Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Thom12255 posted:

This game is better than The Force Unleashed.

The Force Unleashed had the aim of "kicking someone's rear end with the Force". I know they had to dial it down to make Fallen Order more in line with the movies but I miss and will miss the over-the-top display of devastation in TFU, forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

New Game Plus when?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Happy days! A sequel with tighter controls would be sweet. I loved The Force Unleashed. TFU2 wasn't as good a game in most respects but the controls were waaaaay more responsive.

Hopefully these new Zen 2 consoles will make those Jaguar APUs pay for their crimes, eh?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Any word on a new game plus mode?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

JBP posted:

They said it's impossible to implement NG+ given it would impinge on the incredibly well crafted world gating and beautifully realised AAA narrative experience.

Yeah but that's no different than the likes of the Arkham games. Wretched punks.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Is new game plus now an option?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Looking forward to playing this on Xbox Series X, it apparently runs at a more or less locked 60FPS. Some reviewers are saying the lower latency controls make a nice difference too.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

I got through it by turning factions off, which usually ends with Malicos and Inquisitor Kestis at one another's throats by the end and it's usually best to focus on Inqui-Cal because he has a frankly absurd health pool compared to everything else - which fair enough, given the average player's skill level by the end of the game

Otherwise this is usually how things go

Is there still no way to replay the last level unless you replay the entire game?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I'm really surprised they haven't announced a sequel by now. It sold above expectations and it's a fun game.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Skippy McPants posted:

Only came out last November, and this is a console release year which makes dev cycles fucky. To say nothing of COVID.

I could see them doing an announcement during the summer press conference blitz, but I also wouldn't be shocked if we don't hear anything about a sequel till 2022.

Sometimes release dates are set for sequels before the first one is out the door. Would be great if they build a sequel with Unreal Engine 5 and used all the next-gen capabilities in the new systems - SSDs, ray tracing, excellent CPUs for the first time on consoles for 7 years etc.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

What next-gen updates is the game getting in the summer?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Vinylshadow posted:

High Level Summary of Features:
Improved framerate on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5
Improved dynamic resolution ranges, for a higher resolution experience on Xbox Series X|S and PlayStation 5
Improved post-processing resolution for Xbox Series X and PS5. (Not Xbox Series S)

Console Specifics:

Xbox Series S
Framerate has been increased to 60 FPS (up from 45 FPS)

Xbox Series X Performance mode
Framerate has been increased to 60 FPS
Dynamic resolution added in the range of 1080p to 1440p

Xbox Series X Normal mode (non-performance mode)
Postprocessing has been increased to 4K
Dynamic resolution in the range of 1512p to 2160p

PlayStation 5
Framerate has been increased to 60 FPS (up from 45 FPS)
Postprocessing increased to 1440p
Dynamic resolution has been disabled and the game is rendering at 1200p (up from 810-1080p)

Lovely job, cheers.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Next-gen upgrade is now live. Xbox Series X download is 49.51GB.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

drat, I need to do another playthrough. Why do I keep buying new games faster than I beat them :smith:

Friend let me tell you about Game Pass...

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Sinteres posted:

I started playing on Game Pass tonight after enjoying the Battlefront 2 campaign more than I expected, and I think this game might be a bust for me. The combat is fun, but I wasn't expecting so much platforming, and hanging on to the clamps early on made me feel acrophobic. Given that platforming was easily the majority of the actual gameplay on the first level, it seems safe to assume it's going to continue being a major element, and probably one that'll get harder, right?

There are also a bunch of puzzles that require different Force powers to progress that are quite fun.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

A Fallen Order 2 game, built with Unreal Engine 5 and learning the gameplay lessons from this game, could be a future classic. The score was excellent too, great dialogue and the end level cameo are so good.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thread's dead, but EA today confirmed another Jedi game is being made, alongside a Star Wars first person shooter also made by Respawn. No details on release date yet so far as I know.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Really can't wait for this. I played Fallen Order 3 times, the second time right after the first.

Just hope they make the maps more easily traversable with fast travel. I'm taking it Unreal Engine 5 is a given at this point.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I hope the controls are as responsive as The Force Unleashed 2, which was a massive step up on its own predecessor in that regard.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jedi Titanfallen Order when?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Exactly. I'm nearly done with my 4th play through and the maps are still an abomination. They're fine just playing through the game naturally but god love you if you want to go back to clear out all the green bits you ignored when you were originally there. I have to look up on YouTube routes for half the places I'm trying to get to.

Combat still rules though. They could maybe do something like the Batman Arkham games in Survivor. It'll be a stunning game, Fallen Order looks gorgeous and UE5 will hopefully get its legs stretched without having to account for 9 year old shitboxes.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Tom Tucker posted:

Replaying this game and it has a lot of good tone and gameplay moments but the real triumph it has is right after you get your new lightsaber. The whole game you've been using your Master's and slowly learning new skills, making it feel a bit clunky. Then on Ilum you finally get a real choice on customizing the lightsaber color, right as you bond more with BD-1, and right after you get your new lightsaber you're handed an amazing new power move and the game just throws a poo poo-ton of enemies at you as if to say "go nuts".

Remind me, what's the new power move you get there?

One can get the double lightsabre early in the game by going to Dathomir and following the path round a bit, so that's handy. I didn't find this out until after the point you get it anyway in my most recent playthrough.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

fezball posted:

The one where you split your saber in two, which is basically an instant kill on any kind of regular trooper with a decent splash area as well.

Ah yes cheers. I like that this game goes for the duelling we see in the sequel trilogy rather than the more acrobatic style in the prequels, seems more violent and that each strike is meant to do some damage or deflection rather than swinging around a lot.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

SlothfulCobra posted:

It's still insane to me that extended material decided that the new empire's new death star was actually a hollowed-out Ilum. Because if that had been a detail actually in the movie that would've added a lot more interest than it just being a generic planet blowing up totally unnamed planets.

Don't forget that JJ Abrams doesn't give a poo poo about coherence or fleshing out a plot, in favour of his ridiculous mystery box philosophy his child mind created that he seems to think is some deep and meaningful method of telling a story.

He says he "learned the hard way" that a trilogy really should have an outline before it's embarked upon. How this man keeps getting work I don't know. Apart from Star Wars, his moronic handling of Star Trek is also abysmal.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Torrannor posted:

Going away from speculation that probably turns out to be totally wrong, I have some non-spoilery questions. I don't quite understand where that data about young force sensitive people comes from. Is it compiled from some jedi insights/prophecies or what? Or is it from the seekers looking for force sensitive children? But the jedi induct potential members as young as possible, why were these young force sensitive beings not padawans at that time?

Also, when exactly does the game take place? How long after the jedi temple massacre, and Palpatine becoming the emperor?

I like your prediction on the endgame.

I think that Eno Cordova fellow wrote the list but I'm not entirely sure where he got the names from.

The game takes place 5 years after the Emperor's Purge. That level in the game was great.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

If you like Star Wars lore I highly recommend the Revenge of the Sith novelisation. It's beautifully written and delves much deeper into the characters than was shown in the movie.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Torrannor posted:

The map was really, really good. Easily showing unexplored paths, clearly marking for now unusable parts in red, and parts that opened up because you got a new ability in green. That was seriously great, it helped a ton in navigating the world. It would have been nice if it had also marked chests that you interacted with, but that you couldn't open yet. But that's a minor issue.

Cool takes apart from this! The maps were loving horrendous! There were parts of them I couldn't figure out how to get to and sometimes it took me 30 years getting back to the Mantis. It was fine just playing through the campaign but going back for completion was baaad.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Fuzz posted:

They meant the interactive map ingame.

Me too, sorry I wasn't clear.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

I wonder if it's built with Unreal Engine 5? Interesting that it's just releasing for current gen consoles and PC, hopefully they leverage the power of the new systems. A pity it doesn't require an SSD though, the last remnants of the Old Republic need to be swept away.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Torrannor posted:

So did anybody zoom into this special part of the big Jedi Survivor art? What is that? An exploding death start? A planet that's breaking apart? Seems pretty important.

Just looks like an asteroid to me. They do not need another planet -destroying superweapon in Star Trek.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Ytlaya posted:

Merrin was sucked into the Mantis's engines when Greez hosed up and turned them on while she was standing near them. Greez then lied to Cal/Cere and told them that she had decided to return to Dathomir.

Merrin/Greez lovechild is the silent baby protagonist for episodes 10 through 12. Excuse me, X through XII.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

el oso posted:

- NO MORE SLIDES

Adding no more tight spaces to squeeze through to this. I think they're both used to hide loading in the background, necessitated by being developed for slow rear end hard disk drives. The PC system requirements don't mention an SSD sadly so I'm not sure we can kiss those goodbye just yet, even though last gen consoles aren't getting the game.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Also you need to go gold 6-8 weeks before launch, as a minimum, if you want any hope of physical media being available on store shelves on release day.

If they game wasn't launch ready right now: they had to push. Pretty big decision to bump it into the next FY, but I doubt Respawn's ledger is hurting with Apex money flowing in at a steady rate...

Different type of game entirely but I think one of the most recent Call of Duty games shipped with 90MB on the disc at release.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Thank baby Jesus Christ for fast travel! Can't believe they never patched it into Fallen Order.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

JBP posted:

I liked the story and characters a lot, but if the game but isn't significantly improved I'll just wait and grab it on sale later this time. The footage of the combat didn't give me any confidence that the gameplay is any better.

More force powers could overcome a bit of that tho. FO could have used more space magic.

What in particular would you like to see improved?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Wolfsheim posted:

I started this up recently since there was a free PS5 update and I'm not sure about grabbing the sequel yet. I'm still not sure; the combat is real clunky compared to the Soulsborne style its emulating and most of the levels feel very sparse and half-baked, but at the same time its easily the prettiest Star Wars game that I think has ever been released, and being able to force push a stormtrooper off a cliff to his screaming death in crisp 4k seems like a worthwhile experience. I also played around a bit with the photo mode:

God, I love the first level. It may be the best part of the game from a visual design standpoint.

Look at this poo poo! This is literally just the back of the train Cal is on for about five minutes and this gonk droid and pile of luggage has more unique assets than like, the entire Kashyyyk cave system.

I do like Zeffo though. Or maybe I just like saying Zeffo. Zeffooooooooo

:classiclol: made me laugh out loud!

I really hope there are more urban//industrial/cityscape type environments in Jedi Survivor. I agree that lots of the worlds in Fallen Order looked well but were reasonably uninteresting.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

...! posted:

I just replayed Fallen Order and the lack of fast travel just kept making me angrier and angrier the further into the game I got. Why did they leave out such a basic and important QoL feature? Going back to a planet to get something you missed, having to take half an hour to figure out how to get there and then another half hour just trying to figure out how to get back is not fun!

All they had to do was put in fast travel between bonfires. That's it! Fast travel would break or trivialize a specific gameplay sequence? Then disable fast travel for the duration of that sequence and then reenable it immediately afterward! This is not hard! gently caress!

The very first thing I did after completing the game was check to see if the new game would have fast travel. It would have been a 100% dealbreaker if it didn't. I just hope to god they fired whoever greenlit the sliding sequences. Those were not fun.

It will also be great if they've decided to not make chests be pointless this time around. If literally the only thing you're going to put in chests is cosmetic items then it would be better to just unlock all the cosmetics at the start of the game and leave out the chest system altogether.

To pick up on two of your points, I think the shifting sequences hide loading screens, and the developers said they ran out of time to implement more lootbox ideas.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Not gonna lie, Westernised Merrin would get it.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Jose Oquendo posted:

When does this take place? I know it's still before Yavin.

Fallen Order was 5 years after Revenge of the Sith, and Survivor is 5 years after FO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

JBP posted:

The third one is Jedi Victim

The third one is just a funeral pyre in Unreal Engine 5, occasionally being poked by an off screen character. New game plus is getting the dual wield poker from the start.