Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

can we post stuff in here that isn’t tedious online lefty anger podcasts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Cocaine and Rhinestones
Good country music history podcast, currently in development on season 2. Guy is kind of smugly annoying sometimes but still very interesting material

Hit Parade
Pop music history, really incredible. Guy is not smugly annoying. Recommended first eps: Stevie Wonder (Everybody Say Yeah!), Britney Spears (Give Me a Sign [this one contains my favorite music factoid of all time]), Donna Summer (Queen of Disco)

The Siecle
History of 19th century France. It just started so hasn't gotten to the parts I'm most interested to hear about (Charles X being a total moron, Dreyfus) but still good so far

Unfortunately none of these people are mad on twitter, so y'all might not like them

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

The Lobotomy Kid posted:

I'm at the Chapo show in Dublin and it's the first time I've seen a queue for the men's room.

lmao

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

I skipped all of the English Civil War and American Revolution parts because I just did not care

I started listening to a podcast about the British Empire and the first like 20 episodes are about Stuart family drama, mega yawn

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

I keep hoping she'll redeem herself, but boy oh boy, not the way to do it.

not sure you can be redeemed from "the chinese exclusion act was good"

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

TheBalor posted:

Didn't she also call Sargon a "remarkable intellectual" or something?

probably

the first thing she got well known for was blaming tumblr teens for all the new nazis we have today

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Majorian posted:

Yikes, did she really say that?:chloe: If so yeah, that’s prob beyond the edge of redemption.

it’s in her anti-immigration article which I can’t find a link to right now

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

lol i forgot she didn't even have the guts to actually say it and instead just referred to it vaguely as "the first law restricting immigration in 1882"

Admittedly, union opposition to mass migration was sometimes intermingled with racism (which was present across American society) in previous eras. What is omitted in libertarian attempts to smear trade unions as “the real racists,” however, is that in the days of strong trade unions, they were also able to use their power to mount campaigns of international solidarity with workers’ movements around the world. Unions raised the wages of millions of nonwhite members, while deunionization today is estimated to cost black American men $50 a week.5

""""sometimes""""

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PRESIDENT LADYCOP posted:

It never ceases to amaze me that people think Nagle is arguing in favor of racism rather than pointing out one the origins of working-class racism and what to do about it (make it so that the global economy isn't hosed in such a way that everyone must flock to the rich imperialist countries, and make it so people who do migrate aren't being exploited and undercutting the wages of local labor).

everyone should stay where they are born, except for me, an irish phd who gets to travel freely to the us and the eu

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

PRESIDENT LADYCOP posted:

Yeah, it's almost like brain drain and mass emigration are problems that require solutions at the national and international level rather than the individual.

this still presupposes that the good and natural thing is for people to stay where they are born, and not to move

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

"we gotta get more racist" -good praxis, apparently

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

y’all are gonna lose your minds when the revolutions guy says that maybe the Soviets did something bad once

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

MizPiz posted:

Has Nagel done anything besides making leftist posters thirsty?

Serious question

i don't think you know what "thirsty" means

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

they also said louis ck did nothing wrong and had angela nagle on so idk man

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

luckily I also think both of those podcasts are bad

but also, those were before her article about how the Chinese exclusion act was good

also the Louis ck thing...

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i say swears online posted:

we all know eventually some drama is going to break the brooklyn podcast world into factions

“eventually”

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

StashAugustine posted:

I mean true but you can be less of an rear end in a top hat about it

if you apply this broadly then chapo has no reason to exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Bip Roberts posted:

oh boy dollop live shows for 2.5 hours of hooting over a 2 paragraph wikipedia article.