's worth, O'Malley has since come out and said that none of the Evil Exes actually died when they were defeated, just teleported back to wherever they came from originally no worse for wear aside from whatever damage they took in the fight and some bruised egos. Maybe the anime might incorporate that, who knows.

There was also at one point going to be a twist ending where Scott was literally just a stone cold serial killer and the books were his psychosis rationalizing his actions and yeah he was on the run for just murdering eight people in cold blood because he fell in love with Ramona and decided to slay everyone else who ever loved her.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sivart13 posted:

the approach best matches the 2020s zeitgeist is to give it the FF7 Remake treatment where the timeline is fractured and various Scotts and Gideons and what have you are battling it out amongst infinite Ramonas in the multiverse

not saying that's what's gonna happen but 🤔

Make a Nega Gideon to go along with Nega Scott, just a dude who's really cool and chill and really fun to hang out with and just shows up to vibe with Scott and the gang while actual Gideon constantly plots their downfall elsewhere.

No wait, I basically just described Comeau. Comeau is Nega Gideon, poo poo.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Assepoester posted:

I really liked the voices from Scott Pilgrim vs The Animation, and I think it fit rear end in a top hat slacker Scott who thinks he's hot poo poo because he's in a band better, but I guess the movie cast is iconic for most people

The cast of Scott Pilgrim vs. The Animation IS the movie cast though :confused: That's literally just Michael Cera, Mae Whitman, Allison Pill and Jason Schwartzman...

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

The first time I watched Helluva Boss I thought to myself, "there's something about this that feels like the people working on it grew up being fans of Invader Zim" and that was BEFORE Moxxie even showed up

Bless Richard Horvitz. I hope he gets to be in Hamilton one day like he dreams about :allears:

edit: #HAM4HORVITZ

I'm picturing him playing King George now and just having a blast with all three iterations of You'll Be Back.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

They might be ballparking when the writer's strike will end since that obviously affects a lot of shows. But other than that I dunno either, seems weird.

Animation writers apparently aren't covered under the WGA umbrella and have their own smaller, much less powerful union. It's why Disney keeps getting away with murder when it comes to abusing their animated show staffs. So they're not on strike with the rest of the WGA right now.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

This is really impressive! I love Miss Conduct and her...just, everything

She's like a cross between Yzma and Saira Bellum from the Netflix Carmen Sandiego cartoon.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If it'll be anything like literally every other single futurama run, there will be a lot of mediocre to below average episodes leading up to a final episode that blows everyone away and brings even the hardest person to tears, right as it gets cancelled again.

And then we'll do it all over again in another ten years.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neeksy posted:

I think they have some kind of Tiny Toons builders show they've been pushing, but I lack any desire to check into it further.

My guess is Zaslav is of the mind that CN was only for small children and thus was easier to just shove into a streaming box for parents to put on whenever and fold it all into Warner animation, instead of actually investing in CN as a platform to air and distribute the first-run material for the streaming platforms to then act as archive for.

I get the sense that David Zaslav doesn't really understand anything beyond a financial spreadsheet and the ways to get the "balance owing" cell of the pivot table as close to $0 as he can, given that he tried to sell his new revamped streaming service to people on the backs of the by-then death spiraling DC movie franchise and the 90 Day Fiance Cinematic Universe of all possible things.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

I’m glad it got a 2 season order, that’s enough to mix some villain of the week in addition to a larger arc. Course it would be cool if it runs for 50 or so episodes but I’ll take what I can get.

https://twitter.com/jakewyattriot/status/1678432470243606528

Season orders don't mean anything anymore in the age of media erasure. Don't get excited until it actually airs somewhere.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Assepoester posted:

First Venture Bros and now Squidbillies, Adult Swim shows continue to be removed from HBO Max and become lost media

https://comicbook.com/anime/news/max-removals-august-2023-cartoon-network-adult-swim/ https://twitter.com/RMaster007/status/1683545956547952640

Over The Garden Wall getting Zaslav'd is gonna piss quite a few people off, I imagine.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Wasn't it taken over by a guy who had no experience in a writer role.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxIqCRsxYUA

This video sums up what went wrong with Gen.Lock and yeah the primary culprits are Gray Haddock and Michael B. Jordan--Jordan for lobbying so hard for the show to even get a second season to begin with when everyone else with a working brain could easily tell that it was a very bad idea, and Haddock for, well, literally everything else holy poo poo watch the video.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Aug 6, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ompoD7V42DM

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Happy Landfill posted:

They said back when it was announced that the original cast was reprising their roles. Still cool to see that confirmed, especially since Evans and Larsen have become huge stars since the movie originally came out

They did a table read cast reunion version of the movie during COVID a couple years ago and they basically got everyone back for that too except for Kieran Culkin and Brie Larson purely because they were busy filming at the time so they couldn't otherwise make it. Everyone involved in this whole universe just seems to love it so much.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dawgstar posted:

Larson coming back? I can hear the 'sCotT pIlGrIm HaS gOnE wOkE' now! :allears:

I've already seen a couple of chuds loudly proclaim they're boycotting the show because Brie Larson is in it. Nevermind the fact that she was one of the best parts of the movie and loving knocked Black Sheep out of the park and will probably also kill the poo poo out of whatever songs they give Envy and/or Clash At Demonhead this time around too. Because that's also Mark Webber, Allison Pill and Michael Cera singing the track on the trailer, so I'm guessing they're gonna like the actors sing certain songs again like they did for the movie.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Neito posted:

Scott's been my go-to example of "People thinking that because someone's the main character they're a good person" right up until Rick and Morty came out.

That said, I'm charged for this. The style is perfect, I really thought that the movie cast hit their roles so well (especially Cera as Scott), and that the only thing the movie really needed was time to breathe, which the series will either get, or be canceled by Netflix because Netflix hates good things.

It sounds like it's going to be eight 40-minute episodes, so that should hopefully be enough time to cover the whole series in the depth it deserves.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

mutantIke posted:

I hope the extended runtime means they're gonna go super faithful and include stuff like the extended fight sequence taking place in Honest Ed's

If the Honest Ed's fight isn't in the anime, then it is an objective 0/10 failure.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

koolkal posted:

Heh, it reminds me a lot of when they announced a live action Aladdin spinoff of like the one white guy side character in it

That was some peak Disney Executive Brain poo poo. Instead of green lighting a sequel to the one live action Disney remake outside of Maleficent that almost managed to justify its existence, they proposed a spin-off TV show centered around not only the only white character in the film, but a dude who shows up for about a minute, barely speaks English and does so in a huurdy guurdy merp merp merp Swedish Chef voice, and was a nothing more than a walking sight gag.

I legit think that that was just a trial balloon to see "Okay, what's the most shameless thing we announce for Disney+ before we get finally get any pushback on it" back when the sky seemed like it was the limit for D+. It was Disney testing where the electric fences were.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Michael Cera proving even a decade after the fact that he was the perfect choice to play Scott Pilgrim all along.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AlternateNu posted:

Except Leeron is the best drat character in the show.

Leeron was also, I believe, the start of a competition between Steve Blum and Crispin Freeman to see which of them could say the dirtiest possible thing in the recording booth in-character and get it on the gag reel which lasted for many years across many anime dubs they were a part of.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

TwoPair posted:

:hai:

What's the over-under on the commentators saying Luffy's name wrong?

You honestly think Hoda Kotb gives a poo poo that it's pronounced "Loofy?" Get outta here!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Ccs posted:

Yeah I really enjoyed the movie, great songs, but I hear many conflicting things about Future so I'm debating whether to watch it or just go back to shows made for my age group containing much less emotionally mature characters but lots more blood and sex.

Future is a mess, yes, but it also puts the needed capstone on all the dangling threads the show and the movie leave twisting, so it really is the Ending to the series. Unfortunately because a lot of those dangling threads are messy bitch drama, the ending is a messy bitch mess. But it's 3 and a half hours and then it's done. Just power through it and then move on to whatever else you wanna do or watch.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

KingKalamari posted:

Honestly, I think the big turning point in our cultural attitude (At least online) came about as a response to the rise of extremism masquerading under the guise of irony. I think it's also reflective of a cycle of people being less receptive to actual, structural criticism in economic boom periods. While you got works that try to tackle societal issues back in the 90s, those works were often too timid to push for actual, systemic change to address the issues these issues because this sort of media is ultimately being created by people benefiting from that very societal structure. They are instead forced to simply wallow in the tragedy of these issues and go "Ho hum, things sure are bad but what can we do about it?"

It's funny, I was actually just reading random Reddit threads of people complaining that "all movies these days are too irony-poisoned and quippy"* when, in all honesty, I feel like our media and social interactions have actually gotten been trending towards being more sincere overall. People are more aware of and more actively discussing broad social issues that media irreverently mocked 15 years ago and projecting a persona of being flippantly detached from everyone and everything is no longer the expected mode of engagement.

* - Which is sort of true of mainstream blockbusters, but not really for the reasons Redditors keep saying

The people who say "all movies are too irony-poisoned and quippy these days" are the people who only consume godawful franchise movies and nothing else so they literally have no idea what actual cinema is like in comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ28knLt5Rs

Cody Johnston actually just did a really great breakdown on why people think like this too.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Flopsy posted:

Franchise movies is sentence I haven't heard before but it's absolutely perfect. They're just movies shunted out to make money like toy cartoons in the 80's.

More to the point, the better descriptor for them would be Brand Movies, because they are, like you said, just toy brands at this point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLvRvqByxUI

Final trailer for Scott Pilgrim Takes Off.

Looks like they're really taking advantage of the longer format and having multiple fights with the Evil Exes, or at least having them stick around after their defeated this time.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

anatomi posted:

Pleas don't let HBO know.

Deep in his lair beneath Warner Bros. HQ, David Zaslav stirs. He's heard there is a critically acclaimed and audience beloved animated series on his 90 Day Fiancee streaming service and assembles his accountant goblin minions to kill it and bring him the tax rebate to add to his hoard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Also Protoman is evil and Wily is German for some reason

I mean he was modeled after Albert Einstein, so it kind of tracks. Proto Man being evil and the creation of Dr. Wily is just weird though. I was gonna say "Why did they need to make Proto Man evil when Bass was right there?" but I guess the show actually pre-dated Mega Man 7 by like at least a year or more, so Bass wasn't even a thing they could have drawn on for a rival character to Mega Man.