Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

lancemantis posted:

well now Virgil is gonna be angrily slamming waters so you’re going to have to wait for him to cool off

I actually have some exclusive footage of this to share

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Dr. Killjoy posted:

the idea that Virgil of all people has managed to earn Nick’s respect perplexes me, I have no idea how the hardcore broke-brained cum fans on the subreddit are taking it

it's not perplexing at all really, virgil has a history of very effective internet trolling

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah everyone keeps saying it but citations needed is the best out there. gets me to look at things i haven't questioned before in a new critical light.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Helsing posted:

I have complained about TrueAnon not living up to its potential in the past but I have to say their unlocked episode was really good and makes me think I need to give all the eps I haven't heard yet another listen. Definitely feels like the show has settled into a groove.

The unlocked one was the first ep where after listening to it i was adamant to my girlfriend she needed to hear it. I think what theyve done is actually really clever if it was intentional. Hooking people with the conspiracy/pedo poo poo then shifting into having whole eps just explaining why the lib dems arent your friends

i mean i also like being verbally abused by liz, brace claiming hes hosed every woman they talk about and how warren is actually a sentient pile of ants, thats cool too

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i want that but on bernie's inauguration day, gamemaster anthony style

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

THS posted:

will is a perfect angel and everything he does is valid

i liked when someone in the audience yelled "wide dick willie!" and he responded with a quiet "...thank you."

V. Illych L. posted:

the chapo core audience of thirty-ish-year-old downwardly socially mobile slackers

i've been destroyed in one sentence

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

"replete with a turgid overabundance of desultory iowa references"

- lit dept adjunct faculty and/or guy who likes the decemberists, probably

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Deified Data posted:

I will miss two of the three lpotl guys cuz yeah, I'm not gonna juggle several different podcast platforms. RIP

Any recs for good true crime/weird poo poo podcasts that aren't Spotify exclusive?

I've been listening to mysterious universe on and off for years now and they do general weird stories and conspiracy poo poo. A lot of the time it's pretty obvious their subject is just a crazy person or grifter selling a book but they tend to take them seriously which can get annoying. I've come to understand they probably don't believe a lot of it and they're just acting credible because a lot of these people and their friends (the paranormal community is weirdly incestuous) will end up doing interviews on their show.

oh no ross and carrie is pretty awesome but more from a skeptic/debunking angle. they actually go join cults and poo poo then do hours and hours of podcasts about them. They did a bunch of eps on scientology, OTO (aleister crowley's cult), and one of those ayahuasca resorts in central america. ross actually did ayahuasca like four times for that project which was interesting

At first I thought thinking sideways was neat because they talk about a bunch of niche mysteries and weird poo poo i hadn't heard of, but they kind of have the opposite problem of the mysterious universe guys. they really super think of themselves as smart and logical and will inevitably come to the conclusion that the mystery is a hoax or coincidence because of occam's razor or whatever, and they mostly take official accounts at face value. they do a lot of summarizing wikipedia articles too, which once you notice it gets tedious.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

spacemang_spliff posted:

whats your pod?

ghost stories for the end of the world

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Okay now lets do which tree you think your favorite podcasters would be

I think stav would be like an arbor vitae and he would keep calling himself a tree but nick would point out how he’s really just a fat lil hedge :mmmhmm:

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Adam is a pussy willow, lmfao

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

that rules, what a spot on impression

uber_stoat posted:

the main reason to play Civ 4 in this day and age is the Fall From Heaven 2 mod.

FFH 2 is the real civ 5. i'm quarantining with some family, i should convince them to play a game of this

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i've never played a breath of fire but i'm going to weigh in with my video game opinion anyway

secret of mana was the best rpg on the snes

mostly because of the soundtrack, it's etched on the inside of my skull
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OvlyTCtCPBs

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I heard the flop house guys in an ad for their show while listening to ross and carrie and i'm completely baffled anyone willingly listens to them. that one guy (you know who i mean) sounds like a voice actor doing an impression of a nerd on a saturday morning cartoon

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

papa horny michael posted:

hah hah yeah. i mean, all podcasting ads are pretty bad. i like the flop house show, despite the hosts. but would never tell people to listen to anything other than cum town

a cum town ad that was just 30 seconds of stav cackling would rule

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Siljmonster posted:

felix, brace, and will all post in cspam lol

thinking twice before hitting the post button because my imaginary podcast friends might read it and frown slightly to themselves and sigh

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

I don't have any academic background in this stuff, so forgive me if i'm naive, but isn't free labor movement between the americas what you guys were arguing before would weaken capital and help create more class conscious workers + reduce wage gaps? and now well off eu countries are being pointed at as exploiting the free movement of cheap labor? I'm not sure how to square these concepts.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

V. Illych L. posted:

i suspect most of the former posters are americans and most of the latter are europeans

i figured that, I'm mostly hoping to get some americans to explain why open borders wouldn't lead to the same situation that's happening in the eu now

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Thanks, those explanations help. the bit about eu labor law was the missing piece for me i guess. i wasn't aware that's how it works. that's pretty hosed up tbh

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

A lot of fake leftists outing themselves with 9/11 trutherism itt
lol this claim only makes sense if you assume group think and cultural signifiers are the only path to belief
you are basically just saying: doesn't believe the official 9/11 story = alt right?

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Mr Hootington posted:

9/11 trutherism is believing al-Qaeda did it alone.

It was an inside job.

Mea culpa

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

My gf is insisting on listening to the weeds to get pandemic news updates. is there a less terrible person i can point her towards than matt yglesias? she likes citations needed after I suggested that to her but they're not really a "news" podcast. she's not online enough to enjoy chapo or trueanon.

i'm forcing her to listen to that two-parter of trueanon about liz warren and the dnc anyways because it was that good. that's not really relevant to my q, i just wanted to shout out v. illych for reminding me of how much those eps ruled

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

you're probably right, i don't know what shes really looking for. i just want her to not listen to lib garbage on purpose.

i've overheard some of the weeds and i've never heard a professional speaker say "like" so many times per sentence

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

gh0stpinballa posted:

i should add that "the east is a pod" spotlights voices from the middle east, puts them right in the foreground. many times the host will just roll the mic and step aside, he won't even ask questions he'll just let the guests talk. every episode is an interview with an academic, journalist, etc, or else an ordinary person from the region. it covers pretty much every country and even touches on places like kosovo and bosnia too. it's a very overlooked pod which loving sucks because it is consistently great. there is a syria 2 parter from october/november which is what hooked me, the guest is great. also great episodes breaking down lebanon's economic crisis too.

Thanks for the followup, that sounds pretty great actually

also thanks for posting about podcast. maybe we can cut through goons having the same conversation about warhammer/star war/marvel they have in every loving thread on the forums

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

oh my god it's over a loving hour long

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Sincerity is cool and fine, but I was personally hoping they didnt take that too far. that's how you get a mcelroy brothers podcasting empire

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Crane Fist posted:

There's nothing sincere about the mcelroys. They're some of the most cynical fucks alive

Elaborate? Their entire brand as i see it is based around their lack of irony or snideness

gimme the dirt

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lol yeah that dumb podcast is one of the best example of midwesterners being completely incapable of understanding irony

Oh my god how can they comment on how cum town "breaks all the rules of being a good podcast" then talk about how successful they are with zero reflection, followed by a bunch of hacky shock jock sound effects

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Clark Nova posted:

I've never listened to any of their stuff but your description is reminding me of that gawker essay about smarm

I just read that whole essay and i enjoyed it.

quote:

Over time, it has become clear that anti-negativity is a worldview of its own, a particular mode of thinking and argument, no matter how evasively or vapidly it chooses to express itself. For a guiding principle of 21st century literary criticism, BuzzFeed's Fitzgerald turned to the moral and intellectual teachings of Walt Disney, in the movie Bambi: "If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all."

The line is uttered by Thumper, Bambi's young bunny companion, but its attribution is more complicated than that—Thumper's mother is making him recite a rule handed down by his father, by way of admonishing her son for unkindness. It is scolding, couched as an appeal to goodness, in the name of an absent authority.

very correct and applies well to what i was talking about

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

For the past twelve minutes I have been wondering, what is Cum Town? I would
like three bullet points giving an overall rundown of it and whether it is worth sullying my search history with the word “c*m”

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

gh0stpinballa posted:

the unhealthy reaction to the bad review from the cum fans is pretty funny ngl

I wouldn't even call it a "bad review"

It's a couple of midwest gen-xers that dont know what irony is and they completely misunderstand the premise of cum town. it's very funny to me

they have a podcast where they review other podcasts and the one guy has never heard of dan carlin, i mean come on how could you be mad about that

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

holy poo poo balls i checked out the podcast forum internet personality thread to find out why this poster got permabanned. what a dreadful thread that is

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Gripweed posted:

One of us has got to listen to it

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

It's almost like people are ignoring you for some reason

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

electric stoves loving suck. you have no control over your heat level and it's slow to respond to changes, whereas gas is immediate. there's a reason professionals all use gas ranges.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Really enjoying trueanon lately. Hope they have more Above Top Secret posters and "high strangeness" types on their show, I love that poo poo

And the most recent interview with Maria Farmer. Holy poo poo. It's almost like real actual journalism. Probably the most important thing they've done on the show to date

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Breakfast All Day posted:

if you know anyone in the socialite/high art world, her being compelled to name drop and effusively complement someone every 15 seconds even when they're not tangentially relevant to the story is very familiar

This definitely reinforced the fact that she was completely immersed in that world (and seemingly came from it, studying art in ~the south of france~ and all that) and made her portrayal of events more compelling for me.

One thing that really strikes me as strange, though, and I almost don't want to talk about it given the semi-public nature of these forums and her position as an accuser, but why did she have those semi-nude photos in the first place? (spoiled as it's kind of a big "reveal" in her interview) That seems fairly creepy to me, but I'm not a rich socialite artist so what do i know.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

Doc Hawkins posted:

she admired the guy who painted Little Miss Pink Tomato, maybe they were studies for similar works

that painting is sfw and is probably intended to be extremely unsettling but don't google it if you're sensitive

right! thats probably an important detail. possibly her interest in young women as an artistic subject could be related to epstein's interest in her

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

thotsky posted:

There is no way of saying it without sounding creepy, but you would be surprised how many attractive influencer/socialite/entertainer/artist ladies have done modeling to some degree or another. It almost always involves nudes.

Maybe you didn't listen to the interview, but they were of her preteen/adolescent sister

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

i say swears online posted:

boots. red wings are the street fight approved brand

wearing my $400 iron rangers to work at target loss prevention