Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
The podium of Art Flemming is vacant, the CBS daytime shows have distanced themselves while they can and Televised Insanity is reaching the finish line of his podcast. Game Shows are adapting to the pandemic in their own ways (or have slowly burnt off their episodes over several months). Like the rest of television, I seems like a few shows have restarted, but there is not much new episodes out there at this moment.

Syndication:
  • Jeopardy! Merry Christmas! ...:smith:
  • Wheel of Fortune: All hail The White Thing! A celebrity version is coming to ABC.
  • Family Feud: This is still the 1999 revival that was memorably hosted by Louis Anderson, Richard Karn and John O'Hurley before Steve Harvey.

CBS Daytime: The Correct Time for Gameshows

Multiple:
Gordon Ramsay shows Master Chef, 24hrs of Kitchen Hell and everywhere else you can get your :ramsay: fix

ABC, Fun & Games & Unmarried:
ABC has been very faithful to the Fremantle revivals listed below, some added parts here and there but they don't poo poo up the show (see Whammy! The All New Press Your Luck as a counterexample). They ar also leaning hard on game shows compared to the other networks.
  • America' Funniest Home Videos: Alfonso Riberio hosts "Man Getting Hit by Football."
  • Celebrity Family Feud: Steve Harvey's version with celebrity families.
  • The $100,000 Pyramid: Essentially untouched from the Dick Clark version of the $25,000 Pyramid, where the contestant who made it to the top of the Winner's Circle pyramid twice wins the title amount.
  • To Tell the Truth: This is the revival show with the most changes since it debuted in 2016.
  • Dancing With the Stars: roll 1d30 and that's probably more valid than the Judges scores or the home vote share
  • The Bachelor(ette), Tuesdays: Currently a woman who replaced another woman idk
  • Press Your Luck: Very obviously burnt off-- so many people won cruises this season
  • Card Sharks: I like it a little better this season behind closed doors. Still one 10 card round, then the big money round.
  • Match Game: This game is ___________. Alec Baldwin hosts this version, which benefits from the open social mores of today, as well as being open about the drinking. Maybe they'll distance all the seats if New York lets them film again
  • Holey Moley: Supersized minigolf meets Takeshi's Castle from what the commercials show. Joe Tessitore and Rob Riggle have been given sacred vestments--Wide World of Sports blazers
  • Supermarket Sweep: When people don't know their way around the store, it gets brutal fast. Leslie Jones is her blunt self.
  • Millionaire: eh...
  • Wipeout: Cena wins lol
  • The Chase: Swiping Ken, Brad and James to play the British game better known stateside from it's GSN iteration.
  • The Hustler: Craig Ferguson hosts where five players work together to answer questions, but one already has the answers.

CBS, no these shows aren't revivals:

Fox, home of Ken Jeong:

NBC:
  • American Ninja Warrior: Drew Dreschel had to go now, his home planet needs him. Ran a modified season and gave Daniel Gil $100k and a trophy. Only 2/149 got pulled for quarantine concerns per Sauskepedia
  • America's Got Talent : Managed to pull off a pandemic season
  • The Weakest Link: Jane Lynch just doesn't have the ice in her veins
  • Ellen's Game of Games: Condense the games from the Ellen Show into an hour primetime special. Maybe her "you're all winners here" policy follows this show, I can't confirm.
  • Hollywood Game Night: Jayne Lynch hosts a series of party games where Celebrities help average folks win money. The final round was spun off to Celebrity Name Game hosted by Craig Ferguson for a few years.
  • The Wall: What if Plinko went the whole hour? Hosted by Chris Hardwick
  • Bring the Funny: Go ahead and try to Impress Keenan Thompson with your comedy/variety act. Chrissy Teigen and Jeff Foxworthy round out the panel.

The CW:
  • Whose Line is it Anyway?: Everything is made up and the points don't matter. Points distributed on the infallible discretion of Aisha Tyler.
  • Penn&Teller: Fool Us: Stump Penn & Teller with your magic trick
  • Masters of Illusion
  • The Big Stage

Cable: somehow flinging poo poo against the wall from 6ft away:
  • Chopped is doing a tournament in Maine. A thunderstorm knocked out power to the judging of Match 1's final round
  • Guy Fieri has managed to do some weird home cooking tournament where celebrity chefs have to convince other celebrity chefs over Zoom their food tastes good. Handicapped Christian Petroni where welders goggles and gloves to compete in a round (he won, btw)
  • GSN has a casting page up for 7 different shows, but the only thing this that's listed as new is Family Feud in November 2020. Chain Reaction is the latest revival to get a press release.
  • Discovery Channel has Moonshiners trying to beat the clock to make white lightning; a show that might make you go blind.
  • History has Forged in Fire which feels like Chopped with scrap metal...originality!

We all seem to have caught the game show bug early and the previous general thread has been archived. I'll update the OP as I can. Scroll through for various ephemera and rare episodes.

Goon Run Podcast: Game Shows, I suppose is run by TelevisedInsanity, who is completing his 110-part series on every TPiR pricing game. I've enjoyed his scathing takedowns as a fellow 80s/90s game show watcher.

Goon Project that actually has results:

Doggles posted:

Main reason I'm noticing these sorts of things is that I want to build a sort of portable game show production that can be rented out for events locally, so I've been extremely detail oriented about what is and is not working on modern game shows. I already have the programming knowledge, now I'm trial and erroring my way through woodworking and electrical engineering to build prototypes like eggcrate displays, https://www.instagram.com/p/B3qfMZGhPKO/, and a Combs-era Family Feud face off podium, https://www.instagram.com/p/CDZ0PcYB9As/.

Seeing this game show resurgence over the past few years has been extremely inspiring. I'm just hoping it lasts like it did across the 70s-90s so that I have enough time to build my project and get it out there!

InsensitiveSeaBass fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Nov 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Shout out to the retro game shows still on the air in some form

Game Show Network (Match Game, Wheel of Fortune, Family Feud with Steve Harvey) - check local listings

Buzzr (Beat the Clock, Blockbusters, Card Sharks, Classic Concentration, Family Feud with Richard Dawson, I've Got a Secret, Match Game, The Name's The Same, Now You See It, Password, Press Your Luck, Sale of the Century, Supermarket Sweep, Tattletales, To Tell the Truth, What's My Line?) - web stream

Nick Pluto (Legends of the Hidden Temple, Double Dare, Double Dare 2000) - web stream

If you're not yelling at the idiots during the grocery run in Supermarket Sweep every night, you're not living

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
posting in this thread to follow, as well as to remind myself to post here, too.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Today in whatever you want to call these Shows crossovers, Matt and Ackbar from American Ninja Warrior went on Lip Sync Battle.

https://twitter.com/lsb/status/1139358001394049025

Matt figured out that the easiest way for a guy to win is to cross-dress. He performed Cher's Believe.

MisterZimbu
Mar 13, 2006
New Press Your Luck is great minus the bonus round (but I'm not too offended by that). Watching people lose 6 figures then have a cartoon make fun of them for it will probably not get old.

Glad to see that Joel McHale's open disdain for everything has carried over into Card Sharks.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i would like to nominate the following song for the thread's theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-jhJfHkS9w

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal are still the best part about being stuck home when you're sick

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
hey, would there be any room in this thread for me to talk about international game shows? 'cause I got a few of them i could tell you about.

also, would linking episodes of them run against the TVIV rules?

BTW, a good link to add to the OP, OP: Game Shows, I Suppose -- a game show podcast run by our very own TelevisedInsanity.

(and i'm not just saying this because I was a guest on an episode)

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 15, 2019

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

hey, would there be any room in this thread for me to talk about international game shows? 'cause I got a few of them i could tell you about.

also, would linking episodes of them run against the TVIV rules?

BTW, a good link to add to the OP, OP: Game Shows, I Suppose -- a game show podcast run by our very own TelevisedInsanity.

(and i'm not just saying this because I was a guest on an episode)

Yeah, talk about whatever game show you want. The summer schedule OP was more of a starting point, and I think the former General Game Show Megathread has been archived.

The podcast has also been added to the OP.

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
I ran the 3rd attempt of that thread, and couldn't keep up because it was mostly just me posting over and over, I hope this year's Summer Fun & Games gets more people interested, especially with Elizabeth Banks on Press Your Luck and Joel McHale on Card Sharks.

Here's a re-print of the schedule!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
there's a first look of spin the wheel out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnYeFh5J79Y

Dax Shephard! A 30-foot wheel! and $23 million dollars in cash (that'll be highly unlikely to win)!

also: drawn out interviews, testimonials, a big name produc... look, we're looking at fox trying to counter the wall, but instead of plinko it's the showcase showdowncalifornia big spin wheel.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Whole lot of whammies tonight. Man Alexa got a tough break in round 1.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I tried watching Holey Moley and Family Food Fight last night and woof. I'm going to try and give both a second chance, but they left a mini golf on the cutting room floor. As for FFF, I hope it's from watching too many Food Network edited game shows, but the food seemed like an afterthought to the family Dynamics, causing one team to get eliminated because they didn't work together and the daughter led.

Anyone try Spin the Wheel?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

Anyone try Spin the Wheel?

I tried it. It's literally The Wall, but with a wheel.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DaveWoo posted:

I tried it. It's literally The Wall, but with a wheel.

Even down to the endgame buyout that the friend/family is offered?

Because that sucks. I mean, not from a prize budget standpoint, but from a narrative standpoint. I just don’t consider it as particularly fun to watch.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

Even down to the endgame buyout that the friend/family is offered?

Because that sucks. I mean, not from a prize budget standpoint, but from a narrative standpoint. I just don’t consider it as particularly fun to watch.

Even down to the endgame buyout, yeah. Well, technically there were four buyout offers - one for each of the player's last four spins.

And yeah, I agree that it does kinda ruin things from a narrative standpoint. For instance, in last night's game, the player ended up with around $1.3 million in winnings... only to discover that his brother had taken a buyout of around $200,000. Womp womp.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
imagine the price is right requiring you to put the item you won up for bid in order to play the goddamned clock game.

because that's about the one thing i could think of that would actually be worse than the buyout. wasn't a fan of it when they did it on set for life (all 1 1/2 episodes of it), ain't a fan of it now.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

imagine the price is right requiring you to put the item you won up for bid in order to play the goddamned clock game.
Speaking of TPIR, I just noticed in my program guide that over-the-air subchannel BUZZR is rolling a TPIR marathon that will start in about 20 minutes.
This would be the first time in decades that Fremantle has let old episodes of TPIR see the light of day.
I don't think TPIR was ever aired on Game Show Network outside of maybe some one off runs with John Davidson or Tom Kennedy hosting the TPIR PM edition.

BUZZR will be running the Bill Cullen hosted edition which means they might be airing the very first episodes before Bob Barker was tapped to host the incarnation of TPIR we all know and love.
Bill Cullen also hosted TPIR PM in the mid to late 70s.

Expect lots of furs, deep shag carpeting, Z-Brick wall covering and Datsun B-210s as prizes!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh poo poo - maybe Bob’s about to die

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003

Robnoxious posted:

Speaking of TPIR, I just noticed in my program guide that over-the-air subchannel BUZZR is rolling a TPIR marathon that will start in about 20 minutes.
This would be the first time in decades that Fremantle has let old episodes of TPIR see the light of day.
I don't think TPIR was ever aired on Game Show Network outside of maybe some one off runs with John Davidson or Tom Kennedy hosting the TPIR PM edition.

BUZZR will be running the Bill Cullen hosted edition which means they might be airing the very first episodes before Bob Barker was tapped to host the incarnation of TPIR we all know and love.
Bill Cullen also hosted TPIR PM in the mid to late 70s.

Expect lots of furs, deep shag carpeting, Z-Brick wall covering and Datsun B-210s as prizes!

They're showing old b/w eps from the original Cullen run.

edit: first item up for bids: a Studebaker Avanti

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

rockinricky posted:

They're showing old b/w eps from the original Cullen run.

edit: first item up for bids: a Studebaker Avanti

next up: a car with an terrible name that almost ran over a contestant

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
When is Hollywood Squares coming back? That seems like a no-brainer.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Jose Oquendo posted:

When is Hollywood Squares coming back? That seems like a no-brainer.

There was this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hip_Hop_Squares

Otherwise, I agree. If they can do Match Game, there's room for someone to scrape together nine B-listers in Hollywood.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's moving to cmt, and they're calling it 'Nashville Squares.'

because yeah. sure.

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jun 26, 2019

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Holey Moley was an insane show, where the least crazy thing in the episode is the bizarre mini-golf/wipeout hybrid courses.

You had a goddamn golf robot out there

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Spin the Wheel, after two episodes, features people who don’t know jack poo poo about pop culture trivia (or which person is on the 10 dollar bill), and nervous chickenshit family members that screwed them out of over a million bucks.

I shout a mixture of taunting profanities at the TV at the end because if a family member ever did that to me, i’d disown them forever .

Don’t you dare press that button and take that deal. If I lose, I take full responsibility for it. I’ll have to live with that decision.

Don’t take $39,000 out of odds-based cowardice and burn a pile of $1,300,000 in front of me and not expect a sucker punch.

Edit: I can’t wait for some hypothetical future episode where someone gets hosed out of, like, 5 or 6 million bucks and walks away with 300 Grand because their mee-maw got the jitters.

Gonz fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Jun 28, 2019

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Shinjobi posted:

Holey Moley was an insane show, where the least crazy thing in the episode is the bizarre mini-golf/wipeout hybrid courses.

You had a goddamn golf robot out there

They used goddamn Kenny G last week as a psych-out tactic from Baseketball, too.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gonz posted:

They used goddamn Kenny G last week as a psych-out tactic from Baseketball, too.

I watched the series premier again, and it seems like they want to do too much or maybe were originally going to have a two hour show. They managed to get all the crazy stuff in (and remind you that this is Steph Curry's) baby, but I feel bad the contestants who got the "during the commercial break..." Treatment.

Tomorrow on BUZZR, they continue their fourth birthday celebration with a tribute to pride... Within the limits of mid-century game shows. They've found an episode of What's My Line? where Judy Garland is the mystery guest, and the subtle styles of Paul Lynde and Charles Nelson Reilly. They've also collected every Whammy they could find from the original Press Your Luck and put it into one video:
https://facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2261918557358260&id=1594990200717769&__tn__=%2As%2As-R

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Pleasantly surprised by the new Press Your Luck retaining most of the charm of the original (I wish they would stick the multiple choices above their heads during the question round though.) Even Banks as host isn't that bad. And the bonus round is actually fun to watch with the personalized prizes.

Not as big on the ten card rows on Card Sharks. Seems like it's pretty hard to actually make it all the way down there. Much prefer the two win format.

Spin the Wheel and Holey Moley would both benefit from being as crazy as possible. The format of adding money amounts to the wheel gets confusing, and at the end of the day, they aren't actually spinning the wheel so it's kind of lame. Not that a wheel that big can be spun by a lowly human, but they could at least let them choose the power level or something.

As for Holey Moley, they spend all this money on giant versions of relatively simple holes. In my mind, each hole should have a different theme they go all out with. Remember that old PC game 3D Ultra Mini Golf, where you'd hit the ball across a Blade Runner rooftop or a banshee castle or a drive-in? Like that. I think it suffers from the single-elimination format, making it hard to see every hole. Just have two people competing, or even two families who alternate golfers, and show us every hole.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
I do wonder sometimes what makes someone "good enough" to be invited on to a game show. I get there's a certain amount of telegenic presence you need, but my example is "The King of the Walk On Line" from Ninja Warrior, Dave Cavanagh. The dude spent a total of 77 days in walk on lines over the past five years, making it to Vegas at least twice. I'm surprised NBC took their time to finally get him out of the Walk on category (unless he hated submitting tapes every year). Replacing the line with a lottery was probably inevitable, as I'm sure cities loved having a crowd of people occupying public parks for weeks at a time.

rockinricky
Mar 27, 2003
Here's a blast from the past, the July 13, 1973 episode of The Price is Right. I wonder if they even offered $10,000 total in prizes that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBAyG-r_bU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
So much brown.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

rockinricky posted:

Here's a blast from the past, the July 13, 1973 episode of The Price is Right. I wonder if they even offered $10,000 total in prizes that day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDBAyG-r_bU

Lol, get hosed betting $351. That strategy always rubbed me the wrong way like the Forrest Bounce in Jeopardy; even though a ton has changed in terms of acting crazy, what people wear, length of the show and spay and neuter your pets, it's strangely comforting to see that strategy. Bob Barker also put on a drat Master Class.

I've updated the op with a few shows I left off, and depending on if I have free time/energy I might make an effort post of cable game shows. Look at that list nearly made me cross eyed, so who knows.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Anybody else give Bring the Funny a try? It feels like a comedy focused America's got Talent spinoff for now, but there does seem to be promise that Jeff Foxworthy and Kenan Thompson will be more critical than Howie Mandel.

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of price is right, you ever wonder why there's never been a pilot of the current version? at this point in history (1972), old man goodson didn't need to film a pilot, just cut to the sales pitch. and to do that, they more or less filmed an office run-through with him and dennis james playing a couple of pricing games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iv3eCE9C2Uk

also includes clips of james guest-hosting let's make a deal -- as part of the first wave/pre-scandal period of game shows, james was that kind of "audience participation" host from the era of shows like 'truth or consequences,' 'people are funny,' and 'okay, mother'* -- shows where the game was nowhere near as important as it was to put people in unexpected situations to see how they'd react.

*took its name from james' early days in tv of announcing boxing and wrestling matches for the dumont network -- it was his way of explaining what was going on to those unfamiliar with either sport/'sport.'

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jul 12, 2019

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
speaking of audience participation shows, why the gently caress has nobody tried to bring back truth or consequences? for such a simple show, they had a hell of a lot of creativity with their scenarios:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojrCzg6u6Eg&t=379s

(and it really shows how well bob barker did with crowdwork. and it's a shame time constraints got tighter and tighter on price towards the end of his tenure that it became a rote process for him. that, and age catching up to him. :( )

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jul 12, 2019

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost
Cross posting from the general chat thread:

https://www.courierpostonline.com/s...nly/2836881002/

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
okay, after doing a lot of working, i finally found the time to write about a european game show:

De Slimste Mens ter Wereld ("The Smartest Person in the World")

2003 - present, produced by woestijnvis -- here's a recent episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbv2ClPd7H0

woestijnvis takes its name from a blooper from the belgian version of wheel of fortune. they also gave the world "kabouter wesley"

it's really got a laid-back, late-night chat show vibe going on, and it really comes through in the first round as it gives the players, van looy, and the two guests on the jury a chance to crack jokes, show short internet videos leading into the questions, and just generally giving the contestants a chance to warm up and shake off any nervousness they might have.

for all but the first season, it's been hosted by director erik van looy (directed "the loft" and "memory of a killer"), and features celebrities as contestants, with a rotating crew of other celebrities who act as the jury for the show -- what actual adjudication duties they may have is never really clear, but given that comedians seem to be most often on the jury i'd be tempted to say they're there as a way to punch up the conversation to keep things lively.

so here's how it breaks down: The contestants are playing for time, each starting out with a bank of 60 seconds. During regulation play, the player with the most time earned sits out of the final round, with 2nd and 3rd place going head-to-head to determine which player goes home.

round one is called 3-6-9. 15 questions, players keep control until they get a question wrong, with the caveat being that ten extra seconds are awarded for the correct answer to every third question in the stack. it's standard, simple, q-and-a stuff. like i said, it's played somewhat loose here, because this takes up the biggest part of the show (even then the very first question isn't asked until some 9 minutes into it). it gives the players, van looy, and the two guests on the jury a
chance to crack jokes, show short internet videos leading into the questions, and just generally giving the contestants a chance to warm up and shake off any nervousness they might have.

round two is called 'open door.' here is where things start getting serious (kinda). each player gets their own question, and the 3rd-place player starts off by picking one of three video clips leading into their question. the video clips generally have other celebrities asking the question, like when they got quentin tarrantino to ask one during a press junket for the hateful eight on a championship episode:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj3qG_TMMh0

as you'll see here, the questions are open-ended to encourage the players to rattle off everything they know about the subject. you'll also notice that from here on out, each player is on their clock when they're trying to answer. there are four pre-selected words or phrases associated with the subject that award additional 20 seconds to their time if they mention them during their answer. the clock stops when they either give all the answers or when they're stumped and say 'stop.' if there are any answers unrevealed when a player stops, then the other players get a chance to steal, starting with the player with the least amount of time.

round three is the puzzle round: 12 items are shown, and the object is to figure out the common bonds between three groups of four -- it's a bit like the connecting wall from only connect, but they're not required to call out the items in each group, just what they have in common. it's a little harder, so they award 30 seconds for each common bond they find. again, any unsolved groups are offered to the other players for a chance to steal.

round four is the gallery: each player looks at ten pictures with a common theme. they aren't told what that theme is, but it gets pretty obvious by the second or third picture. all the players have to do is say what they're looking at -- and the pictures have varied from memes, to album covers, to celebrities with a common name, IDing artists by their paintings, you name it. right answers add ten seconds, players can call 'stop' and go onto the next one if they don't know -- however, everybody only gets to see each picture once, so attempts to steal have to be from memory.

round five is collective memory: each player gets a video clip (items from the news, usually, but tv and film clips are also mixed in). each clip is worth up to 150 seconds, broken down by how many answers they give (1st right answer is worth 10, 2nd is worth 20, 3rd is 30, etc), so a player who stops too early is giving a trailing player a chance to rocket ahead.

at this point, the player with the most time is crowned the winner and gets to come back tomorrow. the other two players take their scores with them into the finale. head-to-head play, each question has five answers, the player with the least time gets first crack. correct answers knock twenty seconds off their opponent's clock, with the goal being to run the other person's clock out before yours does.

the way the tournament works is that they keep track of how many episodes a player has been on, with ties broken by how many times a player finished in first place. doesn't seem fair to those who got in two days before the championship started, right? well, the two players who get to return at the end of regulation play get to play in the post-season, but they're joined by the player at the bottom of the top ten. the next episode, the departing contestant is replaced by the 9th-best, and so on until the season finale when the top-ranked player plays whoever is left. in the championship episode, the two highest scores play in the finale to determine who is the overall champ.

like i said, i love the hell out of this show, and encourage others to check it out. i was introduced to this show by nick "brig bother" gates (contributor to ukgameshows and operator of bothersbar.co.uk) who even did a short tournament with some of his friends, so if you'd like to see an english-language version of it in action, you're in luck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHrZjDF_RMk

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jul 18, 2019

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."
https://deadline.com/2019/06/nickelodeon-the-crystal-maze-1202625896/

One of my favorite pieces of news is that NICKELODEON is bringing the UK cult show "The Crystal Maze" to the United States, but instead of celebrities (because modern format) they are doing FAMILIES, so that is making me very intrigued.

Also, 25 Words or Less is premiering in Syndication in the Fall, so it's very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

Nap Ghost

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

De Slimste Mens ter Wereld ("The Smartest Person in the World")

This sounds interesting, but I'd be curious how it would work stateside. Netflix maybe? I've also realized this is the same country that gave us Blokken a/k/a Tetris the Quiz Show:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3YsZi_B9os

TelevisedInsanity posted:

https://deadline.com/2019/06/nickelodeon-the-crystal-maze-1202625896/

One of my favorite pieces of news is that NICKELODEON is bringing the UK cult show "The Crystal Maze" to the United States, but instead of celebrities (because modern format) they are doing FAMILIES, so that is making me very intrigued.

Also, 25 Words or Less is premiering in Syndication in the Fall, so it's very interesting.

Legends of the Industrial Temple also looks promising; I don't know what it says about either Nickelodeon's budget or modern transatlantic airplane tickets that they'll film this in England instead of whipping something up in a backlot.