Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

gave the behind the bastards epidodes about assad a go and laughed my rear end off at how wrong the hosts were. and also his vocal fry and stupid loving voice are hilarious too.

What did he get wrong specifically? Honestly asking. I know him bringing up tankies made some folks feel defensive.

BTB is easily the most accessible go-to primer on the evils of rampant capital and colonialism and their material effects I can think of. I don't really know if Robert Evans is a leftist but it's basically impossible for a normal person to listen to that show without radicalizing them to some extent. Show is good. Not as educational or eye-opening as others but it's good at making people mad and reminding you that our enemies are all literal monsters.

gh0stpinballa posted:

he does this other pod called behind the bastards and they just did a 2 parter on assad. his co host is a lib feminist who wants america to get deeper into syria. she supported the US bombing last year and altho she's supposed to be a syria expert she didn't know what the mukhabarat was until midway through part 1 lol

they both downplay the genocidal ideology of the "rebels", promote the MS paint journalism of bellingcat, and say obama "overthought" the situation whereas bush would have "at least gone in swinging" in 2011. they also say it's a shame iraq went badly because it scared obama away from invading syria. evans also claims the US provided minimal support to the "good" rebels, completely ignoring that altho it is true the US outsourced much of the arms and jihadi smuggling to regional allies, it's still one of the most expensive regime change efforts in CIA history by now.

i have no idea how this man can describe himself as an "anarcho leftist".

also i can't stand his smug voice and vocal fry.

I'll take your word for it. Though I don't believe at any time his co-host was described or presented as an expert on Syria, he's had her on several other unrelated eps and she's almost always dumb as a box of rocks. I think he chooses guests based on personal chemistry to bounce poo poo off of, not to seriously contribute to his presentation of a subject. I like Bob Evans though and while someone like you or I may not need to know why someone like George Bush Sr. was evil, there are lots of people who do and who are shocked by the depths of their wickedness.

Deified Data has issued a correction as of 17:47 on Jun 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

life is a joke posted:

I would also throw in Struggle Session because Leslie Lee is an A+ leftist and Jack Allison has a good BS detector but they talk about pop culture mostly so it's fun.

Goddamn Struggle Session sucks though. Love firing up an episode for a leftist critique of media only to get an hour of why things they like are cool and good while things they don't are vapid cultural dreck, completely arbitrarily.

Though I did appreciate their recent ep where they finally just own up to being contrarians , though with the caveat that you should never, ever call them that because they find it belittling. Remains the one podcast I've subbed, unsubbed, and subbed again the most times in succession.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lol if that was your takeaway from the Let People Enjoy Things episode, that poo poo is legitimately toxic and exists entirely to shut people up for saying the thing you like is bad

They say multiple times in the same episode the thing you just said, as well as "we are contrarians", stated plainly. At least Jack did and it got a sort of begrudging acknowledgement from Lesley :shrug:

I like the guys, I wouldn't keep resubbing if I didn't, but they're absolutely contrarians and making a whole episode about how they're not only cemented that fact further. Frankly it effects the quality of their critique and it's keeping their show from reaching it's true potential.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

and yet literally nothing they said in that episode about LPET is wrong

Those people they're talking about definitely exist but so do people like Jack and Lesley - that is, contrarians. They can be simultaneously correct that people who insist you remain uncritical of pop media suck and wrong in their own reflexive attitude towards it.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What are some good eps to get started with Your Kickstarter Sucks?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bedshaped posted:

The Halo 2 references were weird. Wouldn't have expect their audience to play bideo gaems (a fun way to say video games)

are you kidding

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
What is this without having to visit this site?

More anti-"woke" posturing?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I mostly like Amber when she's on the show (don't keep up with her non-Chapo shenanigans) but as sleeptalker said she'd have to at least identify as a feminist to be a terf, which I don't think she does. On Chapo at least she's stated a preference for traditional gender roles several times, which is not necessarily an anti-feminist thing to say but without context seems designed to be interpreted that way. As a fan I hope she doesn't Nagle herself someday.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

uncurable mlady posted:

amber's opinions seem to be pretty straightforward - modern feminism is more concerned with performative wokeness and more women prison guards than it is in challenging capitalism and providing material economic benefits to workers.

If she stopped there would we be having this conversation

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

chapo certainly going for an interesting take cleanly combining: 1) even if elected a leftist president would be unlikely to be able to pass their economics policies, but it would be important in building a societal shift, with 2) we should jettison all concern for other social issues to elect the candidate with the purest economics policies, passing those will do far more for vulnerable groups.

i presume there is an actual agreement to never have arguments about actual fundamental politics on the podcast (or they are amazingly in sync), because i can't say the stances that come up mesh all that well always.

bernie still the best option ofc.

#2 isn't really a discussion though? If Bernie were somehow worse on any of these issues than any other candidate then we'd be talking about it. When did Chapo explicitly say say these issues should be ignored?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

ReapersTouch posted:

This was mentioned very early in the thread, but man is Trillbillies really funny and good.

Trillbillies is cool. Listening to them makes me want to blow my brains out but if 2020 doesn't pan out we may as well all be as blackpilled as they are anyway.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
When idpol is weaponized by disingenuous people it's transparent as hell. Being skeptical of lovely people who intentionally use it as a wedge (see the Ilhan Omar thing) is not the same thing as being skeptical of idpol as a concept.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Hurt Whitey Maybe posted:

did Current Affairs go after red scare in their opener?

just doing vocal fry and bad politics

That was my impression

Current Affairs is corny sometimes and I'm frankly uncomfortable with the amount of Harvard grads they have on their podcast but I'm not gonna pretend red Scare/Amber haven't earned this treatment lol. If their skin is as thick as they want everyone else's to be it shouldn't be a problem.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Did Current Affairs err in some way besides having an occasionally silly segment on their show

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I mean it's not like he shouldn't.

But not until the others do first.

Haven't read this article though. The worst part about CA is how bougie it seems but they all seem to have their hearts in the right place.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Amber is a contrarian who would be an ancap if she were born and raised in the Soviet Union but I still like her despite myself

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is War Nerd Patreon-only? I can't find it anywhere on my player.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My GF is a mostly left-leaning lib but gets lovely about strikes that inconvenience her or labor action in general because "they don't have to work for company X, get another job"

Amber has the same opinion about sexual assault and workplace harassment, which I suppose makes her about as left as my lib GF

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

Amber is super pro-labour so... no.

My point is if you're lovely about the working conditions women have to put up with and your response to their complaints is "put up with it, we did", you're not quite as left as you think you are.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Montasque posted:

Wait, what did she say exactly? Was this about the Louis CK/Kath Barbado thing?

I've been kinda out of the loop on this drama and just came back to listening to pods and found out Dasha and Adam broke up because she's a Trad Cath or something.

Amber thinks #metoo is a wedge and not really worth considering at best, and actively something to work against at worst.

And of course there's a bit of truth to that because idpol in the hands of disingenuous people will spoil anything, but to my knowledge she's never stopped to make that distinction. There's an increasing amount of nuance to issues within labor and left politics that I think she just doesn't want to engage with, but if we don't, others will assume our positions for us. I think she can do a lot better.

THS posted:

amber and red scare have the kind of special brain worms you get from being surrounded by woker-than-thou insufferable NYC social climbers. they’ve reacted to this with an anti-woke aesthetic, which is just an immature baby response to the annoying idiots who aren’t a big deal outside their immediate academic and brooklyn bubbles

It's absolutely this.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Apoplexy posted:

LIBERAL Feminism is worthless. That's the ideology most of us associate with the term 'feminism' because of how broken America is. She is a feminist. A Marxist Feminist. The Good Kind of Feminist.

Has she described herself that way or are we putting words in her mouth?

I can't imagine her identifying as a feminist of any stripe.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Current Affairs is a good intro pod that puts women up front - it's not all female but they're mostly so on most eps. Brie Grey, Bernie's campaign press sec, came from there.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Taintrunner posted:

otoh they’re all bourgeois dweebs

That they are but they're decent folks :shrug: Maybe shoot them a VM shaming them for it and listen to them squirm on a voicemail ep, they probably feel the same way about it that you do.

Goon Danton posted:

I really liked trillbillies for a while but they do not jive well with anxiety and depression. Are there episodes with her that are more upbeat?

It's a good pod if you've either A) built up a lot of resistance to negativity and accept different people have different ways of dealing with post-capitalist stress, or B) are completely blackpilled and hitting the range every weekend waiting for the killing to start. I would not recommend it as an entry point to leftist podcasts. It is good though.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Robinson's accent is an affectation but frankly he's taken it too far to go back now - he has no choice but to do it forever

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Amber's politics will follow the arc of Lerouche on a long enough timeline.

Joke's on weird mike though I can call Amber an idiot and still like her.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

KirbyKhan posted:

Her being a woman is a deal breaker enough for me!! How can she talk about politics!? Where is her penis??

Why are you just reposting her actual opinions

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Felix just disappearing in today's Chapo and no one asks if he's still there til the end, and just silence lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Chapo and the trueanon people nailed exactly what would happen to Epstein

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
The only thing sweeter than Bernie's (frankly inevitable) victory would be the DNC and lib media succeeding in their goal of pushing Biden via monkey paw - at the expense of losing 90% of the electorate - and getting promptly and mercilessly owned by Trump. And then disintegrating as a national party because lol if anyone actually believes they'll be allowed to continue to exist.

Imagine the debates. Biden starts to stutter and Trump immediately mocks him like he did that disabled journalist. Dems cry foul while Trump's numbers soar. America deserves this outcome.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
It's like getting mad at someone who wronged you in a dream lol

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Is there a pod that just shits on every new ep of PSA that comes out? That would probably be okay for some laughs

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I was just recently recommended a podcast in RGD called Astonishing Legends. I'm only a half hour into their ten hour long series on the Betz Sphere, but honestly the fact that they have a ten hour long series on the Betz Sphere is enough to convince me that this is the podcast I've been looking for ever since Art Bell went off the air

I just couldn't get into this one - they were a bit too credulous.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

I've only heard one episode so far, but I think they're the right amount of credulous for me. It's not as fun if the hosts don't get into it a little. But without going full George Noory, where you just believe anything and never challenge the story at all.

I should try to hop back in - I just listened to their series on Skinwalker Ranch

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

gh0stpinballa posted:

lol at the hack fraud robert evans pretending he's never listened to chapo when worst year ever is literally a pg13 chapo knock off palatable to anarlib interventionists and his blue apron sponsors

eh since no one else is I guess I will bite, why is he a fraud

the only comment I see from him about Chapo is a tweet he made in May but that can't be all, right?

Evans isn't phenomenal and I agree that a nominally left-aligned person being Chapo-shy in 2019 is dumb as hell but his shows have radicalized some people in my life in a way that Chapo probably wouldn't reach without Behind the Bastards and It Could Happen Here breaking them in first

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Behind the Bastards is pretty good most of the time and if Nathan Robinson can pretend to be a British then Robert Evans can pretend to be a conflict journalist. I do not care that he thinks he's hard if he keeps making eps like the one about bin Laden's extensive hentai visual novel collection.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Amber isn't a feminist and therfore cannot be a terf. She has levels of "I just wanna grill" rarely seen outside of 50 year old men.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Well I was halfway through the latest Chapo live ep but I guess it's safe to stop listening now? Hearing people optimistic about Corbyn would just bum me out.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
My Doug Levinson take is that if he was put together in any way or was otherwise not a weird disheveled character there'd really be no sympathy for him, he'd be like any other entitled rear end yelling at a kid just trying to play music. Also imagine ruminating on a sick burn and workshopping it in your head for weeks like "respect the silence" just to unload it on a random busker of all people. I'm sorry i just find this little troll extremely unpleasant and not charming in a NYC Character kind of way.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

I think she's a librarian?

(Which is pretty cool. I wish I could have been a librarian.)

It's a cool gig. Really one of the only jobs I can imagine myself having where I wouldn't be able to participate in a general strike in good conscience without loving over a lot of poor folks. The pay is poo poo but the benefits rule and you don't feel like a tool at the end of the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Today's Chapo was weirdly sweet and invigorating at the same time.

I think they're definitely discounting the danger of Biden and overselling Bloomberg a bit but I appreciate a little optimism from the boys.