Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What a horrible day
to have a launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Having watched more videos online I take it back - the art style looks great, it's the character design only that I dislike. The backgrounds and everything look pretty nice!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Does Nightmare do anything obviously spoilery off the bat or is it just a gently caress You Hard Mode

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Guys

Castlevania's back and good again

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I find the games lack of visual polish fascinating. We are in an era where games will crimp on gameplay and features to spend more time on looking pretty but this game is really solid and well made and just sort of comfortable with looking unrefined.

A little bit more visual tell on the hitboxes would be nice though - I died to the first boss the first time and had to use two potions the second because I couldn't tell when the tentacles could and couldn't hurt me, which combined with the lack of way to interrupt your animations like in the old games (afaict) leads to you taking four hits for most of your health because they hit you, then the water, then the squids, then the boss's hitbox.

Got it on the third try with the whip though - the starting claymore sucks a bit on top of it all :v:

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 19, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How's the waystone supposed to work I used it the moment I picked it up wondering if it's infinite use

it's not

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Un

Deux

gently caress, Un

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What are some of the other secret moves weapons have? I've only stumbled onto the shoe kick so far

And what does mastery do? I missed the explanation on accident

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

The whip is neat if you like the whip moveset... personally I'm not a fan of the hitbox or how slow they are.

I ended up taking the Encrypted Orchid because lightning lightsaber, what's not to like? The hadouken move on it kinda sucks until you upgrade it/put a lightning ring on, then it becomes quite good.

Try doing hadoukens or backward hadouken -> forward switch (QCB+F) on everything, that's how the majority work.

The oddballs are the knife boots which are down down attack in the air and the Nodachi/its cousins which you can tap forward twice and attack to do a parry stance.

Everything has a move, as far as I've seen, other than the short and long swords, unless I'm just an idiot.

I guess I just haven't gotten a second weapon that can yet? Only the kung fu shoes responded to hadoukens so far. I love how much hidden poo poo there is so far and how smug I felt when I used the kung fu UN DEUX TRfuck to get to something early

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I think there's just one thing besides the lack of visual clarity I dislike and that's that boy do I not like listening to Miriam shriek every time I get a shard

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Phantasium posted:

This has been my goto, but then I crafted the lightning shard from the harpies on the train into a better lightning shard and it just shits so much damage at once I killed the library boss without getting hit in the first five seconds.

There's an option to turn off the soul shard get thing, idk if that turns off the voice clip and animation but it might be worth a try.

Thanks, I'll try that and see. It's kind of uncomfortable!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So when they patch the game on Steam everyone is going to need to restart their whole game because of the chest thing?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of ammo ups what's the starting default maximum for SP/HP rounds? I only have like ten anyway but I want to know if I should be judicious in using them or just pull my gats out at will (I know I have infinite lovely ammo but still)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

yeesh, what triggered this bug?

The patch probably touched a flag it shouldn't have

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Deified Data posted:

So if you started before the flag are you hosed? Want to know if I should just start over now.

I'd like to know too :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The kung fu shoes hadouken tech moves you forward in mid air. It's handy!

Deified Data posted:

Okay I should be good then, I haven't reached that area yet.

Wouldn't that be bad since it means it'll already be open?

I'm like a couple hours in so I may as well restart

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Givin posted:

The only thought of Hollow Knight I've had in the past 24 hours is how much I'll never want to play that poo poo ever again and just want Iga to keep making these games so nobody else has to.

Yes

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have a flying pig, a chainsaw, and a blunderbuss pistol and pirate hat. Here I come, Hell

I appreciate that the 8-bit coin items aren't really any stronger than anything else, just cute little whatevers. I also appreciate that the crafting is mostly irrelevant and you don't have to engage with it unless you really want to, since there's plenty to explore and grab that way, something most games get wrong (even some Castlevanias!).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I beat boss 2 by walking underneath him, poking his rear end, and eating two pizzas (and I didn't even need the second) :shrug:

JBP posted:

I feel like the Encrypted Orchid is way stronger than anything else and it stuns stuff on top. I haven't been using anything else even when the attack number is higher. It just blows stuff away.

Oh, I got the guns lol so going off that and the stats I assumed

Curse sucks a whooooole lot in this game btw - that cywraeth thing is brutal -it just does half your health then halves your max, so if you're hurt and it touches you (and it has a homing offscreen swoop), you lose. If you're in an area with them keep topped up even if it's a waste of potions.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Jun 20, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What do you mean the giant ghost kitty shard doesn't give you a ghost kitty familiar 0/10 game refund immediately

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

So int is "casting speed" according to the augment shard. Is con hp and mind magic damage?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JBP posted:

I thought mnd mitigated magic damage taken. It's in the defensive stat zone.

:shrug:

I assume strength increases physical attack damage so something should affect the magic damage right? I never really paid a lot of attention to the stats in CV beyond Number Go Up :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thanks guys I didn't realize the shard actually did more than just adding a point to Int so I conflated the description for it for what the stat does

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

familiars are even worse because they have grade, rank, and level!

The silver knight's a champ; leveling up seems to increase how often it attacks and blocks for you and how much it does when hitting.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ImpAtom posted:

They are kickstarter backers

Who's the kickstarter backer with the hosed up eyes that follow you around :v:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Spectral Werewolf posted:

I wish I switched to console when they announced they were no longer supporting Mac and Linux. A controller seems like it would be the best control scheme but I can't seem to get any of my controllers to work with Windows. Keyboard and mouse is really awkward and not easy to use for things like QCF + Kick for a combo move.

Wired Xbox 360 controllers are plug and play

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Fuzz posted:

Don't listen to this guy with his piece of poo poo peasant controller.

Get a Bone, Switch Pro, or DS4 controller. All of them work natively in Steam and unlike the 360 controller their D-Pads aren't smoking piles of poo poo.

Wow, rude

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm still outraged I don't get a demon cat familiar

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

MY SELF AND MY SHADOW :byodood:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Cowcaster posted:

after you get the double jump, holding down, or diagonal down/right or left, and hitting jump again will cause you to do a triangle kick. if you hit something with it you'll bounce up to the height of a normal jump off of it, and it'll reset your double jump so you can use it again.

The game tracks your longest kickin' spree too

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The only bug I've seen on pc so far is items will get stuck in walls or areas you can't physically reach but it seems to just automatically give you whatever it is if you can't get to it anyway

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It sounds like the gun backer item is the only one that doesn't do anything interesting lol

So of course it's the one I got

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Jun 21, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Barudak posted:

You can break down backer items and get your coin back. Its 0 risk to make one.

Oh sweet thank you lol

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Der Shovel posted:

I entered my backer code in the start menu and nothing happened as far as I could tell so vOv

No, the one you can buy - Rei's Requiem or something. It's just a slightly stronger gun.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Eggs are good bindin'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AngryRobotsInc posted:

I found once you learned the range of his jumping at you, he was pretty easy to dodge back from, and either jump over or just whack him a few times in the face. He telegraphs his moves pretty hard.

Just go under him when he jumps

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

It isn't difficult, it's just fun

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

There's a book in the livre ex machina the silver knight flips out attack but you can't interact with - has anyone figured that out? It's the one above the rotating bookshelf to get to the crow mask.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

electrigger posted:

I think i'm being misunderstood when I criticize this game. Again, I'll reiterate, I like this game, it certainly does hearken back to games I loved. My major problem is that it basically does NOTHING BUT hearken back to games I loved.

When this game was announced the idea was hey you guys miss that good old igavania feel? Do you miss Symphony of the Night? Do you miss a handful of Nintendo DS games? Well boy we are cooking up a game for you! It's going to be Symphony again, but its going to be juiced up, the finest example of a 2D platforming action game with RPG elements and an anime gothic aesthetic EVER baby. Those faceless corporate suits at Konami didn't want you to have it, but we're going to pursue the vision anyway!

Ok cool, I'm on board 100%. I'm so on board I'll give you money 5 years ahead of time in exchange for a wink and an IOU.

So what did we get in the end? It's loving SOTN again, just straight up with a few new bells and whistles. Are the graphics better than SOTN? Well no, SOTN is a loving gorgeous game, even by today's standards the art holds up. ROTN is graphically on par with like an Onechanbara game, and the framerate chugs often. Woof. Is the music better? In SOTN to this day I can start humming the stage's theme before I enter it during the transition hallway, the tunes are so catchy. Yeah that ain't happening with ROTN any time soon even if I play it for 300 hours.

They added a crafting system!

Cool if I combine 3 wiggles I get a wongle, combine 4 wongles and I get a Chateaubriand steak! Brilliant, game of the year. Let me spend the next 8 hours re-entering a screen so I can kill a bouncing goat head and collect as many wiggles as possible. I'm stoked.

The story is pure distilled anime retardation!

This is actually a plus for me given the context. I don't have any complaints about this actually.

In the purple walled cave level there is a long waterfall and a grotto filled with annoying jumpy frog enemies who ribbet and bounce with a *sproing!* sound effect. Wow they designed parts of this game so that Son Goku could hammer fist a railroad spike directly into the gland in your skull that squirts happy juice whenever you see something you liked from back when you were thirteen. Yep that's all I need to see before I declare this game to be the second coming.

I literally groaned when I saw this in the game. There's a fine line between homage and creatively bankrupt, and I'm not convinced at all that we aren't in the second area.

Look if the game was hyped this much, but it isn't even close to being as good as the original even, what was the point? Those fat cat fuckers at Konami were...right?

It's hard for me to get truly excited about this game after all this time especially when Humble Bundle bait bargain bin games like loving Guacamelee are more tightly designed and have more engaging combat even.

Yeah I got what I paid for instead of garbage like hollow knight I'm p happy about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Guacamelee is a good game. RotN is also a good game.

Guac is great, much like its namesake