Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just went to the spooky planet as a detour before Kashyyk and :psyduck:

I found a bench and figured "oh hey, an opportunity to check out my new styles/colours", turns out that this bench is where I arbritrarily fix my lightsaber to be a double saber? Not a single word of dialogue or anything, just suddenly boom I have a double bladed lightsaber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Just had the second fight with Second Sister and good lord the saber duels in this game are fantastic. Absolute peak so far, gameplay-wise.

Also great story-wise, because Second Sister's VA is just having the absolute time of their life every time they open their mouth and I love it.

edit: Is she going to poo poo-talk me for this entire tomb/dungeon? Please tell me she is. :allears:

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Nov 20, 2019

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I dunno about Xbox One X Enhanced, but I'd be willing to pay :tenbux: for Jedi Academy regardless. It's a very good game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

imo while the combat is only serviceable against animals and monsters, it's very good against humanoids

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I just discovered that now sometimes when I go to do some backtracking, there may be some nerd waiting for me with a rocket launcher and a jetpack.

Game good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Nightbrothers got a lot less annoying when I realised that their big overhead swing was an opportunity to smack them a few times.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dathromir got a lot more fun when I actually was supposed to come for the story.

Enough human enemies to balance out the monster enemies, swarms of undead who you can mow down but will wreck your poo poo if you let them get the advantage, a giant bat boss fight... Looking forward to doing the rest after dinner.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

precision posted:

Man this first planet just keeps on going. I've had a message about going to Kashyyk for a while but I keep finding places to explore, am I supposed to leave or keep poking around?

This game is Metroid Prime with Jedi. Poke around until you get bored of poking around.

Also don't leave Zeffo until you find the Scomp link.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Oh man oh man :allears:

I had been spoiled on the double bladed saber existing. I had no loving idea that I was going to also get dual sabers

This game is extremely good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Some of the story sequences in this are really cool.

I just had the vision in the vault in Bogano, then immediately got bodied by Second Sister. This game is good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dessel posted:

Yeah the long-winded leaping charge attack gives you an insta-kill animation prompt when you parry it where Cal jumps on the spider and stabs it. I wonder if there are other similar ones in the game.

If a Lesser Nydak does its three hit combo on you (the one that starts with a leap) and you parry each hit, you get an instakill prompt.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

:smug:

Anyways, just finished the game. Why was there a lot of complaints about the final boss? I thought it was a great fight, my only complaint was that the shockwave attack needed a more obvious tell to distinguish it from the other unblockables.

Also, that ending sequence was amazing. I loved the way you heard the breathing before anything else, and it was such a fantastic oh poo poo. Reminds me of the ending of Rogue One. Whoever did the voice was a great soundalike for James Earl Jones.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

precision posted:

Single blade is better for fighting humans 1 on 1 I've found. Double blade is for groups and animals

Holy poo poo, the first bit on Kashyyk is crazy fun and very Star Wars. I think I kinda love this game?

The game does a great job of breaking up the metroid prime exploration with the occasional linear cinematic setpiece.

The Order 66 sequence was amazing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Also the vision/dream in the Vault was cool but it would have been incredible if it ended with a fight against Inquisitor Cal very late game spoiler

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo the one thing the maps needed is multiple landing pads per planet, Metroid Prime 3 style. Three on Zeffo, two each on Kashyyk and Dathomir.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Imo the combat in this game is extremely good against humanoids, just mediocre against animals.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Dongattack posted:

Spoil something for me please:

I just finished my lightsaber business at Ilum and the sickly beige blob that pilots the ship said something like "hey wasnt there a huge crashed ship at Zeffo??? wonder if it has any loot hint hint?" to which i replied "LOL YEAH LET ME PAD OUT THIS GAME FOR SOME XP ORBS AND PONCHO MATERIALS, NOT" and flew to Dathomir. What's in the crashed ship at Zeffo? The only thing that could interest me at this point is red colored lightsaber, sick bossbattle or some more AT-AT action.

It's such a loving long level to trek through too.

None of those, it's just a neat area to roll through with extra story you learn through scans and echoes

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The loot is the usual crap but it does scratch the exploration itch very nicely.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

God I wish that sequence ended witha boss fight against Inquisitor Cal. Also, using the lightsaber igniting mechanic to reveal darkside Cal was really really good.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The thing that changed everything for me for that boss fight is realising that the short range dodge gives a small amount of iframes, that combined with the ability that gives a brief moment of slowed time when you time a dodge right allowed me to get a LOT of hits in.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

precision posted:

"We're making a game about a space wizard with a laser sword. Let's have a whole level where you don't have said sword."

I agree, that level in Jedi Academy ruled.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Please spoiler all mentions of that scene y'all, it was amazing going into it blind and I don't want that experience messed with for others.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I do wish that we got more time with Nightsister Merrin. She's wonderfully sassy when she's not trying to murder you.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Captain Hygiene posted:

That's very true, but also prime sequel character material.

Yeah that's what I figured. Definitely gonna be a romance interest.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I love this game but yeah just a bit more time to bake would have made it incredible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Was it ever explained why the Clones suddenly turned on the Jedi? They seemed so nice and friendly, so were they all just secretly evil? Did just 100% of them believe the lie about Jedi being traitors? Was there secret programming placed in them when they were cloned? It's possible this was explained in RotS, but I can't remember much about that movie.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

That's extremely depressing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bust Rodd posted:

Strong disagree. This game isn’t doing anything wrong by incorporating different elements together, but the half-bakes nature of components is what is dragging it down. If this game had the exact same content BUT the combat was tighter with better lock-on and the Meditation circles worked as Fast Travel points and the cosmetics did literally anything cool it would be a full letter grade higher.

Meditation points absolutely should not have been fast travel, part of the point of a metroidvania game is the traversal.

They should have done the Metroid Prime Corruption thing of having multiple landing points per planet though.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Jose Oquendo posted:

Why would anyone be surprised about either? The double saber is in literally every Star Wars game involving lightsabers since The Phantom Menace. And why would anyone NOT expect Vader to show up in a game about Jedi set between the PT and OT?

:shrug: I was surprised by Vader showing up. And you don't need to be a dick by posting an untagged spoiler about the end of the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Surprisingly Cal and Merrin have pretty decent chemistry. I loved their little exchanges after the Malikos fight.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Washin Tong posted:

Well, the fact that only 5 years before the Jedi order was almost completely destroyed by Stormtrooper predecessors with the same conventional weapons might play a little into that. You're just a runaway jedi kid to them. Dangerous, sure, but not utterly unbeatable.

By the way, we don't have to spoiler tag Order 66 at this point right? The fall of the jedi is literally discussed in the game's intro, but I've seen some people in this thead tag it anyways, so I might as well ask and edit if necessary.

The fact that it happened isn't a spoiler, but the really good flashback scene is.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bust Rodd posted:

I am literally stunned that Yahtzee likes this game enough to recommend it.

it's a good game

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

"precision dodge" is the non-roll dodge in any direction, and has iframes regardless of whether you do it with a direction or not.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Promethium posted:

As far as I can tell the timing slowdown skill only triggers on non-directional dodges.

Making use of the slowdown and dodge kick is how I beat the final boss, and it definitely triggered on directional dodges.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Blind Rasputin posted:

There’s also absolutely no way to string multiple parries because the animation of you raising and lowering your lightsaber is too slow to allow you to block a string of attacks. The entire game of sekiro was blocking strings of attacks, each one perfectly, in a dance with the enemy to finally get you a chance to strike. It was phenomenal sword play. This just doesn’t seem to allow it.

This is a completely untrue statement, with good timing you can absolutely block a flurry of attacks.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Biplane posted:

You need to not evade in a specific direction. Just press evade and he does a slowmo dodge backwards.

Once again, I have got slow time off directional dodges against the last boss

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Outstanding is my favourite line delivery in the game.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Is this game worth $60 or not? I see a bunch of great reviews, bad reviews, and also reviews saying the previous two types of reviews are hyperbole.

Yes it's a fun Star Wars story with good writing, great Metroid Prime style level design and combat that varies from middling to great based on what kind of enemy you're fighting. Best Star Wars game since Academy.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Vinylshadow posted:

The only chests that are worth it are lightsaber pieces and stims (the latter of which are a lot more common that you'd think)
I just wish there were more full outfit varieties rather than ponchos

The one good poncho is also worth it, Free Kashyyyk.

SirSamVimes fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Dec 26, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

This game is absolutely worth $60 imo.