Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

I recently started this podcast from the beginning, going through all of the Star Wars prequel episodes, and I have to say, while a funny concept at the start, the "bit" about not knowing there were other movies gets old real fast. I liked it when they used it to analyze the movie as if it really didn't have any larger context (because the prequels really don't make a lick of sense without the OT context), but they would often just start harping on the thing we all know wasn't true, and it stopped being funny.

That being said, I'm past that now, they mostly have let it go in the OT Star Wars episodes (I'm on Empire Strikes Back now), and I'm really looking forward to diving into what the new show will be about.

...oh son of a bitch. I could have really used these earlier. It would have made the "bit" less annoying if it wasn't carried through 30 episodes. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

So Griffin doesn’t think slave Leia in a metal bikini was an effort to sexualize Leia. That’s certainly an opinion.

“That’s just what Jabba would do!” I mean, people wrote it that way, so sure.

edit: Griffin is at his worst yet during the Return of the Jedi episode. I’m not sure I’ll be able to take this podcast.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jun 13, 2019

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

That’s the worst episode, I don’t think it ever gets that bad again.

I was thinking that might be the case. David seemed so genuinely angry at Griffin that there'd be no way the podcast would continue if he was already like that.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I haven't had a chance to listen to the latest episode, but it's interesting the are doing the pilot episode of Miami Vice. Mann didn't direct it, but it sure as poo poo feels like he did. I am guessing they'll discuss it. The pilot has Mann written alllll over it.

If you haven't watched it, I highly recommend it. It's really loving good. It's totally free to watch on NBC's website.

It is one of the better pilots in TV history. Some shows take a while to figure themselves out. Miami Vice is not one of those shows.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

poly and open-minded posted:

I started listening to BC after Griff and ... and David! should up on HDTGM for Justice League and have binged the whole series.

I love this meandering podcast.

I came in some time earlier when Griffin guest starred on We Hate Movies, but I did the same. Went back a binged a bunch of older series. I've deliberately kept a few of the longer series back for when I have some long drives ahead, or when a new game that I can podcast and play comes out, because this is the perfect podcast for either of those. Long and super interesting, but possible to dive in and out of if I need to.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 8, 2021

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Colonel Whitey posted:

Some crazy bastard went and did it, they made Wordle for the absolute dorks who are into this stuff: https://boxofficega.me/

I got 0 right

I got 3 right. And actually saw 4 of these in the theater. God drat.

This spoiler doesn't actually name the movies, just references their quality. This is more an indictment of me than speaking to their quality.

I like this game!

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm not sure why but I just didn't like the Kevin Smith one as much, despite the really nice story.

I can see not liking it if Kevin Smith isn't your particular brand of story teller. Tangents inside of tangents, and always taking a moment to praise Affleck. But it's the thing I like most about him these days, so I enjoyed it.

However I did watch the Quick and Dead for the first time last night and while I can understand why critics and audiences may not have liked it, it most definitely fucks

Oh it fucks. I like what one of them said (I forget who), about how if the movie was released as a new movie today on HBOMax or something, it would be all anyone could talk about for at least a few weeks, like Squid Game or something. I hadn't seen it in at least 15 years, but I watched it again for the podcast, and god daaaaamn, it rules. Just a real fun movie. Learning that it was a passion project for Sharon Stone gave me a whole new appreciation for the thing. I just assumed it was Raimi always wanting to make a Western. I was apparently quite wrong.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ugh, this makes me hesitant to start listening.

I haven’t been listening to Blank Check as long as some people here. I’m sure they get into it, but is there a tl;dr on what he originally did?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

I have no memory of it, but Gethard was pro-ROS and anti-TLJ on the MCU Performance Review patreon ep. Then apparently he started being real aggro about it on the blankies reddit but I don’t think he was serious, just doing the usual CineD contrarian poo poo.

It’s a little annoying about something dumb, but it’s not half an hour. He wrote this whole apology letter and it’s maybe a ten minute tangent that doesn’t feel tense or anything. He just thinks the fans want his Star Wars rants.

IDK, I’ve only made it 30 minutes in so far and they don’t start with it and they’ve already been on Spider-Man for a while.

edit: I mean if you think Gethard is insufferable then this probably is too, but it doesn’t seem worse than usual to me

Gotcha, thanks. That at least puts me in the right headspace. Because I’ve been looking forward to their Spider-Man 2 episode for a while now.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Conrad_Birdie posted:

I couldn’t listen to the Starlee Kine episode from a few weeks back. I’ve literally never been able to take her weird voice. I don’t have this problem with anyone else on podcasts. Just her.

See, and I think she’s great. I still miss her Mystery Show podcast that only ever had 6 episodes, and has been gone for almost 7 years now.

Gethard, though, is driving me crazy this episode.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

morestuff posted:

I think that's fair for the most part (I never got the pearl clutching about that one scene in Jurassic World for instance) but Drag Me To Hell is much more explicitly about moral choices

Do you mean the Jurassic World scene where the babysitter gets the most brutal death in the whole movie? I think that was just funny because there are other people far more deserving of bad deaths, and she's, like...fine. But my god does she get a rough death. But the same could be said for Richard Schiff in The Lost World. Perfectly nice guy who saves their lives, and then he gets ripped in half by two T-Rexes. So it's not really a series that punishes the deserving.

Hell, Hammond dies of natural causes. That monster.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Im really digging this show tho there'll always be a part of me annoyed at podcasts that go out of their way to make their ads more seamless. Like, are they pressured to do that or choosing to? WHM has ad music, and with other podcasts there's some attempt at a discernable border whether or not it's wink wink to help you skip...the way these two just try to ease into an ad as conversationally as possible is kinda obnoxious

I don’t know, I think Blank Check makes it pretty obvious when they’re going into an ad. Hard stop in the conversation, followed by, “David!” And that’s when they don’t do something really crazy like have a phone call or knock at the door. Sure, there’s not music playing to tell you the ad is still playing, but it’s not that hard. I just hit forward 30 seconds a few times, and if I hear a guest voice, or chat that sounds like it’s about the movie, I go back. The guest is basically never in the ad.

Like, he’s talked about how people get annoyed about how obnoxious his ad reads get, and he said something like, “Why do you think I do that? I do that specifically so you know it’s an ad!”

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm a new listener, only been dipping into some of the Raimi eps, so I guess it gets more discernable with repeated listening. I was just initially annoyed since I'm used to podcasts that demarcate that poo poo way clearer (cuz...why not). I'm getting the hang of it now, tho I wasnt totally sure how long they tended to be until recently.

Yeah, that totally makes sense. I’ve gotten to the point where, when I hear a pause and, “David!” I reach for my phone.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

I was on a flight today and I watched the hell out of Draft Day. Glad to toss a few pennies Griffin’s way.

I was on a JetBlue flight this weekend, but was disappointed to not see Draft Day as an option. Watched Moneyball instead, since I was in a, "Sports movie without a ton of actual sports in it" frame of mind by then.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

morestuff posted:

Jobs is pretty good if corny

Yeah, I like it, even if it's not great. I get people hating Sorkin, and for the most part they're not wrong, but he has some good stuff here and there. And yeah, it's not totally accurate, but it's a biopic, none of them are. I like the approach of telling the story through 3 pivotal moments in his life. And the acting in it is top notch.

It's sure better than that Ashton Kutcher piece of poo poo Steve Jobs movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jose Oquendo posted:

We all know the best Steve Jobs movie is Pirates of Silicon Valley. They need a sequel to that with the same cast to tell the the story of what happened after Macworld 97.

Oh I completely agree with this. Love that movie.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

The Boyle/Sorkin one is Steve Jobs. Jobs is the one Kutcher is in. Dumb titles.

Whoops. Thanks. I would have hated to have accidentally pointed someone towards the Ashton Kutcher one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Leo: "I don't want this President getting a phone call from the Bishop of Rome."
Josh: "Why would it matter if he got a phone call from the Bishop of Rome?"
Leo: "Because that's not the only name he goes by."
Josh: *deep sigh* "...the Bishop of Rome is the Pope?"

God dammit, people just call him the Pope, unless they're getting all fancy with his titles to make a point. And someone in professional politics would know what the gently caress you're talking about. Even when I was into The West Wing, I've never forgotten this scene because I hate it so much. People don't talk like that. It's the most Sorkin exchange I can think of.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

howe_sam posted:

I get all the reasons people dislike Sorkin's writing, but drat the end of Two Cathedrals slaps.

Oh, 100%. Nothing quite like an American President standing in the National Cathedral yelling at God in Latin.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I...haven't voted yet. (I voted in brackets I knew, and I voted in Patreon brackets, but not this one, since I don't know the directors.) The only movie I've seen from either is Snowpiercer, which I really enjoyed. But, uh, sell me on who to vote for, since apparently one vote matters?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Alright, voted for Park. I'll check whoever wins out before the series starts. (And try to check out whoever doesn't win, as well, but that will take longer.)

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Glad I voted lol.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

When they were tied, they posted this.

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1642170387017375747?s=46&t=_t3R3O4inwGCyXxW88QslQ

So they’re not doing both.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

algebra testes posted:

Yesterday sounds like a total drug trip of a movie. And David losing his mind was very funny.

It should have been. It ends up being mostly boring.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Beer_Suitcase posted:

I really love this 2001 Oceans Eleven movie. I've seen it 1000 times if falling asleep counts as a watch.

Everyone is so cool

Yeah, the movie absolutely rules.

I'm looking forward to their take on Twelve. Because I really can't stand that movie, but they seemed to say they love it, too. But to be fair, I haven't really watched all of it since it came out. I mostly remember a lot of them doing nothing, a fun scene with Robbie Coltrane and code words, laser dancing, and then finding out oops, they stole the egg off a train at the beginning of the movie and we didn't see it, so the whole movie was pointless.

Oh, and the Julia Roberts' character looks like Julie Roberts joke, which the movie thought was the funniest thing in the world.

Thirteen is great, though. I've watched it about as many times as Eleven. They're both on my list of go-to movies to put on when I'm bored.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I want Karen Chee on every episode

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

RVWinkle posted:

I have some of those business card cdr disks they mentioned in the episode. I bought them around the same time that this movie came out!

I think they only held around 50mb but it was more than enough to hold a resume and some work samples. I could never get them to work though.

loving no one could. I remember my CD-ROM had a little mini slot in the middle that, in theory, was supposed to hold them, but it never worked.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

The blank check concept is fun but I still just like hearing the friends be silly about da moviesh. The Austin Powers commentary is one of my favorite episodes in a long time.

I tend to listen to the commentaries while not watching the movies if I've seen the movie before, because the guys are really good at talking about the movies without you needing to watch. But they recently said on Twitter that the Austin Powers one should be be listened to while watching. Is that accurate? Are there lots of moments where they're like, "Look at that thing right there, which we will not refer to! How cool! Anyway..."

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Ror posted:

There are so many jokes in the movie that half the time they're riffing and another one will start cracking up and say something like "I forgot about that!" and then they'll get distracted by something else while they're trying to discuss that. If you're really familiar with the movie it might be OK but there's a lot more direct reaction to stuff on screen that other commentaries.

There are also several discussions about Mike Myers' physique which are much more entertaining when you are actually looking at his naked body.

Thanks, that's the answer I was looking for.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

algebra testes posted:

I mean, you can tell from David's letterboxed what's coming but I better not have watched Basic for no reason.

It's been forever since I watched it, but I remember loving that movie when it came out. An insane amount of twists, in a good way, and fun performances.

No idea if it holds up.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Riptor posted:

Griffin's hallucinatory false memory that Good Vibrations plays during the crane chase scene in Terminator 3 is absolutely insane

Yeah, he kept talking about a needle drop that was coming, and I know it's been a long time since I saw the movie, but I had no idea what he was talking about in that scene. The fact that he imagined it was amazing.

edit: I just watched that scene for the first time in forever on YouTube, and it's so much worse than I remember, so I feel like Griffin right now (outside of the needle drop false memory, of course).

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Feb 22, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

checkplease posted:

Throw up a link, I can't remember it either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBS0wio_JnE

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

checkplease posted:

Thanks.

Yeah the crane scene is a bit silly. Tension is kind of lacking as Arnold just gets smashed through everything while the crane hits every parked car. Also lol at boink sound effects.

I remember thinking the crane was cool, but I think I was just starving for any action in that boring movie.

Ending was legit good, though.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

algebra testes posted:

Yeah this. And also who's your second choice to play John McLane?

Yeah, like he said, he's told this story before, but I always love hearing it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Colonel Whitey posted:

I thought he was just ok in that, though I felt similar about the movie so maybe that’s why

He was great as long as he wasn't being asked to kicked anybody. Then the anti-aging CGI couldn't hide the fact that he was old man De Niro.

Other than mainly that one scene outside of the grocer, he was fantastic.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Xiahou Dun posted:

I hadn’t seen The Last Action Hero since I was a little kid. Basically didn’t remember anything.

Holy loving poo poo, this was a flop? I’d lose my mind if something this clever came out now.

PS see if you can find the hidden Danny Devito.

The movie is amazing. I’ve always thought I lived in bizzaro world, being one of the few people who loved it.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

https://twitter.com/blankcheckpod/status/1774799035271913802

And for the Patreon, it's looking like Tabletop Games is gonna run away with it.

thrawn527 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 1, 2024

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I'm gonna be honest, I've never been a Lynch guy, because I don't understand his movies, and from what I gather, I'm not supposed to. And I don't love movies I'm not supposed to understand. But maybe I'm wrong. Like, I kinda get that Mulholland Drive is mostly about the main character's dream world, and then we leave that dream world. But I can't really make that work with everything I see. For example, I have no idea what the homeless guy is doing in the movie. So I'm looking forward them talking about that movie.

I'm often not the best at reading movies.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

WeaponX posted:

Yeah it’s pretty incredible. I guess them holding off on Michael Bay has helped keep Cage off the feed.

Other possible directors that would bring more Cage- Scorsese, De Palma, Schumacher, Herzog, Ridley Scott, Mario Van Peebles

Turteltaub series now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I've never seen it, and the music in this trailer is killing me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZeGbSOdedqI

Trailers from this era are wild.