Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Scrublord Prime posted:

I'm hyped for Trials of Mana remake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Excited for more content and class changes, but ho boy these are some japan costumes.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

The good news about costumes in this remake is: you get to pick and choose from all unlocked class outfits. So if you don't like a certain class' look, you can pick a different one.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Alxprit posted:

I'm looking at the shop listing and it says "Recieve the Rabite Adornment DLC to gain more EXP after battles up-to level 10! Available until 21st May 2020." Very weird, there doesn't seem to be a current option to grab it or if it has any cost to it.

Anyway, excited to try out the game tomorrow! Will have to be after work since there's much to do this morning.

In steam that's the pre-order bonus, so I assume it might be the same-ish, i.e. bought the game until 21st of May when the offer expires.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Hogama posted:

I dig the incentive system, asking you to finish fights fast, not get hit, and use special moves to finish off enemies in the name of bonus experience. Combat control feels more robust, and baiting attacks to avoid and punish always feels fun.
Some animations are a bit wonky and at least on Switch I noticed a fair bit of pop-in but not enough to ruin my day or anything. Loading times are slightly annoying.
Best part of this is party members being dumb and getting hit doesn't count towards your "flawless" rating of not being hit. I like the new combat system, even though I didn't find it smooth at times.

Shoenin posted:

Also Angela's favorite letter is the letter E.

Goddamn this annoyed me so much, I switched to japanese VA. I'm not the biggest fan of the VA in general in many parts, but hey if that's the worst complaint I'm ok with that.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

seiferguy posted:

- good lord the load times are awful, and I have a hybrid drive.

Switch loads were pretty bad, but PC were pretty great (not even SSD)

I'm really looking forward to this game. I was going to get this on switch, but I think I will opt for Steam instead.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Allarion posted:

My current speculation is that there's only 1 item seed now, and upgrading the flower pot will eventually let the item seed reach class change status.

I really like the flower pot leveling up. I also love how they kept those bouncy things in, they just do something else now.

I'm super stoked for this game to come out.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I got Charlotte. brb going to change my personality

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I love how active this thread is, but everytime I see the unread messages I think "god, imagine if this game had multiplayer of any kind". I understand the limitations, but man...

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Still haven't settled on a starter party. Might have to just use a randomizer

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

The onwy one who wearns heawing as the stawtew cwass is Chawwote

:suicide:

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Folt The Bolt posted:

Already playing it now. Based Europe unlock! :norway:

Currently gotten to the Dwarves.

Wait what? Do you mean on switch? PC hasn't unlocked for me in europe

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

A Sometimes Food posted:

So is the PC release good?

won't release on steam for another... 8 1/2 hours I think. pretty bummed

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Dear god, starlancer is miles better

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Oh yes, mana time. Oh no, what party do I pick

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

gandlethorpe posted:

Anyone hating on Chawwotte is a sad person whose parents never let them watch Looney Tunes as a kid. Fite me

ewe awe satcha buwwyyyyyyyy

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

wow that Zehnoa fight did NOT mess around. First boss I didn't get 10% no hit xp on, I used up ALL of my cups of wishes the first time... 2nd time went much better by just facehugging and switching everyone on same target

Zenithe posted:

fwowas gwow wed, thanks chawwotte

we'a aww gwowing stwonga

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bruceski posted:

Also, this game really should've but a Big Lil' Cactus in the Kokoriko village.

Thought the same thing while I was there haha.

I just got to Tomato Village and found the chain ability there. 30% to use HP instead of MP, will that make charlotte MP infinite???

I wonder if these abilities (Angela gets one that hurts her per cast for more power) prevent you from getting the 10% no hit bonus

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I'm a dumbass and completey misunderstood what it does. I blame sleep deprivation.

Good to know though. I'm running Angela with Duran/Chawet just so I can spam spells as angela and whacking things for MP. I'll stick it on someone else then

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Shoenin posted:

Oh Riesz, Why does the quality of your acting fluctuate so much. One minute she sounds solid to great, the other shes as robotic as Other M Samus.
Its irritating. Fortunately shes great where it counts: combat.

Same with Angela, her highs are pretty good (for her characterization) but the lows are very ???

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Whats a good place to farm the ??? seeds?

What I did was peek into every benevodon area to get the ??? seed from the chest. Do like a couple in a row, check out if it's the classes you want, then either continue or start beating up the bosses. I kinda wanted to class change before doing any (although I did do fire benevodon, because it was undine day)

So at the risk of sounding like a dumbass again, what do status effects even DO. I mean I know what they do in general (except burned???), but what are the governing stats and numbers?

Chrodyn posted:

No new spells but a bunch of new/higher ranks of skills. Right now Riesz has Atk boost all ranks 1/2/3 equipped.

This is important if anyone thinks they can only equip the highest rank. Also some upgrades actually turn into chain ones. I really like this new system, it gives a little extra depth to class/party choice

Dackel fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Apr 25, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Inflammatory posted:

aight riesz i know you're excited to have a summon spell but please stop casting it when there's only one enemy left

I had Duran Tech 3 on a single enemy. The enemy was petrified. Thanks for securing the "kill" buddy

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

fadam posted:

Are there side quests in this game, or am I free to basically bee line from dungeon to dungeon?

No sidequests at all, unless you consider finding optional chain abilities or cactus a "side quest"

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Got to the credits. Angela absolutely destroyed the last boss, holy poo poo. He absolutely melted to Ancient Curse w debuff from necromancer.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Am I missing something about the 4th classes? I thought they combined the 2 previous ones, but Duran's Light version of 4th still single targets healing light and gets no tinkle rain. Do I need to reset once to also grab the other path?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

I love paladin Duran, but it's cause I have necromancer carlie who gets healing light+ even dark and I'd rather have that than single target holy saber which I can have 9 items of if I needed it. My whole party was just about facilitating Angela being able to go ham

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Shoenin posted:

I tested and ??? seeds are predetermined, they dont dupe if you have them in your inventory. having 6 from the get go guarantees at least 1 for each different class.

But for weapons/armor they do dupe, but not sure if they are also pre-determined.

Only class ??? seeds are predetermined. The rest can be save scummed, I've done that to get at least a decent spread of equipment out of them

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

What are Angela's coolest classes for the remake?

I went Magus with her and with Paladin Duran tanking and holding support chain abilities and Charlotte as Necromancer for debuffs and healing/twinkle rain I am having an absolute blast. Angela has 3 wound magic to tap into everyone's HP for a massive magic boost, she starts with MGC up buff. Charlotte starts combat with enemies automatically mdef down and increasing weak point dmg while buffing her summons and heals. Duran has provoke, guard and MGC boost. Rest is all filler for MP regen auras.

This party is just there to boost Angela really, and it absolutely wrecks face. I love it.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Welp Angela absolutely destroyed the postgame stuff. Beat black rabite and Anise time trial, best time was 51s

Time for ng+ with Hawkeye, Riesz and Kevin

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Arkeus posted:

What level you were? and what method did you use for such a fast kill?

I was at 75, I wrote up how my party looked like earlier.

Dackel posted:

I went Magus with her and with Paladin Duran tanking and holding support chain abilities and Charlotte as Necromancer for debuffs and healing/twinkle rain I am having an absolute blast. Angela has 3 wound magic to tap into everyone's HP for a massive magic boost, she starts with MGC up buff. Charlotte starts combat with enemies automatically mdef down and increasing weak point dmg while buffing her summons and heals. Duran has provoke, guard and MGC boost. Rest is all filler for MP regen auras.

This party is just there to boost Angela really, and it absolutely wrecks face. I love it.

The biggest issue with the time trial was I only had ice and wind, so i had to ancient curse the other 2 crystals and hope anise played along so i could kill her in 1 phase. for her dragon phase, you need to dodge the beginning barrage of attacks (or I had to, cause i didnt have spellguard) and then just spam ancient curse on the body. Ancient curse absolutely DESTROYS multi body part static bosses

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Harrow posted:

How much of a difference does it make to have characters with a shared antagonist? Like, what do you get story-wise for bringing Angela with you if you're playing as Duran, for example?

It prevents some of the NPCs coming up to be a bit of a "wait what, who is this, where did they come from". It sort of makes the whole picture a bit more cohesive from "both sides". Mind you, it still happens, because you still see bits and pieces from other people's story. It's not necessary at all, but I'd still recommend it unless you don't care and skip through it all.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

And here I thought summon dmg was based on spirit, or was that only for charlottte?

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Kyrosiris posted:

I have Angela and am Very Interested in these.

secret boss Black rabite is your friend, he gives you chain ability that drops in battle MP costs to..... 0

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Bruceski posted:

In the postgame dungeon, are there going to be checkpoints to go back out to the flowerpot and save without running through the whole thing?

One at the halfway point and one before Anise. And yes, it feels really really long for that first halfway point teleport back

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

deep dish peat moss posted:

Should I be saving my gold item seeds for when I have a higher level seed box, or burning through them to level up my seed box?

Yes and no. The biggest thing with item boxes and getting equipment seems to be your current class. You won't get endgame gear drops if you're still in your first class change. I tried this in NG+ with rainbow seeds and it wouldnt give me anything significant except amulets, but as soon as I class changed the item pool changed. Of course a higher seed box increases the odds of better items i guess, but you can savescum them for important gear like weapons

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Finished my 2nd playthrough. 300% xp chain made it a breeze of course, but nothing will ever compare to Angela. I tried doing Ninja Master, Star Lancer and Warrior Monk/Divine Fist and nothing even comes close. Hawkeye does cast faster, so he has that going for him. I feel like I might have built him wrong. I was lv99 by the time I did Anise, but I never got under 1:30 so I just left it there.

Next up, either Charlotte/Kevin (not sure who I want to main) and some unlucky tag-along

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Ferrinus posted:

Okay, after playing through to the postgame, I've identified my one big complaint about this game: doing a class strike doesn't stop time, but also it prevents you from swapping to another character and acting while the class strike is happening.

This is mostly fine, except for when bosses do the "destroy these objects or die!" trick and you need class strikes to bring them down. There's no way to have each of your characters class strike a different object at the same time. ...is there? Is there some way to access the CS crossbar from a non-centered character's ring menu?

Definitely been spoiled with that stuff after playing FF7R being able to swap mid-specials/animation. Also the fact that you can't "turn off" certain class strikes for AI. Little things like these where you just wish it had more QoL or something

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

lezard_valeth posted:

Once I finish the game and want to do the other 2 characters paths, which is the better option, New Game or New Game+? I've seen people post that New Game+ carries over your characters level, won't that take away all the fun by being extremely overpowered? Is there a story difference from going New Game+ ?

There's no point not doing NG+. You start as normal, but you have access to ALL items except key story items. This includes class change items and seeds (don't use them until you've class changed to 3 or 4 if you are looking for equipment). The biggest thing though is you carry over ALL chain abilities that aren't tied to class picks. This is the part that can break the game for you, so if you don't want to do that, just don't equip them.

E.g. I started my 2nd NG+ and equipped +200 cs at battle start and +300% xp bonus, and everything was a breeze until benevodons. With the 300% xp bonus I was 99 by the time I fought Anise with absolutely no grinding whatsoever. On the other hand, waiting for ??? seeds (because I didn't farm them) meant that for Riesz who had no luck, I was mid 50s before she changed into class 3

Inflammatory posted:

it's level based afaik. by the time i finished the postgame in the 80's i was getting 6 points per level.

Yup and it ends at 7 points in the 90s iirc, and by 99 you can max out everything with 0 points left

Dackel fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 28, 2020

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Lol I didn't realize NG+ kept your levels. Welp looks like my 3rd playthrough will be me as lv99 beating up rabites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Duran and Kevin just said they wanted to "cross swords" and Charlotte was all "ye aight, as long as y'all having fun"