Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
lmao that it's made by asobo of all people
all the devs working there aren't of the highest quality, let's say

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

oh really the developer primarily known for cheap disney tie-ins doesn't have a great reputation?

(not that i have any idea, i had never heard of them until today!)

they helped us on our game and well it wasnt widely considered a pleasant experience, although tbf they probably didn't assign their a team on our project either

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

and man, imagine if they put military planes in it? no need to ever build another combat flight simulator. want to fly a virtual mission to nuke korea well uhhh you just put your planes in korea and go for it. the terrain and buildings and airfields are already there. bing maps even has car- and shrub-level resolution of pyongyang, somehow.

microsoft probably won't do that though. they took the world trade center out of fs2002, which was released a month after 9/11, and no version since has had it (out of the box). there's even a flight sim grognard conspiracy theory that if you fly an airliner into a national landmark the simulator will phone home and alert the nsa, lol

They need to license the rights to include airplane models from their respective manufacturers and if it's anything like putting real car models in driving games, civil airplane manufacturers may not be ok with their planes appearing in a game alongside military aircrafts or in a game where you can destroy things

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

also, you need to load terrain in a circle around the plane, not just in the area underneath. so the amount of data required will change with viewing distance. if i fly a cessna 152 at 100 knots on a clear day with 20-mile visibility, i need to have roughly 1 million acres in memory and i need to load/unload about 54,000 acres per minute. obviously there's some lod/mip-mapping optimizations but that's the general case.

there's never been any suggestion that you'd be able to cache an "appreciable fraction of the globe." the local caching will likely be, like, one city at a time so that you can still land and take off and buzz your house without internet access.

yeah they probably have lower levels of details (both reduced textures and low poly models/terrain) for distant stuff that they can stream much faster and use that as place holder for the high detail scenery if it's not streamed yet.

the caching probably work as a tiling system rather than per city, where the map is split into a grid. It's the easiest way to handle super large maps like those. That's what The Crew does, for instance (and asobo would be familiar with that btw since they ported it to the x360)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

What I really wanna know is.. how realistic are the crashes?

I don't wanna see some cop-out text screen of "Oh, aww, you made an oopsie, we're not going to render an exploding plane just so you can get your chuckles. Close your eyes and pretend you see blossoms of explosive carnage"

I wouldn't get my hopes up for that, this is probably where they run into licensing issues with the airplane manufacturers who probably don't want them to depict damaged versions of their planes or graphic crashes

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

merry chrimbus

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQFmpakz9Yo

looks like ~ai~ is good for something, finally; namely, converting orthographic photo textures to look like winter. first time i've seen anything like this in a flight sim. i hope they also have fall textures so i can fly over the east with all the colorful trees.

i love that shot of the tiny snowed-over town at 0:40. looks like where my grandma lives

you're sure they're using ai for the snow? its possible to do some pretty good procedural snow effect almost only with shaders. its what the crew 2 does for instance

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

i assume that they're using ~ai~ to convert the orthographic ground textures, so like identifying roads and fields and parking lots and adjusting those areas of the texture appropriately, and to do stuff like selectively apply snow to the tops of buildings (see the chicago shot in the video).

but idk maybe shaders are capable of more than i know

blending some white into the color as the normal vector approaches vertical orientation + excluding areas from a mask generated from projecting a shadow from the top (to avoid rendering snow underneath things) gets you most of the way there

however its true that the crew 2 uses some specific road textures but it knows where the roads are since they are procedurally generated (offline) whereas in fs sim they have to identify them from pictures. or perhaps they are using road data from bing

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

akadajet posted:

yeah, I had to try a few times before it actually started downloading stuff. solid first impression.

yeah the installation process is terrible

me it crashed to desktop near the end of downloading the last huge package. in the package directory I could see all the uncompressed files for it still sitting around and yet after starting it again it skipped the downloader and went straight to the main menu as if everything was ok

didn't even bother trying to start a game and reinstalled it

(told yall earlier in the thread that asobo got some clown dna)

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
wait until you hear about cock pits

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngrDcpL94nM