Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Been playing through it, and it's a lot of fun. Hitting an enemy feels extremely satisfying and defeating them even more so, especially if they've been kicking your butt beforehand.

Camera's the true enemy, but that's been a thing since they first made third-person combat/platformer games

Story's kinda predictable, but I'm glad they actually bothered to show why it wouldn't work in the long run

7-8/10 Best Poncho Simulator - needs character customization (Even if it's just to change Cal's hair color) and the ability to skip cutscenes/rewatch them later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I spent an awkwardly long time on Zeffo's first tomb because I found the first and third balls, completely skipping over the second one sitting in a room that opens up when the first switch is pressed (that raises the two platforms on the left side of the room)

Was pretty cool using Slow to stop a ball in midair so you could Push it another way though

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

That one Zeffo sage really loved playing with their balls and demanded that anyone who wanted their secrets must do the same

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The game looks better on Medium settings than The Force Unleashed does on max settings, which I found amusing, although I think Kamino's rain looks better

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Owlbear Camus posted:

The Force Unleashed came out 11 years ago.

And they're still both great games if you're looking for a power fantasy rather than storytelling

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm guessing this is a "no duh" question, but starting a new game doesn't overwrite your progress, it just starts a new game in a new save slot which you can then load as needed, right?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Even with its jank, this game is extremely satisfying to play

I just wish there was a NG+ and Skip Cutscenes option

Also better saving, because it only saves to the Autosave, not the actual separate file save - you have two files, one 25% and one 50%, if you load up the 50% after playing the 25% for an hour, congrats, you just lost all that progress

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like casually dodging two inches to the left and watching the enemy's super attack whiz on by before dashing over to them like the stuff of nightmares and pushing them off a cliff

There are a LOT of cliffs in this game

Also the Dathomir zombies die to Force Push, but you seemingly don't get any exp for doing so, which sucks, because getting a whole swarm after you, then Pushing them all down is so satisfying

Or just mow them all down with the "hold button to switch saber styles" because it's flashy and devours the enemy's stamina when they foolishly try to guard

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I like jumping between planets with Merrin on board, because she has a lot to say, and definitely should've joined the party earlier

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I had five by the time I ran into her - one from the first visit to Bogano, and another from the first visit to Zeffo

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I love watching no-damage runs, because even if you're great at the game, it still look like Cal's barely keeping up with his enemies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F1CFNAv1c0M

The Malicos fight is a dance

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

OhFunny posted:

Did they layer their own music over some of the bosses? A remixed Duel of Fates did not play over the second half of the last duel with Second Sister when I fought her.

I do the same with some of my videos - they may be doing it to avoid copyright strikes, but the game's music hasn't triggered any for me - not even when Black Thunder was playing in the Arena

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Spergatory posted:

The fact that there's no new game plus, even if it was just for cosmetics, is a loving crime against video games. Let me use my bitchin purple lightsaber/pink poncho combo for longer than two hours of playtime, Respawn! :argh:

Closest we can get is through save file manipulation

There's also a saber color editor that comes with the ability to reassign the soundets with each color

Cyan's got a deep throaty sound that pairs well with Indigo, and using a red lightsaber is loads of fun

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

PunkBoy posted:

It's fun to look for the thematic parallels between this and KOTOR II. "Jedi dogma is kind of messed up" and "What does it mean to fall?" stood out for me. Might be some others I might have missed.

Makes sense, since Chris Avellone helped with some of the writing

Malicos is definitely his character carryover into the new canon

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Spergatory posted:

Precision Evade is the sickest thing and should have been part of the core gameplay instead of a late game ability.

It has the best sound effect and makes you look like a badass when you twitch two inches to the left to avoid an attack and then hammer home a flurry of your own

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Stumbled onto a glitch where I managed to turn my lightsaber on just as a cutscene was starting, so now Cal has an activated lightsaber hanging off his belt

This game is great

Also, depending on which style your saber was in before a cutscene plays, when Cal turns it on, it'll be either single or dual-bladed, which makes the scene where Merrin is holding it amusing

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I'm glad some of the more irritating enemies do have OHKO moves if you parry correctly

The Deathclaws on Dathomir have something similar if you parry them three times in a row

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

It shits all over both Raven (eeeeevil) and The Exile

Wasn't Revan a battery at one point with the Exile his Cortana?

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Saber throw is only really useful on blaster enemies since most melee enemies will block it

But why throw your saber when you can pull enemies to you and THEN impale them?

Makes hilarious short work of the Nightbrother Archers that way

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

I hope Cal is a player in a Podracing remake where he uses Slow to disrupt racer's engines, because I imagine a cog being out of sync with everything around it is gonna cause some major damage to the engine

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Would be nice if Disney wasn't so squeamish about letting you play as the bad guys and blow up some rebel scum

Battlefront II's multiplayer doesn't count, on account of being non-canon

Playing through Fallen Order with a red lightsaber is a lot of fun

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

I've rented it for 10 Bucks and it was perfect that way. There's no point in getting all the chests anyhow

The only chests that are worth it are lightsaber pieces and stims (the latter of which are a lot more common that you'd think)
I just wish there were more full outfit varieties rather than ponchos

Give me a game with FO's artstyle and weighted combat, coupled with Academy's sheer mod potential and you'd probably have one of the best Star Wars games of the decade

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Movement: Marvel's Spider-Man
Visuals: Bloodborne
Story: Fallen Order
Combat: Sekiro

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Sure, it's no...

*throws dart at Walking Simulator board*

...Death Stranding, but few things are

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Captain Hygiene posted:

Lookit this fool who hasn't found the pink poncho

Pink Vader was too much, but Pink Poncho+Saber is the better combo anyway

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

FastestGunAlive posted:

The dash+jump behind them skill was hilariously worthless, I think every boss can hard counter it. Force pull and push were really the only skills I used.

I just use the Dash to close distance and get a hit to lower their stamina, usually followed up by Slow, then a combo; rinse, wash, and repeat

The Staff dual-saber attack also is great if you can use the first hit to break their guard, because the second then hits like a truck

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

If you can use the force to correctly aim a proton torpedo, you should also be able to use the force to be a really good shot with a blaster.

That technically happens in Jedi Academy, where Force Sense makes the fire of blasters go straight down your crosshair - works wonders with the stormtrooper rifle and imperial repeater

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watching Grandmaster No-Damage fights are a treat to watch and I love hearing the sound of the precise evade

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

codo27 posted:

I find the parrying fairly easy and I'm on the second hardest difficulty, although some of the baton troopers can be a nuisance sometimes and its like it cancels out or something. But deflecting blaster bolts and parrying animals is pretty easy. Disappointed I cant fuckin force freeze rockets like Kylo with the blaster in TFA.

Does Slow work on rockets?

I know it works on Flametroopers and watching the fire in slow motion is really pretty

and then you get mauled by giant spiders because WHY WOULDN'T THERE BE GIANT SPIDERS

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

codo27 posted:

I stumbled across this great animation and one of you needs to dub it over or do something to make it even more hilarious. Make the thing into a disco ball or something
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVC3XBbfQpw (just uploaded sorry for poo poo quality)

There was an attempt

I tend to prefer image editing over video, if only because it takes 1/128th the time

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They sorta handwave it by giving you another switch when doing the upgrade - Dathomir gives you Magus, Bogano Cordova, and I don't recall what Kashyyyk's is called or if there's one on Zeffo

A line like "There's some old lightsaber pieces here, I wonder if..." and then he fiddles with it and whammo, he's got another blade

It's just the fact it's silent aside from the one on Bogano being a problem

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

They kinda encourage backtracking by having Cere mention previous planets once you get new powers - even saying that it might be worth going back to Bogano and checking around for Cordova's hidden caches after the first Zeffo trip, but the game's also pointing you at Kashyyyk to progress the story, so...

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Just the ability to warp between save points would be a godsend and just have it be a gameplay thing rather than a story thing and never mention it

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Not like Cal needs another potential love interest

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

We almost got a game with blastesr and bounty hunters because LucasFilm is very leery of using Jedi in games

So, ya know, Star Wars 1313

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Watching Cere mix up blaster use with saber use was great and it'd be nice to see that fleshed out in the future, or return to the time of JO/JA and give us an arsenal again

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Give us Imperial Commando you cowards - none of this Battlefront II fakeout crap

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

hiddenriverninja posted:

I'd pay a lot of money to get a high quality replica of my in-game saber complete with cyan blade. I don't think it's possible at the Disneyland workshop though.

Could probably commission someone with a 3D Printer and buy the electrical components from whatever sites handle the dueling saber scene (Ultrasabers? Saberforge?)

Disney could make a drat fine mint if they included all the options from Fallen Order at Galaxy's Edge, which would truly help make each saber more unique

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Polaron posted:

I feel like the sheer variety of saber materials alone precludes that, unfortunately.

It'd probably only come in duraplast

There's still parts from Fallen Order named after what Galaxy's Edge gives you, but I don't know if the designs are 1:1