Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I'm looking forward to it. I've stayed away from learning many specifics about it, but I've wanted another real single player SW campaign for years (BF2 was decently fun but mostly just whet my appetite for a full campaign), and I loved the Titanfall 2 campaign so the developer gave me some hope. I just blew a bunch of gamestop credit on the preorder, so if it's terrible I'll be disappointed but it won't really cost me anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hell, I'm still not sure I've heard of Apex Legends.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Pylons posted:

I'm not going to draw any conclusions about the game from EA's weird marketing.

:emptyquote:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

8.5 "MEDIOCRE"

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm just tired of game review scores, is all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

It's nice to know that no matter what, Fallen Order will not be the most disappointing game I've bought this year.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

precision posted:

I think it's probably a very safe bet that this game will be easy even on hard because it's Star Wars and literal 5 year olds will want to play it all the way through

I will still struggle with it, :toxx: me

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just got my gamestop call reminding me I can stop by at 4PM tomorrow to pick up my voucher to pick up the game at 9PM. I'm getting more hyped than I thought, but lol if I'm going to make multiple trips and stand in line for a game I won't break out until Friday anyway :effort:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I kinda hated to go there, but I wanted a physical copy and they had a big buyback credit bonus this summer that more than paid for the preorder.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

ITT we have overly strong opinions about a game that's not really even out yet

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

vandalism posted:

No lightsaber dismemberment.

I don't even know if that's a good or bad thing, tbh

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Wheeee posted:

Anyone who hasn't yet should download Titanfall 2 just for the campaign, even if you never intend to touch multiplayer.

This, I don't feel cheated at all for buying the game and never even considering multiplayer. Just tons of fun and creative in a way that was really refreshing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Welp my 40 minutes is up, guess I'll play some more next week!

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Honestly looking forward to casting the final judgment on the game's build quality, I feel like my rustbucket of a PS4 will provide a solid testing scenario.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Oh hi mark

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

I think this would have comfortably been an 8/10 PS3 game but it's probably a 6/10 2019 game.

Down from a mediocre 8.5, drat

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

*looks extremely skeptically at all the jedis who sit around complaining that they can't just chop up every animal and person*

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

but its never really a casual thing in the movies. its either a big "oh gently caress moment" baddie death or some other poo poo.

Accurately modeled dismemberment, but it's only possible for one arm of the companions of drunks who are antagonizing you in a bar

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

In short, Fallen Order is a game of contrasts

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

97-05 was like the best run of licensed games ever made. Dark forces II/Dark forces III Jedi Knight II/Dark Forces IV Jedi Knight III Jedi Academy, Rogue Squadron I/II/Most of III, KOTOR I/II, Episode I Racer, just endless piles of good star wars games. I'd put the streak to the early 90's if there wasn't a run of dogshit between Tie Fighter and DFII.

I'm still looking forward to this one and hope it helps lead to a resurgence of single player story campaigns, but I've said for years what I really want is a modern-gen podracer game. It was already impressive back in the day, and would just lend itself perfectly to insane design ideas, capped off by the nice twist on standard racing mechanics.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean, he was Han Solo But CoolerTM

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Sweet, I got credit for a free movie ticket with my preorder, maybe I'll go see a Star War next month. I hate to say it but gamestop really did me well.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Chomp8645 posted:

You can just download it, guys!

This game was paid for solely via return credit I wouldn't've gotten with digital games, it only felt natural to continue the cycle with another physical copy.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Star Wars Jedi: The Order's Fallen And It Can't Get Up

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Played through the whole intro and the start of the first new planet you visit, and honestly...it looks and plays fine?
The only things that have jumped out are a couple weird pop-ins of peoples' hats during cutscenes (:confused:) and yeah, sometimes the eyes move around a little too animatedly, which is tough to unsee once you notice it. And yeah, your character moves a little too fast and inertialessly when you first start moving, which makes it easy to goof around, but lol if you sit around doing that just to complain about it.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

McCloud posted:

I'm so terrible at this game it took me an hour to kill that overgrown boss frog on the first level. I'm thinking I should check my ego and turn down the difficulty from Master to knight.

I decided to test it out at Jedi Knight rather than my usual [s]baby[/b] Youngling difficulty, and it seems very doable.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I mean if there was a good Star Trek game I'd buy that to support a hypothetical space communism future

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I'm at the second world now, and I'm liking the combat a lot. It's fun and takes some skill, but is also simple enough that I can grasp it without having to memorize all sorts of combos. And having the dedicated block button but requiring a timed press to actually deflect blaster bolts back into enemies feels awesome af, I don't think that'll ever get old.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

fadam posted:

I'm still early, but I really appreciate how the damage you take and do is really high. The first named guy I came across could kill me in one hit, but I only had to hit him like eight or nine times to kill him. I find that way more fun than wailing on a giant bag of HP.

It's also nice that death isn't THAT much of a setback, from what I've seen. You don't lose much progress, and you have a good chance at just going back and collecting whatever XP you lost without too much effort. It feels like a good balance between wanting to avoid it but not being super frustrated when you screw up.

e: OH MY GOD your droid buddy's head is also your flashlight in dark places, 11/10 best game of all time :3:

Captain Hygiene fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Nov 16, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

fadam posted:

That being said, in this game, the new Dad of War, Uncharted, etc., the sections where there's a giant wall or fence or something and you have to watch your guy just slowly climb around it and there's no real challenge or obstacles other than figuring out exactly where to go or which ledge to hold the stick toward before hitting jump- does anyone actually like them? They're so boring and pointless.

Yeah, that was cool and cinematic for about 15 seconds the first time I jumped into a current-gen adventure game, but it gets old fast. At least it's not something I hate, it's more just enforced slowness.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Just waiting for the force upgrade that lets me ignore these hot takes

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

JBP posted:

PS4 bros, you can fix this game with performance mode in the menu. I don't think it gave the option to start with which is strange but it fixes all the pop in and graphical weirdness by locking to 1080.

I still think your PS4's haunted or something, it works as fine as any game on the system. Like two texture pop ins on an early cutscene and maybe a half second of dropped frames when I'm switching areas or getting into a cutscene at several hours in, it seems perfectly fine :shrug:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Friendly Fire posted:

People use lock on outside of a boss fight?

Much like God of War, lock on is usually worse than not locking in in my experience.

I'm switching back and forth based on context, it seems like it helps the fights go better against some of the critters, but definitely not against troopers and such.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Wish the game would let BD scan the scomp box locations so I don't have to explore the whole map again searching for them in the future.

Cal probably just never thinks to ask him, the concept of boxes seems to elude him as he's still basically "WHOA WHAT THE HECK??" when BD dives into one to get supplies or treasure for the few dozenth time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

He’s reacting to BD diving in before he can check himself but that doesn’t make it any less funny when he reacts like that every time.

Oh yeah, but there's at least one reaction that's something like "Where are you going?", that doesn't quite make sense, making it easier to believe Cal's just constantly baffled.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

lmao I keep forgetting there's even a way to heal thanks to the minimalist interface. I just went through a pretty grueling section about ten times, grumbling about how far it was between checkpoints when there's combat strung through most of it. Finally got to the end with exactly one blip of health remaining, and the meditation point reminded me that stim canisters were refilled :arghfist::saddowns:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Sliding down a ramp dodging obstacles (that can't hurt you) is nowhere near as exciting as the devs deem to think it is though.

This is the one component I actively dislike so far. It feels like a thoughtless rip from Tomb Raider, but weirdly clumsy in execution compared to just about everything else. At least you just bounce off stuff instead of meeting an overly gruesome end every time.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah the trooper voices are great, I enjoy when I get too close and they immediately follow up on their threat of hitting me.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

More good stormtrooper dialogue as I'm facing off one on one with a rocket trooper, ts I'm trying to get the timing for pushing the rockets back.

[confidently] "He can't handle fighting us!"
*I take yet another rocket to the face*
[a bit more abashed and uncertain] "Maybe I...shouldn't have hit him..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Bust Rodd posted:

Every mini-boss kills you in two hits no matter how much health and upgrades you have, and I’m currently at a section that has like 15 minutes of platforming around a set piece and two big fights and no checkpoints and it’s very rapidly sapping my resolve to continue. If I’m over halfway done then I’ll press on, but I don’t want to go through this 3-4 more times.

Why not just bump the difficulty down long enough to get past that point if you're having fun otherwise?